DIY: Door Lock Actuator/Latch Assembly Replacement - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to beholdItaliaTib2k3 is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Door Lock Actuator/Latch Assembly Replacement

DOOR LOCK/ACTUATOR REPLACEMENT

Finally fixed my door lock by replacing the actuator/latch assembly. it's not too hard to do, just follow along and you'll get it no problem. Send a PM to rivum if you have questions

First, you need to remove the trim pieces.
Start with the door handle bar. You need to pry it away by putting a flathead screwdriver in the slot shown below, and then prying away from there. Work your way around the piece with the screwdriver and it should pop off.

Then you need to unscrew the door handle trim. Unscrew the two screws in the pic below.

Now unscrew the two screws in the door handle bar and remove

Now take off the tweeter from the top of the door. It is attached by tabs, so insert a screwdriver behind the piece and pull it away from the frame. Then disconnect the wire harness.

Next, unscrew the 2 screws from the front of the panel

Now take off the three screws from the back of the panel. You'll see them in the diagram below. they have little caps on them, which need to be removed first. The caps are only the inner circle - pry that away with a flathead screwdriver, and the screws will be exposed. Remove all three.

After that, you will be able to take the trim panel off. Pull the panel away from the door frame from the two sides and the bottom. You will then be able to lift the frame up and away from the top of the door.
Be careful of the wire harnesses that are attached. there will be three connected to the window controls and one that connects the door light. Disconnect all 4 harnesses and you will then be able to fully remove the panel. You will now be left with something that looks like this:

Pull away the plastic from the top left corner. It is attached with some kind of silicone. You don't need to remove it all--only enough to get at the inside of the door at the left side.

The next step is to disconnect the two rods from the lock. You will have to look up inside the door and you'll see where they are connected at the top. Pull away the plastic locking clip from each rod and you should be able to pull the rods out from the place they're attached to.

Now unscrew the actuator/latch assembly from the door frame. (There are 3 bolts).

You should now be able to remove the latch/actuator assembly. Make sure that you disconnect the wire harness from the bottom.

Now you need to open up the plastic housing covering the latch/actuator assembly. There are 3 small screws--two on one side and 1 on the other. Once those are off, the top separate pieces of the housing will come off (one will have to be manouevered around the rods).

You can now disconnect the cables attaching the inside door handle and lock switch. They will have plastic locking clips attaching them--pull that away from the connection and you should be able to remove the cable end.

Now reattach the cables to your new actuator/latch assembly. Close up your door trim and you're all set!

Here's my old, corroded actuator/latch. Yay for Hyundai quality!

Special thanks to rivum for doing this DIY write-up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Premiere Korean Product Supplier

Seibon | M&S Carart | Injen | Luxon | VIS | GT Tech
AEM | RoadRace | ARK | Road Runs | Concepto | Zefiro

E-mail:
/ AIM: ImportSharkInfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2006, 11:26 AM
NT's Medical Student

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
yellowtibby
Re: DIY: Door Lock Actuator/Latch Assembly replacement

wow awesome. I was really suprised I didn't see this DIY sooner since so many people where having problems with their door actuators. When mine poops out i will definitely use this thread. Thanks

2004 Hyundai Tiburon SE V6 6 speed.
Alpine NGM Stage 2 Supercharged!!! 260 WHP

NT.com's Medical Student
#3 Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

rivum is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i thought someone would have done one up before too, but i didn't find one.
i'd be interested to know how many people have had the problem, and of those, how many have a) had it fixed under warranty, b) have fixed themselves, or c) have done nothing about it and are dealing with the problem in some way.
anyone that's had the problem, chime in and let me know, as i'd like to soon contact hyundai about refunding me the time and money it cost me to repair this, as i think it should be a recall, since it's a significant safety issue.

if anyone has any questions at all about any of this, let me know and i'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

rivum

#4 Old 05-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Still lurks on occasion

CableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another levelCableTec is on another level

Excellent DIY.......really nice to have! Great job fellas.

Wagtoda3rd: "Umm wheres the guy who gave me the majority of my infractions?"
#5 Old 05-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Banned

Mines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of light

there's a thread with a whole bunch of us saying our doors lock on their own...which im assuming is why this diy is here now....
#6 Old 05-02-2006, 01:45 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

this DIY is here because I had a problem with my door lock being stuck in the locked position, so i replaced the actuator, and the problem was solved.
i'm sure replacing the actuator would solve your problem too, as your actuator is probably in the early-mid stages of crapping out

rivum

#7 Old 05-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Banned

Mines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of lightMines Better is a glorious beacon of light

...like i said....

http://newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70996

btw, how much does a new actuator cost?
#8 Old 05-02-2006, 04:15 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

i would think a new actuator would fix that problem
i paid about ~$95 plus shipping.
i got it through johns03tib on this thread - http://newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41328

rivum

#9 Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

mike688

Got both (LH & RH) actuators shipped from Korea, $49 each. Definitely will use this thread as guidance. Thanks!!
#10 Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

fegre is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced my passenger side actuator about 6 months ago. But I think the driver side is now going. My doors started locking on there own again while I drive. I think I'll wait a bit and see which lock gets hard to move. That second symptom should start withing a week or two.

#11 Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
zumac99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Before doing this DIY, my doors keep on locking a few seconds after unlocking it with remote or door switch. After buying new LH and RH actuators on ebay and using this DIY, the problem is solved! This DIY saved me lotsa money which my dealer was asking 700+ for the parts and labor. Thanks alot!

PEACE
#12 Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

DrftPretty is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill be doing this later tonight. Thanks!

Audi A4- Blah Blah Blah Blah Euro skank.

#13 Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

kbaum84 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes now my car can lock! haha
#14 Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

schroeder is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been dealing with my passenger side actuator not unlocking for the last couple years. I can usually open it with a key after pushing the unlock button on the remote. Sometime the unlock button would work but within the last couple months I always had to revert to using the key and sometimes that wouldn't work. I finally got tired of dealing with the problem and ordered an actuator off of Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_3225wt_958 paying just under $43 with shipping. I'm hoping to tackle this DIY today if time allows it. I printed out the step by step process and will hopefully also try to push out a few dents on the door that *******s with shopping carts created. No matter how far away I park from idiots they still manage to ding my doors with something. Once again New Tiburon has saved me tons of money by having this DIY posted.
THANKS
#15 Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

schroeder is an unknown quantity at this point

After my futile attempt to do this simple DIY, and not paying attention to what cables went where, and having all kinds of problems that I have finally fixed, I thought I'd post a couple of close up photos of the acutator and the cables in case someone else is as absent minded as me and foolishly puts a cable in the wrong slot... which will create all kinds of problem once you close the door.
Anyway here's some more helpful pics:

#16 Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Hayesimus will become famous soon enough

Thanks so much for this! I used this to replace my inside door handle!
#17 Old 03-28-2010, 05:10 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Apex is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the excellent guide, I just replaced my actuator and fixed a snapped cable using this DIY
#18 Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

compendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these partscompendium is infamous around these parts

great write up!! i need to order the passenger side and get it done asap! dont want people breaking in my tib
#19 Old 04-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Keep it tight Do it Right

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
NoSloppy

How do you suggest I do this since the door is stuck in the locked position?! can't get the inside door panel off until I can open the door DOH!

-------------- >> 2003 Tiburon GT V6 <<
#20 Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Boarders84

I have the problem with my pass door in the locked position. There is 2 ways I get around this since the alarm or using the driver side sync to unlock it. 1) outside the pass door, use your key and turn the crap out of the lock to the unlock position holding it and pulling the door handle to open the door. Make sure the alarm is off. 2) using brute strength, pull the lock switch to the unlock position inside the car, and pull the handle to open the door.
Like I said this is what i've been doing, but I just got a new actuator today and about to install it with this DIY
Hope it helps you while you replace yours.
#21 Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Keep it tight Do it Right

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
NoSloppy

#1 worked - thanks!
The swap is pretty easy - just don't forget that to get the rod out of the white clip, pull down on the rod or pull the handle to the open position, then pull the nipple through the clip.

-------------- >> 2003 Tiburon GT V6 <<
#22 Old 05-30-2010, 11:23 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

swivtib03 is an unknown quantity at this point

very helpful diy got this done in under 45 mins only to find out after i got passenger side done i think my drivers side is going now yay shoulda bought both sides lol
#23 Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

stevedimebag is an unknown quantity at this point

great DIY - now just got the passenger side to do tomorrow
#24 Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

mwgilbert is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to this forum and it has already paid dividends. This DIY was so helpful, I was able to replace the door actuator in about 30 min.
#25 Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Delecroix is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome DIY, took me about an hour to screw around with it. Found out why my passenger side door wouldn't respond to my keyless entry, idiot before me cut the damned wires running to the actuator and to the passenger side red plate in the bottom of the door.

Gotta order a new cable for my driver side and solder up the passenger side to see if that'll hopefully fix my issue.

2003 5Spd 2.7L V6
Current Mods: Enkei GW8 17" rims w/ red trim, AEM SRI, Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion spark plugs, Bosch Magneto ignition wires, slit turn signals, Ralco STS, Greddy Evo2 exhaust
Soon to come: SSA V2 headers & Crower Cams
Future Mods: Red AE headlights w/ 4300K HID, M&S Carart Warrior wide body kit, black/red pearlescent paint, shaved antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.