Hard-wired Stereo and now DASH LIGHTS DON'T WORK! - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BigSteve is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hard-wired Stereo and now DASH LIGHTS DON'T WORK!

I've had the same stereo installed for quite a while now using the "quick connect" connector for my HU. A few weeks ago, my stereo started cutting in and out and sounded like it was shorting out the speakers and it would just shut off by itself. I determined this to be the quick connect connector and the guy at my local car audio store said they are pos'es and often go out after a few months.

So, to fix that problem I cut and spliced each of the wires yesterday afternoon. My stereo now works GREAT and actually sounds even better than before when using that connector.

The only problem is, I woke up this morning and drove to work at 5am and discovered I don't have any gauge or dash lights!? I didn't notice this yesterday since it was still daylight outside when I was working on it.

Any ideas why this is? I cut each pair of wires individually and spliced them together so not to get them confused. Looking at the quick connect connector, there was an orange/white wire that was labeled "Illumination" but it was NOT in the same slot of the connector...so, I didn't splice it together. I haven't tried it yet (since I'm currently at work), but is that one wire what controls ALL of my dash/gauge illumination??

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

ohiotib will become famous soon enough
Re: Hard-wired Stereo and now DASH LIGHTS DON'T WORK!

I would start by checking the fuses. The Illumination wire is for the radio itself I believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, I figured the Illumination wire would be for only the stereo...and since it liiuminates just fine without it connected, I guess I'll leave it alone.

Would splicing the wires have caused the fuse to blow, though? Or, could it just be a huge coincidence? I guess I need to go through and look at the fuses and figure out which one controls it.

I do know that there are other cables that plug into the dash panel, but I THOUGHT I plugged them all back in. Guess I need to check those, too. The airbag and clock light are on, but the gauge lights and lights for the A/C knobs don't come on...the A/C still works, though.

I've taken the dash off several times before just like I did yesterday and never had it do this. Any idea off the top of your head what fuse it is? Perhaps I can stop by and pick up another on the way home from work.

post #4 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
nolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post

Would splicing the wires have caused the fuse to blow, though? Or, could it just be a huge coincidence? I guess I need to go through and look at the fuses and figure out which one controls it.
if the wires touched some metal than ya it could have blown a fuse ,did you leave the positive for the battery hooked up ?

i would check this one, but it can't hurt to check others

NEW RIDE :2012 Sonata
SOLD2007 Vivivd Blue SE
long gone 2003 6spd Tib

Last edited by nolfol; 11-06-2008 at 11:37 AM.
post #5 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM
NewTiburon.com God

kartunez is an unknown quantity at this point

The illumination (dimmer) wire is to dim your radio's brightness when you turn on the lights just like the factory stuff does!

2003 Silver GT - 177.5 WHP/198.6 FT-LBS - Member of

Looks: 18" TSW Nogaro's w/ Proxes 4's, F/L front with M&S lip, GT Tech Type II sides, AITRacing rear, Seibon SC CF hood...
Power: AEM CAI, Tigerlily BBTB, NGM Upper and Lower stage IV manifolds, Nology Hotwires, NGK Iridiums plugs, nul7 lightweight crank pulley, DC Sports headers w/ Magnaflow Highflow cat, ARK N2 Dual...
post #6 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Cool, thanks...I'll check that one when I get home.

As for the positive battery cable left hooked up? I'm guessing I did!? I just cut the wires off the after-market harness and spliced them with the wires on the JVC harness...I cut/spliced them individually so not to get them mixed up.

Whatever the positive battery cable was once hooked up to it should still be hooked up the same way. I do have a subwoofer running to it and I'm pretty sure that's the wire it's connected to. On the connector, there was a ground loop wire (I'm gussing that's what it was) that was plugged into the same slot as another wire. I just put those 3 wires together when I spliced them.

Also, when I first installed the aftermarket stereo, I had to cut one of the wires on the harness because the vehicle harness was for <06 models and had the "speed control" or whatever wire running to a different one. Without the wire cut, my speedometer didn't work and all my gauges went crazy.

Now that I'm writing this, it may have had something to do with that blue wire with the loop on it that was also connected to the sub...I'll have to check on that one!
post #7 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 01:28 PM
NewTiburon.com God

nolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post
Cool, thanks...I'll check that one when I get home.

As for the positive battery cable left hooked up? I'm guessing I did!? I just cut the wires off the after-market harness and spliced them with the wires on the JVC harness...I cut/spliced them individually so not to get them mixed up.

Whatever the positive battery cable was once hooked up to it should still be hooked up the same way. I do have a subwoofer running to it and I'm pretty sure that's the wire it's connected to. On the connector, there was a ground loop wire (I'm gussing that's what it was) that was plugged into the same slot as another wire. I just put those 3 wires together when I spliced them.

Also, when I first installed the aftermarket stereo, I had to cut one of the wires on the harness because the vehicle harness was for <06 models and had the "speed control" or whatever wire running to a different one. Without the wire cut, my speedometer didn't work and all my gauges went crazy.

Now that I'm writing this, it may have had something to do with that blue wire with the loop on it that was also connected to the sub...I'll have to check on that one!

no no lol i meant you should always unhook the battery cable before touching wires and such so that they don't ground out and possibly blow a fuse ,i hope you figure this out

SOLD2007 Vivivd Blue SE
long gone 2003 6spd Tib
post #8 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfol View Post
no no lol i meant you should always unhook the battery cable before touching wires and such so that they don't ground out and possibly blow a fuse ,i hope you figure this out
OHHHHH!! Wow, I feel like a complete dumbass right now; lol. I thought you were meaning the power cable wire or whatever going to the stereo that was connected to my car battery (for the amp fuse, or whatever)! LOL

Anyways, I did not unhook the battery cable. Never thought it to be a problem since all I was dealing with was the stereo wires. Guess I COULD unhook it and see if the lights come back on some how. I kinda doubt that will happen, though. I'll be sure to check that fuse and get a replacement. Hopefully that's all it is!!
post #9 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Worst Overall NT Member of 2010

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
krazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond repute

always disconnect the battery. and its one of the two

on my hyundai, its the orange wire that the dimmer. note, i have an accent. so you need to hook that back up

or you blew the fuse for dash lights. but if you did that, the ac and what not would not light up either

2008 toyota prius-Intake, exhaust, lambo doors, leds, spoiler, and more
post #10 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Well, I checked 3 fuses on my lunch break after I looked in the manual to see what other fuses it could be and they were all fine...none of them were blown.

As for the lights on the A/C, they don't light up but the A/C still works. The only lights that are working is the light in the middle of the dash that shows the mileage, the light for the clock, the ambient temperature light, and the passenger airbag light. The lights on the HU also work.

The only lights that are NOT working are the speed/tachometer backlight, the backlight for the gauges in the center dash (torque, voltage, etc), and the backlights for the A/C knobs and cigerette lighter.
post #11 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 05:27 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

momad can only hope to improve

Check your illumination wire. Ensure that it is hooked up properly to you stereo or it is capped off. All the lights you mentioned that are out only come on when your lights are on. That is what the illumination wire does as metioned before. It dims your stereo when you lights are on.

Last edited by momad; 11-06-2008 at 05:30 PM.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 07:36 PM
NewTiburon.com God

hmmm........ it might be the bcm then

SOLD2007 Vivivd Blue SE
long gone 2003 6spd Tib
post #13 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by momad View Post
Check your illumination wire. Ensure that it is hooked up properly to you stereo or it is capped off. All the lights you mentioned that are out only come on when your lights are on. That is what the illumination wire does as metioned before. It dims your stereo when you lights are on.
You don't have to hook it up, it is only hooked up if you want the radio to dim like the factory does.

As for the blue wire you were talking about, that is most likely your remote turn on wire; that is what turns on the amp when your radio turns on! Might try undoing the three wires you have spliced together, and doing them like they were done before!

Looks: 18" TSW Nogaro's w/ Proxes 4's, F/L front with M&S lip, GT Tech Type II sides, AITRacing rear, Seibon SC CF hood...
Power: AEM CAI, Tigerlily BBTB, NGM Upper and Lower stage IV manifolds, Nology Hotwires, NGK Iridiums plugs, nul7 lightweight crank pulley, DC Sports headers w/ Magnaflow Highflow cat, ARK N2 Dual...
post #14 of 26 Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM
NewTiburon.com God

netstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of light

have you checked that BCM fuse that was pictured above yet? (the one in the yellow case thing)

10 bucks says thats it, I popped mine 3 times within like 5 minutes, I hate it

I can has RHD Sig?

- 2007 Hyundai Tiburon - 1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max - 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R -
... and I don't remember what make my boat is...
post #15 of 26 Old 11-07-2008, 07:47 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartunez View Post
You don't have to hook it up, it is only hooked up if you want the radio to dim like the factory does.

As for the blue wire you were talking about, that is most likely your remote turn on wire; that is what turns on the amp when your radio turns on! Might try undoing the three wires you have spliced together, and doing them like they were done before!
You are right if youi don't want your lights to dim on your radio don't hook it up. If you have it hooked up wrong or the wire is grounded out, even though you are not using it it will affect the dash light when they are in use. That is why he should at least check that wire out. The illumination wire comes from the cars stock radio harness to the after market radio.

Last edited by momad; 11-07-2008 at 07:49 AM.
post #16 of 26 Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 AM
NewTiburon.com God

netstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of lightnetstat is a glorious beacon of light

not using the illumination wire WILL NOT EFFECT ANYTHING

Helping is the act of offering good advise that is based in FACT

What you guys are doing is called guessing.

Sorry for the rant, but its first thing in the morning and this is really starting to urk me for some reason.

I can has RHD Sig?

- 2007 Hyundai Tiburon - 1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max - 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R -
post #17 of 26 Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by momad View Post
You are right if youi don't want your lights to dim on your radio don't hook it up. If you have it hooked up wrong or the wire is grounded out, even though you are not using it it will affect the dash light when they are in use. That is why he should at least check that wire out. The illumination wire comes from the cars stock radio harness to the after market radio.
You are right, hooking it up wrong would hurt something. But he didn't hook it up to anything; reread his first post! He didn't know what it was for so he didn't connect it! I was just clarifing that not using it will not cause the gauge lights and such to not work. He does need to pull it back out and make sure he has everything connected correctly, and wires not in use securely isolated so they can not ground out!

As for guessing I am not guessing! I am taking what he has put into the thread and using it to help! You need to go back home and roll out of bed the other way grouch!

post #18 of 26 Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 PM
NewTiburon.com God

that obviously was not directed at you, you gave correct information.

But "even though you are not using it it will affect the dash light when they are in use"
come on now...

I can has RHD Sig?

post #19 of 26 Old 11-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
krazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by netstat View Post
not using the illumination wire WILL NOT EFFECT ANYTHING

Helping is the act of offering good advise that is based in FACT

What you guys are doing is called guessing.

Sorry for the rant, but its first thing in the morning and this is really starting to urk me for some reason.
on my accent without the dash illumination light, it will not work...

i guess all hyundais are different

2008 toyota prius-Intake, exhaust, lambo doors, leds, spoiler, and more
post #20 of 26 Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quote:

But "even though you are not using it it will affect the dash light when they are in use"
come on now...
Please don't take my comments out of context.
Obviously, Kartunez got the point I am trying to make. Even if the wire is not connected to the radio if the wire is not secured properly and touching another wire or is grounded out it would affect his dash lights. That is the point I was trying to make. It is FACT that the illumination wire runs from your light switch to the stock radio that is why it dims when the lights are on. If you hook that wire up wrong or ground it may affect the operation of your dash lights. Without physically seeing his car I can only comment on the info that was given. He removed a quick connect for his head unit. He did not hook up the illumination wire from the radio to the light switch. The illumination wire was labeled wrong. His stereo works but now his dash lights don't. He checked his fuses they were fine. Checking that wire, at least to me, would be the next step in troubleshooting.
post #21 of 26 Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:

come on now...
No worriez brotha; I just want to make sure eveyone gets the help they are looking for!

post #22 of 26 Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

SickDoubleBass is an unknown quantity at this point

I just really need to know where to get the little led lights in the climate control thing... Does anyone have an idea?
post #23 of 26 Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Phoenix Risen has a spectacular aura aboutPhoenix Risen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickDoubleBass View Post
I just really need to know where to get the little led lights in the climate control thing... Does anyone have an idea?
2 things.

this really isnt the thread for that, i would try the interior section not audio.

and 2 this thread was ~3 years old until you decided you didnt need to read dates and bumped it from the grave.

that is all.

R.I.P

2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
post #24 of 26 Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

BretonFolklore is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

I am bumping it back from the grave because you all said alot but still didnt solve the issue! sorry but my aftermarket radio wont turn on my dash lights and dome lights dont work my ac lights and odo lights and time light ALL work and ALL my fuses are good every single one yet no radio or dash light or dome light
post #25 of 26 Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Montmont has a spectacular aura aboutMontmont has a spectacular aura aboutMontmont has a spectacular aura about

In the future it would probably be better to start a new thread rather than bump one that has been dead for years, and reference said dead thread (hehe rhyme tyme) in your post like "I've checked this post (LINK) and am still having issues."

Anyways, we'll need more information about your setup. Did you splice directly into the wires or use a wire harness to plug directly into the stock harness?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.