Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

So your Speedo stopped working...

77K views 75 replies 40 participants last post by  reidevan280 
#1 · (Edited)
Mods, please Sticky this.

So let me guess...You just spent that saved up money on a super-cool new head-unit.
Finally, you have that first simple mod to begin spicing up the interior and get rid of that ugly, crappy stock head-unit that has absolutely NO functionality.

Well congrats. I'm proud of you, welcome to the wonderful world of Car-Audio.

But oh no. What's happening?
-Your Speedometer doesn't work unless the radio is powered off.
-Your Odometer isn't gaining mileage (not even the computer is logging mileage...shhh....)
-And your Gas Range computer is going up and down like your filling your tank.

So what the h*ll is happening? Is your Tib broken? How can you fix this?Is it permanent?

Now, it doesn't matter whether or not YOU installed it; a buddy installed it; or even if a professional Install shop installed it (and yes, even Best-buy doesn't catch this error). This is a common error throughout the Tiburon community but its rare that an Install-Shop will know about it.

You need to CUT the Blue Amp-Remote wire. yes, the Blue wire labeled Amp-Remote. Usually it carries a White stripe down it.
Cut it and cap it off. Simple as that.

There will be NO permanent damage, it's just a grounding issue. Once you cut it, all will be good again. Just cap it off properly and enjoy.

Yes, i promise, That will fix your problem. You can do it or you can bring it to the Audio-Shop you had install your Radio and make them do it for free. Then educate the stupid out of them.
So, what went wrong?

Now, this seems to happen in ALL Tibs 03-08. Even the SUPER-RARE 2009 models sold on Craigslist. (haha)

BUT, it only happens in Tiburon's WITHOUT the Stock Infinity Audio System.

The problem is the After-Market wiring Harness you used. Yes. The Wiring harness.
This thing:

Now it doesn't matter what brand it is : Metra, Scosche, Bestbuy or Walmart. Any and every brand seems to do it.

Well, what is wrong with the harness?

It's that Blue Amp-Remote Wire: This is the wire that comes FROM the Headunit that carries a 12v signal to an Amplifier in the Car. Either for Subs or speakers (or both). This is hooked up to the Audio system to tell the Amps that the head-unit is on. Nothing more, Nothing less. Its a basic wire.

Now, if you have the Stock Infinity system, this wire is hooked up normally. It tells the Stock Amp to turn on...And work. Simple.

But if you DO NOT have the Stock amp, this wire is still grounded to the Car. And that is where the problem is. When the Radio turns on and sends the 12v Signal through the wire...It has nothing to power. So it grounds out onto the Car. And oddly enough, it shares the SAME grounding point as the Speed Sensor and fuel gauge.
So, this results in your Speedo stopping, Odometer taking a cr*p and your fuel gauge freaking out.

Simple, huh? Makes sense now, right? Well time to go fix it!

And stop posting threads about your speedo braking...It's not broken, the Tiburon is just a fussy little b*tch.

So enjoy. Go off into the world with this new information and rock on!

Enjoy everyone!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
#11 ·
"braking" -> breaking.
Normally I'd let it go, but it's such a great sticky otherwise.

#14 ·
Okay, I just installed a dvd player in my car, got it all installed, played it a bit... everything good until i go to drive away after completion and my dimmer lights(dash,dial illumination, prnd lights) are all out and my dimmer switch doesnt work and also my speedo isnt working and fuel reading is jumping around. Okay so I look it up on NT to find the result and it seems this is a common problem. so i cut my remote blue/white wire, turn it on and my speedo and fuel reading is accurate but still no dash lights. I have checked every fuse with a test light and they all work but no current at the dimmer switch. Is this because I am checking it without the center consol connected (temp,clock, and temp controls). or is this something with my wiring. if it makes a difference i have tried to wire the dimmer wire and illumination wire to my HU 5 times and it doesnt work with them connected or unconnected. if anyone has had experience with similar problems with lighting going out please help!!!!

#15 ·
You dont wire the Dimmer. Leave the orange Wires Disconnected and Capped off. They are NOT used.

You blew the Fuse in the yellow Holder inside your Fuse-Box. Replace it.

Make sure Everything is re-connected. Center Console, Dash. Everything. Then it will all work.

Let me know what happens after you do ALL of that.

#29 ·
I had the same issue that people were talking about, regarding the clock and gas gauge. And I thought I had blown a fuse so I went through all of them in both boxes twice and nothing was blown. Not knowing that there was a fuse hidden within that yellow holder, officially that little yellow holder is the devil. Thanks guys you helped me from hours of fustration.

#16 ·
I will be getting straight to it when i get off work tonight, thanks for the response, and im assuming the fuse box under the dash since the box under the hood mainly has relays which i do not know how to check. also i have read other threads like this one that ppl are sure the problem is that i need to connect the orange and black to the ground so ill try a couple of things. what worries me is that i checked all the fuses and they were good but i dont recall a yellow holder so ill have to look again. but thanks for the response ill get back to ya tonight when i have messed with it more. mike

#27 ·
I'd just make a quick connect instead of capping the end off. Then connect it before long highway trips where you just go with the flow of traffic anyways. (or highway commutes) :3_pimatyo

#30 ·
I've done car audio for years and made the mistake when i put my stereo in the first year i dug it out of storage.. i was just wondering for those of you who are "worried" about your milage, just hook a toggle switch up to it and flick it on so it stops logging mileage most people no that at 3000 rpm your doing 100 - 105 km/ hour 60-65 MPH lol im sure some out there have done this to make that factory warranty reach its full 5 years lmao.. just a brain fart thought i would share out of my boredom :)

#32 ·
I got an aftermarket stereo and had this problem at first, but now I fixed it and my rear defroster messes up my radio? Only when I'm listening to the radio and I hit the rear* defroster the radio will fuzz out and become muffled.
Dunno what's going on there..

*The front defroster does it to but only as its turning on/off

#33 · (Edited)
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I also had the issue described. I went ahead and noticed the issue after the drive back home from stereo shop. Thing is i must have driven a solid 30-35 miles b4 i got home and corrected the issue. Since it didn't log the miles and range meter were out of whack i figured they go back to normal. I noticed my gas light come on at an odd 260miles when i normally get a solid 290-300 to a tank 14gal. And when i filled up today it gave me 9gal and it was full but my gas gauge only went back to 3/4 quarter of a tank. And range meter is going off what gas gauge is showing so only a 260 range. How can i reset my Gas gauge to read proper level of fuel in tank????

Thanks

#35 ·
I realize this is an old post but I cut that wire when I installed the head unit originally and my speedo is only just going bad. Fiddled with a few sensors this morning and it worked for 20 minutes before hitting a bump and going back to reading 0 mph. What the hell is going on, is the small dc motor on the circuit board going bad or is the sensor (wherever it is) going bad or coming loose?

#36 ·
Tell me this.... When u turn ur radio off does the speedo work correctly?
If so then u may want to double check ur wiring because something isn't right.

Hope this helps.

-Ward

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.