What would happen if you connected your battery backwards? [Archive] - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

: What would happen if you connected your battery backwards?

AJD 4 ND
02-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Yes, dumb question but I was just curious as to what would actually happened if you connected your battery backwards meaning you connected the positive with the connection requiring a negative post and vice-versa??

Edit: since this has turned into a joke since noone has an educated response or idea of what would happen, I raised this question for one reason. In attempt to sell my red top battery I was asked if the negative and positive posts are backwards on the redtop... that got me thinking as to WHAT IF someone actually installed their battery backwards obviously not realizing they did so... what would happen

breeechan
02-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I would think it would fry the computer.

Desert_Sage
02-02-2009, 11:03 PM
if you did that, then you would have completely wasted a good battery. so yeah DONT DO IT! lol

AJD 4 ND
02-02-2009, 11:10 PM
I guess I should have posted this in the tech area... I guess thats just the NT attitude... if you dont know the answer or have an educated response, you make a joke lol

farewell_goodbye2u
02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
wow. i see a lot of infractions being handed out in this thread.

not one useful post?

pretty sure your battery will be screwed and possibly other electrical components.

chris_07_tib_gs
02-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Okay seriously, I don't think it would even do anything, but I have never tried it, nor do I know anyone who has. But I guess there is a chance you could blow all of your fuses, cuz that's what happens when you cross a positive wire with a negative wire.

Why do you ask? Did you accidentally do this? Or are you thinking of doing it? And if so........WHY?

JPGreco
02-02-2009, 11:18 PM
your battery would be fine, though your electronics might suffer. You would be running the power through the ground so there would be no fuses in line to protect anything.

AJD 4 ND
02-02-2009, 11:19 PM
edit To The First Post!!! I Guess I Have To Explain Myself More To Make This A Bit More Serious Thread

tibbyT
02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Okay back on topic if you do this you can basiaclly blow fuses and anything that has to do with semiconductors or transistors. Doing this can also screw up anything that has to do with a the battery. But dont listen to Im just a post whore

DutchMaster0011
02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
It should just blow the main fuse of the car, before it would do any damage to all your electrical components.

I did that a long time ago to my lawnmower and it shorted out everything. Cooked the wires, smoke was everywhere. The new battery I bought was a different brand and the terminals were backwards compared to the old one I took out. Thats what I got for not double checking.

jprophecy
02-03-2009, 12:08 AM
* sigh* What ever happened to the days on a car forum where no question was a dum question when some one was looking to educa there selves. You all should be ashamed. Sorry ajd, Hooking up the battery in revers polarity could potentioaly be very harmful and very dangerouse. It is possible that the reverse surge could cause the battery to explode, most battery cases are built very durably, but it could still explode, with that a power surge large enough could destroy all the electronic components in your vehicle, kinda like an ungrounded house getting hit by lightning and all your home electronics not being hooked up to a surge protecter. You could hope the fuse box would protect it but it may not.

AJD 4 ND
02-03-2009, 12:12 AM
* sigh* What ever happened to the days on a car forum where no question was a dum question when some one was looking to educa there selves. You all should be ashamed. Sorry ajd, Hooking up the battery in revers polarity could potentioaly be very harmful and very dangerouse. It is possible that the reverse surge could cause the battery to explode, most battery cases are built very durably, but it could still explode, with that a power surge large enough could destroy all the electronic components in your vehicle, kinda like an ungrounded house getting hit by lightning and all your home electronics not being hooked up to a surge protecter. You could hope the fuse box would protect it but it may not.

thats the kind of response I was looking for :3_winkthu I know it seems kind of like an obvious question and obv. the result probably wouldnt be very good but I was just curious as to what would be expected if this happened or what the risks were

jprophecy
02-03-2009, 12:19 AM
thats the kind of response I was looking for :3_winkthu I know it seems kind of like an obvious question and obv. the result probably wouldnt be very good but I was just curious as to what would be expected if this happened or what the risks were

Yea well the result shouldnt be that being that the purpose of a car forum is so we can all help educate each other about anything to do with cars no matter how strange or silly the question may seem, people seem to have lost sight of that. But Im glad I can be of help to any one here on the forum.

Rushr
02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Thread cleaned up, although I may have made it a little late.

Anyway, to those of you who posted useless crap consider this a warning. I'm getting tired of seeing this kind of stuff going on. Next time I see something from one of you making fun of someones question you will get an infraction for useless posting. If it's your post count your worried about we can reset that too if you'd like.

To the OP....I apologize man, I guess some people can't try and answer a question or leave the thread alone if they don't know.

skout
02-03-2009, 12:54 AM
The battery should be OK, but some of your electronics would be fried. I doubt there will be a low enough of a resistance with the terminals backwards to cause the battery to explode. Even if there were to be a low enough resistance for the battery to explode, the fuses would pop before the battery could reach that kind of critical point.

jprophecy
02-03-2009, 12:59 AM
The battery should be OK, but some of your electronics would be fried. I doubt there will be a low enough of a resistance with the terminals backwards to cause the battery to explode. Even if there were to be a low enough resistance for the battery to explode, the fuses would pop before the battery could reach that kind of critical point.

Believe it or not It can Ive seen it happen before, and battery acid is nasty!

markstibbyspot
02-03-2009, 01:12 AM
time to come up with a story and email mythbusters

jprophecy
02-03-2009, 01:19 AM
time to come up with a story and email mythbusters

LOL yea how bout it, actualy though ive seen to diferent senarios, One was a new battery instal, got hooked up backwards baterry cracked in half, the other was a jump where the cables got hooked wrong, the negetive termanal and wire melted right off, and again the battery cracked open.

skout
02-03-2009, 02:02 AM
haha well yeah if you hook up a running car with jumper cables backwards it forces current the opposite direction into the weaker battery. Naturally it would go supernova in that situation.

I second that mythbusters idea, i don't have any extra beaters I could test the explosion theory so let's leave it up to them ;)

V6Tibby
02-03-2009, 03:22 AM
ok well i just started a thread on the mythbusters website asking what would happen if you made this mistake. Here is a link that way you can follow what other peoples response are.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=6941912904&f=7501919888&m=40719982001&r=40719982001#40719982001

Von Zipper
02-03-2009, 03:42 AM
My brother did it on my S13 a couple of months ago. He was almost killed. Not from the battery, but from a beat down he should have received.

Just blew out some of the big fuses under the hood.

skout
02-03-2009, 04:22 AM
I did some research and retract my statement. If it weren't for the alternator you would probably be safe. It looks like hooking up a battery backwards will flow freely through your alternator's diodes (the right way) directly from - to + unless there is a fuse in the circuit. I don't recall any fuses being in an alternator circuit so it is possible for the battery to explode if your wires don't melt first. Most everything else on an automobile is on a fused circuit.

Here is a schematic diagram of an older alternator.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/trouble/alternator.jpg

The current would flow from - (which would be the + in the diagram) straight through the isolator diode and through all 6 diodes in the diode tree to the + (which is would be the ground in the diagram with the triangle line things next to the 6 diode tree.)

So yes the battery could potentially explode if there are no fuses in the alternator circuit when you attached the battery backwards. This is also assuming the diodes can handle a few hundred amps long enough to pop the battery.

hotWheelz
02-03-2009, 04:42 AM
You would probably destroy the diodes first leaving the circuit open.

yllrshark
02-03-2009, 10:10 AM
You could fry the 'shipping fuse' if you did something this stupid , Don't ask how i know ! Nothing else was damaged .

Ziggy86
02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Good times would happen! hehe:3_winkthu

AJD 4 ND
02-03-2009, 11:46 AM
now these are the type of responses I was looking for... and another thing, as dumb as this mistake is, are the connection wires in your engine bay even labeled? if so I do not recall them being labeled very clearly altho I have not checked

yllrshark
02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
The cables are not labelled but the battery posts are different sizes so if your brain is even halfway in gear you should have some clue that maybe , just maybe something isn't just right .

HL3dsx
02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=AJD 4 ND;2905809]Yes, dumb question but I was just curious as to what would actually happened if you connected your battery backwards meaning you connected the positive with the connection requiring a negative post and vice-versa??

Honestly I don't think it would do much of anything. Positive power requirements versus the negative side of the battery are way different. Now if you put both plugs on the positive end and grounded the battery.. that could possibly suck.

It's like a flashlight, if you put the batteries in upside down it stays dark in the hallway. You put them right side up you can see.. :)

dlanes
02-04-2009, 05:19 PM
It happends rarely since the positive terminal is larger than the negative terminal to help avoid this. I would asume a lot of fuses being blown and some electrical damage would occur.

Honesly I have never seen someone do it by mistake, only seen someone hook jumper cables up backwards. That created a huge amount of sparks and the battery almost exploded (battery gas and spark = boom). Always jump your battery the correct way.

dernt
02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Thread cleaned up, although I may have made it a little late.

Anyway, to those of you who posted useless crap consider this a warning. I'm getting tired of seeing this kind of stuff going on. Next time I see something from one of you making fun of someones question you will get an infraction for useless posting. If it's your post count your worried about we can reset that too if you'd like.

Could you do this in each and every thread? Lol

To the OP, I have the same thoughts as everyone else in that it may blow some fuses but I really don't think the exploding battery theory would pan out. If you hooked it up backwards and then started the car (if it even would), then there might be some serious damage.

Keach
02-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I wish I could remember exactly what the guy was doing, but I've witnessed first hand a battery explode and it is NO joke. Acid goes everywhere and in this case the hard plastic housing of the battery broke into pieces (very jagged pieces) one of which hit the kid directly in the face, giving him a pretty nasty gash. All I can say is I don't really know what would happen, but after seeing that I don't care to find out. Made me a lot more careful when working on/around the battery. (I think he might have shorted the battery with a wrench when putting on the positive battery cable)

SRomanii28
02-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Last summer I wanted to switch batteries and while I was foolishly checking out bootleg DVD's, the mechanic switched the connectors (as they did not reach the terminals of the Optima at first)...
The alarm would not stop, fuses burnt, the voltage dummy lights were on, kept getting readings of 11/10 even with the Hid's and radio, ac off.
I thought the alternator was shot but thankfully it was a matter of replacing fuses.
I thanked the stars as it was a big difference between almost 40.00 in fuses as opposed to 4-500.00 for a new alternator.

I shake my head as a "Qualified mechanic" that I tipped previously (sigh) argued that he knows what he was doing and actually connected pos-neg. I voiced to him that even I know you don't connect pos-neg and neg-pos.
I really want to put his shop on blast though I will say be wary of 24hr mechanic shops.

Yes, I should have gotten the torque wrench and install the battery myself but It was after closing at auto parts stores and I wanted to have it put in.
Thankfully my desperation then and lack of thinking did not put me in a bigger $ hole.

08Shark
02-13-2009, 08:29 PM
well, i honestly have never had this problem happen, but as a car audio installer i can tell you that it would not be good. most certainly fuses would blow and really it just depends on how far through the current made it. i mean power is going through the ground (Chassis of the entire car) i'm just using my imagination on what would happen here... haha professionally though i think you would no something was up after a few seconds. probly hear fuses blow, im pretty sure there would be a spark when the ground hit the positive on the battery though as there always is such as crossing jumper cables... just always look for the + and - on the battery, if your any kind of electrician you should no instructions and caution are #1 cause sh*t can happen fast if a wire goes some wheres it shouldn't :)

Msteve121
02-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Having actually seen someone hook one up backwards, I'll tell ya its almost scary. Keeping mind that everything in your car is grounded so when you attach your positive lead to the ground everything now becomes live and is looking to ark. On the car I saw, the starter actually tried to spin, possibly backwards, and quite a bit of smoke stated coming out of different parts of the engine bay. Most of the lights turned on since polarity doesn't make a difference. The horn also was going nuts. It was disconnected pretty quickly so there wasn't an permanent damage. But, ya don't do it!!! lol

Msteve121
02-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Having actually seen someone hook one up backwards, I'll tell ya its almost scary. Keeping mind that everything in your car is grounded so when you attach your positive lead to the ground everything now becomes live and is looking to ark. On the car I saw, the starter actually tried to spin, possibly backwards, and quite a bit of smoke stated coming out of different parts of the engine bay. Most of the lights turned on since polarity doesn't make a difference. The horn also was going nuts. It was disconnected pretty quickly so there wasn't an permanent damage. But, ya don't do it!!! lol