LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 02-25-2011, 07:28 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ExiledGT will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Reupholstering Seats

This will be my first DIY, hope you enjoy.
HOW TO:
Reupholstering the inserts of your factory seat covers

This works for both leathers and clothe seat covers.

There are several items you will need to complete this DIY.
1. The fabric you want to replace the inserts with (Naugahyde, Spralding Faux Leather, etc.)
2. Heavy duty sewing machine, if you don’t have one ask your mom, grandma, or make friends with the little old lady down the street.
3. Leather needles.
4. Wax thread or the strongest thread you can find.
5. Fabric sheers
6. Seam ripper
7. Tape
8. Pliers, or something to grip and remove the old thread after it has been cut.
9. 12mm ratchet
10. Adequate lighting

-There are several steps involved in this process-
A. Remove the seats from the car.
B. Disassemble the seats and Remove the covers.
C. Remove the seat inserts
D. Replace or cover the inserts with the fabric you have purchased.
E. Sew all pieces back together.
F. Recover the seats with the newly fashioned seat covers.
G. Put the seat back together.
H. Crack open a beer(s) and admire your accomplishment, then return seats to car and go on with your life.
First off I want to apologize beforehand about the picture quality
They are not the greatest, not even close
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A. Remove the seats from the car: Now that we are ready to start remove the seats from the car, via removing the 8 bolts holding the sliders in place, 4 from each seat. Be sure the car is OFF and disconnect the seat-belt and airbag connections beneath the seats before you pull them out.
(Sorry no picture for this step)

B. Disassemble the seats and remove the covers: It doesn’t matter which piece you want to work on first, the backrest or the bottom cushion. Either way, pop off the rear plastic piece, don’t worry about breaking anything – just give it a good tug. Next remove the headrest- squeeze the adjustment button and pull it up and out. Now take the 12mm ratchet and unbolt the bottom cushion. On both the back and bottom cushion release all the clips, on the fronts pull off the velcro and untwist the metal rings to remove the seat covers from the seat cushions. The backrest needs some addition attention for the top lever and the headrest clips, those clips are a PITA! The lever pieces just pop right off, the headrest clips need pliers and a hammer or something. I used the grip end of my ratchet and gave them both a good smack till they popped out. This may take some….finesse.

C. Remove the seat inserts: Use the seam ripper and cut the stitches along the seams around the seat inserts. This is a patience game, best to have some music in the background.

D. Replace or cover the seat inserts with the fabric you have purchased: Now that you have the inserts removed from the covers, lay them on the fabric you want to use to cover/replace them. Next, using the inserts as a pattern just cut out around them. After this point you are ready to make your new pattern. What I did was place the new fabric over the old insert and taped along the original stitch so I could use it as a guide. Note: do not go over the original line as it will weaken the material; also watch that you do not have bubbles between stitches. After you have both back and bottom inserts finished you are ready to put everything back together.

E. Sew all the pieces back together: Align just as they were originally and start putting them back together, I suggest you stitch the top and bottom portions of each piece first as the sides are thicker material and a bit trickier to do properly.

F. Recover the seats with your newly fashioned seat covers: Now that everything is finished and your newly fashioned covers are looking snazzy, put them back on the seat cushions. See previous removal instructions and work backwards.

G. Put the seats back together: See previous seat disassembly instructions and work backwards. Note: Reassembly is much easier and quicker then disassembly.

H. Return the seats to the car: By this time you are a Master Construction Genius and should have no problems putting the seats back in the car. However, you can always look back at the seat removal instructions for reassurance.
I hope you all enjoyed this DIY and if you have an questions or comments you know what to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ExiledGT; 02-25-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Hater With No Friends

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level
Re: DIY: reupholstering your seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo13TIB View Post
Nice nails, Chris.

Good DIY, except I assume you didn't DIY... unless those are your nails. lol

Mr Köppen is so like the fat woman full of vitality. ! !
#3 Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM

(Thread Starter)

lol my roommate did help so I could take pictures. She stood over me watching like a hawk, she is overprotective with her sewing machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#4 Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Hidden Innuendo Mod

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
caconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud of

Quote:
lol my roommate did help so I could take pictures. She stood over me watching like a hawk, she is overprotective with her sewing machine.

Ya I call my parents roommates too lol

Very nice DIY. Might have to try it if I can get a sewing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caconman424
I search my user-name for threads that I havent replied to, just to see who is talking about me
JP for President 2012!!
#5 Old 02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
dauntless is an unknown quantity at this point

can't say i ever tried the sewing machine lol but looks nice. awesome diy
#6 Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
NewTiburon.com God

TuscaniGTFL has a spectacular aura aboutTuscaniGTFL has a spectacular aura about

Wow very nice man. You make it look so easy.. I would probably have to buy new seats cause I would mess them up lol. But again, very nice DIY

The old Tib, 03 GT 6-speed (we all know the clutch problems that had lol)

On the lookout for a new tib...maybe...
#7 Old 02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

Doomsday Postcard is an unknown quantity at this point

all that and you didn't even break a nail! kudos to you...
#8 Old 02-25-2011, 07:18 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Postcard View Post
all that and you didn't even break a nail! kudos to you...
Lol yea thats called skill ;-) you can't learn that

#9 Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Very nice British bloke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
the dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to behold

this is actually a 10/10 very good guide.god damn it man stop stealing my work lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian fulcher
"dupleman headrests add no wheel hp but it gives you something to look at when banging ugly chicks in the front seat"
Owner of the 2010 UKHCC CAR OF THE YEAR
Newtiburon.com mini sponsor of the year 2010 and 2011
Newtiburon.com product of the year 2010-SIII seats
HRH QUEEN ELIZABETH'S ROYAL ENVOY ASSIGNED TO EDUCATE YANKS ON NEWTIBURON.COM
#10 Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Hater With No Friends

Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dupleman View Post
this is actually a 10/10 very good guide.god damn it man stop stealing my work lol
Haha, I was also going to say something to this effect, but decided to leave it up to you.

Mr Köppen is so like the fat woman full of vitality. ! !
#11 Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of

just to be clear. men dont sew, men tailor lmao

Awesome diy man looks great

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
Isnt it amazing how quickly everyone can turn against you
#12 Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Haha thank you very much, it means a lot reading this from you. :-D

And you have nothing to fear, ido not plan on stealing any work from you sir!
Note: anyone with any amount of hesitation, please leave this to the professionals

#13 Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 AM

(Thread Starter)

I was referring to professionals like you, i just got lucky and it came out halfway decent.

I have been here for a couple of years and thought i finally found a way to contribute something constructive and actually worth while.

#14 Old 02-26-2011, 04:23 AM
Very nice British bloke

the dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to beholdthe dupleman is a splendid one to behold

nah thats not luck there is a certain amount of skill required and you did very well indeed.luck doesnt come into a good job.

Quote:
"dupleman headrests add no wheel hp but it gives you something to look at when banging ugly chicks in the front seat"
#15 Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Luke: NT's Skywalker

GeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another level
Garage
Re: DIY: Reupholstering Seats

Approved and moved.

Good write-up!

- Rota/Ark/UltraRacing/Moog/NGM/G-Games/Injen/KJBMotorsports/Mishimoto/Ingalls/Zefiro/Fujita/GT Tech/Tomato A&P/FFF/Midnight Wolf/ZMR/RRM/Fatmat/NRG/MOMO/RAYS/WORK/Greddy/Pioneer/Infinity/Streetwires/Falken/Aerocatch/EXLED/Glowshift/ATI/Optima/EXOS/SFR/Kickxtc/EvasiveMotorsports/Diode Dynamics/Wilwood

2011 4.6L Titanium Hyundai Genesis
#16 Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Very nice British bloke

can i just add now is the time you should be fitting your heated seat pads too.no point doing this and not fitting them if its something you want.Its always worth considering

Quote:
#17 Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 AM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
can i just add now is the time you should be fitting your heated seat pads too.no point doing this and not fitting them if its something you want.Its always worth considering
Absolutely, that is one thing I miss from my last car- the heated seats. I want to incorporate those pads, as well as finding a few massage pads....could be a lethal combination but it would be awesome for the time prior to being lulled to sleep and running into a tree.

#18 Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Very nice British bloke

lol.............have a blow up doll as your airbag and get one final fling.........trouble is airbags deflate too quickly......i wonder if thats where the saying "going down on me" comes from.....anyway swiftly moving on.....if you do decide to fit them you should have no trouble once you taken them apart once its easy

Quote:
#19 Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Very nice British bloke

given you plus rep too think you've done superbly

Quote:
#20 Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 AM

(Thread Starter)

Thank you very much :-) so in all seriousness, of they are wired as i am pretty sure they are- do you think it would be possible to buy a massaging chair cushion thing and tear the massaging units out and rid them up in our seats?

How i would imagine a basic cheap massage pad being just a few vibrating units strung together with a control switch at the end of the strand....i think this is something i will look into next weekend.

#21 Old 02-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Very nice British bloke

Quote:
Thank you very much :-) so in all seriousness, of they are wired as i am pretty sure they are- do you think it would be possible to buy a massaging chair cushion thing and tear the massaging units out and rid them up in our seats?

How i would imagine a basic cheap massage pad being just a few vibrating units strung together with a control switch at the end of the strand....i think this is something i will look into next weekend.
yes i would say it is deffo not beyond the realms of possibility

Quote:
#22 Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Very nice British bloke

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Back-Seat-...item5adf3a3afe

question is....would it make your seat uncomfortable

Quote:
#23 Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 AM

(Thread Starter)

Actually what i was thinking about was one of those full back pads for a house chair then harvesting the massage balls or whatever shape units are inside the pad- then carving out holes in the padding of the seats so that the units would sit flush in the holes and so they wouldn't be noticeable unless activated.

#24 Old 02-26-2011, 08:22 AM

(Thread Starter)

Something like this and harvest the massaging balls and carve out some holes in the yellow cushion of the seats and drop them in.

#25 Old 02-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Very nice British bloke

hmmmm......not sure

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.