My 3D-printed Lip Kit. - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 08-11-2013, 04:02 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
GK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to behold
Garage
(Thread Starter)
My 3D-printed Lip Kit.

Hello everyone,

I'd like to share with everyone a project that I have been working on it. It started summer 2012 when I thought of a design for a lip kit that would complete the exterior of my car, along with other plans. So I made a quick photoshop image of what my plans were at the time:

I got some of the modifications as pictured complete already, including lowering the car and new wheels.

I did go to school for industrial design which I am very passionate about so I have a good understanding of design in general, especially with automotive applications. But anyway, originally I thought I would produce it strictly out of fiberglass. I had access to a CNC machine for which I could have made a very rough mold. I never got around to doing that as my final year of school started and got very busy with my work as I had to work on my final thesis project. Now things get interesting: For this project there was a requirement to produce a hard model, and I have decided like many to get it 3D-printed. Unlike most who had their 3D printing outsourced, I went ahead and bought a printer, the Makerbot Replicator 2. Quite an investment. At first it was wonderful, I made a handful of Tiburon parts in my Christmas 2012 break. But then I had to go back to working on my school stuff when the final semester came about. As well, I have encountered many problems with this printer, so times were stressful. Anyway, school was finally out at the end of spring which meant I finally had some free time. So I went and acquired this CAD model of a GK Tiburon from the interwebs, and then designed my lip kit as a CAD model around that. I as well have modelled eyelines off of this model which I am currently working on at the same time.

As you can see I based my lip around the GK1 bumper, but I believe both it and the FL bumper share the same curvature along the bottom so modeling around that should be fairly successful. You will also see in my design I essentially combined a splitter into the lip. This splitter section will be gunmetal in color like my wheels, and will likely be a solid piece of material (e.g. thick aluminum sheet or similar) bolted directly to the frame on which the splash guard is fastened to, and the lip kit can "clamp" around that for added support. I am no aerodynamicist but I am convinced my design will aid aerodynamic efficiency. Even if it doesn't I don't care, I think it'll be sexy One of my goals with this mod is to keep the appearance fairly OEM if that makes sense. Those who have seen my other self-constructed projects probably know what I am talking about. Every modification I make on my car I make them appear almost as though the car was originally designed that way, without being boring. So this lip kit will essentially be an "extension" of the original body lines among the bottom of the car, but will transition into my fender flares in more refined fashion. I will reveal the side skirts and rear pods later on, for now I am focusing on the front to ensure the rest of the kit "matches up".

With this printer though I am limited to just a 11 x 6 x 6 inch printing volume so I would have to print out the lip piece-by-piece, fiberglass reinforce it from behind, and give it a nice coating of body filler on the outside surfaces. Some of you may think, why not just print out a mold and lay-up fiberglass to that? Well, while that would work, I am curious to see how the printed PLA material holds up to driving conditions. I am convinced it would work out really well as the material shares many properties to those of ABS plastic, but is a bit more "tougher". Plus as far as I know this method has not yet been tried by anyone so it makes for a good experiment.

Here are the results so far:

About a month ago I printed out two pieces for the front lip, and then cut up with the dremel a bit to make it fit better. I know there will probably be a great deal of trial and error with this project and that's ok. As you can see these pieces look a bit gross with the brown spots. My printer hasn't been the most reliable and right now it had a problem with the insulation material coming off which has been causing that happen. As of right now the nozzle shooting out the material got so clogged that it's no good anymore, so I am afraid I'll have to order new parts and get back to printing a week or so from now. Between waiting on printer parts, doing the actual printing, going to work and having a social life this project will take the next several months to complete but I will get it done because I need this kit to complete the exterior on my car. I as well have 90% finished my interior so come 2014 my car will be complete appearance-wise which is rather odd to think about. As we all know, our car projects never finish! lol. Oh well, time will tell.

Alas, I am very excited

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

September 2014 COTM: BEST MANUAL TIBURON
June 2014 COTM: BEST INTERIOR
2013 MOTY: BEST PHOTOCHOP ARTIST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Captain Québec

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
NewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud of
Re: My 3D-printed Lip Kit.

I am simply jealous of all your talents and your passion in what you do.

Subscribed!!

Community Voted Best Staff Member Of 2013

2007 GS Sport Charcoal Grey Tiburon -

2002 Stock Elantra - Sold
2008 GS Sport Tidal Wave Blue Tiburon - Actual
#3 Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Shak is an unknown quantity at this point

And This is why we like our personal Talented Tiburon Owner Mr. G.

o__o"

To be honest, This is amazing to see. ^__^ It would be nice to get this all worked out. Hopefully sooner the better. Muahahahaha
#4 Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Edwin1664 will become famous soon enoughEdwin1664 will become famous soon enough

You sir are pretty boss! I've always had an interest for 3D printing after I found out it was possible.

Design Portfolio:
#5 Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
xXMuRk3rXx

This is really cool man, props.

03 GT 6 speed - 210whp N/A
#6 Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Static-dropped is an unknown quantity at this point

Ding ding ding. I think we are gunna have a legit lip !!!! Subed
#7 Old 08-12-2013, 01:26 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
theyounggun101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow that's ****ing awesome as a future engineer and someone who has built countless things on a 3d printer good ****ing job that is sick... What program did you use?
#8 Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Jazzville will become famous soon enough

Nice to see some professional projects for once. Good job!

#9 Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

oppa637 is an unknown quantity at this point

Neat, share the file please =P
#10 Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
bloodycliff is a splendid one to beholdbloodycliff is a splendid one to beholdbloodycliff is a splendid one to beholdbloodycliff is a splendid one to beholdbloodycliff is a splendid one to beholdbloodycliff is a splendid one to beholdbloodycliff is a splendid one to behold

2014, the year 3d printing will change

so many mods

many

Performance
Weapons-R Secret SRI / RPW Equal Length Headers / Borla Exhaust

Style
Zefiro Ronda BodyKit / Focal F10 Rims / VIS Cyber Carbon Fiber Hood
#11 Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
shh... I'm printing!

GK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to beholdGK27V6 is a splendid one to behold
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks everyone! I really wish I could advance further right now but it won't be until a couple days that I order my new printer parts and then there's the shipping time :/

For those interested I imported the mesh file in Solidworks and generated my lip with that program.

And yes, 3D printing will certainly make a lot more mods accessible. So far though I have found that the PLA material starts to warp from heat at fairly low temperatures so that cuts out any parts in engine bay or ones left in the hot sun all day

#12 Old 08-13-2013, 11:59 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Johncrxsi will become famous soon enoughJohncrxsi will become famous soon enough

This is great! Too bad theres nothing for the 07-08
#13 Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Captain Québec

NewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud of

You can always use those parts as a mold for fiberglass or carbon fiber? That way you can do engine bay parts and not worry about the temperature.

#14 Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
NewTiburon.com God

CelticShark420 will become famous soon enoughCelticShark420 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTibOwner2011 View Post
You can always use those parts as a mold for fiberglass or carbon fiber? That way you can do engine bay parts and not worry about the temperature.
i would love that front lip kit done in Carbon Fiber.

Mussa DST: : : : : : : : : ClutchMaster St.I : : : : : : : : : KYB-GR2's
Mussa CF Hood : : : : : Fidanza eff.dub. : : : : : : : Fujita F5 SRI
Tein-S Springs : : : : : : : : : ARK STS : : : : : : : Wilwood F&R BBK
ARK FStB/RSwB : : : : : : : CF Hatch : : : : : : : : : : DC Headers
#15 Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncrxsi View Post
This is great! Too bad theres nothing for the 07-08
Maybe I change that some day ;P

#16 Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
This is true, and I will consider that

#17 Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM
shh... I'm printing!

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Good news everyone!

My replacement printer parts have arrived. Hopefully I can get back into the printing game this week. I am on a tight schedule working two jobs + social life.

#18 Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Captain Québec

Meh,

No need of social life...

Eat, right hand and 3D printer is all that a guy need in his life, you know.

Last edited by NewTibOwner2011; 08-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.
#19 Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Johncrxsi will become famous soon enoughJohncrxsi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Meh,

No need of social life...

Eat, right hand and 3D printer is all that a guy need in his life, you know.
Lmao.spot on, spot on

Last edited by NewTibOwner2011; 08-30-2013 at 10:00 AM.
#20 Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

m4rk1z will become famous soon enoughm4rk1z will become famous soon enough

Hi!
Your work looks very nice and aggressive it is similar to mine (i have CF in the middle),
so waiting for your end result pictures!

Here is a picture of my finished work:

Originally Posted by Bakerking31: wow ... how is sfr still allowed to to buisness through this site?
...sfr has been banned from other sites for a reason... their customer service is sh1t and their philosophy is blame the customer

Me? I just lost 900 euros and my reflashed ecu but that's OK since i invested more than 7k euros in my setup, i was lucky for NOT ordering it all at sfr, i almost did! Gay jay
#21 Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk1z View Post
Hi!
Your work looks very nice and aggressive it is similar to mine (i have CF in the middle),
so waiting for your end result pictures!

Here is a picture of my finished work:
Wow I did not know you made those side skirts too! The design for mine will be very similar! See, a few years ago I was actually inspired by you and your car to produce my own lip. Your car is gorgeous, congratulations!

#22 Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

m4rk1z will become famous soon enoughm4rk1z will become famous soon enough

hahaha and i always wanted to get those fender plastics like yours but could never find them so i finished my without them I can't wait to see your car finished!!!
It will look very mean! I love the wide body look and the red color

Originally Posted by Bakerking31: wow ... how is sfr still allowed to to buisness through this site?
...sfr has been banned from other sites for a reason... their customer service is sh1t and their philosophy is blame the customer

Me? I just lost 900 euros and my reflashed ecu but that's OK since i invested more than 7k euros in my setup, i was lucky for NOT ordering it all at sfr, i almost did! Gay jay

Last edited by m4rk1z; 08-30-2013 at 09:33 PM.
#23 Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Garage
(Thread Starter)

UPDATE: All of the replacement parts to fix my printer arrived! Will be fixing it shortly and will be on my way again. My intention is to have this kit completed for spring 2014 as I will not be driving with it in the winter anyway.

#24 Old 10-27-2013, 04:13 PM
shh... I'm printing!

Garage
(Thread Starter)

UPDATE: I fixed the printer and we are back in business! Aiming to have my first printout of the front lip assembled asap.

Stay tuned

#25 Old 10-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Coegi vos via~

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
optimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another leveloptimummind is on another level

Neat, very neat~!

Can't wait to see the final result.

=멤버프로파일:

=Album:

++++++++++
++++++++++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.