Erratic reving and shutting off while driving - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-04-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nick Ahumada is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Erratic reving and shutting off while driving

So the other day my car started to rev really erraticly while at a stop light, I never payed much attention to it when it happened before because it only happened once or twice after it rained really bad but now it's doing it in normal weather. The other night while driving I started to decelerate while car was in gear and the car shut off, I had to take it out of gear and turn ignition while I was driving. I have had major problems with my car and i don't know what else to fix on the car because it seems like one issue after another. It's a 2007 Tiburon SE. Any help would be great! I'll post a video of what I'm talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-04-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
post #3 of 14 Old 02-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: Erratic reving and shutting off while driving

Welcome to NT.

What other work has been done?
Any CEL's? If so, what are the codes?

When was the last tuneup?
How many miles on the car?

Could be the IAC is bad or dirty, could be bad plugs or wires.

BTW, you can just hit the clutch pedal to restart a MT, no need to take it out of gear (go to neutral for a AT) to restart while still rolling.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .

Last edited by Charlie-III; 02-04-2017 at 03:56 PM.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-04-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thanks lol I like have this website archived for all my problems I just hate that I cant fix this problem. But I have been working on clearing the P0171&P10174 System too Lean Bank1&2 codes and IAC Code. I have changed the Fuel pump, Fuel Regulator, and filter because my fuel pump that I had was running at 29psi, I have done a fuel injector cleaner, I have changed spark plugs and wires, and I have change the front o2 sensors. I checked the vacuum hoses and all are fine. I was going to change out the Idle Air Valve to see if that clears the IAC code but I hate to keep replacing parts if it’s not going to solve my problem. But last tune up was just a couple months ago before I took my car for emissions. The car has roughly 83k miles on it. I hope to gain a little more info on what else I could try. In the meantime I’m going to keep scouring the forums for people with similar problems. Hate to make a redundant thread lol.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-04-2017, 07:24 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

aveenav is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the IAC gasket. Get an OEM IAC #35150 33010, it's about $40 on eBay. For that price, I think it worth replacing it since you've a code relating to it. You can sometimes clean it off real-good and it does the trick.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-04-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Okay cool, I just ordered one ill put that bad boy on and let you know how it runs!
post #7 of 14 Old 02-06-2017, 10:51 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

Make sure you didn't reverse the TPS and IAC connections. Easy to do but the Gray connector goes to the TPS and Black one goes to IAC. Also if you didn't use a new intake manifold gasket then you might have a big vacuum leak causing most of your issues. Last thing is there's a bracket near the throttle body that can some times make its way in between the upper and lower manifolds if your not careful when putting everything back together.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #8 of 14 Old 02-06-2017, 12:13 PM
Still the same me...

Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Erratic reving and shutting off while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
Make sure you didn't reverse the TPS and IAC connections. Easy to do but the Gray connector goes to the TPS and Black one goes to IAC. Also if you didn't use a new intake manifold gasket then you might have a big vacuum leak causing most of your issues. Last thing is there's a bracket near the throttle body that can some times make its way in between the upper and lower manifolds if your not careful when putting everything back together.
1-yes, the gray is really dark, looks black in poor light. The two connectors are close to each other as well.
2-yes, could be. Spraying intake connections (engine running) with carb cleaner will cause engine speed to change if it sucks the spray through an intake leak.
3-@dmdicks meant to say was, "there is a bracket between the throttle body and the UIM, it goes to the OUTSIDE of the connection, NOT between the TB and UIM. It's on the bottom of the TB".

My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #9 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
1-yes, the gray is really dark, looks black in poor light. The two connectors are close to each other as well.
2-yes, could be. Spraying intake connections (engine running) with carb cleaner will cause engine speed to change if it sucks the spray through an intake leak.
3-@dmdicks meant to say was, "there is a bracket between the throttle body and the UIM, it goes to the OUTSIDE of the connection, NOT between the TB and UIM. It's on the bottom of the TB".
So I just replaced the IAC Valve and replaced the one that I had on there, and for a while it ran just like it should have but then after a couple days it started to have the same type of idling. On Valentines day, I took my girl to go and eat and she turned the AC on and it stopped idling up and down after a couple of minutes. I turned the air off and it started back up. So now I am really confused as to what it could be. With the AC on it will idle like it used to for a few seconds when I come to a stop but then it will slow down and drop back to a little below 1k RPMs so any further advice? I did check all the wiring and everything seemed to be wired correctly(the grey plug really did look black lol) but any ideas as to why the AC is stopping it?
post #10 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Still the same me...

The P0171 & 174 can also be an exhaust leak.

Let me think about the AC issue.

post #11 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
The P0171 & 174 can also be an exhaust leak.

Let me think about the AC issue.
How would I check for a leak?
post #12 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Still the same me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ahumada View Post
How would I check for a leak?
Best bet is to get the front of the car up, ramps, lift, jack and jack stands.
Start car, have someone block off the tailpipe with gloves or a big rag while you look/listen/feel for leaks.
Yes, the exhaust gets hot, but blocking off the tailpipe makes even small leaks more obvious.
Typical spot is the flex pipes or connections/gaskets. Sometimes it's between the exhaust and the head which can be harder to find, especially the rear head on a V6.

post #13 of 14 Old 02-16-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Best bet is to get the front of the car up, ramps, lift, jack and jack stands.
Start car, have someone block off the tailpipe with gloves or a big rag while you look/listen/feel for leaks.
Yes, the exhaust gets hot, but blocking off the tailpipe makes even small leaks more obvious.
Typical spot is the flex pipes or connections/gaskets. Sometimes it's between the exhaust and the head which can be harder to find, especially the rear head on a V6.
Okay for sure ill check it as soon as I can. Any idea why the AC would cause my idle problem to kind of stop? lol I mean I don't mind using my AC especially bc I am in AZ lol but just thought it was weird that it would stop the problem.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-12-2017, 02:45 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
SharkInfested will become famous soon enough
Garage

Might be a stupid question or answer, but did you have to take the intake off for any reason when you were changing all these parts? Did you connect the MAF sensor connector back on? If you had to remove the MAF, did you put it back in the correct position with the arrow pointing towards the throttle body?

I had something similar happen to me and it was because I forgot to attach the connector when I put everything back together.

2003 Tiburon GS-R
NGM Sniper Stage 2 Supercharged!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.