New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums - View Single Post - Want to build a custom exhaust? Read this first!
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Spartacus
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Re: Want to build a custom exhaust? Read this first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutTibby View Post
I got the ARK DT-S v2, i love it, but i need to weld in a high flow cat, i have headers and even o2sims dont get rid of the codes, keep that in mind, but its tough to find a custom exhaust shop that can do 304 stainless mandrel bent exhaust tig welded, with good quality mufflers and resonators, most shops use crush bends, so that means if you do a 2.5 inch exhaust, at the bends it tacks it down to 2 and a quarter which sucks, go with mandrel if possible.
Yeah, this is true. Before I decided to weld my exhaust myself, I looked around for some shops to do it for me, and didn't find much. My advice would be to avoid just exhaust/muffler shops, their work is generally cheapest and they usually don't work with stainless. Every big city has more than one real custom-fab performance shop though. Check a shop like this' site for examples of their work. If they do engine swaps and such, they will be able to tig weld stainless no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctibby View Post
What a great Sticky! Spartacus has done his homework. My custom exhaust is almost exactly what he recommends and has a nice, deep, smooth sound, somewhere between a loud 350Z and a Mustang GT sound. It is a catback, all mandrel-bent 2.5 inch 304 stainless, underaxle, with a large Hushpower II res and Aero SS mufflers very similar to the Borla XR1, with quad tips. It cost $1200 parts and labor and took the shop in Pasadena, MD 10 hours to design (using CAD) build and install/tune. I've had it 5 years now and it still looks and sounds brand new.
Thank you sir.
Nice setup! Looks great and I'm sure it sounds great. A setup like yours ought to silence the many custom exhaust haters on this site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome