LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-05-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jeremy Blevins is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy P0136 with brand new O2 Sensor.

So, I replaced my O2 sensors less than a week ago and my CEL is back already with this code. I'm thinking that it may actually be the cables that go to the O2 sensor but I don't know where I can find a replacement for them. I've tried searching for "2006 Tiburon GS O2 Sensor Wiring Harness" but nothing seems to pop up. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-05-2017, 12:44 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
Re: P0136 with brand new O2 Sensor.

Did you replace it with a 100% OEM Hyundai sensor?
aveenav likes this.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-05-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
It's a Bosch O2 sensor, that's all I really know.

post #4 of 25 Old 05-05-2017, 02:15 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

aveenav is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Blevins View Post
It's a Bosch O2 sensor, that's all I really know.
As dmdicks pointed out stick with OEM part for sensors. NTK is the OEM on hyundais. NTK 24588 and NTK 25606 are the parts you'd need. RockAuto sells them for <$50 each. Use their 5% discount code available on this forum in the sponsor section. Many universal-fit type aftermarket sensors are hit or miss, they r usually not calibrated to vehicle specs.

05 Tib GT v6, 2.7L, 5MT, 120K miles, black, Mussa catback exhaust

Last edited by aveenav; 05-05-2017 at 02:16 PM.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-05-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveenav View Post
As dmdicks pointed out stick with OEM part for sensors. NTK is the OEM on hyundais. NTK 24588 and NTK 25606 are the parts you'd need. RockAuto sells them for <$50 each. Use their 5% discount code available on this forum in the sponsor section. Many universal-fit type aftermarket sensors are hit or miss, they r usually not calibrated to vehicle specs.
Okay, I just bought an OEM one today and replaced it. I have no CEL yet, however I checked the live data and the voltage for the B1S2 O2 sensor is always stuck at .410 and never changes at all.

I'm worried that this means it will come back on. Is there any chance someone has a link for that harness just in case?
post #6 of 25 Old 05-05-2017, 09:13 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The_Evenger
Garage

that's normal for a bank 2 sensor. the bank 1 should switch back and forth, while the bank 2 sensor should stay around half a volt. it's for monitoring the cat.
aveenav likes this.

When you buy a car on the very edge of being salvage
2004 Tiburon GT WN | minor performance mods(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

post #7 of 25 Old 05-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Evenger View Post
that's normal for a bank 2 sensor. the bank 1 should switch back and forth, while the bank 2 sensor should stay around half a volt. it's for monitoring the cat.
I think you did a typo......
Bank refers to which side (or bank) of the engine the sensor is on. Bank 1 is the side with the odd numbered cylinders, bank 2 is the side with the even numbered cylinders.

The sensor number tells if it's before or after the primary CAT.

A "sensor 1" is an upstream/pre CAT sensor. These should switch between about a volt to about 0 volts in a second or two.
A "sensor 2" is a downstream/post CAT sensor. These should sit around 1/2 a volt with minor changes.

An inline engine only has a bank 1.
The_Evenger likes this.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #8 of 25 Old 05-05-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Bank refers to which side (or bank) of the engine the sensor is on. Bank 1 is the side with the odd numbered cylinders, bank 2 is the side with the even numbered cylinders.

The sensor number tells if it's before or after the primary CAT.

A "sensor 1" is an upstream/pre CAT sensor. These should switch between about a volt to about 0 volts in a second or two.
A "sensor 2" is a downstream/post CAT sensor. These should sit around 1/2 a volt with minor changes.

An inline engine only has a bank 1.
Call me crazy but isn't B1S1 after the first catalytic converter, and B1S2 is before the first cat, plugged into the front of the engine on my 2006 Tibby GS? Because after doing some research that's what I've seen in all the diagrams on AutoZone.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-05-2017, 11:44 PM
Still the same me...

Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Call me crazy but isn't B1S1 after the first catalytic converter, and B1S2 is before the first cat, plugged into the front of the engine on my 2006 Tibby GS? Because after doing some research that's what I've seen in all the diagrams on AutoZone.
Up stream sensors have to be between the engine and the first CAT, this is what tells the ECU how the AFR's are doing.

In the I4, you have B1S1 which is pre CAT and B1S2 which is after the primary CAT?

Do a Google search for "o2 sensor numbering", here is one example.....

My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .

Last edited by Charlie-III; 05-05-2017 at 11:47 PM.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-06-2017, 12:42 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

The_Evenger
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Bank refers to which side (or bank) of the engine the sensor is on. Bank 1 is the side with the odd numbered cylinders, bank 2 is the side with the even numbered cylinders.......
ops, yeah that was a typo. I meant sensors not banks. sorry
Charlie-III likes this.

)

post #11 of 25 Old 05-06-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Just wanted to give you guys an update. CEL came back P0136. I replaced the other O2 sensor, which is after the first cat, before the second cat and the CEL is gone for good it seems. So it seems you are correct, and I have been replacing the wrong O2 sensor the entire time. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is on the manifold, before the first cat. B1S2 is in-between the two cats under the engine.

P.S. I feel like an idiot.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Still the same me...

Hey, learning experience, none of us were born with smarts, we all learned along the way and made mistakes as well.
I have a little advantage, I learned way before car computers, so have a good basic mechanical and electrical understanding (at least, I think so......), then I added in all the new electronics as they were introduced. Heck, I remember when solid state ignitions took over from points.....

post #13 of 25 Old 05-06-2017, 08:47 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Cheyenne Sebastian is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm replacing my 02 sensors tomorrow. You're saying I should get the NTK/Oxygen sensor instead of the Bosch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 25 Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The-steak is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne Sebastian View Post
I'm replacing my 02 sensors tomorrow. You're saying I should get the NTK/Oxygen sensor instead of the Bosch?

Yes! They are the OEM O2 sensors and would work best for your vehicle.

NGM stage 3. NGM 460 injectors. DC headers. DC exhaust. AEM CAI. Sarona Body Kit.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-06-2017, 09:48 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Tiberius

This is what I took out of my 06 4-cyl a couple weeks ago. I bought the car used, so I don't know if it's the one that was in the car when it left the factory, but it's a Kefico. Interesting that there are Bosch references on it as well:

And this is what I got as a new replacement from Hyundai. Brand new Kefico with the same Bosch references:

Also interesting to note (at least to me) that the business end looks identical to the Nippondenso aftermarket replacement. I've seen some pics of Bosch sensors that look different, but I haven't researched it much.
post #16 of 25 Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Tiberius

Oh, and it appears that Kefico is a subsidiary of Hyundai. I don't know if they are making their owns sensors or buying them and putting their name on them.

Hyundai KEFICO
post #17 of 25 Old 05-06-2017, 09:52 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-steak View Post
Yes! They are the OEM O2 sensors and would work best for your vehicle.

Alright thank you!

post #18 of 25 Old 05-14-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Soooo I'm back. The code came back and I've replaced the sensor 5 times so far using my 1 year warranty for the OEM sensor at AutoZone. I don't know what else I can do without buying a new wiring harness which I can't even find anywhere unfortunately. Anyone have anymore suggestions? I'm really in a jam here.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-14-2017, 11:32 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

aveenav is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Soooo I'm back. The code came back and I've replaced the sensor 5 times so far using my 1 year warranty for the OEM sensor at AutoZone. I don't know what else I can do without buying a new wiring harness which I can't even find anywhere unfortunately. Anyone have anymore suggestions? I'm really in a jam here.
I'm not sure if AutoZone sells OEM parts. Did the sensor looked exactly like what @Tiberius posted above?

Few things you could try:
- Unplug the connector and clean the terminals using electric contact cleaner.
- Check for any leaks, specially near the flex pipe.
- Run on premium fuel for couple of fuel ups.

05 Tib GT v6, 2.7L, 5MT, 120K miles, black, Mussa catback exhaust
post #20 of 25 Old 05-14-2017, 05:07 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The-steak is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Did you put dielectric grease in the connection? I remember reading some forums somewhere where they push dielectric grease in the connection and it worked
The_Evenger likes this.

NGM stage 3. NGM 460 injectors. DC headers. DC exhaust. AEM CAI. Sarona Body Kit.
post #21 of 25 Old 05-14-2017, 05:56 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

The_Evenger
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-steak View Post
Did you put dielectric grease in the connection? I remember reading some forums somewhere where they push dielectric grease in the connection and it worked
I second this as this worked for me, but for a different code. at this point I would say preform a voltage drop check at the connector, it could be stealing some voltage from you.

)

post #22 of 25 Old 05-15-2017, 09:06 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

If you have exact OEM sensors and the code is still present then it could be a problem elsewhere. Check for vacuum leaks all around the intake manifold including where the fuel injectors go into the intake manifold. Also check for signs of leakage on and around the exhaust manifold.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #23 of 25 Old 05-16-2017, 04:22 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post

Yes I did I got the NTK Oxygen Sensor.

post #24 of 25 Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Okay let me correct myself by saying that after checking the code now, the code is no longer P0136, now it is P0133 for the Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor. I'm going to try the dieletric grease tomorrow after work and post my results. Otherwise if you guys have anymore suggestions then I will also try them. Also I did notice that my flex pipe is scuffed, but I asked a mechanic and they said that it was so insignificant that it wouldn't bother the B1S1 sensor.
post #25 of 25 Old 05-19-2017, 10:37 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Tiberius

I've been fighting a P0133 issue myself, and as of a day or two ago, I think I have solved it.

I don't know if your issue is the same problem that I was having, but I fixed mine by resetting the adaptive parameters in the ECU. The cheapo little code scanners can't get to that option, so you're going to need something better (like what pro shops or the dealers use), but that's what worked for me.

Lots more details in this thread:
ECU Software Revision Info and P0133
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.