DIY: 2.7L Manual Transmission Gear Oil Change - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Still lurks on occasion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another level
(Thread Starter)
2.7L Manual Transmission Gear Oil Change

Disclaimer: This DIY is for a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 Six Speed. The location of the drain and fill bolts may be different on your particular year model and manual transmission configuration.

Update: According to Yoyo, NT's resident PR Tib expert; all the manual tranny gear oil change procedures are the same (V6 6 speed from 03-08 ) or (V6 5 speed from 03-08 ). I will keep this updated with any further info that anyone contributes. I do know that in the 03's the location of the drain and fill bolts is slightly different, and I'll update the thread with pictures of an 03'.

Of course, this is NOT meant for any auto transmissions out there! You guys have it easy when it comes to this one.

Okay, it's been a LONG tine since I contributed a DIY thread to NT, so I though this might clear up some confusion out there as to the procedure for changing out one's manual gear oil. I just hit 30k with the Tib and since Hyundai of Jacksonville can rarely do a job right on my car, I decided that they would not get the privilege of working on my car for this either. Hence, the DIY you see here.

Parts Needed:

3 quarts of your favorite tranny gear oil in GL4 and 75W specification.

I wanted to try Redline MT-90 so I ordered three quarts from JEGS online:

http://www.jegs.com/

1 3/8 Drive Ratchet and 10mm "Hex" Socket

4 Jackstands (or 2 and utilize 2 drive up ramps for the front end like I did - you will understand why you will want all four points up in the air shortly)

1 Hydraulic Floor Jack

1 Bucket

1 Oil Drain Pan

3-4 Shop Rags
(Trust me, you'll need these)

1 Carpenter's leveler (if you are overly obsessive at times like me).

1 Fluid Pump Apparatus (such as this example below)

This is a very straightforward operation really. All you have to do is simply get all your supplies together and then find a level area (in my case, my garage) to work on the car.

Step 1:

This is what I did to get my car off the ground: I drove the car onto the drive up ramps and then MADE SURE the car was in first gear. VERY important.....remember, we have front wheel drive and you don't want that sucker slipping back down off of the ramps! Then just go to the rear of the car and using the floor jack, lift the back end of the car until it looks level with the front end. You can use the rear tow bar as a jack point. It should not hurt anything. I have done it many times thus far with no issues. Now, you CAN then put two jack stands under the car on both sides and remove the floor jack, but I choose not to do this in the interest of saving some time. Don't blame me if your jack fails and your car comes crashing down. You have been warned.

Do as I say, not as I did.....

At this point, make sure the car is level because it will affect where the tranny oil you are about to replace will be leveling off and filling up. You want it to indicate correctly when the trans case is full. Just use the carpenters level on the lower rocker panel and adjust if need be. Probably a bit too obsessive on my part, but hey, I don't like possibly tedious mistakes that would otherwise be avoided with a little forethought.

Step 2:

Now it's time to crawl under the car and get busy. Start by locating the drain and fill bolts for your particular model and year. The owners manual tries to show you, but I found mine to be vague at best. NT.com search button to the rescue!

Here's the location of mine from the direct front and drivers side wheel perspective, which is where you will find the transmission bell housing drivers side where the bolts reside, and if you simply look through the wheel well (as if the wheel was off of the car) you will see this:

Upper (Fill) and Lower (Drain) 10 mm hex bolts respectively

Another view of the lower drain bolt

Time to loosen and remove them - start with the upper one (fill plug bolt) and loosen it most of the way, but not all the way.

Then completely remove the lower one, but make sure your oil drain pan is underneath it first because some nice fairly dirty tranny oil will start issuing forth at a pretty rapid rate, especially once you go back and remove the upper drain plug completely.

Let 'er drain until all of the old fluid is out:

Done!

Out with the old stuff.......mine was fairly amber colored. You want it to be almost clear. I'd say every 30k is a good benchmark for changing it out, and I'm not even that hard on transmissions these days.

Step 3:

Time to put the good stuff in. Insert and tighten the bottom fill bolt and washer to torque specs first. I chose not to get a new washer because the old one looked fine, but it's personal preference really.

Set up the pump according to the directions that hopefully came with it. Mine was easy......connect two hoses, one to siphon and one to fill, and I was good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wagtoda3rd: "Umm wheres the guy who gave me the majority of my infractions?"

Last edited by CableTec; 10-18-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Still lurks on occasion

CableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another level
(Thread Starter)
Re: DIY: Manual Transmission Gear Oil Change (with pictures)

Insert the siphon end into one of the new bottles of fluid and elevate it ABOVE the level of the transmission fill plug somehow.

Next, run the fill tube to the upper drain bolt hole.

Lastly, it's time to pump that new beautiful Redline (or whatever you choose) into the trans housing. Prime the pump and just pump at a nice, even rate. You'll hear some gurgling and some air, but once you get it started, it should flow evenly for the most part until you finish the quart. Rinse and repeat for the next two quarts UNTIL and only until you see some fluid start to dribble out of the upper housing fill hole that you inserted the hose into. You did put the oil pan underneath to catch the leakage didn't you?

That's it! Now simply insert and tighten the upper fill bolt back to torque specs, or if you have a good feel for how tight various bolts should be from experience, then do it by feel. You don't want to compress the washer that comes with the bolts though. This will lead to leakage, so do not over tighten! Take the fluid pump assembly and drop it into the bucket I asked you to have handy, because it will be leaking fluid all over the floor otherwise.

My Tib manual says the trans should hold 2.86 quarts, and that's pretty dead on accurate. It took all three quarts of fluid until about 1/4 was left in the last quart before it started to drip out of the upper fill reservoir.

Drop the car and take it for a drive and feel the nice crisp, precise shifting, and in my case, reduced noise from the transmission. Feel confident that your Tib loves you for it.

Hope this helps some of you out possibly. Feel free to let me know what you think or if I can answer any questions, feel free to ask away.

-Brad aka CableTec on NT.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CableTec; 11-15-2007 at 11:51 PM.
#3 Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Still lurks on occasion

(Thread Starter)

Also, can I get a link put into the official DIY links thread?

Thanks guys.

#4 Old 11-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Sam:Moderator of the Dead

RedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another level

So, are you telling me that there is NO fill plug from above the motor?
#5 Old 11-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Still lurks on occasion

(Thread Starter)

Yep, you got it man.......there had been some debate on this one, which is why I wrote the DIY.....plus, in my research for that thread, I found that there were no real comprehensive instructions on how to do the procedure along with pictures.

See this thread here for the debate.

Transmission Drain & Filler. PICS

Last edited by CableTec; 11-15-2007 at 11:42 PM.
#6 Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Sam:Moderator of the Dead

RedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another levelRedTibby04 is on another level

Wow, go Hyundai.....lol
#7 Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Still lurks on occasion

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTibby04 View Post
Wow, go Hyundai.....lol
Well, the auto powa people have a fill reservoir and even a dipstick up top of the engine.....but do the manual drivers get such love? No..................

#8 Old 11-16-2007, 09:02 AM
EL NINJA MODERADOR

YoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another level

Brad fix the description all tranny's are the same (6 speed from 03-08 ) or (5 speed from 03-08 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTibby04 View Post
Wow, go Hyundai.....lol
Must cars are like that

#9 Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Still lurks on occasion

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Yoyo......I'll be adding pictures of an 03' 5 speed GT V6 to represent the locations of the drain and fill bolts on that particular year as it is slightly different, but the procedure is the same.

More pics for reference on the 5 spd 03 V6 manual:

Here's a pic of the level fill nut (on the face of the black plate)

Here's the drain plug (brass) on an 03 V6 GT

Last edited by CableTec; 02-22-2008 at 08:55 PM.
#10 Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Worst Overall NT Member of 2010

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
krazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond repute

You dont need a pump. u can get a funnel with a bendable neck. thats how i did mine. its almost the same as your tibs. the funnel was about 5 bucks at autozone. which is alot cheaper then the pump

2008 toyota prius-Intake, exhaust, lambo doors, leds, spoiler, and more
#11 Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Still lurks on occasion

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, I thought about doing it that way as well as I had read about using a funnel with long tube like Alex (Bosco) and a few others have done.........but I saw the pump while I was at Sears and it was cheap, but you are right, the way to do it with a funnel and long hose is to just have someone either hold the hose for you, or pour the fluid while holding the funnel above the level of the fill plug for you while you keep an eye on the hose that is inserted in the fill hole.

#12 Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
krazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond repute

i did it on my own. and we all know im not the brightest

2008 toyota prius-Intake, exhaust, lambo doors, leds, spoiler, and more
#13 Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Stimpy2301 is just really niceStimpy2301 is just really niceStimpy2301 is just really niceStimpy2301 is just really nice

Nice work Brad! Maybe I'll save myself some $$ next scheduled service that comes around. How much did the pump cost?

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
Heated Seats ~ Door Panel Removal ~ Int Door Handle Swap ~ Move Cruise ~ Dash USB/Audio
T-Only Center Caps ~ In-Dash Garage Open ~ Horn Swap ~ CF Hood Prop ~ Trunk Fire Ext ~ Fan Resistor
#14 Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Retired Staff

Trinity is on another levelTrinity is on another levelTrinity is on another levelTrinity is on another levelTrinity is on another levelTrinity is on another levelTrinity is on another levelTrinity is on another levelTrinity is on another levelTrinity is on another levelTrinity is on another level

Thanks for the great DIY. I'll be doing this really soon since my car is at ~40K miles now and I'm sure needs this.

Am I just seeing things or does the picture when you have the red tube from the pump to fill the tranny back up "Fill Plug" looks like a different location than the first pic where you have it labeled as "Fill plug bolt"? Maybe it's the orientation of the pic but it looks like a different location to me.

All hope and no change make Obama something..... something......

Last edited by Trinity; 01-16-2008 at 10:45 AM.
#15 Old 01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Still lurks on occasion

(Thread Starter)

Thanks guys! Glad this will help some people out.

It's the orientation of the picture. I assure you, the hose was in the correct hole. The picture is rotated counterclockwise one turn, so just rotate the picture once to the right clockwise, and the drain plug should look as if it is higher. That would be the correct representation for the upper fill bolt. It was just hard to get the camera angled just so at the time.

Also, the pump was probably 10-15 bucks at most Andy.

#16 Old 01-21-2008, 02:41 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

roflmywaffle

wow. thanks for this info! this sure as hell beats the $100 that EVERY shop in town wants for a tranny fluid change.

Dyno coming soon! I/H/E + .350 cams & SFR ECU reflash

#17 Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Coegi vos via~

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
optimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another level

Do you have any pictures for a 2004 Tiburon 4-cyl, 5-spd drain and fill holes?

I used your pictures as a reference and crawled underneath the car, but I couldn't find the fill and drain holes.

-Optimummind
#18 Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

TibTuner407 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks man! I'm getting ready to do this on my girl; too. This will work out a lot better than taking it to the dealer, as they charge rapish fees around here.

DON'T PANIC

5-speed manual, 2.0L CVVT i-4. Custom SRI w/ AEM Dryflow filter, custom Magnaflow cat-back with 2.25" piping, stock tips/resonator. Soon to come: Angel eyes, 5-spoke wheels, coilovers.
#19 Old 02-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Coegi vos via~

optimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another level

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableTec View Post
Thanks Yoyo......I'll be adding pictures of an 03' 5 speed GT V6 to represent the locations of the drain and fill bolts on that particular year as it is slightly different, but the procedure is the same.

More pics for reference on the 5 spd 03 GK manual:

Here's a pic of the level fill nut (on the face of the black plate)

Here's the drain plug (brass) on an 03 GT

Hi CableTec,

I have a '04 Tiburon 4-cyl, 5-spd manual. Are my drain and fill plugs located in the same place as the '03 Tiburon you showed in the picture? Is that '03 a V6 or a 4-cyl?

Last time I tried it find them underneath my car, I only found the drain plug but couldn't find the fill plug.

-Optimummind

**EDIT: nvm, I found them both.

Last edited by optimummind; 02-11-2008 at 10:50 AM.
#20 Old 02-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Still lurks on occasion

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimummind View Post
Do you have any pictures for a 2004 Tiburon 4-cyl, 5-spd drain and fill holes?

I used your pictures as a reference and crawled underneath the car, but I couldn't find the fill and drain holes.

-Optimummind

I see that you found them apparently, but unfortunately, the only pictures I have been able to reference have been for the V6 Tiburon.

#21 Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

herbtea will become famous soon enough
Re: DIY: Manual Transmission Gear Oil Change

Ahh this is great since I have 32,000 on my Tib now! Hmmm now I need to decide what fluid to get?

Gone is the Tib, gone is the GC. What do I have now?
#22 Old 07-07-2008, 09:09 AM

BlackSharkGT is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks cable. Im due for this as well but quick question, after this did u see any improvement with the shifting (u know that stupid grinding problem)?

2004 Black GT SE
Injen SRI Mussa Exhaust KGB Delrin Bushings Magstar Wires ARK S2K Antenna Valeo Extreme Clutch with Flywheel Conversion RPM Rear Strut Bar
Xplod 12's Xplod 1000w Amp MW Interior Drag DR-17's Falken Azenis Tires Xentec 12000k HID'sWingless Mod 35% Tint Custom Aggressive Eyelids yellow fogs black stockers niteshaded tails

#23 Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Still lurks on occasion

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSharkGT View Post
thanks cable. Im due for this as well but quick question, after this did u see any improvement with the shifting (u know that stupid grinding problem)?

I have read that using certain brands of tranny fluid such as GM Syncromesh helps tame the grinding, but after using it for a while now, I can say that Redline MT-90 is a good fluid, but probably not that great at making the car shift more smoothly.

If anything, I have to work about as hard as ever with the shifting to keep it smooth now because Redline MT-90 takes a long time to get warm in the tranny.

#24 Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Coegi vos via~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableTec View Post
I have read that using certain brands of tranny fluid such as GM Syncromesh helps tame the grinding, but after using it for a while now, I can say that Redline MT-90 is a good fluid, but probably not that great at making the car shift more smoothly.

If anything, I have to work about as hard as ever with the shifting to keep it smooth now because Redline MT-90 takes a long time to get warm in the tranny.
Hmm, I was planning to try the Redline MT-90. Maybe I'll try the Amsoil MTF instead then.

=멤버프로파일:

=Album:

++++++++++
++++++++++
#25 Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 AM

Tibbin will become famous soon enough

This thread was a life saver! I just used it to change my transaxle oil. I used Royal Purple Max Gear 75-W90. I wanted to use a GL-5 oil since that is what it says in the owner's manual. I just wish I hadn't drained the oil before realising my siphon was gone. It was a messy night! Trans runs awesome now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.