Coolant leak near thermostat housing? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cyco2oo3
(Thread Starter)
Coolant leak near thermostat housing?

Well, this started last week. I was driving over to a friend's house, which is about a 3 minute drive down the road. While on my way to his house, I noticed my engine started to sputter, as it would before you stall out. I was in 2nd doing 25, so there's no way I was stalling. Got to his house, left his house, as soon as I started driving back home, my CEL came on. Got home, popped the hood, and saw some smoke. Looked around a little, and heard a hissing noise coming from the area of the thermostat housing. Looked on top of the transmission, and saw coolant that was dripping down from that area.

So I checked my coolant, it was empty. I went ahead and flushed my coolant and re-filled. Took my wife to the hospital yesterday (about a half hour each way) and like 2 minutes before coming back home, my car started sputtering again. Got home, popped the hood, no smoke this time, but still heard the hissing noise coming from the thermostat housing area.

While driving, most the time my temp gauge was at a normal 50%. But I noticed as I was coming onto the base, it was a 75% for a little and dropped back down to 50%.

I know it's not the radiator hoses because it wasn't coming from the hoses, but before anyone suggests it, I thought I'd point out that I just replaced the radiator hoses about 2 hours again with new OBX hoses. Also, I tightened one of the bolt on the thermostat housing a little because it was very slightly loose. Can coolant leak from the actual thermostat housing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of
Re: Coolant leak near thermostat housing?

the only place it can leak unless the housing is cracked is the gasket, you said you tightened one of the bolts because it was loose this could mean the gasket was not squished properly and has shifted causing a leak and possibly restricting flow causing the motor to overheat slightly

when you installed the thermostat did you tighten it then allow the motor to go through a heat cycle (heat up- cool down) then re torque the housing??

also i hope everything is ok with your wife

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Canada = Awesomeness eh!
Isnt it amazing how quickly everyone can turn against you

Last edited by lukeman; 01-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.
#3 Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Tcarboy7 will become famous soon enoughTcarboy7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
the only place it can leak unless the housing is cracked is the gasket, you said you tightened one of the bolts because it was loose this could mean the gasket was not squished properly and has shifted causing a leak and possibly restricting flow causing the motor to overheat slightly

when you installed the thermostat did you tighten it then allow the motor to go through a heat cycle (heat up- cool down) then re torque the housing??

also i hope everything is ok with your wife
i agree. i would change the thermostat ( comes with gasket usually ) and see if it fixes your issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 6SPD
BONE STOCK
#4 Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 PM
NewTiburon.com God

lukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud oflukeman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarboy7 View Post
i agree. i would change the thermostat ( comes with gasket usually ) and see if it fixes your issue
if i remember correctly Cyco2oo3 has recently changed his thermostat with a sfr racing on? what im thinking is the gasket didn't seat properly due to expansion and heat

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
#5 Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Cyco2oo3
(Thread Starter)

I had a SR thermostat but never installed it. I never touched the thermostat housing. I think I may just get it looked at tomorrow by Firestone. They're going to charge me an arm and a leg, but I really can't risk this anymore, I don't want to cause any internal damage to my engine.

I just drove it for like 15 minutes. The sputtering is happening a lot more frequently now. Moving from a completely stop, it sputters all the way until I reach around 25mph and go into third gear. I was watching my temp gauge and it got all the way to about 90%-95%!!!! I slowed down a bit, getting ready to pull over and let it cool down, but the temp gauge went back down to around 70% while I was slowing down. Since I was only 2 minutes from my house, i just hauled *** home. Also, when I first start up my car, my engine and my exhaust shake very aggressively.

PS: thanks Lukeman, she's doing good!
#6 Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Worst Overall NT Member of 2010

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
krazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond reputekrazymikeyXJ has a reputation beyond repute

If its like a jeep, you have to torque it to spec, or it can crack it and not seal right. Ive replaced 3 already

2008 toyota prius-Intake, exhaust, lambo doors, leds, spoiler, and more
Worst Overall NT Member of 2010
#7 Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 PM
NewTiburon.com God

maybe your coolant temp sensor is missleading you also. the ECU tells some other sensors to act the way they do depending on the reading from the CTS. if its reading inaccurate coolant temp is could be causing the other sensors to react in ways the car doesnt like.

BONE STOCK
#8 Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
NewTiburon.com God

well i hope everything works out, i stand by it being the gasket but im afraid it may be a water pump, but its not likely.

hope it all works out in the cheapest way possible!

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
#9 Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
well i hope everything works out, i stand by it being the gasket but im afraid it may be a water pump, but its not likely.

hope it all works out in the cheapest way possible!
this is very true also...i have to do my timing belt and water pump in the spring

BONE STOCK
#10 Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Cyco2oo3
(Thread Starter)

Man.... this is bad. I hope it's not a water pump or anything.

EDIT: When my engine cools down (it's still really hot! my strut bar burned me!) I am going to reverse the coolant by-pass mod that I did about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by Cyco2oo3; 01-23-2011 at 10:14 PM.
#11 Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

codyb03tib is an unknown quantity at this point

more than likely the thermostat, I had a grandam before the tib and it did the exact same thing, temp would shoot up high and then suddenly dropped down. The leak could also be due to the gasket not sealing correctly as stated above. good luck hope it all works out
#12 Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Cyco2oo3
(Thread Starter)

Well I just reversed the coolant bypass mod. I really don't think that's it, but it deals with the coolant and I just did it 3 weeks ago, so better safe than sorry. Gonna take the Tib over to Firestone in the morning, and they're going to charge me an arm and a leg. First they want $80 to run a diagnostics and figure out the problem, then they want money for parts (if needed) and labor.

Oh well, whatever it takes to get my baby up and running again! Well, technically, running healthy again! lol
#13 Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Banned

dmdicks is just really nicedmdicks is just really nicedmdicks is just really nicedmdicks is just really nice

If your leak was that bad, and it sounds like it is, chances are there was no coolant for the temp sensor to read so it makes sense that it wasn't showing the car overheating. I would have someone do a compression test on your engine to make sure its still healthy.
#14 Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM
NewTiburon.com God

my best guess from what we know about your tib is,, the gasket has failed and and allowed air into the system and when that air hits the sensor it super heats it showing a false reading, the gasket may have failed due to a bad thermostat i would replace both (or have the shop do it)

a compression test is always a good test to run,
im going to be doing one so i can sleep well at nigh lol im paranoid! i keep thinking my head gasket is failing

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
#15 Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Cyco2oo3
(Thread Starter)

Well I don't know if it's false reading we are talking about. I mean, the car gets REALLY hot after driving for 15 minutes. On top of that, I heard the sizzling noise. It's definitely something around the thermostat area, but I won't know for sure until the mechanics tell me. Well, only 3 more hours until I bring the car over there.

I'll keep you guys posted.
#16 Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned

dmdicks is just really nicedmdicks is just really nicedmdicks is just really nicedmdicks is just really nice

an easy check is to look at the coolant and engine oil. If it looks like they are mixing then your compression will be low and the engine will overheat...
#17 Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Cyco2oo3
(Thread Starter)

Well me and the Tib have parted ways... We'll see what it wrong with her in a few hours.

I hated driving away from my baby
#18 Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco2oo3 View Post
Well me and the Tib have parted ways... We'll see what it wrong with her in a few hours.

I hated driving away from my baby
i know how u feel, i usually stay and watch them like a hawk!

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
#19 Old 01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Cyco2oo3
(Thread Starter)

Well..... we have a major problem. Possible gasket leak, somehow coolant got into my third cylinder. Now I have to find an engine shop that can either do a break down and fix my engine or replace my engine with only 55k......

Very bad day for me, I feel like puking.
#20 Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
NewTiburon.com God

that wouldn't be a hugely difficult job, if i was in hawaii i would be able to help you out lol. but its not a terribly difficult job its just time consuming and requires a machine shop to re surface the heads, i t have the manual if you wanted to do it yourself. i would put it at a full afternoon job. and probably a 12pack of Canadian to celebrate a job well done afterwards lol

consider yourself lucky the V6 guys have 2 head gaskets and the back one is a pain to do. us i4 guys have it good with one head and a simple timing setup.

damn i wish i was closer not only for the weather lol but to give you a hand.

Canada = Awesomeness eh!
#21 Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Cyco2oo3
(Thread Starter)

I honestly don't feel confident enough to do something involving the internals of my engine. Well, finding a shop nearby on this island is alot harder than I thought. I do have a Hyundai dealer only 15 minutes away. The guy I needed to talk to was not at his desk, but I left a message.

If I can't get this one fixed, I'm going to stay with the i4. I considered upgrading to the V6, but then I would need a new tranny and all that crap. Plus, I just bought a new 5 speed STS.
#22 Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 PM
NewTiburon.com God

jawzgt has a spectacular aura aboutjawzgt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco2oo3 View Post
Well..... we have a major problem. Possible gasket leak, somehow coolant got into my third cylinder. Now I have to find an engine shop that can either do a break down and fix my engine or replace my engine with only 55k......

Very bad day for me, I feel like puking.
thats terrible. hope you find a cheap motor....there was one on here for 300...with 3k miles i think...but shipping to hawaii would also cost and arm and a leg + eye...i think.
good luck though.

Stolen....
Missing since 9/11/2012
#23 Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
NewTiburon.com God

i4 is the way to go lol way easier to work on and IMO more fun. good luck getting her repaired if you need any help just PM me i am all about the i4, lol i have one in my garage ripped apart that im putting forged internals into to make a franken tib lol

honestly i would get the head gasket done its not a super difficult job and a shop shouldn't charge an arm and a leg

Canada = Awesomeness eh!

Last edited by lukeman; 01-24-2011 at 07:36 PM.
#24 Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Cyco2oo3
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
honestly i would get the head gasket done its not a super difficult job and a shop shouldn't charge an arm and a leg
Yeah but still, there is coolant inside the engine. That all has to be removed.

btw, I have to drive my wife's Jetta now. It's pretty cool, you know, goes 0-60 in only 19 seconds.
#25 Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
BramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of light

I would have thought if coolant was getting in the cylinders you would have been seeing a lot of white smoke coming out the tail pipe. Did you notice this? Just you didn't mention it so it's weird to me that they are saying their is coolant getting in the cylinders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.