DIY: __*** BCM Turn Signal Fix ***__ - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Coegi vos via~

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
optimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another level
(Thread Starter)
__*** BCM Turn Signal Fix ***__

**Who needs this DIY?**

For those people who are having erratic problems with their turn-signals--whether it be the left blinkers, right blinkers, or both.

Some symptoms you might experience that indicate a problem with the BCM turn-signal relay:

(1) When you use your right blinkers, the blinkers get stuck to the "On" position and doesn't blink.

(2) When you use your left blinkers, the blinkers get stuck to the "On" position and doesn't blink.

(3) When using your blinkers, your blinkers' clicking rate starts off normally then begins to blink faster and you've already tried installing new turn-signal light bulbs.

(4) Your blinker--left or right--blinks faster than the OEM rate. This can happen either all the time or sporadically.

(5) When you lock down your car with your keyless remote, the turn signal lights blink once then DON'T turn off but remains stuck on. This may occur every time or once in a while.

(6) The blinker's clicking sound level, on one side only or both sides, has become quieter than the OEM sound level.

**What you can do about this problem.**

(1) Go to the dealer/junkyard and buy a new BCM module. At the dealer, the price range seems to be between $750 to $1300. Buying a used BCM module from the junkyard, obviously, will be cheaper if you can find one in good condition. With a junkyard, though, it's a hit-or-miss.

When you install a BCM, you'll have to have the dealer reprogram your keyless remote/alarm to the new BCM. This service costs ~$50.00.

At my Hyundai dealer where I have a hook-up with the parts manager, I was quoted $540 flat for the BCM module. So if there is anyone who doesn't want to go through the trouble of doing the DIY but want to buy a brand-new BCM module for a good price, PM me/contact me and I'll hook you up.

(2) Do the DIY outlined below. It is a pain in the butt and it's really awkward taking out the BCM module, but it's well worth it since you save HUNDREDS of dollars.

**DIY Parts Needed**

(1) Screwdriver
(2) 10-mm socket & ratchet
(3) Pliers (optional. It will help to have a plier if you run into some stubborn connectors that won't come loose easily. I had to use the plier for one of the BCM connectors).
(4) If you decide to desolder the old relay yourself and solder in the new one, then you'll need a soldering iron and/or a desoldering iron, desoldering bulb and/or braid, and solder.

If you DON'T want to do the soldering work yourself, like me, then you can just take off the BCM module from your car and take it to a professional for the installation of the relay. In my case, I went to a local mom-and-pop TV/radio repair shop and got the relay soldered on for only $10.00 flat. During one of my price-quote hunting sprees, I got a quote from a speaker shop and they wanted $75.00!! Rip-off!!

(5) Replacement BCM turn-signal relay. You can buy one from Mouser electronics. It's only like ~$3.50. The item number is: NEC EP2-3N1ST. Here is a couple picture of the relay.

And here is the link to Mouser's site where you can order the replacement relay:
http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine....1ST+&N=1323038

**Installation Steps**

[1] Disconnect your negative battery terminal. 10-mm wrench is used.

[2] Pull out the plastic fuse cover.

[3] Remove the two screws that hold down the plastic cover underneath the steering wheel then pull off the cover.

With the cover off, it will look like this:

[4] Remove the three 10-mm bolts and one 10-mm nut that holds down the metal knee protection brace.

With knee brace off, it will look like this.

[5] Now, take off all six connectors on the front of the BCM box.

Once all off, it will look like this.

[6] Now, take off the 2 10-mm bolts and 1 screw that hold down the BCM box as indicated in the picture below.

[7] The BCM box is now loose but it won't come off yet because some connectors behind the BCM box is still holding on to it. To reach those connectors, you first slide out the BCM box by moving/maneuvering the BCM box around until you slide it off the two slots.

[8] Once you got the BCM box free from its slots and you have pulled it out, now you can get to removing the 6 connectors on the back of the BCM box.

[9] Once all the connectors on the front and back of the BCM box has been pulled out, the BCM box is now free from the car. The next step is to pull out all the fuses on the front of the BCM box as well as all the relays on the back of the BCM box.

Here are all the fuses that you need to take off on the front of the BCM box.

Here are all the relays that you need to take off on the backside of the BCM box.

[10] With all the fuses and relays pulled off the BCM box, you can now pry the lid open by undoing the clips that hold the BCM box together.

[11] Here is a picture of the BCM box open with the turn-signal relay marked for you. If you want to desolder out the relay yourself, then you'll have to pull out the PCB, turn it over, then desolder the joints behind the turn-signal relay. After that, you plug in the new replacement relay and solder the joints for a tight connection.

In my case, I decided to have a professional solder in my new replacement relay. He charged me $10.00 flat but I ended up giving him a $5.00 tip for a job well-done.

Here is a picture of my BCM PCB with the new relay installed.

[12] Now, you just have to put everything back in reverse order. Thankfully, putting the BCM box back in its place is much easier and less time-consuming than taking it out. At least, that was how it was for me as a couple of connectors on the BCM box were really, really stubborn and wouldn't pull out unless I used a plier and a large flat-tip screwdriver. My finger tips were KILLING me from pulling out all those connectors.

[13] With the BCM box, all of its connectors, knee brace, plastic trim, and fuse cover all neatly placed back, reconnect your negative battery terminal and start up your engine.

If this relay replacement fixed your turn-signal-related ailments, then AWESOME!! You just saved hundreds of dollars!!

If you're still having turn-signal-related problems, then you just might have to buy a BCM module.

Good luck!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

=멤버프로파일:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

=Album:

++++++++++
++++++++++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2007, 07:55 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
tib on konigs is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: BCM Turn Signal Fix

whats this diy supposed to do?
#3 Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Former CIO

bms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tib on konigs View Post
whats this diy supposed to do?

if ur turn signal is frozen on, this is the fix w/o having to pay for a new bcm.

I am no longer an admin. Please do not PM me with site issues. Use the report post button.
#4 Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
slow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of lightslow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of lightslow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of lightslow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of lightslow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for doing that I have been turning right for the last week and a half.
#5 Old 04-21-2007, 03:02 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

rlaxogus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

woot!! thx bro!
saved me $550!!
cost me 50bux for tools and relay
now just to wait for the 26th to come around << when i'll recieve the relay
so i can try this myself! yay thanks again

Why i have a Tiburon...

R.I.P. 00 Elantra
#6 Old 04-21-2007, 03:04 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow 2K2GT View Post
Thanks for doing that I have been turning right for the last week and a half.
hahaha

mine is left too - is it commonly left for everyone else too i wonder?

hope this issue is better on the 05+ but i guess it hasn't been out long enough to get bugged yet huh~

Why i have a Tiburon...

R.I.P. 00 Elantra
#7 Old 04-28-2007, 08:33 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Tibzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms231 View Post
no problem. like my user title says, i am here to help. even if that means staying up super late to get things done. i am going to have this in PDF as well. i gotta run to work now though. it will be up later tonight.
When I first bought my car, they detailed everything for me and had it ready, when I arrive and they start it. the signal light was doing just as such. They had to order a new BCM and installed it (warranty). I went a few days w/ no signal lights cause I opted to still take the car that day.\

Anybody know what exactly causes this problem ?

08' Civic SI Sedan | i-VTEC | 6 Speed | STS | CF Hood | TB Spacer | P2R Thermal Gaskets | Spoon Catback System | Megan Racing H Brace | M.R. F & R Tie bars | Eibach Lowering Prokit | Mugen Visors | Retrofit 5000k HID | 3000k Fogs/Highbeam |

#8 Old 04-29-2007, 02:03 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibzie View Post
When I first bought my car, they detailed everything for me and had it ready, when I arrive and they start it. the signal light was doing just as such. They had to order a new BCM and installed it (warranty). I went a few days w/ no signal lights cause I opted to still take the car that day.\

Anybody know what exactly causes this problem ?
apparently its the rel2 of the bcm...

Why i have a Tiburon...

R.I.P. 00 Elantra
#9 Old 09-15-2007, 04:15 AM
Vic
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Vic is an unknown quantity at this point

THANK YOU! You saved me heaps of money. My turn signal is working 100% and I can start turning right again. Getting the relay to South Africa was quite a mission but I received great service from the people at Mouser.

Desoldering should best be left to a pro. After hours of frustration an only 4 of the 10 pins desoldered I asked a local tv repair man to take a look and he had the faulty relay removed and the new one fitted in less than 10 minutes. Asked me next to nothing to do the job.

BTW
There are two more Identical relays on the pc board. Do you guys know what they are supposed to do?

VBR
VIc
#10 Old 10-03-2007, 06:33 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2fives is an unknown quantity at this point

So you can't just order a new flasher from Hyundai?? and it's soldered to the friggen circuit board, not just plugged in so this isn't really a user serviceable part??

Mine just started sticking in left turn today.

#11 Old 10-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Former CIO

bms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another level

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fives View Post
So you can't just order a new flasher from Hyundai?? and it's soldered to the friggen circuit board, not just plugged in so this isn't really a user serviceable part??

it isnt the turn signal that is the problem... it is the relay on the bcm that controls the turn signal

I am no longer an admin. Please do not PM me with site issues. Use the report post button.
#12 Old 10-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

NovaResource will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Unfortunately, no, you can't just change it. However, if the car is still under warranty, the BCM will be replaced for free. Mine went about a month ago and I didn't pay a cent to the dealer to fit it. Took them about an hour. Just be sure to bring both keyless entry remotes because they will have to reprogram them to the new BCM and you need both with you to program both.
#13 Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

jsdragonsoul333 has a spectacular aura aboutjsdragonsoul333 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaResource View Post
Unfortunately, no, you can't just change it. However, if the car is still under warranty, the BCM will be replaced for free. Mine went about a month ago and I didn't pay a cent to the dealer to fit it. Took them about an hour. Just be sure to bring both keyless entry remotes because they will have to reprogram them to the new BCM and you need both with you to program both.
So do our cars have a changeable flasher too? Or is this it?

:Moonlit blue 2006 SE
Quote:
"Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. "
#14 Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 AM

If you just do this mod there will be no need to do any reprogramming??

I just ordered mine ($4) after inquiring at my dealer how much a new BCM would be. About $760.

Last edited by 2fives; 10-04-2007 at 01:14 AM.
#15 Old 10-04-2007, 04:48 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

TIB16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I just ordered mine ($4) after inquiring at my dealer how much a new BCM would be. About $760.
i did mine and no reprogramming was needed!
anyway,i tried and repaired the oem relay,because the new one would'nt come here before a month passed from the order. so i said why not .i cut the case of it open and i cleaned the inner contacts with a razor blade.(it had something beetween the contacts that forced them to remain closed so the current would go through all the time).then i checked that they work properly,i glued the case back and put everything together.i got the new relay now,but i am not changing it cause the repaired one still works fine.(3 months now)!!!!

Last edited by TIB16; 10-04-2007 at 05:01 AM.
#16 Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdragonsoul333 View Post
So do our cars have a changeable flasher too? Or is this it?
No, the flasher is soldered to the board. The only way to change it is to replace the whole BCM or re solder the flasher.
#17 Old 10-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIB16 View Post
i did mine and no reprogramming was needed!
anyway,i tried and repaired the oem relay,because the new one would'nt come here before a month passed from the order. so i said why not .i cut the case of it open and i cleaned the inner contacts with a razor blade.(it had something beetween the contacts that forced them to remain closed so the current would go through all the time).then i checked that they work properly,i glued the case back and put everything together.i got the new relay now,but i am not changing it cause the repaired one still works fine.(3 months now)!!!!
There is no reason to do this mod if your car is still under warranty. The delership will replace the entire BCM for FREE. The only reason to do this mod is if the warranty has expired.
#18 Old 10-14-2007, 03:03 PM

I just wanted to to touch on one more thing. I did mine last night and....

1) it worked!!

2)Getting the old one un-soldered from the board was a friggen SOB, took me about 1.5 hrs. You have to be super, super, super careful. You pull to hard on the relay because your impatient and pull some trace of the PCB you might be screwed. I went very careful and used some solder wik and rosin-flux and got the solder completely out of the holes so it would pull off the board easy. Well as good as I could.

3) the part numbers on the old relay don't match the new relay. Don't wory it still works, just an updated part number. The old relay is EP2-3L1T, the new one is EP2-3N1ST.

#19 Old 10-15-2007, 03:54 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quote:
I just wanted to to touch on one more thing. I did mine last night and....

1) it worked!!

2)Getting the old one un-soldered from the board was a friggen SOB, took me about 1.5 hrs. You have to be super, super, super careful. You pull to hard on the relay because your impatient and pull some trace of the PCB you might be screwed. I went very careful and used some solder wik and rosin-flux and got the solder completely out of the holes so it would pull off the board easy. Well as good as I could.

3) the part numbers on the old relay don't match the new relay. Don't wory it still works, just an updated part number. The old relay is EP2-3L1T, the new one is EP2-3N1ST.
i used a de-soldering station i have in my company and it took me 2 min.(i am an electrical engineer)if you have the tools its easy.if you don't it can be a disaster.but you can always take the PCB to a pro to do it for you instead anyway,good job man.(aint that feeling you made it great? )
#20 Old 01-17-2008, 08:03 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

WalaWalah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys .... i got the same problem i tried and it works.

Last edited by GeneralDuke; 01-15-2010 at 12:11 PM.
#21 Old 01-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Vic
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Vic is an unknown quantity at this point

This is four months after I did the DIY and it's still working!
Must be one of the most usefull DIY's on this forum

Thanks again!

VBR
Vic
#22 Old 02-08-2008, 11:02 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

takashi is an unknown quantity at this point

So after about 3.5 hours of messing with this thing, I have just about as much solder removed as I possibly can and this stupid relay still won't detach itself from my over-priced circuit board. I have decided I am doing something wrong and am giving up for now, until I can seek professional help...DOH!
#23 Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 PM
NewTiburon.com God

ozkrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic View Post
This is four months after I did the DIY and it's still working!
Must be one of the most usefull DIY's on this forum

Thanks again!

VBR
Vic

GLAD this diy is still helping people...you have to work the relay out. move it side to side with the soldering iron on the solder and it should work its way out. you have to keep the solder hot. if you dont it will harden up and keep the relay stuck to the board.

#24 Old 02-13-2008, 10:36 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

takashi is an unknown quantity at this point

This DIY is pretty amazing and has probably saved several thousands of dollars by now. After finishing (finally), my right turn signal is now unfrozen and works again...my left blinker, however, does not. It doesn't do anything, not even the indicator on the gauge panel works. I seem to be an expert at breaking one thing while fixing another. Any ideas of what I may have broken? Thanks all.
#25 Old 02-15-2008, 02:12 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

did you mess a lot with the old relay to take it off?cause you might made a damage to the pcb...if not,and hopefully you solder the new one ok,check that you 've putted everything back and also all the plugs on the bcm...good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.