DIY: 2.7L Spark Plug Replacement - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 04-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Hidden Innuendo Mod

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
caconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
2.7L Spark Plug Replacement

This DIY was created by eclark53520. I am simply posting this in the DIY section so it is easy to find. Thank you eclark.

Tools Needed:
3/8" Ratchet
Extension(I recommend a 6 inch)
10mm Socket
12mm Socket
5/8" Spark Plug Socket

Recommended plugs for the 2.7L are Champion RC10YC4 and NGK PFR5N-11

Step 1: Remove plastic engine cover(Hint: Pop off the silver inserts and H sign to get to the bolts holding it on)

Step 2: Remove intake hose between MAF sensor and throttle body(Use steps 11-17 in this DIY for help if you are unsure on how to do this: http://newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150273 )

Step 3: Remove throttle body(DIY posted here: http://newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1761 )

Step 4: Remove upper intake manifold(DIY posted here: http://newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760 )

Step 5: Measure and gap all your new plugs. I use a .044 gap I believe. Recommended gap is 0.039~0.043 in. or 1.0~1.1 mm

Step 6: Pull black boot off of spark plug and out of the plug well

Step 7: Use 5/8" plug socket, extension, and ratchet to remove the spark plug

Step 8: Apply anti-seize to the threads on the new spark plugs to prevent damage to the aluminum heads.

Step 9: Guide the new spark plug into the plug socket. Using the extension, lower the new plug into position, being careful not to damage the ceramic insulator. Use your hands NOT the ratchet to get the plug started in its threads. You do this because you don't want to cross thread it. If it doesn't go in relatively easy for the first few turns remove and try again.

Step 10: Use the ratchet to tighten the plug firmly. Do not over-tighten, as this can cause cause you to damage the threads in the cylinder head. Torque wrench specs are 18-21 ft/lbs.

Step 11: Apply dielectric grease to the plug wires to prevent any possible damage.

Step 12: Replace spark plug boot onto spark plug. Make sure it snaps into place and can't fall or pop off.

Note: It's recommended you replace your throttle body and intake manifold gaskets, but unless you notice any cracks, chips, damage, etc., you will be fine to reuse the ones you have.

Here is my contribution:
It is not necessary to completely remove the throttle body from the engine. Simply unbolt the two bolts and the two nuts that connect it to the manifold. The throttle body will just hang there after the manifold itself is removed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caconman424
I search my user-name for threads that I havent replied to, just to see who is talking about me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JP for President 2012!!

Last edited by GeneralDuke; 06-16-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Luke: NT's Skywalker

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
GeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another level
Garage
Re: DIY: 2.7L Spark Plug Replacement by eclark53520

Revised, approved, and moved.

Thanks

- Rota/Ark/UltraRacing/Moog/NGM/G-Games/Injen/KJBMotorsports/Mishimoto/Ingalls/Zefiro/Fujita/GT Tech/Tomato A&P/FFF/Midnight Wolf/ZMR/RRM/Fatmat/NRG/MOMO/RAYS/WORK/Greddy/Pioneer/Infinity/Streetwires/Falken/Aerocatch/EXLED/Glowshift/ATI/Optima/EXOS/SFR/Kickxtc/EvasiveMotorsports/Diode Dynamics/Wilwood

2011 4.6L Titanium Hyundai Genesis
#3 Old 05-11-2010, 01:45 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trinity83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome DIY! This is going to be my first time changing the plugs and wires on a car, ever. I not worried about it, seems simple, but time consuming. About how long should it take from start to finish? The local shop says it calls for over 6 hours of labor...That's why I am going to do it! Doesn't matter if it takes me days, I will save money...I was just curious what the average time scale was though. Thanks!

#4 Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Luke: NT's Skywalker

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
GeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another level
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity83 View Post
Awesome DIY! This is going to be my first time changing the plugs and wires on a car, ever. I not worried about it, seems simple, but time consuming. About how long should it take from start to finish? The local shop says it calls for over 6 hours of labor...That's why I am going to do it! Doesn't matter if it takes me days, I will save money...I was just curious what the average time scale was though. Thanks!
Takes me an hour to an hour and a half. But I'll assume you haven't ever taken off your IM or TB. You should leave yourself a few hours to get it done. It's not a hard job at all.

- Rota/Ark/UltraRacing/Moog/NGM/G-Games/Injen/KJBMotorsports/Mishimoto/Ingalls/Zefiro/Fujita/GT Tech/Tomato A&P/FFF/Midnight Wolf/ZMR/RRM/Fatmat/NRG/MOMO/RAYS/WORK/Greddy/Pioneer/Infinity/Streetwires/Falken/Aerocatch/EXLED/Glowshift/ATI/Optima/EXOS/SFR/Kickxtc/EvasiveMotorsports/Diode Dynamics/Wilwood

2011 4.6L Titanium Hyundai Genesis
#5 Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Hidden Innuendo Mod

caconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)

Ya the only hard part is pulling off the intake manifold. Just a bunch of hard to reach bolts and nuts. Plus there is DIY all of this site for taking it off. everything else is cake

Quote:
I search my user-name for threads that I havent replied to, just to see who is talking about me
JP for President 2012!!
#6 Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
NewTiburon.com God

SharkBitten has a spectacular aura aboutSharkBitten has a spectacular aura aboutSharkBitten has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonman424 View Post
Ya the only hard part is pulling off the intake manifold. Just a bunch of hard to reach bolts and nuts. Plus there is DIY all of this site for taking it off. everything else is cake
Yup....and making sure everything is back together right and torqued down. lol...long story.

#7 Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Hidden Innuendo Mod

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBitten View Post
Yup....and making sure everything is back together right and torqued down. lol...long story.
ooh do tell. i have time

Quote:
JP for President 2012!!
#8 Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Well, it took me an hour to get the intake off...I know that I'll be able to put it on in half the time since I know what I am doing now...

#9 Old 05-13-2010, 01:47 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Sooo...how in the world are we supposed to hand tighten the spark plugs all the way down the well? Also, I am using the 5/8 socket with the extension and I got the plugs loosened, but they won't come up...What's another way to get them up without damaging anything?

#10 Old 05-13-2010, 01:53 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

You should add that the thread for the spark plugs needs anti-seize so you don't ruin the aluminum heads and di electric grease so you don't ruin the plug wires.

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.
#11 Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Hehe, just ignore me...I'm still a noob...Figured it all out.

#12 Old 05-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Hidden Innuendo Mod

(Thread Starter)

did you use a spark plug socket?

Quote:
JP for President 2012!!
#13 Old 05-13-2010, 04:34 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Yes, I did. My wrench was probably older than my father though...Once I changed it out to a newer one, it worked beautifully.

#14 Old 05-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Doomsday Postcard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanes View Post
You should add that the thread for the spark plugs needs anti-seize so you don't ruin the aluminum heads and di electric grease so you don't ruin the plug wires.

very good advice right there! i made the mistake of not doing that on my first car and i had to rip the plug wires off the next time and the contacts were stuck on the end of the spark plug!!! lol
#15 Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
peachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nice

Nice--this will help when I get around to needing it.

Just a couple of things--definitely use anti-seize as stated above. You really don't want to have cylinder head problems down the road. I wasn't aware that di-electric grease was necessary, good tip.

A tip for getting the new ones started--you can go to a hardware store and buy some rubber tubing just big enough to grip the tip of the plug, then lower it down into the cylinder head using the tubing and get it started in the threads. That way there's no way to get enough torque on the plug to cross thread it. Although I've only done plugs on a 4-cyl and it might be a little more difficult to get the plug lined up since the V6 isn't vertical but on an angle.

Also, I really wouldn't recommend Champion plugs. My bro worked on small engines for several years and he always told me they were junk. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years I'd stick with the NGKs or another high-quality brand.

2005 SE V6 6sp SOLD
2006 Pontiac GTO LS2 6-speed
#16 Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

bulletguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great DIY !!!
Boosted my confidence and knowledge 100X times

I referred this DIY to perform spark plug replacement and valve cover gasket replacement. It was a piece of cake, but screwed up badly at the end. I need your help in below mentioned problems.

1. I over tightened screws of valve cover gasket and broke two of them. . Right now there is no oil leaks. Is it fine to drive car with two screws off the valve cover?

2. What do I need to remove broker screws? Threads of screw are in lower portion of valve cover. What are the tools required to perform the fix.

3. I used Bosch iridium spark plug. After replacing spark plug, I can hear some ticking sound from engine. Is it the sound of spark? Or is it fuel injector making sound. I'm not sure if I had same sound in engine earlier. Any pointer in finding source of this sound will be helpful.

Thanks,
Bulletguy.
#17 Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Hidden Innuendo Mod

(Thread Starter)

Idk much about repairing broken screws. I'd probably say maybe invest in getting a new Lower intake manifold. So in other words, replace the valve that the screws are in with a new one. You can find them on here for fairly cheap. Sorry to hear tho man :/

Quote:
JP for President 2012!!
#18 Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Always Here To Help

TibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of lightTibbyTurnedTuscani is a glorious beacon of light

Bullet guy.... did you gap your plugs correctly? Did you make sure all the plug wires were back in the correct locations and all pushed on tightly?

As for the screws you broke, can you provide a pic so we can see it exactly?

*** The Helper-Mod of The People ***

Current Modded Toys List: GSXR-650, IceBear 150cc Scooter, Manco 6.5hp Go-Kart, 4x4 Ranger 4.0L
#19 Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 PM
NewTiburon.com God

heratik is a glorious beacon of lightheratik is a glorious beacon of lightheratik is a glorious beacon of lightheratik is a glorious beacon of lightheratik is a glorious beacon of light

@bulletguy -- If you broke off a bolt that holds your valve covers, you will need to (carefully) drill the bolt out, possibly rethread, and stick another bolt in there. I would not advise leaving it as is...you will likely have a leak in a very short amount of time.

Hello, my name is heratik and I'm a recovering boost addict.
#20 Old 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Thanks for your reply.
The plugs I have are not gappable. It has fixed gap.
Bolts I broke are on two opposite ends. I drove almost 120 miles after the job, still no oil leaks. Here is description of screws I broke. (will try to post pic and video if I get some camera to do it)
* |*|
I'm going to use drill and screw extractor bit to take out screw this weekend. Fortunately I used anti sieze compound on screws, so I think it will be easy to remove it.

Regarding sound. It still persists. Here are few things I suspect.

1. While removing two coolant hose, I heard loud sound (preassure or vaccum) and some of greenish liquid (may be coolant and quantity around 2 tbsp) spilled out. Do I have to do anything with coolant vaccum/preassure after performing this job?
2. I was bit scared after breaking two screws. So I did not over tightened the spark plugs, but it was tightened enough that you need tools to take it out. I believe if spark plug is loose I'd hear loud noise and some smoke/fuel seeping out from spark plug bed. correct?
3. I found that the sound comes continuously and it is not increasing with accelerating, so probably its not related to engine.
4. I can hear sound more loud near fuel injector (near driver side) and less loud on passenger side.
5. While reassembling everything by mistake I changed wiring order of spark plugs and it misfired. Immediately after couple of tries I stopped engine and corrected the order. Can it have any impact on my current problem?
6. Can bosch platinium iridium fusion spark plugs be loud enough to be audible. boschautoparts. com/sparkplugs/Pages/PlatinumIrFusion.aspx
#21 Old 05-19-2010, 05:02 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

----&---------&-----------&
&------------------------------|&|
---|&|---------&-----------&

|&| - broken bolt/screws
#22 Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

shark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of light

what are tq specs for the spark plugs.

///SHARK TALES\\\

Tib is gone, but not forgotten. Tumbler and Clean status awaits the new project.
#23 Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

My car is Hyundai sonata 2003 V6 LX model.

Specification of sparkplug from autozone.com, from where I purchased it

Weight: 0.1 lbs
Thread Size: M14 x 1.25
Resistor: Yes
Center Electrode Core: Platinum and iridium
Insulator Type: Pyranit
Ground Electrode Material: Nickel-yttrium
Thread Reach: 0.750 in. (19.00 mm.)
Seat Type: Gasket
#24 Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Any help on the subject?
I was recommended these plugs by autozone.
#25 Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

I removed that broken screw using drill and screw extractor. Because broken bolt had anti seize it was easy to remove it. In the process broke two drill bits

Sealed valve cover properly again with proper application of Gasket maker. Now cars runs more smooth and powerful. It either because of lousy job first time or the broken bolts, my car was not running with full power.

I got two new bolts from hyundai dealership at 50cents each. Those bolts are not available in autoparts store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.