Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

First turbo project.

76K views 438 replies 40 participants last post by  Foreigner 
#1 ·
After reading a lot of things on here and waiting for the opportune moment, I bought a evo turbo setup from another member on here, and I'm finally putting it all in.

Previously to this, I upgraded to a stage 3 ACT clutch, fidanza flywheel, changed my spark plugs and wires, and had a local shop install the AEM FIC.

2 weeks ago the roof of my house was being fixed and I didn't work, so it was a good time to start the project.

Removed the old exhaust manifold and exhaust, moved the power steering out of the way, and replaced the old oil pan with one that's already tapped.

Eventually I was able to mount the new evo exhaust manifold and turbo.
Next task - run oil and coolant lines, and mount intercooler.

This is where you guys come in:
Where does everyone connect their coolant lines, and what advice would you give me for mounting the intercooler? Mine's an 07 btw.

Attachments

See less See more
#40 ·
what downpipe did you end up using? I need some video for the sound, in cabin and outside with a drive-by shot plz

im thinking these engines could sound pretty nice with the right setup, wondering about the acceleration too

#42 ·
Thanks guys! I will be posting videos once I have a proper tune after I raise up a storm at the shop who failed miserably last time.

Because I have 2 mufflers and resonated tips, it's barely louder than stock at idle. You can't even tell it's turbo until the BOV goes off. If it wasn't for the red hoses in the front it could definitely be a sleeper.

dominicantibby pictures sent but they're not very helpful since I had the shop wire it in for me and I can't see the parts you need to see.

#43 ·
I'm not sure exactly where the downpipe came from. I got it from the same guy who sold me the setup, I would have to ask him.

Random question. Can the FIC be used to somehow trick the factory ecu into thinking there are 2 o2 sensors? or to ignore the fact that one is missing? One of the error codes I'm getting is because there is no second o2 sensor and I want to get rid of that.

#44 ·
Updates: I checked with the guy who I got this setup from and he says the downpipe is from turbo xs.

After checking all the connections and everything looking good I'm thinking my oil pressure gauge is bad. It's a brand called Sunpro that I've never heard of, so might not be good quality for all I know.

Went to the shop again today and got the off boost a/f sorted. Now I'm in the 13s when cruising. They checked the spark plugs and the a/f tune in boost again and everything looks good, but it's still misfiring at 5500 RPM and in idle. The next thing they're thinking is a clogged injector because the error code is saying specifically cylinder 3 is misfiring.

And somehow it's still doing 236 whp at 5000 RPM with 5 psi of boost. I told the guy that it doesn't sound right, but he says it's very possible.

#49 ·
Thanks man. I'm happy with the exhaust, but there are other problems that need to be fixed. Still need to figure out what's causing the misfire. It's happening at exactly 5500 RPM and at idle. The wires are good and spark plugs are good. At some point I need to check the injectors, but after that, I have no idea.

#51 ·
Do you have any way to data log the injector duty cycle? Please post again what you're tuning with so I can see it on my phone. 99% of the time injectors don't fail but when they do it is often fully open so I wouldn't suspect injectors. Are you spraying methanol by chance? I assume you are throwing a CEL for the misfires, have you tried new plugs? Don't use iridium, swap to copper plugs NGK BKR6es-11 (or BKR7).

#52 ·
I'm using an AEM FIC for tuning. Not sure what kind of data logging features it has, but i will do some research. the CELs thrown are about the missing second O2 sensor and the misfires. No I'm not running methanol, and the plugs are new NGK racing plugs that were gapped by the same shop that dd the tune. I used to have iridium before turbo, but now believe they are copper.

#64 ·
Hey Im actually having a misfiring issue with my turbo setup on my 08 as well. My misfire happens around 2500-2800k during the transition from vacuum to boost. It appears to be a rich misfire for me so I have been pulling a little bit of fuel during low vacuum and right before the transition before boost. That seemed to help a lot with the misfire issue.

#53 ·
I wonder if theres a way to get the CEL's to go away if you install that second O2 and handle that miss....hope to hear another video of the car because i really heard nada. Excited though!

#54 ·
I remember hearing something about make the FIC send a fake second o2 sensor reading to the ecu but never figured out how to do it. Right now my bigger concern is the misfire. Still have no idea what's causing it.

Were you the one who commented on the youtube video? Is it the car being quiet or no sound playing at all?

#56 ·
Yeah, that's gonna be a big concern of mine since texas is basically making it impossible to pass cars with CEL's.

It just sounded mainly stock (which isnt a bad thing), but i just wanted a shot from behind or something maybe. Didnt hear any spoolage either, but excited to see more.

#57 ·
My car is MAF but from what i remember during the tune the FIC is set to MAP. The guy doing the tune said that didn't matter. Though seeing as how that shop has ****ed everything else up, I don't have much faith left in them.

I know the car sounds only slightly louder than stock. I like it that way. It actually turned out to be kind of a sleeper, and I like it. Under boost it sounds good though. I'll put more videos up soon.

#60 ·
Sorry about this, but in case you decides to ignore the other two guys, chalk me up as another doubter. 5-6psi won't get you 120hp over stock with a 16g.

Try using another gauge, or another dyno.

#61 ·
I'm 90% sure it's the dyno. The gause is autometer and it's hooked up correctly so there is very little chance it's messing up. Because the same shop that did the tune also did the dyno runs I just don't trust them anymore, or their dyno.

I was hoping to get some time to look into the misfiring issue but working 14 hour days 5 days a week is no fun. Stupid real life getting in the way of racecar lol.

#66 ·
I spent 900 on most of the components from a member on here, plus another 300-400 on random parts that I didn't have (boost gauge, hoses, intercooler, etc), and another 1500 for clutch/flywheel + labor.

So far I've learned to pick a shop to help you very carefully. It's misfiring I think because of a bad tune. But besides that, not bad. It's pretty smooth and pulls well. Next I want to take it to a different shop, up the boost, and do a proper tune. Once the misfire is figured out obviously.

#67 ·
Hmm, not as bad as i was expecting. I've been looking around a lot lately at turbos and what not, well the limited amount of kits we have, and from your thread and another have decided to try and piece my own kit together. Slow2k2gt's thread about turboing is definitely a major help. But I'm planning to rebuild my motor and trans before i try and t/c it so it'll probably be a good while before i can post my own build thread.

Best of luck to you though man, i hope you can figure out the misfiring issue, keep the updates coming, this is a good thread.

#69 ·
Thanks guys! I just got back from a trip first for work then a long weekend vacation. Now hopefully I'll have some time to fix the car. But first, a car wash.
PS the trail blazer in the back is my roommate's. We've slowly converted him into a car guy.

Attachments

#71 ·
If I remember correctly, it was the leftmost hole. But I'm not entirely sure because I didn't do the drilling. It was already done by the previous member who i bought the setup from. Sorry I can't be more helpful man.

In other news, my cheap oil pressure gauge gave out, so i got an AEM one to replace it. Turns out the wires aren't long enough to reach the sensor location, and I'll need to extend the wire. Problem: the wires are all aluminum. I can't find any place that sells aluminum wires. They're all copper everywhere and as far as i understand, I shouldn't mix them. Any suggestions?

#73 ·
So....I just read through this post and have a couple of questions and suggestions based on my personal experience.

1) Is that pic at idle? 13.3 at idle is NOT good. Way to rich and probably soaking your oil with gas at idle.
2) I'm hoping you reconnected the coolant lines the bad shop said you didn't need? The coolant lines are VERY important for Mitsubishi turbos as without them you will vastly shorten their life.
3) Any leaking from your ghetto JB rigged oil drain pan connection? If you still have your other pan take it to a shop to have the fitting properly welded on otherwise its a matter of time before that puppy leaks all over. Ask me how I know.. ;)
4) When you say you don't have a 2nd O2 sensor what exactly do you mean? Did you just remove and disconnect it and the harness is just laying there? The Hyundai ECU uses this to determine catalyst effeciency and without it the ECU will dump fuel to compensate. I suggest extending the harness wires and putting the stock 2nd O2 sensor behind your hi flow cat to help.
5) Get rid of those plugs! Through trial and error I've found the Beta 2 engine loves to run Iridium plugs under boost. Get some good Iridium plugs and gap them to about .32 and your misfire should vacate the building.. :)
6) Wrap your downpipe!! The Hyundai Oil and Crankshaft sensor wasn't designed for the added heat a turbo produces so wrap your downpipe in thermal wrap to help them life a long and healthy life. The sensors are both located on the lower right side of the block next to the tranny.
7) Intercept the TPS sensor signal!! I can't remember but I think the FIC has the ability to intercept and modify multiple analog sensors so I suggest running the TPS signal through the FIC so that way you can trick the ECU into thinking your wide open throttle as soon as boost starts. This does many things but most important it will scale back ignition timing allowing you to run even more boost safely provided you tune it right. :) I ran upwards of 20psi on a 100% stock engine with no issues doing this trick :)

#74 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I've definitely learned my lesson about going to that shop and will be fixing all those things as soon as money is available. It's funny because pretty much every single thing you mentioned is something I asked the shop about and they said "trust us it's better this way" (except the JB oil drain). Oh well, lessons learned.

The JB welded oil drain is working fine so far, haven't had any issues with it. I check it every once in a while so make sure it looks good.
As far as the second O2 sensor, it's not there at all. Once again, the shop said I'll be fine with one.

The high flow cat is gone though. The insides broke apart into little pieces and started rattling inside of my exhaust until I took it to a shop and figured out what happened. Not sure if I want to bother with another one or just stay catless.