Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Audio build help/advice

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  ViCiouS_TiBuroN 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not entirely seasoned with car audio so I was hoping to enlist some more experienced enthusiasts to help me put together a bangin' system for my '04 Tib.
Please feel free to suggest alternatives that could be more budget-friendly while still providing quality results.Here is what I've got so far.

Sub x1: (I am intent on using this sub, unless the 4ohm would suit better then please detail)

Components:

Rear Speakers: (The stocks are blown, should I replace or just use the Sub for rear?)

Sub Amp:

Amp for other speakers:

RCA's x3:

So that leaves me with a short list of things to complete the system:

-Ported or sealed sub box? (size?)
-Wiring kit
-Head Unit
-Anything else I may have forgotten, or don't need.

Budget: ~$1,000
Total so far: ~$1,100

I would particularly like to save a little on the sub amp, the one I have picked might be a little overkill or am I wrong?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure if the types of music I enjoy would influence choices any, but thought I should throw it on the table:

Reggae, Electronic (Foreign Beggars type), Hip-hop, and some metal.

#3 ·
You're going top shelf. You could save some on the sub amp and speakers, but I have Alpines and love them.

#4 ·
Well, I know the front components are pretty important if you still want clear mids/highs, so I'm willing to throw a little cash into those.
I'm looking for help to find an appropriate amp for that sub, the amps I listed as an example of what I thought might work well, but I could be wrong(?)
Also in choosing a decent HU, and whether or not I should replace or just remove the rear 6x9's, and again the second, smaller amp as an example if it's needed to power the front/rears.

#5 ·
I would def replace the 6x9's and I have the Alpine Type S ones, and they are excellent. I feel like you'd be missing out in a system of the quality if you didn't have them.

Are you planning on just running one of those subs? I don't have much experience with that brand, so I can't really comment. It seems tho if you are just running the one, the amp you picked out would be overkill. You'll want something with less power for that sub. I think @Regina knows the most about this. :)

As for the headunit, I would go with an Alpine and the choice is yours on whether or not you want a Single/Double DIN and the options you might like to have (Bluetooth, etc).

A sealed box will give you a 'tighter' more 'punchy' sound whereas a ported box will be a bit louder (generally) and more 'boomy'. The choice is completely up to you and how you prefer to listen to your music. Sealed boxes are beneficial in their size as they are usually quite a bit smaller than their ported counterparts. As for the size, you'll have to do some investigating online to see what other with that exact sub have done. This is from amazon "Enclosure Suggestions: 1.75 ft^3 ported tuned to 30 Hz -- F3 of 26 Hz * Tune higher and use a smaller box for more SPL oriented setup (Use 1 - 1.5 cubes) * Enclosure can be as big as 2.25 ft^3 with lower power levels 1.00 ft^3 sealed -- F3 of 44 Hz * For SQ and space limited applications"

Hope this helps a bit! :)

#6 · (Edited)
Eclipse, Pioneer and Kenwood also make good HUs. Shop around for the features you want. And jessicax is right don't overpower your sub.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! :)
I'm looking at a Single DIN, nothing fancy as far as extra features, just needs to have front aux/USB for tunes through phone/ipod, and be suitable for the speakers chosen.

Should the amp wattage match the sub (600w)?

Am I correct in thinking a separate amp to power the 6.5 and 6x9's?

P.S. Does anyone have any knowledge/input on these components?:

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! :)
I'm looking at a Single DIN, nothing fancy as far as extra features, just needs to have front aux/USB for tunes through phone/ipod, and be suitable for the speakers chosen.

Should the amp wattage match the sub (600w)?

Am I correct in thinking a separate amp to power the 6.5 and 6x9's?

P.S. Does anyone have any knowledge/input on these components?:

Pyle PLG6C 6.5-Inch 400-Watt 2-Way Custom Component System:Amazon:Car Electronics
As far as I know, if you're wanting to run a sub (and the one you want is looking for 600W RMS), you're going to want an amp that can run it at 600W RMS. (The max wattage is irrelevant to us, marketing stuff). If you get a 1000W amp for that sub, you run the risk of blowing it. I've heard that you can almost always run a higher rated amp than you need, if you can exercise the restraint and knowledge on how to set the levels, but that is more than I really know.

It's best to power your speakers off an additional amp, because it will give them the power they're looking for. I have a "mini-amp" (Alpine Power Pack Booster) that I think serves it's purpose really well. It plugs into the back of my headunit and feeds my speakers some extra power.

If you're looking for a simple HU, i say just shop around and find the best deal for what it is you're looking for. I've always been partial to Alpine HU's, but there are many to choose from. :)

(I don't have any feedback for the component speakers, I've never heard of that brand before. I would be a bit hesitant to jump on them.)

#11 ·
And thanks to your help so far, I've narrowed down my Sub Amp search to three choices.
Any advice on which of these would best compliment the SA Sub?
No problem, I'm not the most knowledgeable on the subject, but I like to help where and when I can. As for your headunit choice, If I was purchasing a new one, that would probably be it. And you found the same power pack that I'm using now. In my opinion, it feeds my speakers enough to satisfy my tastes, it was a huge improvement over having just the HU feeding them. It also involved less wiring, which, at the time, was a bonus. :)

Now, as for the sub amp, the Alpine MRXM55 will feed you 550 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohms, which will power your sub, albeit a bit underpowered. Price is good on this one though.

The PDR-M65 would probably be the best out of those three, if price wasn't a factor. It will run your sub up to 650 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohms, which is just a bit extra then your sub wants. Leaves you a bit of room. However, it seems it's the most expensive of the three.

As for the Focal, it looks like it will run at 600 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohms and the price is decent. I don't know much about focal products, but the reviews I skimmed have all seemed relatively positive. Price is decent on this one as well.

Out of the three, I'd probably go with the PDR-M65 for the peace of mind knowing I wouldn't be under/over powering my sub and the price isn't killer but might be a bit high for that kind of amp.

#13 · (Edited)
not to be a spoilsport, but are you seriously planning on installing a sound system thats worth almost as much as the car?? i dont get it.

#14 ·
Unlike other mods for our cars, sound systems are almost always transferable to other vehicles if he decides to sell the tib :D Less likely to lose money in this kind of mod :D

Reactions: ViCiouS_TiBuroN
#18 ·
I spent about $800 on my audio system and that was 2 12" polaudio subs, 1200 watt monoblock amp, all the cables, pyle head unit, and the speakers. mine sounds great but it is far from a competition stand point

#19 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Still looking for some input on the Focal amp. Found a too good to pass up deal on a pair of alpine e series 6x9's so I snatched those up for now. Gathering info's on the rest...

#20 ·
Focal isn't the best brand for amps, and focal products are typically overpriced. In my opinion anyways. For the power levels and budget you are looking at, the newer MB Quart amps would be a great bang for your buck. the Sundown can handle a little over rated power (probably 750) so a 600-1000 watt amp would work, just tune it so the signal isn't clipping. The larger amps will handle burps of power better as well.

There is too much reading above ^ for me. @dctibby and @Regina and @Phoenixrisen and myself have typically been the audio guru's on here but I don't see any chime ins from any of them.

you need a 4 channel amp, single channel amp, 6x9s, component 6.5s, sub, box, and distribution block.

The distro block is to split the power cable to each amp.

You are correct in a dual voice coil 2 ohm. This will wire to a single ohm.

Go with a ported box. Just guessing the sundown needs 1.5-2 cubic feet and a port tuned to 36 hz. If you want deeper base, increase the box volume (2-2.25 for example) and tune the port lower. The larger the box, the better you can tune low. However, at the same time the "looser" the woofer's cone can get, which just means you have a higher chance of blowing it on peak power burps. (again, sundown can handle a bit over rated power)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.