LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
jmartin99 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
2003 2.7 engine swap

My daughter has a 2003 Tiburon GT with the 2.7 V6. Recently her timing belt went and broke 6 exhaust valves and messed up one of the heads.

I have a different motor to put replace her damaged one with. The question I have is this, is it possible to pull the motor out the top of the engine bay and get the new one back in through the top? Or do I absolutely have to drop the whole K-member and do the swap. She has a manual transmission with the stock clutch.

Thanks!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 PM
NewTiburon.com God

mayom15 has a spectacular aura aboutmayom15 has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2003 2.7 engine swap

yes you can pull it out thru the top...i have done this many times and prefer to do it this way. you can pull the engine with the trans then pull them apart once you have them out. to me this way is much easier
#3 Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Is there any way to do it without pulling the trans too?

I really don't want to have to pull the axles and disconnect everything from the trans to swap motors but I guess if I have no choice I will have to.

Jeff
#4 Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 AM
NewTiburon.com God

mayom15 has a spectacular aura aboutmayom15 has a spectacular aura about

im not so sure that you can pull the engine with out the trans. ive never tried it, but ive also never heard of anyone else doing it that way or even attempting...not saying it cant be done tho. there isnt too much extra with pulling the trans out as well. just the axles like you said and two extra connectors....o and i guess the battery and intake box. i always forget about those cause i havent had those in the way for years
#5 Old 01-16-2011, 03:19 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Okay, I got the engine and tranny out. I have removed all of the bolts holding the transmission to the engine but it doesn't want to separate. Do I need to take the lever from the slave cylinder off to get it apart?? If not what is the trick?

HELP!!!!

Thanks!

Jeff
#6 Old 01-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Will51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another level

Take the arm attached to the slave cylinder off of the shift fork post attached to the trans annd if should slide right off.

For quickest response regarding ZMR Mods please email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thanks so much for the help with this project!!! I have the Tranny and new engine back together and in the car now!
One more question though, I lost some of the Tranny fluid while I was removing it from the car. What kind of fluid is used in the Manual Tranny? Looks like oil to me. Also, how do you know how much fluid to put in it? I found a really small plug on the top of the tranny that I guess you use to put the fluid in, is this correct? Thanks!!!

Jeff
#8 Old 01-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Will51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another level

75-90 gear oil, some people use GM synchromesh as well, but if you're going to use that drain out the old stuff and refill it. If you have a 5 speed there is a plug on the metal plate in the front of the trans just under the battery tray, that the fill plug.

For quickest response regarding ZMR Mods please email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of

when putting in the fluid from the filler plug fill it up until it begins to pour out then let it keep pouring out until it starts to drip slowly this is very important, if you don't let it drain until it drips it will cause premature input shaft seal failure!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.