Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

so, there's a loud humming noise when i drive my car at any speed...

25K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  TNT 
#1 ·
Mechanic claims its a bad wheel bearing, but he's already taken apart both driver side wheels and found nothing wrong....

he said maybe its the right, but i am doubtful..

Only thing I can think of is I had gotten a set of Sunny SN3800 tires, and the treads seem to be very loud... could this be it? this noise wasnt here before those tires.

Adam

#2 ·
The tires could cause the humming noise, but I wouldn't think it would be that loud. Where does it sound like it is originating and does it get louder/faster sounding with speed? Mine did that and got to the point it sounded like I had mud tires on the Tib, it turned out to be one of the rear bearings.

#4 ·
Does it go away or sound different when you turn?

#5 · (Edited)
sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt...

although i can definitely say that i think driving on fresh snow (where theres no friction from the pavement) produced less of the sound than normal...

Have a look here for some info on the tires:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-tires-wheels/135979-sunny-sn3800.html

It may very well be a right rear bearing... My mechanic only took apart the two driver side wheels... unfortunately this means im gunna have to give him $300 and i dont want to do that...

is there any way this can be a DIY thing?

Adam

Also heres a pic of the tread:

#7 ·
Jack up the right rear and put your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and try wiggle the wheel then try 12 and 6 o'clock. It should be nice and tight if it's okay. If it moves, it's probably bad.

#9 ·
If the noise wasn't there before the tires, then its probably the hard compound of the tires. My friend had a subaru legacy turbo with cheap Triangle brand tires that sounded like big knobby truck tires because the compound was so dense.

#11 ·
100% positive it is the tires. I have a loud noise with my tires as well... They are cheap Chinese tires and they like to sing while at speed.

Solution, don't be cheap like me and get good (non-Chinese) tires.

#13 ·
Yep. I did my right side last night. Doesn't hurt to lay down some extra red grease on the end of the hub/axle and on the journals where the bearing spins. Just follow the diy, it's very detailed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.