Tib stalled itself out. wont start now. - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
trussell99 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Tib stalled itself out. wont start now.

2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 164K miles

ive searched google and the forums to find an answer, I am at a loss now.

car started for 3 seconds then shut off. turn the key and just makes a clunk sound.

now trying to rule things out.

new battery (other was low and not taking a charge)
new used starter (old one started smoking, this one did too, solenoids are clicking)
all instruments and dash lights/headlights/stereo work fine with key on accessory
when trying to start the headlights don't dim they go completely out.
tried bump start in 2nd gear at around 25 mph, wheels just lock up into a skid
tested the ignition relay and fuel pump relay both checked out.

what do you guys thing this could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: Tib stalled itself out. wont start now.

Welcome to NT.

How long have you owned the car?
Other than listed work, what else has been worked on recently?

Sounds like a bad connection, first guess is the ground braid from the UIM (Upper Intake Manifold) to the firewall. This is a main ground, must be on a clean surface, especially on the UIM. If it's bad, you melt the small gage wire from the coil packs.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 188K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #3 of 13 Old 02-12-2017, 08:55 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Dangle is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussell99 View Post
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 164K miles

ive searched google and the forums to find an answer, I am at a loss now.

car started for 3 seconds then shut off. turn the key and just makes a clunk sound.

now trying to rule things out.

new battery (other was low and not taking a charge)
new used starter (old one started smoking, this one did too, solenoids are clicking)
all instruments and dash lights/headlights/stereo work fine with key on accessory
when trying to start the headlights don't dim they go completely out.
tried bump start in 2nd gear at around 25 mph, wheels just lock up into a skid
tested the ignition relay and fuel pump relay both checked out.

what do you guys thing this could be?

When was the last time it had a timing belt?

Sounds to me like your engine is locked up. If i was in your position, i would be pulling the timing belt cover off to see if the belt is still intact.

Your starter(s) may be smoking because its simply unable to turn the engine...

post #4 of 13 Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Still the same me...

Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangle View Post
When was the last time it had a timing belt?

Sounds to me like your engine is locked up. If i was in your position, i would be pulling the timing belt cover off to see if the belt is still intact.

Your starter(s) may be smoking because its simply unable to turn the engine...
Yeh, could be, OP could get a socket and ratchet/breaker bar on the crank pulley, try CW, if that is too tight, try 1/2 turn or less CCW, see if it moves.

If it the timing belt, hopefully nothing is bent (valves) since it was just starting, not cruising down the highway.

There is a good DIY on replacing a Tib TB, both the I4 and V6.

My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #5 of 13 Old 02-12-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
It's my gf car, and her dad's before her so I know 3 years of the maintence from myself doing it. I assume that her dad kept up on maintenance but he ran all of his vehicles pretty hard.

I'm 98% sure there has been no work done to the car besides the basics and a clutch change at around 155K. The timing belt hasn't ever been replaced. I'll be checking that next for sure. Thanks for the input everyone I will let you all know.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-12-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Also, I did but a ratchet on the crank pulls and tried to rotate it clockwise. I couldn't budge it at all. I did not try a breaker bar though. People keep telling me my engine is seized.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Still the same me...

Cool Re: Tib stalled itself out. won't CRANK now.

Quote:
Also, I did put a ratchet on the crank bolt and tried to rotate it clockwise. I couldn't budge it at all. I did not try a breaker bar though. People keep telling me my engine is seized.
If it Is a 1/2" drive ratchet, that should be enough to turn the engine.
Did you try no more than about 1/2 turn CCW? Yes, that's backward, just don't turn too far. If it moves then, go back CW.

If it has oil in it and was not grossly overheated, I doubt it's seized. More likely a broken timing belt and a valve is against a piston.

You can also pull the upper TB cover and have someone watch the cam gear while you turn the crank bolt.

I find removing the front passengers wheel and using a long (3') extension makes my life easier on the crank bolt.

PS, what do other people know about "seized", we're on the Internet, we MUST be correct!
LOL..........

Last edited by Charlie-III; 02-12-2017 at 06:05 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-13-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
So for an update, it was the timing belt.
Around the crank pulley some of the belt teeth had been ripped off. I also found what seemed to look like a a few gasket seal pieces caught between the belt and the cogs. I'll have pics below. The long piece is the "gasket" the small ones are ripped off belt teeth I believe.

Also for turning the engine with a ratchet, it moved 1/3 rotation CCW, and a little ways past 1/3 rotation back CW then stopped and I couldn't budge it anymore.
Valve against a piston like you guys said maybe? Is there a way to tell without a major tear down?
Attached Images

post #9 of 13 Old 02-14-2017, 01:34 AM
Still the same me...

Not really, you need the heads off. While it's possible to move cams and leak down test cylinders, you are likely to still have to pull heads.

Decision time, work with this engine or get a used one.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

AfterGlow93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

I think it's no more interesting to work on this engine.

It's definitely your timing belt that caused the engine stall.
The G6BA-Delta engine is an Interference engine, to be clear, if your timing belt rip or break, you have 99% of chance that the piston hit the valves and bent them.

Consider if you want to repair it, the price of all gaskets (Head Gasket, Cover Gasket) Valves (better to change all the valves), Lifters (better to change all the lifters), Timing belt Kit with Water pump.
You can buy an used engine for cheaper than all those parts.

And, the timing belt may not be the main cause, maybe your engine is seized, and the timing belt just ripped of because the cranckshaft was not able to turn correctly.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Well aside from purchasing the engine, anyone know around how much a shop would charge to hook up the engine? Or a very detailed DIY video perhaps? I've been looking for some but most just talk about install problems.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

The_Evenger
Garage

engine cost depends where you live. engines go for around $400 for 100k around me, use car-part to find out for you.

If you're going to swap engines, might as well do timing and clutch to the new engine since there will never be an easier time to get to them.

When you buy a car on the very edge of being salvage
2006 Tiburon GS WN | no big mods(sold)
2007 Tiburon SE BV | recovering(
)

post #13 of 13 Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

AfterGlow93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Quote:
Well aside from purchasing the engine, anyone know around how much a shop would charge to hook up the engine? Or a very detailed DIY video perhaps? I've been looking for some but most just talk about install problems.
For a such rebuild engine, it will cost the price of a new engine.
A new engine (fully new, and complete with cylinder head and covers), ready to be mounted and oiled, cost about 1400$

You can check it out on MOBIS website TO BUY IT NEW:

NEW ENGINE GAS L6BA (G6BA) EURO-3-4 ASSY-SUB SET HYUNDAI 2015 MNR- ITEM: New engine gas L6BA EURO-3-4 assy-sub set *from M- L6BA 01-07- MOBIS

Or search on ebay and breakyards to find one used with a good mileage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
no crank, starter smoking, wont start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.