The Definitive CAI Explanation Thread - Page 2 - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #26 of 143 Old 03-12-2004, 07:12 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SilverGt is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Definitive CAI Explanation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danpgh25
Hi,

Another stupid question...Are there other ways to make sure water doesnt get in..I know the bpv but is there anything else that could help?

Thanks,
Dan
I've read on the board that Injen is making a SRI for the Tib. Here's the link Where to buy Injen SRI? Started to search the net, but did not find anything. I think AJ (Fixer) can get them. If he hasn't moved he lives close to Injen!

Aluminum Pedals, Motegi DP5 Hyper Black Rims, Tuscani Badges and Sills, Caps on Stockers, Injen CAI, S2000 antenna, Alpine HU, Diamond Audio components, 12 inch JL Audio sub, 300/4 JL amp, 500/1 JL Audio Sub amp, Clear Corners, Chrome Handles, GReddy CB

Last edited by SilverGt; 03-12-2004 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 143 Old 03-12-2004, 07:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

J-Fizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danpgh25
Hi,

Another stupid question...Are there other ways to make sure water doesnt get in..I know the bpv but is there anything else that could help?

Thanks,
Dan
You can buy a heat shield that may help rain that passes through the front grill from soaking the filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 143 Old 03-14-2004, 12:42 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

TheNakedSki is an unknown quantity at this point

ok here's yet another dumb question, if i put a CAI on my car and it rains or I take it to a car wash is it gonna hydrolock? or will it take alot more to do that?

post #29 of 143 Old 03-14-2004, 07:18 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

SilverGt is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNakedSki
ok here's yet another dumb question, if i put a CAI on my car and it rains or I take it to a car wash is it gonna hydrolock? or will it take alot more to do that?
The intake filter would need to be submerged in water to cause damage. However, if I get the underspray during the winter months to get rid of salt I shut down the car as I go thru the system (just in case). I also installed the heat shield facing the front of the car as a precaution in heavy rain.

Aluminum Pedals, Motegi DP5 Hyper Black Rims, Tuscani Badges and Sills, Caps on Stockers, Injen CAI, S2000 antenna, Alpine HU, Diamond Audio components, 12 inch JL Audio sub, 300/4 JL amp, 500/1 JL Audio Sub amp, Clear Corners, Chrome Handles, GReddy CB
post #30 of 143 Old 03-14-2004, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

Bass_Droppa is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)

I'm not really a fan of BPV's...on the old forum, a member did an experiment; he took a CAI w/ BPV, then submerged the filter in a bucket of water...then, a vacuum was used to simulate the suck of the intake manifold...water still got past the BPV. Essentially, there has to be a BIG volume of water traveling up the pipe to trigger the BPV; if it's only small amounts, it can sneak by.

I have driven in HEAVY downpours and deep snow, and haven't had a problem...just be careful and stay out of deep puddles....cuz lets face it, you can tell when puddle is too deep

JOHN KERRY: There are TWO sides to every issue; and I agree with BOTH of them!!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31 of 143 Old 04-07-2004, 09:12 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

jamesklyne is an unknown quantity at this point

About the MPG thing... Just because your car is only sucking in more air, doesn't mean that the ECU wouldn't compensate with more fuel using reading from the MAF sensor. It really depends on how the ECU is setup and how sensitive it is. That's the whole point of using MAF setup instead of Speed Density. MAF allow the ECU to adjust according to engine mods via sensor readings where Speed Density has a preprogrammed set of tables.

On the K&N issue... If you gum up your MAF sensor with oil from a K&N filter you jacked up and used too much oil when cleaning it (Don't clean a new one either, cause it's not dirty and is preoiled). I wouldn't waste my money on any other "performance" filter than a K&N. Well, actually I'm cheap and use a paper filter, but that's because I need beer money.

2003 Tiburon GT V6 6spd. (Wife's)
1999 Mustang
1987 Thunderbird TurboCoupe, HY35 Turbo, FAST!
1986 Mustang 5.0 Turbo Turd
post #32 of 143 Old 04-07-2004, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesklyne
About the MPG thing... Just because your car is only sucking in more air, doesn't mean that the ECU wouldn't compensate with more fuel using reading from the MAF sensor. It really depends on how the ECU is setup and how sensitive it is. That's the whole point of using MAF setup instead of Speed Density. MAF allow the ECU to adjust according to engine mods via sensor readings where Speed Density has a preprogrammed set of tables.

On the K&N issue... If you gum up your MAF sensor with oil from a K&N filter you jacked up and used too much oil when cleaning it (Don't clean a new one either, cause it's not dirty and is preoiled). I wouldn't waste my money on any other "performance" filter than a K&N. Well, actually I'm cheap and use a paper filter, but that's because I need beer money.
welcome! And you're @ Offutt...I live in the new dorm, Bldg. 367, room 309A...small world!! I dunno...I've had a RActive filter on my intake for almost a year now and its been fine...

JOHN KERRY: There are TWO sides to every issue; and I agree with BOTH of them!!!!!!
post #33 of 143 Old 04-11-2004, 07:07 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

CustomTuscani is an unknown quantity at this point

Awsome post!!! Can u please PM me when u have a chance. I purchased a Custom CAI what should my biggest concern be? Also I read how the car may shut down why and how does this happen exactly? Does it happen alot??

Donne e motori, giora e dolore-Women & Cars, Joy & Pain
Drive Hard, Drive Safe, Drive a Tiburon
Are you
Bored?
Tiered?
Lonely?
Lacking excitment in your life?
Then ask your doctor if CustomTuscani is right for you
post #34 of 143 Old 04-12-2004, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Expert

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTuscani
Awsome post!!! Can u please PM me when u have a chance. I purchased a Custom CAI what should my biggest concern be? Also I read how the car may shut down why and how does this happen exactly? Does it happen alot??
thanks! But I think I may have over-exaggerated the hydrolock problem. For the record, you MUST submerge your car's front wheels in about 8-10 inches of water before you will have a problem. I can think of only a HANDFUL (meaning 2 or 3) people who have hydrolocked their Deltas on this board, and only one that actually cracked his block from it (forget who...). Its VERY HARD to do this. Even TORRENTIAL driving rain will not cause a problem.

All summed up, when it comes to [$$$ per HP], a CAI is the best mod you'll ever do outside of F/I...its almost a mandatory mod.

post #35 of 143 Old 04-14-2004, 07:57 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

incubus is an unknown quantity at this point

If an SRI makes less power than a CAI.. How comes most supercharger (rippmods sds, ...) solutions have their filter in the engine bay? I have a SRI, but am thinking about CAI - i live in a very hot area.. 30 seconds maximum and my engine bay is an oven.

-michael
post #36 of 143 Old 04-16-2004, 01:09 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

badboyaqua is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking My Sri

I got my SRI from autozone for about $40 bucks. Being somewhat knowlege about car (my old 85 chevy always something to fix) I needed to get a 3" pipe to connected mine SRI. I do agree all CAI are the same .... its the style .. this also includes the SRI. I just say go what you have or the money to do so. Yes CAI is better then SRI ... but both are better then stock. So whatever your budget is go for wither one (whatever brand).

also here are some pictures from my cardomain website of my SRI I got from autozone and connected it to a 3" stainlesss steel muffler pipe (only stainless steel pipe me and my frinds had around) which is connected to the stock flex pipe.

post #37 of 143 Old 04-23-2004, 01:41 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

callmemiss is an unknown quantity at this point

so why can i not find any CIA's for a '04/4cyl
all i see is v6 this and v6 that, or '01 here and '01 there.
they have to be out there somewhere

i ran into my ex boyfriend, so i put it in reverse and hit him again.
post #38 of 143 Old 04-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Keep it tight Do it Right

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
NoSloppy will become famous soon enough
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemiss
so why can i not find any CIA's for a '04/4cyl
all i see is v6 this and v6 that, or '01 here and '01 there.
they have to be out there somewhere
brand new technology called Google search =
http://www.2kracing.com/product_info...oducts_id/3982

hope that helps.

Last edited by NoSloppy; 04-23-2004 at 03:59 PM.
post #39 of 143 Old 04-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Keep it tight Do it Right

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
NoSloppy will become famous soon enough
Garage

Is there and opinion on this? :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33659

I have no need to have it look awesome, or be a brand name. Just cheap and do the job.
Will the 2.5 over a 3" really noticibly change performance?
It IS Mandel Bent....

As someone else once posted, "I need beer money."
Thx

I drive a 2003 v6 GT 5-speed
post #40 of 143 Old 04-23-2004, 04:16 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

bball2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My Sri

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyaqua
I got my SRI from autozone for about $40 bucks. Being somewhat knowlege about car (my old 85 chevy always something to fix) I needed to get a 3" pipe to connected mine SRI. I do agree all CAI are the same .... its the style .. this also includes the SRI. I just say go what you have or the money to do so. Yes CAI is better then SRI ... but both are better then stock. So whatever your budget is go for wither one (whatever brand).

also here are some pictures from my cardomain website of my SRI I got from autozone and connected it to a 3" stainlesss steel muffler pipe (only stainless steel pipe me and my frinds had around) which is connected to the stock flex pipe.

Its not that one is better than the other, they are different. Our tibs have good low end power. Therefor a CAI is used more by the members because it increases power at the high end. SRI increases power at the low end. Thats the reason why most members use the CAI.

2K3 SILVER 5 SPEED
18" ADR MSPORT WHEELS,225/40/18, YOKOHAMA PARADA TIRES, INJEN CAI, SHARKRACING CHROME ANGEL EYES, CHROME FOG LIGHT RINGS, CUSTOM CHROME BILLET ALLUMINUM GRILL, TUSCANI CONVERSION, TUSCANI DOOR SILLS, BLUE STREET GLOW NEONS, B&G LOWERING SPRINGS, FRONT AND REAR RRM STRUT BARS, DIAMOND PLATE FLOORMATS, ROTORA SLOTTED ROTORS, SPEC STAGE 2 CLUTCH, FIDANZA FLYWHEEL.
post #41 of 143 Old 04-23-2004, 04:48 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

newtiby is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSloppy
Is there and opinion on this? :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33659

I have no need to have it look awesome, or be a brand name. Just cheap and do the job.
Will the 2.5 over a 3" really noticibly change performance?
It IS Mandel Bent....

As someone else once posted, "I need beer money."
Thx

I drive a 2003 v6 GT 5-speed
That is the "bomz racing" CAI. There is another intake on E-bay. I would look at that one. I have this one on my car and except for the weld lines in it, it works just fine. Just get a different filter, like a K&N filter. The one they give you sucks.

Tib owner no more
post #42 of 143 Old 04-26-2004, 01:41 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

ok+gt is an unknown quantity at this point

Wouldn't hood spacers or a vented hood alleviate some of the negatives of the SRI. Streets were I live have been known to flood BAD. Their have been times in 12 years of driving around here I've been in water to the top of my wheel well. Yikes.

post #43 of 143 Old 05-05-2004, 11:57 AM
NewTiburon.com God

TuscaniFX is an unknown quantity at this point

My car is currently with the Research and Product Development Department with K&N Performance Air Filters Europe. The car is being used to proto-type new K&N products. Watch this space!

post #44 of 143 Old 05-14-2004, 01:31 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Cyris is an unknown quantity at this point

Good info.. but the link to the DIY is broken.

Cyris
post #45 of 143 Old 06-10-2004, 11:23 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Speed_Machine is an unknown quantity at this point

Once the engine is hot can a SRI give less gain than the stock intake or does it always give at least a little gain over the stock setup.

Thanx
post #46 of 143 Old 06-22-2004, 04:48 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Suku is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

And remember kid, don't ever feed Suku crack cocaine
post #47 of 143 Old 06-22-2004, 04:54 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

marlonius is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Machine
Once the engine is hot can a SRI give less gain than the stock intake or does it always give at least a little gain over the stock setup.

Thanx
It depends on the SRI. If you are referring to SRI that looks like the one above, the gain will decrease as the engine gets hotter, but it should always be better than stock. Now, if you are talking about the Injen SRI made for our cars (pictured here), the gain is equal (if not better) to a CAI.

06 Clear Silver KIA Spectra5

03 Super Silver GT V6 (w/ USP3)...Traded on 7/20/06

Last edited by marlonius; 02-17-2005 at 12:05 PM.
post #48 of 143 Old 07-25-2004, 05:55 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Spector is an unknown quantity at this point

I am thinking about making something that would put the intake directly to the bottom front of the vehicle.. but im not sure if it would hinder more than help since it would increase the lenth of the intake about three feet just to get a "ram air" cold air intake effect. any ideas?

2004 Tiburon GTV6 Special Edition, six speed, Jet Black
post #49 of 143 Old 07-25-2004, 11:07 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Spector is an unknown quantity at this point

Woo hoo! I just did as i said in the last post and it works like a charm! I have a 4" diameter pipe connected from the filter box extending down and just right of the left fog light.

2004 Tiburon GTV6 Special Edition, six speed, Jet Black
post #50 of 143 Old 07-26-2004, 08:22 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

marlonius is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spector
Woo hoo! I just did as i said in the last post and it works like a charm! I have a 4" diameter pipe connected from the filter box extending down and just right of the left fog light.
Any pics? Notice any improvement?

06 Clear Silver KIA Spectra5

03 Super Silver GT V6 (w/ USP3)...Traded on 7/20/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.