03 tib subwoofer wiring question [Archive] - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

: 03 tib subwoofer wiring question

bowenboy
03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
ok I just bought an 03 tib gt (manual 6 speed if it matters) and spent this morning installing subs and an amp. I wanted to leave the stock deck in so a came up with a retarded way of making it happen. I ran the power wire from the battery to the amp. the remote wire from the power wire through a toggle switch on the dash and then to the amp. and used the rear factory sub wire and a high level adapter to convert it into an rca output and then ran the rca to the amp. I wired everything up and turned on the radio and flipped the toggle switch. the amp turns on but no sound came out of the sub. I'm thinking its the adapter bc i wasnt sure which of the stock wires were positive/negative and right/left. any ideas what could be wrong???

bobditts
03-03-2007, 08:14 PM
did you properly ground the amp?

bowenboy
03-04-2007, 01:23 PM
yes. the amp is grounded to a bolt in the trunk. I grinded the paint under the bolt to get a good ground. the amp turns on but i have no sound out of the subs. i still think its the converter bc when i mess with it a get some static throught the subs. so i think its wired wrong. anyone know the pos/negative and right/left on the stock sub wires. when i cut the harness off i was left with four wires. black/orange, black, green/orange, green. any ideas on whats what? thanks in advance. :2_smile:

bobditts
03-04-2007, 01:38 PM
| LF SPEAKER|white - brown | |radio or amplifier *4 |
| RF SPEAKER|black - yellow | |radio or amplifier *4 |
| LR SPEAKER|blue - red | |radio or amplifier *4 |
| RR SPEAKER|green - orange | |radio or amplifier *4 |

bowenboy
03-04-2007, 03:30 PM
what? then what are the other wires? i took out the stock subwoofer and cut the harness off exposing 4 wires: black/orange. black. green/orange. green. I'm trying to hook up a converter to it to use it as my rca output. how do I hook it up? the converter has four wires: grey. grey/black. white. white/black. I'm so lost on this converter thing. :3_frusty:

bobditts
03-04-2007, 04:03 PM
the converter you speak of is designed to tap into the rear speaker wires, not the existing sub.

bowenboy
03-04-2007, 06:59 PM
i thought those wires going into the stock sub were the rear speaker wires? i just cut them and put the converter there. so where do I hook it into?

bobditts
03-04-2007, 07:42 PM
the rear speaker wires go to the rear speakers. the stock sub has dedicated wires to the amp.

bowenboy
03-04-2007, 10:11 PM
so i cant run the converter off the sub wires? what should I do then? if i use the rear speaker wires wont i lose power to the rear speakers? I'm completely lost now. help please.

bobditts
03-05-2007, 12:51 AM
just run the converter off the rear speakers. you wont lose any power. ideally though, you should upgrade your HU and run RCAs to the amp.

bowenboy
03-05-2007, 04:35 PM
yeah I'm just gonna get a new hu once I save up the money. this is just temporary. thanks for the info.