DIY: Interior Door Handle (Latch/Lock Assembly) Replacement - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 12-29-2007, 03:18 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stimpy2301 is just really niceStimpy2301 is just really niceStimpy2301 is just really niceStimpy2301 is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Interior Door Handle (Latch/Lock Assembly) Replacement

The following DIY will provide instructions to replace your interior door handles (the latch you pull to open the door). I was unable to find any specific DIYs for this process, only some “advice” given with text only. Although the process is not that difficult, I’m always more comfortable with detailed instructions (especially since it requires door panel removal), so I hope this will help out some of you.

(Note: some folks have posted that they replaced their handles without removing the door panel. I didn’t try it, but visually evaluating the access shows that it could prove difficult if possible at all. Removing the door panel is easy enough, so I recommend doing it this way.)

DIY Contents:

First post:
-- Before & After photos
-- Terminology
-- Tools you will need
-- Special note for screw removals

Second post:
-- Procedure for door panel removal

Third post:
-- Procedure for latch handle assembly removal & replacement
-- Procedure for door panel reinstallation

Before & After Photos
Note, I had already replaced the black grips with the F/L2 gunmetal grips. In this DIY, I’ll be replacing the black latch handles with the F/L2 gunmetal handles.

Before:

After:

Terminology used in this DIY:
“Grip handle” or “Grip” – The long handle which you grab to pull the door closed.
“Latch handle” – The movable handle which you pull to unlatch & open the door.
“Latch handle backing” or “Catch” – The cup behind the latch handle, in which you insert your fingers to pull it open.
“Bushings” – the plastic hat-shaped pieces through which (5) of the door screws are installed.
“Caps” – the screw head covers for the (3) screws along back edge of door.
(Note: Handle assembly-specific terminology will be reviewed in the third post.)

Tools you will need:
-- Flathead screwdriver
-- Tiny flathead screwdriver
-- Philips head screwdriver (magnetic optional, but will help)
-- Door upholstery removal tool (optional but worth it. ~$6 at auto parts store.)
-- Paper & pen for screw retention sketch

(Note, my tiny screwdriver has duct tape on the tip to protect the car's hardware)

Special Note for screw removals:
I find it’s often easy to lose track of screws, or remember which screw goes where. I recommend using your pen & paper to draw a sketch of the door and handle area, showing the screw locations. Then, when you remove each screw, pierce the paper with the screw near the sketched location. Here is mine, to show you what I mean:

--End of first post--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heated Seats ~ Door Panel Removal ~ Int Door Handle Swap ~ Move Cruise ~ Dash USB/Audio
T-Only Center Caps ~ In-Dash Garage Open ~ Horn Swap ~ CF Hood Prop ~ Trunk Fire Ext ~ Fan Resistor

Last edited by Stimpy2301; 12-29-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2007, 03:19 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Stimpy2301 is just really niceStimpy2301 is just really niceStimpy2301 is just really niceStimpy2301 is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
DIY: Interior Door Handle (Latch/Lock Assembly) Replacement

Door Panel Removal Procedure:

1) Remove (2) screws & plastic bushings near front of door, above speaker.

2) Remove (3) caps covering screws along back edge of door, by prying them out with the tiny flathead screwdriver. Remove (3) screws & plastic bushings.

3) Remove grip handle using flathead screwdriver. Pry the grip near the small cutouts; prying near the bottom with another screwdriver will help. Grip handle will pop off.

4) Remove (2) screws holding latch handle backing.

5) Remove latch handle backing -- pull latch handle open and slide backing off

6) Remove (2) screws under grip handle (magnetic tip will help pull these out once loose)

7) Remove window switch plate by prying up around the edges with flathead screwdriver. (Held in with plastic and metal tabs, and will pop out once loose.) Disconnect window switch wire plug (and mirror wire plug, if driver’s side).

8 ) Remove tweeter triangle by simply pulling it off. (Held on by two fixed plastic pegs at the top and forward corners.) Disconnect tweeter wire plug.

9) Once all the screws have been removed, the door panel is now held on by only five plastic pegs along the bottom edge. Looking along the bottom edge, you will see a slight opening between the panel and the door:

Inside this opening, you’ll see two bolt heads, and somewhere in between a light colored sliver – this is the edge of a plastic peg.

Using the upholstery removal tool, center the teeth around this peg and pry towards the panel. This will properly pop out the peg without breaking it. (If you don't have the upholstery tool, you can probably use the flathead screwdriver or pulling with your fingers -- all at your own risk! I recommend the proper tool.)

If you’re lucky, the adjacent pegs will pop out too … if not, now you’ve got enough opening to use the upholstery removal too to pry them too. The pegs will stay attached to the panel side.

10) Remove the panel by pulling the bottom edge away from the door and lifting the whole panel up. Disconnect wire plug for light (and for trunk release if drivers side).

Note the locations of the (5) plastic pegs.

11) You may have plastic sheeting stuck to the door with some black adhesive. To access the area around the latch handle assembly, pull back the plastic with quick hard yanks. Do not pull it slowly or try to peel it, this will only tear the adhesive or the plastic and make it messy. Quick yanks will pull the whole adhesive strip up. It will remain tacky enough to re-seat later.

-- End of second post --

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
Heated Seats ~ Door Panel Removal ~ Int Door Handle Swap ~ Move Cruise ~ Dash USB/Audio
T-Only Center Caps ~ In-Dash Garage Open ~ Horn Swap ~ CF Hood Prop ~ Trunk Fire Ext ~ Fan Resistor

Last edited by Stimpy2301; 12-29-2007 at 05:43 PM.
#3 Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)
DIY: Interior Door Handle (Latch/Lock Assembly) Replacement

Latch Handle Replacement:

Now you have full access to the latch handle hardware:

You will see the wires, cables, & clips attached to the lock & latch mechanisms. I will use the following terminology in the replacement steps:

(Note, the clips on the drivers side are pink, passenger side are blue.)

12) Pry the clip off the cable end, with your tiny flathead screwdriver, to rotate the clip towards you.

13) Pop the cable harness out of the latch handle assembly.

14) Pull the cable end tip out of the front of the clip.

15) Repeat Steps 12-14 for the other cable.

16) Remove screw , which fastens latch handle assembly to the door.

17) Slide handle assembly forward to disengage the three plastic hooks on its back side. Remove handle assembly.

18 ) Install new handle assembly , by pushing it in place and sliding it back to engage the three hooks.

19) Install screw to fasten assembly to the door.

20) Insert cable end tip into plastic clip.

21) Snap cable harness into assembly.

22) Rotate clip to snap onto cable end.

23) Repeat steps 20-22 for other cable.

24) Test lock and handle for functionality!

Latch handle replacement complete.

Door Panel Reinstallation Procedure:

25) Re-seat any plastic sheeting you’ve pulled up, by simply pushing the adhesive strip back into place.

26) Connect wire plug for light (and for trunk release if drivers side).

27) Re-seat door panel along top edge first, then gently push bottom edge to engage the plastic pegs. You should hear them snap in.

28 ) Connect tweeter wire plug; install tweeter triangle by engaging its two fixed plastic pegs and pushing it on.

29) Connect window switch wire plug (and mirror wire plug if driver’s side), and install switch plate by simply pushing it in, snapping it into place.

30) Install (2) screws under grip handle.

31) Install latch handle backing and its (2) screws.

32) Install grip by snapping it into place.

33) Install (3) screws, bushings, & caps along back edge of door.

34) Install (2) screws & bushings near front of door, above speaker.

--- End of DIY: Interior Door Handle (Latch/Lock Assembly) Replacement ---

Stimpy2301's DIYs:

Last edited by Stimpy2301; 12-29-2007 at 05:52 PM.
#4 Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

wojoboy
Re: DIY: Interior Door Handle (Latch/Lock Assembly) Replacement

awesome, im glad to hear this. Cant wait to see them
#5 Old 12-29-2007, 04:54 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

j0n5m17h is an unknown quantity at this point

nice work, this should be very helpful for alot of people, including me soon, who are buying the silver handles and latches.

Actual Tiburon may vary.
#6 Old 12-29-2007, 06:17 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

j0n5m17h is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice, ill keep my eye on it when i need it

Actual Tiburon may vary.
#7 Old 12-30-2007, 09:25 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
solacevip is an unknown quantity at this point

Sweet DIY. I'm expecting my handles in the mail and was wondering how I would do this. Gosh....Pull apart the whole door huh?

18" VELOSTER RIMS, INJEN SRI, ARK STS & ANTENNA, MOMO SHIFT KNOB & PEDALS, REDLINE BOOT, ARK FRONT& REAR STRUT BARS, KJB SHIFTER & BASE BUSHINGS, RICKNA'S FOG KIT, RED OUT TAILS, TUSCANI DOOR SILLS, EXOS DRESS UP ITEMS, PASSENGER CUP HOLDER, TUSCANI DOOR LIGHT OVERLAYS, TINT, PAINTED CALIPERS, SUNROOF RELAY, PIONEER HEAD UNIT, 10" ALPINE SUB with ALPINE MONO BLOCK AMP, SPOILER
#8 Old 01-08-2008, 09:20 PM
NewTiburon.com God

gunit072487

good diy, i did mine just before this diy was done, too bad it wasnt done before, haha, i didnt have any problem without having any diy. i just hate tearing into stuff i dont know about, haha, i mean its pretty self explanatory and easy to figure out but it is always nice to know that u are doing it the same way as someone else

OH?
MINE IS RED?
AND IT WHINES?
OH!

#9 Old 01-08-2008, 10:33 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit072487 View Post
i just hate tearing into stuff i dont know about, haha, i mean its pretty self explanatory and easy to figure out but it is always nice to know that u are doing it the same way as someone else
Right, that's exactly why I did it. I'd found a few threads that said, "oh yeah it's easy, you just do this..." with a few vague steps. I prefer not diving in until i know what's in the pool, ya know? So I thought I'd try to help out those who hadn't done it yet.

Sorry the timing wasn't so good for you! At least it'll work out for solacevip. Solace, there have been a few folks who claim to be able to do it without removing the door panel. It might be possible, but it could be a tight squeeze for your hands, your tools, and/or your hardware. Pulling the door panel's really not as bad as it sounds. You can try without pulling it, but if it doesn't work, at least you know what you'll have to do!

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
#10 Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 PM

I'm gonna do it using your DYI. I'm just waiting for the weather to get better as I my garage isn't big enough to allow me to have the doors open wide enough to work. I also need to get my hands on the special tool. Unfortunately, the handles are sitting in a corner in my room.

18" VELOSTER RIMS, INJEN SRI, ARK STS & ANTENNA, MOMO SHIFT KNOB & PEDALS, REDLINE BOOT, ARK FRONT& REAR STRUT BARS, KJB SHIFTER & BASE BUSHINGS, RICKNA'S FOG KIT, RED OUT TAILS, TUSCANI DOOR SILLS, EXOS DRESS UP ITEMS, PASSENGER CUP HOLDER, TUSCANI DOOR LIGHT OVERLAYS, TINT, PAINTED CALIPERS, SUNROOF RELAY, PIONEER HEAD UNIT, 10" ALPINE SUB with ALPINE MONO BLOCK AMP, SPOILER
#11 Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

cubanboy2112 will become famous soon enough

very nice now if i every wanted to this i know where to know

ook i know this is this going to be but how can i start my own forum/post going im a NTsupporter but i've never mad a post or forum how the heck can i do one? can u please help?

Last edited by cubanboy2112; 01-08-2008 at 11:54 PM.
#12 Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanboy2112 View Post

ook i know this is this going to be but how can i start my own forum/post going im a NTsupporter but i've never mad a post or forum how the heck can i do one? can u please help?
You just find the right forum list by topic (for example, the DIY topics), and just above the table which says, "Threads in Forum: Do It Yourself" (or whatever category you're in), there will be a button shaped like a Tib that says "New Thread" on it. Just click that.

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
#13 Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solacevip View Post
I'm gonna do it using your DYI. I'm just waiting for the weather to get better as I my garage isn't big enough to allow me to have the doors open wide enough to work. I also need to get my hands on the special tool. Unfortunately, the handles are sitting in a corner in my room.
Great! Looks like you may be the first person to actually use it, so please let me know how it works out, and if there's anything I should make clearer or change or whatever.

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
#14 Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 AM
EL NINJA MODERADOR

YoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another levelYoYo is on another level

Very nice added to the all DIY post ***Common DIY URL Links are here***

#15 Old 05-31-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy2301 View Post
Great! Looks like you may be the first person to actually use it, so please let me know how it works out, and if there's anything I should make clearer or change or whatever.
Big news...I'm doing this...this weekend!

#16 Old 05-31-2008, 07:20 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Big news...I'm doing this...this weekend!

lol, took ya long enough! let me know how it goes.

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
#17 Old 06-02-2008, 09:40 PM

Everything went extremely well.

Your DIY was helpful and descriptive. The only thing I did differently was that I did not need to use the upholstery tool. I bought one, but managed to put my fingers in the gap and pull the door panel off without a problem.

I also managed to not remove the plastic sheeting. There was enough space where the door latch was to remove the screw and then slide the latch mechanism off and put the new one on.

Unfortunately....I have an 06 Tib so the silver of my door grabs don't match the latches. I'll fix that soon enough.

Great DIY!

#18 Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Everything went extremely well.

Your DIY was helpful and descriptive. The only thing I did differently was that I did not need to use the upholstery tool. I bought one, but managed to put my fingers in the gap and pull the door panel off without a problem.

I also managed to not remove the plastic sheeting. There was enough space where the door latch was to remove the screw and then slide the latch mechanism off and put the new one on.

Unfortunately....I have an 06 Tib so the silver of my door grabs don't match the latches. I'll fix that soon enough.

Great DIY!

Ok, fantastic! I'm glad it helped out.

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
#19 Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
White Sox Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
gotalovethechode

im waiting for my new silver handles F/L as we speak, im also planning on putting chrome handles in, anyone seen any in elec. red 05-06? pm if u have. thanks.

great DIY this will help should i decide to do it on my own.
#20 Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 PM

I have the F/L1 door grabs...

Seems I want the F/L2 door grabs to match my latches... The F/L2 is more gunmetal in colour.

This leaves me with a center console that is F/L1 in colour. I have the electronic air conditioning.....so the ones with the dials won't help me.

#21 Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Still lurks on occasion

CableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another level

Damn Andy......if there was an award for the BEST written DIY on NT, with the most effort put into it; you'd get the prize for sure!

Just an excellent write up that will no doubt help some people on here.

Repped accordingly.

Wagtoda3rd: "Umm wheres the guy who gave me the majority of my infractions?"
#22 Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 AM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableTec View Post
Damn Andy......if there was an award for the BEST written DIY on NT, with the most effort put into it; you'd get the prize for sure!

Just an excellent write up that will no doubt help some people on here.

Repped accordingly.

Nice, thanks Brad! (I guess it helps that it's sort of what I do for a living -- except it's for space shuttle repair, not Tiburon mods! lol)

But ultimately, all I wanted was to give back to the community, since it's helped me so much along the way too!

Thanks again.

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
#23 Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Hurdler5280

Awesome DIY. Finally put them in. Thanks man.

Going back to stock
Someone buy my Stage IV, Ark Exhaust, mafterburner, new SFR headers with Jet hot coat and more!!.
#24 Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurdler5280 View Post
Awesome DIY. Finally put them in. Thanks man.
Fantastic! You're very welcome.

Stimpy2301's DIYs:
#25 Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

executioner is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy2301 View Post
Fantastic! You're very welcome.
Great DIY installed mine very easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.