"Kel's Rally Red", The BMXuron - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 288 Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
KelConquer will become famous soon enoughKelConquer will become famous soon enough
Garage
(Thread Starter)
"Kel's Rally Red", The BMXuron

I'm Kel, I'm 24 and an aspiring mechanic so I do as much of my own work as possible on my 2004, i4 Tiburon. This member profile is to show the progress I've made and help me keep track of maintenance.

My first car was an automatic '98 Subaru Legacy-Outback wagon with 155k that I struggled to keep on the road for almost 2 years. I bought my Tiburon during Summer of 2013, mostly stock with 130k miles for $2,000. I still love it to this day.

If I've done something that you have questions about feel free to message me.

Current:

Engine/Trans:
-2.0 i4, 5-speed-
-Custom CAI, Spectre filter-
-OBX header, Magnaflow cat & resonator, Mussa mid-pipe & Y-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers (Post #204)-
-NGK wire set-
-HEL (350z) clutch line (Post #142)-
-Delrin shifter base & cable bushings (Post #133)-
-Poly-filled front & rear engine mounts (Post #82)-
-AC system removed (Post #68)-
-Cruise control removed-
-Window sprayer system removed-
-Slave cylinder delay valve removed-

Suspension:
-EvoFusion front strut bar (Post #225)-
-ARK rear strut bar (Post #225)-
-Moog endlinks & tie rod ends-

Wheels:
-Tires F: Nexen N5000, 215/50/17-
-Tires R: Nexen CP641, 205/50/17-
-ADR Flite 5 rims-
-PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors-
-PowerStop ceramic pads-
-Plasti-dipped rims w/copper Metalizer-

Body:
-Custom painted Tuscani emblems-
-Gutter-mesh grill-
-Vinyl wrapped fog light rings (3M 1080 C/F)-
-Clear cornered headlights and inner housings painted (Post #44)-
-Spoiler removed-
-Rear wiper removed-
-5% tint in rear 3 windows-
-Taillight red-out vinyl over signals-

Interior/Audio:
-JVC head unit-
-Kicker 250.1W amp-
-JL Audio 10WX-4 / non-ported box-
-OEM passenger cup-holder-
-OEM stainless pedal set-
-Dome, glove box & trunk LEDs (Red) from DiodeDynamics (Post #155)-
-Vinyl wrapped center fascia, door pulls, courtesy light covers (3M 1080 C/F) (Page 5)-
-Rear seats removed & trunk extended (Posts #244 & #251)-
-Honda shift knob-
-Leather/red stitched door inserts-

Maintenance:
-Mobil-1 full synthetic & OEM filter every 5,000 miles (10W30)-
-NGK platinum plugs and air filter every 20,000 miles-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Full Seafoam treatment @158k 10/23/16-
-Front wheel alignment @157k 9/1/16-
-Moog inner tie rod (pass. side) @157k 8/27/16-
-Moog front tie rod ends (both) @157k 8/27/16-
-Timken wheel bearing, Dorman hub & used knuckle (drive side) @156k 8/13/16-
-Moog balljoint (drive side) @156k 8/13/16-
-Moog front & rear endlinks @155k-
-Alternator (reman) 3/14/16-
-Bosch starter 10/6/15-
-Spectra radiator @141k 10/16/14-
-Struts & mounts @139k 7/11/14-
-Powerstop brake overhaul 5/7/14-
-Interstate battery @135k 2/3/14-
-FelPro valve cover gasket @133k 10/10/13

~~New pictures coming soon~~

Videos:
OBX & Magnaflow exhaust
OBX & Magnaflow exhaust V2 (gutted cat)

Goals:

Engine/Trans:
-Timing belt!!-
-Clutch overhaul (most likely Exedy kit + chromoly SMF)-
-Phenolic intake spacer (bought, not yet installed)-
-Completely clean/paint intake manifold (to be done same time as phenolic spacer)-
-Turbo setup! (eventually, I have A LOT to learn)-

Suspension:
-KYB struts + H&R Sport lowering springs-

Exterior:
-VIS "Cyber" CF hood (bought, not yet installed)
-05/06 front bumper-
-DiodeDynamics multi-color angel eyes-
-Home Depot lip mod (will go on 05/06 bumper)-

Interior:
-Wire up OEM multi-gauge-

All feedback welcome!
Requiem Alderon likes this.

Last edited by KelConquer; 12-06-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 288 Old 08-09-2013, 12:18 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
slow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of lightslow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of lightslow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of lightslow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of lightslow 2K2GT is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The BMXuron

Welcome aboard young fella!

First and most important is your positive attitude and sense of pride about your car, everything will fall into place with time and money. Keep it up!

I would kill for a red Tiburon and probably chop my own foot off for a white one so hearing that you are going to plasti-dip the whole schebang black is a bit heart wrenching even though mine is also black.
post #3 of 288 Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
CaptainSlow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptainSlow has a spectacular aura aboutCaptainSlow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow 2K2GT View Post

First and most important is your positive attitude and sense of pride about your car, everything will fall into place with time and money. Keep it up!

I would kill for a red Tiburon and probably chop my own foot off for a white one so hearing that you are going to plasti-dip the whole schebang black is a bit heart wrenching even though mine is also black.
Agreed on the plasti-dipping... not sure if the paint is rough and we're just not seeing it, but I'd put a shine on that Tib and leave the paint alone. If you decide in a couple years that you'd like a Gen coup and try to sell you car, it going to be a tough sell.

Other than my 2 cents on the paint, it's a great looking car! Take care of it and it will take care of you. Btw, the timing belt is pretty easy.. or a lot of dealers run T-belt specials for decent prices.

Hyundai Gold Level Tech, ASE Master Tech, L1 Certified, CA Enhanced area Smog Tech

post #4 of 288 Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anthony will become famous soon enough

Welcome, fellow rider. You picked a surprisingly good road trip car, as it can fit 3 bikes in the back easily, and more if you start breaking them down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'05 GT 5-Speed, Tein Coilovers w/EDFC, AEM CAI, DC Headers, Borla Exhaust, Ultra Racing: Rear Sway, Room, 4 Point Front Brace, and Front & Rear Strut Bars, Ingalls Control Arms, Clutchmasters Stage II w/ Flywheel, Toyo Proxes T1R's, nicnacs and whatnots
'11 335is - Daily driver
'13 FR-S 6-Speed -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 288 Old 08-10-2013, 06:48 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Oh, and the factory seats are great for taking abuse from bar ends. Most of the time I just have my bike in the back. I fold both back seats down, then lay the bike down on its right side with the bars turned 90 degrees to their left so that the right bar end is stabbing the back of the passenger seat. My rear passenger seat is all kinds of scratched up from 7 years of doing this, but thanks to that bad ass plastic, it's only cosmetic.

Well, I guess I don't really fold the back seats down anymore, since I did away with that nonsense. But I still load my bike the same way.
904tib likes this.

'05 GT 5-Speed, Tein Coilovers w/EDFC, AEM CAI, DC Headers, Borla Exhaust, Ultra Racing: Rear Sway, Room, 4 Point Front Brace, and Front & Rear Strut Bars, Ingalls Control Arms, Clutchmasters Stage II w/ Flywheel, Toyo Proxes T1R's, nicnacs and whatnots
'11 335is - Daily driver
'13 FR-S 6-Speed -
post #6 of 288 Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
tour96se is an unknown quantity at this point

nice, you arent too far away,i'm down in oneonta and also have a beta tib. if you need any advice or tips hit me up. i have a few parts for sale as well. btw, i'm with them, dont plasti dip it black, white maybe but not black. i'd also put the badges back until you can get the holes filled. looks like someone stole them otherwise.
post #7 of 288 Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Husam2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, you're so lucky! I wish i hadn't bought this POS Tiburon that i have, and you sure got a hell of a deal compared to me!

i got mine for $1000, spent about 1500~? on repairs (body work etc) and still have engine to replace, as it turned out it's knocking (didn't hear because exhaust was broken) and i have to fix the central door locks, get a key made for the car, and fix the power steering leaks!
Plus, i thought i'd like the car, but compared to my Audi TT, this is a nightmare! It's slower than my mum's SUV!

Well, good luck with your car, and i really think you shouldn't Plastidip it black. It will look very ricey and a Tiburon wouldn't pull that look. just my opinion.

Last edited by Husam2012; 08-12-2013 at 01:58 AM.
post #8 of 288 Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

KelConquer will become famous soon enoughKelConquer will become famous soon enough
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
Agreed on the plasti-dipping... not sure if the paint is rough and we're just not seeing it, but I'd put a shine on that Tib and leave the paint alone. If you decide in a couple years that you'd like a Gen coup and try to sell you car, it going to be a tough sell.

Other than my 2 cents on the paint, it's a great looking car! Take care of it and it will take care of you. Btw, the timing belt is pretty easy.. or a lot of dealers run T-belt specials for decent prices.
Unless it has some catastrophic failure I plan on driving it til it's dead, at 130k it wont be worth much, especially 2 years from now. And I have a lot planned for this car over time so I'll probably end up growing very attached to it. I'll look into timing belt deals, I'd like to tackle it myself for the experience but I'll see what's out there. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Welcome, fellow rider. You picked a surprisingly good road trip car, as it can fit 3 bikes in the back easily, and more if you start breaking them down.
Good to know someone has fit 3! I wouldn't wanna be the unlucky guy stuck in back with 3 bikes haha. I've fit 2 so far but I need a grill over my JL for comfort before I put any more back there. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tour96se View Post
nice, you arent too far away,i'm down in oneonta and also have a beta tib. if you need any advice or tips hit me up. i have a few parts for sale as well. btw, i'm with them, dont plasti dip it black, white maybe but not black. i'd also put the badges back until you can get the holes filled. looks like someone stole them otherwise.
Awesome thanks! PM me concerning what you have for sale, I may be interested. The badges were removed in preparation for plasti-dip. They may or may not go back on after, if not I'll fill the holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husam2012 View Post
Well, good luck with your car, and i really think you shouldn't Plastidip it black. It will look very ricey and a Tiburon wouldn't pull that look. just my opinion.
Thanks for checking it out everyone, I appreciate your input. Unfortunately my absolute least favorite color is red so there's no question on it being dipped. I figured you guys would hate hearing that before I even posted, sorry! Syracuse is also flooded with police and this nice shiny red car stands out way too much for my liking, there's always someone looking and I've already gotten a ticket in a month. I don't really want the attention. It will be done in good taste though, I have a good plan for it and I wouldn't want a shotty looking car. It'll be a mix of black and gunmetal gray.

Thanks for checking it out guys, if you're local feel free to PM me to meet up and ride

"Broken things break other things."
post #9 of 288 Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelConquer View Post
I wouldn't wanna be the unlucky guy stuck in back with 3 bikes haha.
Well, I've never done 3 bikes + 3 people. Just 3 bikes + 2 people. I'm sure 3 and 3 could be done though.

'11 335is - Daily driver
'13 FR-S 6-Speed -
post #10 of 288 Old 08-12-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow 2K2GT View Post

Thank you for the motivation, I'm happy to be part of such a helpful and friendly community!

post #11 of 288 Old 08-12-2013, 11:40 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Tweaked Tay has a spectacular aura aboutTweaked Tay has a spectacular aura about

Looks very clean, my son...

And welcome from the Great White North, to the site.

If you ever need any help with anything involving your car, you come to the right place. There be some knowledgeable folk about.

Bye Bye Tib, Hello Renesis!

post #12 of 288 Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the warm welcoming guys.

I'm ordering the Gates timing kit (Belt, idler, tensioner and water pump) along with the alternator and PS belts, from what I've collected Gates seems reputable enough to trust? Does this include their water pump?

I'm also thinking about an AC delete so it'd be convenient to do it all at once along with the correct belt for no compressor... I'd rather have windows down than AC on and I prefer to have the extra room around the engine bay... needs a recharge anyways. This wont cause issues with my defrost/etc right?

Here was Wednesday night's project... 3 hours in the dipping station (ghetto attic/fan setup) Unfortunately in the 2 minutes I had my freshly dipped wipers sitting on the ground against my car while I installed the cowl my friend came along and trampled all f*&%ing over them (it was dark, but geeeez was I pissed) So the wipers need to be redone eventually.

Slowly turning black

post #13 of 288 Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 PM
MVN
NewTiburon.com Professional

MVN will become famous soon enough

your headlights look a little hazed.....

if you need a new set hit me up...

OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM - 2010
OPERATION NEW DAWN 2011

228TH ENG CO
UNITED STATES ARMY
post #14 of 288 Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVN View Post
your headlights look a little hazed.....

if you need a new set hit me up...
I'm gonna give them a good cleaning today actually, you're welcome to PM me a picture/price though as I wouldn't mind having a spare set to work with as I have time and money...

Dipped gills, door handles and fuel door yesterday, unfortunately I put the bolts into the fuel door too soon (about 2 hours after the last coat) and it grabbed the plasti-dip and started pulling/twisting it On top of that, for one of the "fake" bolts the nut fell into my fender while putting it back together so at that point I said F-it and I'll have to re-do it another day.

Gills and handles look awesome though, I'll post a picture in a bit. I mainly post from work when I'm bored so sorry for the shotty updates. Still looking for any experience with the Gates kit, I'll be ordering it today or tomorrow

post #15 of 288 Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Gills

Going to get a new nut today and more dip...

If anyone has a fuel door for sale please let me know, I'd love to get rid of this huge crack.

New picture up top along with one of the engine bay, excuse the filth I'm hitting her with some scrubbing bubbles this weekend (which works like magic, fyi)

Last edited by KelConquer; 08-22-2013 at 09:33 AM.
post #16 of 288 Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
mosul210 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the site. If I may ask what are your goals for the vehicle? For example I just dont understand the AC delete? I could never get my wife to ride in our vehicle without AC in the middle of the day, not if we had another vehicle with AC as an option.

Plasti-dip is a cheap mod and it has its advantages but it does not take the place of a proper paint job. I don't mean to sound critical I'm just a fan of a clean looking Tiburon. Either way I wish you the best of luck.
post #17 of 288 Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosul210 View Post
Welcome to the site. If I may ask what are your goals for the vehicle? For example I just dont understand the AC delete? I could never get my wife to ride in our vehicle without AC in the middle of the day, not if we had another vehicle with AC as an option.

Plasti-dip is a cheap mod and it has its advantages but it does not take the place of a proper paint job. I don't mean to sound critical I'm just a fan of a clean looking Tiburon. Either way I wish you the best of luck.
Goals are posted at the end of my first post. As of now I'm catching up with maintenance and doing small things to make me smile when she's in view. Exhaust in a month or two, turbo in a few years if all goes as planned.

I did an AC delete in my previous Subaru and it yielded about 40-50lbs of weight loss with compressor/condensor and all lines removed. I feel like my AC is just about at the end of it's life and I don't like AC enough to bother recharging it. I'd rather delete it and gain some room to move around while working on other projects. I've never been a personal fan of AC honestly, idk what's wrong with me but I'd rather roll my window down even if it's a lesser effect.

And concerning the plasti-dip again... I hate red. It's my least favorite color, always has been. Why did I buy a red car? It's a sweet car at a great price, and he's my friend/roommate so you can't get much of an easier transaction. I don't have the funds for a proper paint job and if I did it wouldn't be done myself, and I enjoy doing my own work. Next weekend I'll be doing the hood/cabin/trunk and then fenders/doors the weekend after.

Why do you oppose plasti-dip? Just out of curiosity. Stay tuned and thank you for the welcoming

post #18 of 288 Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

I was about to do an AC delete as well. I live in Mississippi though, so it's ever so slightly different than doing it in NY. So instead I bought another car so I can take the AC out of that one.

'11 335is - Daily driver
'13 FR-S 6-Speed -
post #19 of 288 Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Updated pictures and goals, doing some things this weekend

post #20 of 288 Old 09-15-2013, 09:41 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

krownmee51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Did you take your gills of to paint? if you did, can you show/tell how? and what paint did you use ?
post #21 of 288 Old 09-16-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownmee51 View Post
Did you take your gills of to paint? if you did, can you show/tell how? and what paint did you use ?
Nope I left them right on, just used tape and paper to mask them off. I did use plasti-dip though, so I could have just peeled/rubbed the over spray away.

This weekend's project turned into something a little different on the rear diffuser, decided to paint the license plate area as well and I'm happy with how it came out. I haven't seen this done so let me know how you guys feel about it!

Rustoleum satin black and semi-gloss clear.

post #22 of 288 Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

ClearZero06TibGS is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice tib man. I think plasti-dip is a great solution to creating a color scheme for your car especially if you don't want it to be permanent. The stuff lasts quite a long time and can be easily removed if needed.

I will say one thing since you're considering turbo charging. Unless you plan on building the motor to accommodate the turbo, be careful how much boost you plan on running. Keep in mind that an N/A motor will have a higher compression ratio than a factory turbo motor will. This can lead to higher amounts of compression which can produce more power but could also cause serious motor issues under high strain since the motor was never meant to accommodate boost. There's a lot more to building a turbo setup than just slapping the turbo kit on. If you knew this already, I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but since you stated you were learning, figured I would throw my two cents in.

Looking good nonetheless, keep it up!

'06 Hyundai Tiburon GS - Stock. Work in progress

post #23 of 288 Old 09-18-2013, 12:45 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ghodai is an unknown quantity at this point

For his sake and also my sake... Would plastidip hold up on the hood of a Tiburon?

Hey man, keep those rims nice! I would give my tool set to get those on my black Tibby... Then I would need to borrow them to get the rims on >.>
post #24 of 288 Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

ClearZero06TibGS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghodai View Post
For his sake and also my sake... Would plastidip hold up on the hood of a Tiburon?

Hey man, keep those rims nice! I would give my tool set to get those on my black Tibby... Then I would need to borrow them to get the rims on >.>
Plasti-dip, when applied properly, can last years before being peeled off. People paint their entire cars with the stuff. It can withstand high pressure washing as well. No fear of the car wash

Check out www.dipyourcar.com for more info. They also have a channel on youtube with lots of tips, tricks, and facts as well. Very cool stuff.

A buddy of mine is trying to convince me to plasti-dip my whole car black, but I won't do it. I really like my color scheme so far.

'06 Hyundai Tiburon GS - Stock. Work in progress

post #25 of 288 Old 09-18-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearZero06TibGS View Post
Nice tib man. I think plasti-dip is a great solution to creating a color scheme for your car especially if you don't want it to be permanent. The stuff lasts quite a long time and can be easily removed if needed.

I will say one thing since you're considering turbo charging. Unless you plan on building the motor to accommodate the turbo, be careful how much boost you plan on running. Keep in mind that an N/A motor will have a higher compression ratio than a factory turbo motor will. This can lead to higher amounts of compression which can produce more power but could also cause serious motor issues under high strain since the motor was never meant to accommodate boost. There's a lot more to building a turbo setup than just slapping the turbo kit on. If you knew this already, I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but since you stated you were learning, figured I would throw my two cents in.

Looking good nonetheless, keep it up!
Thanks a lot for your feedback! When it comes to the turbocharging, my roommate has an SRT4 pushing around 350 and I don't have any interest running with that thing, it's a monster. I can't give an accurate HP goal as of right now because although I understand there are many supporting mods that need to be made along with the turbo, I still have to learn what does what, how to maintain a proper AFR, etc etc. There's a ton of math behind it and I'm reading around taking it all in a little at a time.

I'm not sure what I could gain with 5 or 6lbs but ideally I'd like to be in the ballpark of 230-250, whatever is safe with stock internals. Thanks for the comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghodai View Post

I think I'm due to put my money where my mouth is and tackle my hood this weekend. I've done a few body parts just to see how they'd hold up and how quick they'd get dirty (quick!) plus I've never used plasti-dip prior to this car so I had to get a grip on how it sprays/etc on smaller parts.

Other than the awkward texture of plasti-dip which attracts dirt quite easily (but don't our cars get dirty quick anyways?!) I'm all about it, I'm real excited to finish this project although I've hardly begun lol. It's tough to get it off unless you peel from the edge so I'll be sure it's nice and secure with 5 or 6 coats. Good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearZero06TibGS View Post
Plasti-dip, when applied properly, can last years before being peeled off. People paint their entire cars with the stuff. It can withstand high pressure washing as well. No fear of the car wash

Check out www.dipyourcar.com for more info. They also have a channel on youtube with lots of tips, tricks, and facts as well. Very cool stuff.

A buddy of mine is trying to convince me to plasti-dip my whole car black, but I won't do it. I really like my color scheme so far.
You can also add dipyourcar on Facebook, they post pictures regularly Spot on though! Thanks for the comments guys, stay tuned this weekend!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2004, plastidip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.