The Definitive Oil Explanation Thread - Page 2 - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #26 of 35 Old 10-02-2006, 12:08 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
blk_03_tib is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Definitive Oil Explanation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms231
-35C = 31F. yea, i highly doubt you are starting your car in those conditions b/c if you were you would need a block heater.
I don't know where you live, but it is possible for people to be starting their cars in these temperature ranges. I'm not throwing stones here, I'm no oil expert. I just happen to live in Michigan and last winter I was driving my tib in temps below 0. You wake up in northern michigan in the dead of winter and if it's 10 degrees outside then it must have been a warm night. BTW I don't use a block heater. If I make a switch in oil it will be to a 5w just because of the cold temps I can come across. Just don't assume that some of us aren't cranking it over with 10 inches of snow on our roofs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 35 Old 10-02-2006, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Former CIO

bms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another level
(Thread Starter)
Re: Definitive Oil Explanation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_03_tib
I don't know where you live, but it is possible for people to be starting their cars in these temperature ranges. I'm not throwing stones here, I'm no oil expert. I just happen to live in Michigan and last winter I was driving my tib in temps below 0. You wake up in northern michigan in the dead of winter and if it's 10 degrees outside then it must have been a warm night. BTW I don't use a block heater. If I make a switch in oil it will be to a 5w just because of the cold temps I can come across. Just don't assume that some of us aren't cranking it over with 10 inches of snow on our roofs.

i am not assuming anything other than the fact he is not cranking at -31F. go back and read deeze's (kyle's) post. he is in ALASKA! btw, he works for an oil company too and is in agreance with me. and yea, i know you are not throwing stones and apperciate the feedback but rest assured i am making statements based upon facts. and i live in norther ohio right on lake erie.... i only start my car in lake effect snow and share your pain of -20 wind chills. i probably shouldnt have said -20 wind chills b/c it will confuse people so here goes.... a car's temp has nothing to do w/ a wind chill. metal is only as cold as the outside temperature.

I am no longer an admin. Please do not PM me with site issues. Use the report post button.
post #28 of 35 Old 02-03-2007, 05:07 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

ricecooka is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Definitive Oil Explanation Thread

I would like to know after reading this thread I feel like a complete moron. Can someone just give me a recommendation on what oil to use for my 2001 tiburon with 104k miles on it.

My mechanic buddy laughed at me and said oil is oil and he said Havoline is the shiznit, and he said synthetic is garbage. Well he is a Corolla pushin puerto rican so what does he know about tiburons anyways right... Anyways he got me worried because he said 10W30 is not doing justice and I need to switch to a heavier oil like a 40 weight.

My Integra tuning friend has always used Mobil 1 synthetic and trusting his OCD for perfection I trusted his judgement and have been using it myself for a while now for about the last 40k miles.

I can't understand all this oil math, I'm a simpleton, can someone just respond with the oil I should use in my vehicle. I have only changed the clutch to a clutchmasters stage 1, and 7.5 lb Fidanza flywheel all the rest is bone stock. Also, if you have some good mod ideas I would love to hear them. Of course my friend with a Corrado says I need to sell my Korean garbage and get a Vdub. I'm sure I will get flamed for these statements but hey I'm pretty happy with the tibby, bought it with 27k miles on it for $7500 and haven't had anything major go wrong with it. Actually only regular maintenance. Well, now the Valve cover gasket needs replacement, but thats minor. I wouldn't mind chipping it or doing something to it, as long as its not too costly and is not going to cause the motor to explode. I look forward to hearing your responses and like this little bulletin board I found. Good to know people actually like moddin' something other than the usual and f the makers of Fast and the Furious 3 for their anti-korean statements. Bastardz. Thanx for your time.
post #29 of 35 Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Former CIO

bms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another level
(Thread Starter)

wow, your friend is stupid. heavier weights he may be thinking are good to seal up all the gaps from the wear on the engine but i would stick w/ 10w/30 at max or the stock 5w/30/20. general rule of thumb is when u do an oil change u do not want to go more than a 5w deviation. so what do u have in there right now? if u do go synthetic this late in the game u will notice one thing.... oil will pour out of every little seal gap you have. it is just the nature of the beast. it will do that until it gets clogged w/ dirt . i personally say keep with what u have been doing in this stage in life.

I am no longer an admin. Please do not PM me with site issues. Use the report post button.
post #30 of 35 Old 02-04-2007, 05:35 AM
NewTiburon.com God

hammerhead is an unknown quantity at this point

I love my fully-synthetic 0W-40 oil. you should use the mobil 1 0W-40...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
google_ad_section_end -->
post #31 of 35 Old 10-30-2008, 10:50 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

IrishShark

I used to work with a oil distribution company as warehouse manager. What im about to say only pertains to delearship/mechanic shops. When you purchase a oil change from a shop/dealership the brand of oil relating to popular brands such as Mobil. These products (!UNLESS its mobil 0w30 or ow40) are all mixed between brands. This is ONLY when they use a tank oil system to distribute oil to customer cars (which is prety much every shop). When a oil distributer ships out the oil in they come from the main large tanks (could be 5,000gallons or more). They are all blended off of rail cars (trains) when they come in, in to a main tank. Then put into (totes) of 500gallons to be distributed through out the day. The low quality oils are held in seperate tanks mixed as well. Now this really doesnt make a difference but its just something to let you know. These high grade oils share almost the same quality's to an extent so one wouldnt notice the difference. When you purchase it from a auto store in a specific bottle of ones product though you are getting their specific oil recipe. Not very usefull info but take it for what is worth. Products of the 5w20's 5w30's and 10w30's do have differences between these producers but understand thats not what your getting at a shop but rather a blend.
post #32 of 35 Old 10-30-2008, 11:01 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Wagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of lightWagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of lightWagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of lightWagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of lightWagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of light

I have seen all this information before. It is all correct. You are however wrong in recommending garbage1 oil. Stay away if you run your car hard. I personally use eneos 5w-40 in the summer and german castrol in the winter (0w30). If you want to know why mobil1 is trash just search some subaru boards.

But overall good information to have posted BMS and its good to see you also have an understanding yourself to explain this to people.

post #33 of 35 Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Banned

garcbomber is infamous around these partsgarcbomber is infamous around these parts

20w50 only goes in mine...
You should hear that baby on cold day startup with cams and headers...
Babumb..... Babumb..... Babumm...
Royal Purple FTW...
post #34 of 35 Old 10-30-2008, 11:05 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Wagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of lightWagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of lightWagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of lightWagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of lightWagtoda3rd is a glorious beacon of light

Yes because oil starvation makes your car sound soooooo nice........... So your driving WRC or Time Attack only with that oil right? I know you wouldnt dailydrive with that.

post #35 of 35 Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Banned

garcbomber is infamous around these partsgarcbomber is infamous around these parts

Splash a little onto the cams when it needs to be used the couples times a month in the winter and she's golden...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.