NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
bogie is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Refurbishing Rims

*Do at your own risk, this is for informative purposes only*

Materials
-2 packs 3m wet or dry assorted sand paper packs with assorted grades. 220, 320, 400 grit.
-1 pack of super fine steel wool
-1 tub of running compound or rouge.
-1 can of mothers aluminum mag polish.
-if you have a dremel use the sand paper bands or the flap wheel (120 grit for either ).
-if you don't have a dremel use 120 grit sand paper.
-Windex
-some clean cotton rags.

Procedures:
1. Using the windex clean the wheel of any excess dirt and brake dust.
2. Now use the dremel or the 120 grit sand paper and start to sand off any oxidation and the remaining clear coat.
3. Once you have a dull but clean looking wheel, move on to the 220 grit paper, I would not wet sand just yet(this is optional however). Now sand until your wheel is smooth and you cannot see the previous scratches from the last grit you used.
4. Now I would suggest you go ahead and wet sand with the 320 grit paper, use quit a bit of water. Again sand until you get an even more refined look.
5. Now finally wet sand with the 400 grit paper, same procedure applies as before.
6. Now clean the wheel with the windex and wipe it down with a clean rag.
7. Use the superfine steel wool and buff the surfaces that you sanded down. The harder you buff the better the shine.
8. Use the rubbing compound or rouge and apply it sparingly, a little goes a long way. Once the compound has cured or dried go ahead and use a clean towel to buff the the areas you applied the compound to.
9. Use the mothers aluminum polish, and repeat step 8.(you will know when to start buffing the aluminum polish when if forms a black colored residue.)

NOTES:

-It took me almost 2 hours a wheel to do this, and I only did the lip of my wheels since that was the only part that was chipped and oxidized.

-Bare aluminum will oxidize easier than clear coated aluminum, so you have to keep them polished and protected. "Mothers" make some of the best metal polishes out there.

-You can obviously use a progressivly finer grit sand paper/steel wool. The only reason I used what I used is because that was the only thing available to me at the time I did this. I will post pics soon of before and after.

Good luck and strong arms.

Before

After

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bogie; 02-22-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2004, 02:28 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Freon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Refurbish them old nasty chipped aluminum rims

Image station does not allow remote linking, so unless your browser has already cached thoose images, you get an red X. You have to copy and paste the links to get your browser to cache them.

Looks neato, though. Not sure I'd recommend someone take the clearcoat off their rims unless they really had to. The aluminum will weather poorly in the open. Oxidation starts immediately once you expose aluminum to the air. It will be an ongoing battle keeping them in good shape. Granted maybe that is preferrable to that first picture.

'04 STi, GT3076R .82, FMIC, 3" catless exhaust, self-tuned Openecu.org reflash
#3 Old 02-22-2004, 02:49 PM
TNT
and his new kimchi coupe

TNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another levelTNT is on another level

Would this work the same with road rash on the rim lip?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gone, but not forgotten: 2003 GT V6 6MT in Jet Black @ 102,000 mi
Traded: Early 2003 GT V6 Auto in Super Silver @ 194,869 mi

Current: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 6MT in Silverstone

#4 Old 02-23-2004, 03:04 AM

(Thread Starter)

What is road rash? Freon is right, I only recommend this as a last resort, and as you can tell from the first pic my rims were pretty jackt. The aluminum polish is probably the most important step since it provides a barrier for the aluminum against the elements of the road.

#5 Old 02-29-2004, 12:03 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

KspecTibby is an unknown quantity at this point

Road rash is like getting rock chips in ur rim or when you curb real bad. am i right?

#6 Old 03-16-2004, 02:01 AM
NewTiburon.com God

tiburondriver47 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about for a minor curbing scrape?
#7 Old 03-16-2004, 05:52 AM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburondriver47
What about for a minor curbing scrape?
Depends on how severe it is, you would probably have to file it down first then sand it down uses the steps above.

#8 Old 03-16-2004, 11:28 AM

Pyridan is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah I gotta do something for my stock rims...they came f*cked up from the dealer, but I didn't notice for about a week and a half...then they wouldn't fix it.

I have a few mods, but until I can figure out how to do a good sig I won't waste space listing them
#9 Old 10-03-2004, 10:32 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

T17RNH is an unknown quantity at this point

undefinedundefinedundefinedOkay guys, how far away are your nearest Hyundai dealerships? I had the same problem you all are having and I did the PAINLESS process of taking my car in... WE HAVE A FREAKING 100k MILE WARRANTY, USE IT... Hyundai of North America put four NEW rims on my car... They will only have one question... "Do you use an abrasive cleaner on the wheels?" Your answer should be... "only soap and water"

2003 Mystic Teal GTV6
Custom Exhaust w/ Resignator Removal
DIY Clear Corners
DIY Sub Wiring
20% tint
235/45/17 zr tires
#10 Old 10-10-2004, 11:22 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Tiburon09 is an unknown quantity at this point

So if I got scratches on my rims from the previous driver, could I take my car to the dealership and get new ones? I got my car from a chevrolet dealership though. So would I have to go to a hyundai dealership?

You can't touch me with a six foot stick!
#11 Old 10-11-2004, 01:59 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

saywhat037 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess a good idea would be to "reseal" stratches with the compound and polish it over even without sanding down the rest of the wheel right? Wouldn't it work just as well to protect the scratches from further damage?
#12 Old 01-20-2006, 10:40 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Joe19825 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was reading this and does anyone have before and after pics?

Thanks
#13 Old 01-24-2006, 01:05 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Ok, i did the procedure above and the rims turned out great.

What do you think if I clear coted them next? Whould it turn out good or look like crap?
#14 Old 01-24-2006, 07:32 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

naturalkiller is an unknown quantity at this point

My warranty covers rims and tires,cracked or chip windshield,door dings and free oil change /service for 5 years.
#15 Old 01-24-2006, 08:38 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Anyone at all?
#16 Old 01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Kuroi is a glorious beacon of lightKuroi is a glorious beacon of lightKuroi is a glorious beacon of lightKuroi is a glorious beacon of lightKuroi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by T17RNH
undefinedundefinedundefinedOkay guys, how far away are your nearest Hyundai dealerships? I had the same problem you all are having and I did the PAINLESS process of taking my car in... WE HAVE A FREAKING 100k MILE WARRANTY, USE IT... Hyundai of North America put four NEW rims on my car... They will only have one question... "Do you use an abrasive cleaner on the wheels?" Your answer should be... "only soap and water"
So you are saying that Hyundai's 100k warranty covers cosmetic damage caused by either normal wear and tear or owner neglegence yet it only covers 12k for a clutch which can either be damaged by normal wear and tear or owner neglegence... why does this make absolutely no sense

Quote:
Donít misunderstand me. Iím not saying that the RX-8 R3 handles well for a $32k car. Iím saying it handles better than a $320k car... or, more importantly, whatever youíre driving.-
2005 Shinka Edition RX8 #1098 out of 1357 produced.
#17 Old 10-28-2007, 04:27 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

suprakidd has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi View Post
So you are saying that Hyundai's 100k warranty covers cosmetic damage caused by either normal wear and tear or owner neglegence yet it only covers 12k for a clutch which can either be damaged by normal wear and tear or owner neglegence... why does this make absolutely no sense
Agreed. mine has a small rust spot on the roof, happened a few months ago on the highway, my car was like 7 months old and they told me that id have to go to a body shop and have it repaired, repainted and blended in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.