DIY: 2.7L Timing Belt Replacement - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nalucido is just really niceNalucido is just really niceNalucido is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
2.7L Timing Belt Replacement

If you at all are unsure of this replacement and uneasy of doing this replacement yourself (could cause serious car problems), please talk to Derek (only1db) to set up an appointment to change it out for you! He's a certified Hyundai technician and has done the replacement multiple times.

REMOVAL

Engine removal is not required for this procedure.
1. Remove the engine cover.
2. Remove RH front wheel.
3. Remove 2bolts(B) and RH side cover(A).

4. Turn the crankshaft pulley, and align its groove with timing mark Tof the timing belt cover.

NOTE: ALWAYS TURN CRANKSHAFT CLOCKWISE!
5. Remove drive belt(A) and belt tensioner(B).

6. Remove the engine mount bracket. (Set the jack to the engine oil pan)

NOTE: Place wooden block between the jack and engine oil pan.
(Remove the 2bolts, 2nuts and engine mount bracket(A).)

7. Remove the power steering pump. (See ST group - power steering pump)
8. Remove the 7bolts(B) and timing belt upper cover(A).

9. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt and crankshaft pulley(A).

10. Remove the drive belt idler pulley(A).

11. Remove the 4bolts(B) and timing belt lower cover(A).

12. Remove the engine support bracket(A).

13. Check that timing marks of the camshaft timing pulleys and cylinder head covers are aligned. If not, turn the crankshaft 1revolution(360).
14. Remove timing belt tensioner. Alternately loosen the 2bolts, and remove the tensioner(A).

15. Remove the timing belt(A).

NOTE: If the timing belt is reused, make an arrow indicating the turning direction to make sure that the belt is reinstalled in the same direction as before.
16. Remove the tensioner pulley(A) and timing belt idler pulley(B).

17. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.
18. Remove camshaft sprockets. Hold the hexagonal head wrench portion of the camshaft with a wrench and remove the bolt and camshaft sprocket.
CAUTION: Be careful not to damage the cylinder head and valve lifter with the wrench.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007-2008 NIA Front & Side Splitter Kit Group Buy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GeneralDuke; 02-21-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Nalucido is just really niceNalucido is just really niceNalucido is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Re: Timing Belt Replacement

INSTALLATION

1. Install the crankshaft sprocket. Align the pulley set key with the key groove the crankshaft sprocket and slide on the crankshaft sprocket.
2. Install the camshaft sprockets and tighten the bolts to the specified torque. (a. Temporarily install the camshaft sprocket bolts.) (b. Hold the hexagonal head wrench portion of the camshaft with a wrench, and tighten the camshaft sprocket bolts.)
TORQUE: Tightening torque - Camshaft sprocket bolt 90 ~ 110Nm (900 ~ 1100kgf.cm, 65 ~ 80lbf.ft)
3. Install the idler pulley(B) and the tensioner pulley(A).
TORQUE: Tightening torque - Idler pulley bolt 50 ~ 60Nm (500 ~ 600kgf.cm, 36 ~ 43lbf.ft) & Tensioner arm fixed bolt 35 ~ 55Nm (350 ~ 550kgf.cm, 25 ~ 40lbf.ft)
NOTE: Insert and install the idler pulley to the roll pin that is pressed in the water pump boss.

4. Align the timing marks of the camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprocket with the No.1 piston placed at top dead center and its compression stroke.

5. Set timing belt tensioner. (a. Using a press, slowly press in the push rod.) (b. Align the holes of the push rod and housing pass a set pin through the holes to keep the setting position of the push rod.) (c. Release the press.)
6. Install the timing belt tensioner. (a. Temporarily install the tensioner with the 2bolts.) (b. Alternately tighten the 2bolts.)
TORQUE: Tightening torque - 20 ~ 27Nm (200 ~ 270kgf.cm, 14 ~ 20lbf.ft)

7. Install the timing belt. (a. Remove any oil or water on the sprockets, and keep them clean.) (b. Install the tming belt in this order. Crankshaft sprocket(A) → Idler pulley(B) → Camshaft sprocket LH side(C) → Water pump pulley(D) → Camshaft sprocket RH side(E) → Tensioner pulley(F).)

8. Remove the set pin(A) from the tensioner.

9. Timing belt tensioner checking. (a. Rotate the crankshaft 2turns clockwise and measure the projected length of the auto tensioner at TDC(#1 compression stroke) after 5 minutes.) (b. The projected length should be 7 ~ 9mm (0.27 ~ 0.31in.))

10. Install the engine support bracket(A).
TORQUE: Tightening torque - B : 60 ~ 70Nm (600 ~ 700kgf.cm, 43 ~ 51lbf.ft)
C : 15 ~ 22Nm (150 ~ 220kgf.cm, 11 ~ 16lbf.ft)

11. Install the timing belt lower cover(A) with 4bolts(B).
TORQUE: Tightening torque - Timing belt cover bolt 10 ~ 12Nm (100 ~120kgf.cm, 7 ~ 9lbf.ft)

12. Install the drive belt idler pulley(A).
TORQUE: Tightening torque - Idler pulley bolt 35 ~ 55Nm (350 ~ 550kgf.cm, 25 ~ 40lgf.ft)

13. Install the crankshaft pulley(A). Make sure that crankshaft sprocket pin fits the small hole in the pulley.
TORQUE: Tightening torque - Crankshaft pulley bolt 180 ~ 190Nm (1800 ~ 1900kgf.cm, 130 ~ 138lbf.ft)

14. Install the timing belt upper cover(A) with 7bolts(B).

15. Install the power steering pump.
16. Install the drive belt tensioner(B) and drive belt(A).

17. Install the engine mount bracket. Install engine mount bracket with 2nuts and 2bolt.
TORQUE: Tightening torque - 60 ~ 80Nm (600 ~ 800kgf.cm, 44 ~ 59lbf.ft)

18. Install RH side cover(A) with 2bolts(B).

19. Install RH front wheel.
20. Install engine cover.

#3 Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)
Re: Timing Belt Replacement

INSPECTION

SPOCKETS, TENSIONER, IDLER
1. Check the camshaft sproket, crankshaft sprocket, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley for abnormal wear, cracks, or damage. Replace as necessary.
2. Inspect the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley for easy and smooth rotation and check for play or noise. Replace as necessary.

3. Replace the pulley if there is a grease leak from its bearing.

TIMING BELT
1. Check the belt for oil or dust deposits. Replace, if necessary. Small deposits should be wiped away with a dry cloth or paper. Do not clean with solvent.
2. When the engine is overhauled or belt tension adjusted, check the belt carefully. If any of the following flaws are evident, replace the belt.
NOTE: 1. Do not bend, twist or turn the timing belt inside out. 2. Do not allow the timing belt to come into contact with oil, water and steam.

Retrieved from:
www.hmaservice.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Videos provided by bogie

#4 Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)
Re: DIY: 2.7L Timing Belt Replacement

Oh good, this did get posted.

Bump for help.

#5 Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

BlackHillsTib

Great write up
#6 Old 02-22-2010, 01:17 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalucido View Post
If you at all are unsure of this replacement and uneasy of doing this replacement yourself (could cause serious car problems - to the point of detonation), take it to a shop!

REMOVAL

Engine removal is not required for this procedure.
1. Remove the engine cover.
2. Remove RH front wheel.
3. Remove 2bolts(B) and RH side cover(A).

4. Turn the crankshaft pulley, and align its groove with timing mark Tof the timing belt cover.

NOTE: ALWAYS TURN CRANKSHAFT CLOCKWISE!
5. Remove drive belt(A) and belt tensioner(B).

6. Remove the engine mount bracket. (Set the jack to the engine oil pan)

NOTE: Place wooden block between the jack and engine oil pan.
(Remove the 2bolts, 2nuts and engine mount bracket(A).)

7. Remove the power steering pump. (See ST group - power steering pump)
8. Remove the 7bolts(B) and timing belt upper cover(A).

9. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt and crankshaft pulley(A).

10. Remove the drive belt idler pulley(A).

11. Remove the 4bolts(B) and timing belt lower cover(A).

12. Remove the engine support bracket(A).

13. Check that timing marks of the camshaft timing pulleys and cylinder head covers are aligned. If not, turn the crankshaft 1revolution(360).
14. Remove timing belt tensioner. Alternately loosen the 2bolts, and remove the tensioner(A).

15. Remove the timing belt(A).

NOTE: If the timing belt is reused, make an arrow indicating the turning direction to make sure that the belt is reinstalled in the same direction as before.
16. Remove the tensioner pulley(A) and timing belt idler pulley(B).

17. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.
18. Remove camshaft sprockets. Hold the hexagonal head wrench portion of the camshaft with a wrench and remove the bolt and camshaft sprocket.
CAUTION: Be careful not to damage the cylinder head and valve lifter with the wrench.

#7 Old 08-03-2010, 03:11 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

christopher_03_gt will become famous soon enough

need a lil help (instead of mamking a thread i am posting here)
i need to remove the tensioner!!!
im not sure how to!/ (doing a a/c delete and a smaller belt.)

u never know whats lurking in the dark!
#8 Old 08-03-2010, 04:49 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

the tensioner is just held on by 2 10mm bolts. Very easy to pull away from the block.

#9 Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Bentron is an unknown quantity at this point

If you specifically look up just the part number of the belt on amazon.com it's like half the price of local auto part stores ...
#10 Old 08-21-2010, 05:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

hamrhead

hey great DIY, was wondering about step 17 and 18 in the removal process, is it necessary to take off the cam and crank sprockets?

and how do u know for sure ur motors in the TDC position?
#11 Old 09-06-2010, 02:05 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

hamrhead

hey Nalucido u never answered my questions!! wtf man, jus jk thats ok i already know what to do, pretty easy job all done.

#12 Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 AM
NewTiburon.com God

TuscaniGTFL has a spectacular aura aboutTuscaniGTFL has a spectacular aura about

Great DIY, I'll be needing to do this soon so hopefully I can use this DIY rather than taking it to a shop. Do you know where the best place to but a timing belt kit at? I was looking at the one on SFR but didn't know if you can get the same for better price...

The old Tib, 03 GT 6-speed (we all know the clutch problems that had lol)

On the lookout for a new tib...maybe...
#13 Old 09-09-2010, 01:08 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

LOL SRY HAMRHEAD!

You can get the timing belt from the dealership or even ebay.

#14 Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
mrtibs can only hope to improve

Why did you not put the covers on?
#15 Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 PM

assad112000 will become famous soon enough

Alright so im removing my timing belt so i can be able to remove and replace my rear head but how exactly do i go about removing the crankshaft pulley since wen i go to loosen it with a wrench it just turns left? really confused right now i been looking at the DIY but cant figure this out.. any help or tips with this and the head removal would be awesome. thanks guys!
#16 Old 10-24-2010, 02:43 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
MindHacker is just really niceMindHacker is just really niceMindHacker is just really niceMindHacker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by assad112000 View Post
Alright so im removing my timing belt so i can be able to remove and replace my rear head but how exactly do i go about removing the crankshaft pulley since wen i go to loosen it with a wrench it just turns left? really confused right now i been looking at the DIY but cant figure this out.. any help or tips with this and the head removal would be awesome. thanks guys!
We 4banger guys put a breaker bar on it, wedge the bar against the frame, pull the plug wires, and then crank the engine - just barely.

It's like magic. I thought for sure stuff would explode, but it worked perfectly.

Go: Alpine m62 @ 5psi strut/sway/room/lower bars, DTPs, koyo rad, LW fly, +clutch, xg350 bbk, 18x8+35
Show: Lambo's, CF Hatch/hood/trim, diffuser, tint, fenders, volt stabilizer, strobes, AE's, underglow, gilllglow, custom tails
Interior: Integrated radar/eeepc/cb, dynamat, 300w sub, marble & leather, glow, sills, door plates + 2nd handles, Starlight headliner, analog clock, passenger horn
In progress: fixing these.
#17 Old 10-24-2010, 03:23 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mr.Asian

Omg this is good stuff.. What mileage is recommended for this?

#18 Old 10-25-2010, 01:16 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Every 60k miles.

People usually do it 50k.

#19 Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Will51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another level

So, in changing the timing belt from my stock engine to the new one, I have the same question posted above, why remove the cam sprockets? It seems it would be harder, the things flopped on me twice as it is I had to get a breaker bar on the cam sprocket bolt just to hold them in place while I lined up everything else.

For quickest response regarding ZMR Mods please email me at
#20 Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

You don't have to remove them, Hyundai just mentions it to be easier....

but then again, it is Hyundai...

#21 Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Amber will become famous soon enoughAmber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalucido View Post
Every 60k miles.

People usually do it 50k.
My timing belt hasn't been replaced since it rolled off the lot. It's now at 137,000+ miles. Is it a miracle that something hasn't broken down yet?

Getting it replaced early next month though.
#22 Old 04-07-2011, 02:47 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Tcarboy7 will become famous soon enoughTcarboy7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
My timing belt hasn't been replaced since it rolled off the lot. It's now at 137,000+ miles. Is it a miracle that something hasn't broken down yet?

Getting it replaced early next month though.
i wouldnt call it a miracle....but that is pretty crazy. a lot of it depends how hard you are on your car. if you beat on it everyday the timing belt goes through a lot of time being stressed....if you just drive the car and are easy on it the belt can last way over 60K. I'm at 62K right now on original belt. but im gonna change it this summer. just to be safe

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 6SPD
BONE STOCK
#23 Old 04-07-2011, 11:49 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Amber will become famous soon enoughAmber will become famous soon enough

My husband pushed it pretty hard when he first got it but the past five years or so we've been really easy on it. Just lots of miles, mostly on cruise. So that's probably why it's lasted.
#24 Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 AM
NewTiburon.com God

GT Racer will become famous soon enough

HOLLY HECK! that looks like a big project!!! 0_o

#25 Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

JohnnyG is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of the timing belt replacement "kits" available from various stores include oil seals. What are these for, exactly, how are they replaced, and how important is it to replace them when the timing belt is done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
"timing belt", 2.7l

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.