The Definitive CAI Explanation Thread - Page 3 - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #51 of 143 Old 07-26-2004, 06:28 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spector is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Definitive CAI Explanation Thread

I noticed more sound, and I think my acceleration has improved.. But im not sure, because I just reached 1,000 miles and haven't really gunned it yet. I don't have any pics because I don't own a digital camera.

2004 Tiburon GTV6 Special Edition, six speed, Jet Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 143 Old 07-26-2004, 06:31 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

SilverGt is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spector
Woo hoo! I just did as i said in the last post and it works like a charm! I have a 4" diameter pipe connected from the filter box extending down and just right of the left fog light.
Seems to me to be good way to scoop up water in a hard rain at speed, or going thru a deep puddle. Did you think of any precautions there?

Aluminum Pedals, Motegi DP5 Hyper Black Rims, Tuscani Badges and Sills, Caps on Stockers, Injen CAI, S2000 antenna, Alpine HU, Diamond Audio components, 12 inch JL Audio sub, 300/4 JL amp, 500/1 JL Audio Sub amp, Clear Corners, Chrome Handles, GReddy CB
post #53 of 143 Old 07-26-2004, 07:25 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Spector is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I did. I never floods where I live, and how does ram air cars like some Firebirds, camaros and mustangs (among many others) are able to drive in rain and not worry about hyrdolock?

2004 Tiburon GTV6 Special Edition, six speed, Jet Black

post #54 of 143 Old 07-26-2004, 08:28 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spector
Yes, I did. I never floods where I live, and how does ram air cars like some Firebirds, camaros and mustangs (among many others) are able to drive in rain and not worry about hyrdolock?

Good point. Not sure how those intakes are designed. Sure they di something to mitigate possible water entering the system.

Aluminum Pedals, Motegi DP5 Hyper Black Rims, Tuscani Badges and Sills, Caps on Stockers, Injen CAI, S2000 antenna, Alpine HU, Diamond Audio components, 12 inch JL Audio sub, 300/4 JL amp, 500/1 JL Audio Sub amp, Clear Corners, Chrome Handles, GReddy CB
post #55 of 143 Old 07-29-2004, 05:42 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Juice Box is an unknown quantity at this point

How come I haven't seen CAI for a V6 5spd?? I've only seen it for 6spd Is there any difference between the two?
post #56 of 143 Old 07-29-2004, 07:50 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Box
How come I haven't seen CAI for a V6 5spd?? I've only seen it for 6spd Is there any difference between the two?
5spd or 6spd same thong. Only difference would be between v6 and i4.

post #57 of 143 Old 08-28-2004, 05:40 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

monkihead is an unknown quantity at this point

beautiful explination
post #58 of 143 Old 09-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

WayTooFast will become famous soon enough

where i live, i get rain in the spring and summer and so would a cai with a bpv and a heatshield be enough to prevent any possible hydrolocking. do u guyz think that is the best combination if i was to get a cai?
post #59 of 143 Old 10-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayTooFast
where i live, i get rain in the spring and summer and so would a cai with a bpv and a heatshield be enough to prevent any possible hydrolocking. do u guyz think that is the best combination if i was to get a cai?

anybody.... anybody.... Buller
post #60 of 143 Old 10-07-2004, 11:56 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Rocky_969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just a BPV will have you set unless you drive IN a lake...you will be 100% fine with a BPV unless your WHOLE filter gets submerged and well if you do that then your just dumb to begin with hehe...It rains where I am and I've never had a problem with my CAI (no BPV or anything), rain is fine and stuff, just no submerging your filter.

'04 Tib GT, G-Games Front, Tuscani Club GTR body kit, mesh grill, Tuscani T's, clear corners, red taillights, sub mod, red GRXgarage ground wires, red calipers, Injen CAI, silver/blue reverse-glow gauges, Alpine CDA 9833, Kuhmo Esta ASX's & custom rims
post #61 of 143 Old 10-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Banned

thnx, sounds good, but i think i will probably get a heat shield just for kicks and grins and face it towards the front bumper
post #62 of 143 Old 10-07-2004, 06:45 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Quote:
Get a short ram Injection SRI. Injen SRI appears to be the best. If the CAI gets completely submerged in a deep puddle I wouldn't trust the BPV..

post #63 of 143 Old 10-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGt
Get a short ram Injection SRI. Injen SRI appears to be the best. If the CAI gets completely submerged in a deep puddle I wouldn't trust the BPV..
when u say submerged, do u mean that it is underwater or is it just a big splash that hits the filter?

and is the injen sri pretty equal to a cai, isn't it as far to one corner of the engine bay as possible, could u maybe post a pic of it, thnx
post #64 of 143 Old 10-14-2004, 01:35 PM
NewTiburon.com God

yg17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
when u say submerged, do u mean that it is underwater or is it just a big splash that hits the filter?

and is the injen sri pretty equal to a cai, isn't it as far to one corner of the engine bay as possible, could u maybe post a pic of it, thnx
under water. a big splash probably wont cause any problems even without a bpv

2009 Volkswagen GTI 6-speed. Completely stock. Yeah....that's about it.
post #65 of 143 Old 10-26-2004, 02:37 PM
NewTiburon.com God

RavensFan is just really niceRavensFan is just really niceRavensFan is just really niceRavensFan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danpgh25
Hi,

Another stupid question...Are there other ways to make sure water doesnt get in..I know the bpv but is there anything else that could help?

Thanks,
Dan
Dont drive thru a puddle. Seriously, Ive driven thru rainstorms and had zero issues with my CAI. Unless you drive thru a puddle deep enough to submerge the entire filter, then you are fine. If you it worries you, buy the short ram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 143 Old 10-26-2004, 02:41 PM
NewTiburon.com God

tiburon_balla is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan
Dont drive thru a puddle. Seriously, Ive driven thru rainstorms and had zero issues with my CAI. Unless you drive thru a puddle deep enough to submerge the entire filter, then you are fine. If you it worries you, buy the short ram
tell me you didn't just reply to a person that asked that question over 7 months ago.....

don't drive through puddles. hey, i know peeps have already said it, but just don't do it and you'll be fine!

Last edited by tiburon_balla; 10-26-2004 at 03:11 PM.
post #67 of 143 Old 10-26-2004, 02:56 PM
NewTiburon.com God

RavensFan is just really niceRavensFan is just really niceRavensFan is just really niceRavensFan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburon_balla
tell me you didn't just reply to a person that asked that question over 7 months ago.....
Does it matter that the post I replied to was an older one? No it doesnt. There is still discussion about rain and its effect on a CAI. I offered something useful to this thread, whereas you did not. Good day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #68 of 143 Old 10-26-2004, 03:08 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quartermaster will become famous soon enough

It seems like it would take some serious effort to fully submerge your CAI's filter in a freakin puddle, I mean, you'd be in a puddle (small lake) almost a foot or more deep. If you drive into a foot of water in the first place, you may want to do it in neutral with the engine off, outside, pushing the car

post #69 of 143 Old 10-26-2004, 03:12 PM
NewTiburon.com God

tiburon_balla is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan
Does it matter that the post I replied to was an older one? No it doesnt. There is still discussion about rain and its effect on a CAI. I offered something useful to this thread, whereas you did not. Good day

....and don't drive through puddles.

Last edited by tiburon_balla; 10-26-2004 at 03:14 PM.
post #70 of 143 Old 10-26-2004, 03:24 PM
NewTiburon.com God

..... or lakes

post #71 of 143 Old 10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

SMOKIN is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of you guys are too confident in the rain....then again, it DOES take alot to hydrolock this motor....

The best advice I can give you is to be careful when it's raining...these cars handle like $hit in the rain anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to take it easy!

Injen's new Short Ram looks great....until you look at the price of course...these guys have no shame in charging a 300% markup since they can claim it goes into R & D and whatnot....same for AEM! Damned manufacturers are worse than your neighborhood crack dealer!

-Scott

post #72 of 143 Old 10-26-2004, 03:38 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Well I figure in the rain try to keep vacuum pressure at the filter down as much as possible, so obviously it would be prudent to not race around in the rain. Basically take it slow, avoid obviously dangerous flows of water that are deep enough to submerge the filter (if its that deep, chances are you shouldn't be driving near it anyway) and don't screw around in the rain. I gotta say though this car handles much better in the rain than my old Mercedes 300E, that thing was tail happy being RWD and torque happy. One rainy season in that car I got the car nice & sideways on the slick stamped concrete outside of a mall... didn't help that I was riding on almost bald tires, ehheh....

FWD cars handle better in the rain than an RWD. Of course a 4WD handles better than all other configs in bad weather, but eh... moral of the story: don't screw around in the rain.

post #73 of 143 Old 10-26-2004, 08:25 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

red_widow is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive taken the stock airbox out and attached an oversize k&n cone filter right on the stock hose before the MAF sensor.(dont even know what kind of car its for, just saw it at the parts store and looked like it would fit). Also fabricated an L shaped metal heat shield on the stock boltholes( hehe he said boltholes) for a little bit of protection against block heat.
Question A: By having such a short distance for air to travel with this setup, will there be any negative effects on the engine, i.e. burnt valves, MAF Sensor etc.?
Question B: I want to further this idea by adding a hood scoop to fit directly over the filter, anyone have any ideas as to where a reputable fabrication shop may be to perform this kind of mod, or is there a hood replacement specifically for 04, tiburon with this concept in mind?

"hunny i think we just got beat by one of those tibbamigiggers" "a Tibuwhat"
post #74 of 143 Old 12-25-2004, 09:18 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Airgutter87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Seale
good read!!!! i dont plan on getting a sri or cai. im just gonna remove the intake resonator and then get a good k&n drop in filter. then maybe fabricate some sort of large tubing that will replace the resonator and feed into the air box. that way ill spend less and eliminate the heat build up. yeah, im not really into modding the car too much. performance wise anyways.
haha your signature says that you have a CAI

post #75 of 143 Old 01-07-2005, 10:35 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

WhiskeyDrinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Questions:
#1 - Why would anyone NOT get a BPV? It seems to me that it would be better to have at least some protection against hydrolock than none. Is there something I am missing? Does this BPV cost an arm and a leg?

#2 - When dealing with a new throttle body. The one I am looking at is a 60mm throttle body, will i have any problem attaching my CAI to this?

#3 - off topic. In reference to the above throttle body question, there are a few out there, one has no fluid hose mounts, one has no cruise control mount, it seems like all the aftermarket ones i've seen are missing key components. Anyone know of a good one?

Thanks,
--Whiskey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.