Axe Ex14s, 18x8+42

Nankang NS20s, 215/35/R18

BC Racing BR Coilovers

Spacers (20mm front, 40mm Rear)

Trajet twin pot callipers

MTEC dimpled and grooved discs

Lemförder droplinks and tie rod ends

2008 SIII i4 Engine Swap

Spoiler, rear wiper, radio antenna, badges, boot keyhole and front plate mount removed

Custom eyelids

Custom foglight surrounds

Magnetic plate

Hawk 6000k HIDs

LED switchbacks and fogs

Tinted Windows (20% rear, 5% side rear)

Tinted brakelights, sides and fogs

Aluminium mesh grill

Slave cylinder restrictor valve removed

White interior with LEDs

Sony MEX-N4000BT

It was time to update the OP, haha. If you want to know what it was before, PM me and I'll give you my life story, which is pretty much what it was.

Here is my car when I bought it, a stock Hyundai Coupe, or Tiburon in other parts of the world, Tuscani in Korea.

Wasn't really interested in modding at first but started watching a certain Australian car show and it started to take off later, but to begin with I did minor things, painted exterior trim, tinted brakelights and fogs.

Early 2015 I bought switchback sidelights and HIDs.

I also bought some black aluminium mesh off of eBay and replaced the old plastic triangle grill with it, and removed the spoiler. (Excuse the phone pics)

In March I got some Jade-R wheels with tyres second hand, and whilst they were on the way I did the garage door seal DIY and some interior trim painting. Here are the results...

(That garage door seal is looking awesome)

About that time someone sat on my car in the uni car park and left a massive dent in it, cracked paint and all. So I found a good condition replacement with hardly any rust or scratches, certainly in better condition than the old one. It was £45. At this point I had just had my windows retinted. (Photography hopefully getting better at this point)

Silver, haha.

Sobiech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by InspectorPoirot; 06-23-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 04-22-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Poirot's Coupe/Tiburon (cont.)

Then refurbed and painted the Jade-Rs over easter.

These photos and more can be found on my Imgur page.

My favourites you can look at on my Flickr page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by InspectorPoirot; 08-04-2015 at 02:53 PM.
post #3 of 96 Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
dominicantibby
Garage
Re: Poirot's Coupe/Tiburon

nice looking tib, clean

post #4 of 96 Old 04-22-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks dude

post #5 of 96 Old 05-19-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quick update with a few more basic things. Next week hopefully my oil leak will be solved, the plan is to have a reconditioned engine block put in along with a new clutch and air conditioning unit. Just waiting for a price now, bracing myself haha. Also spent a couple of afternoons with wet and dry, restoring my headlights.

Started a photography page, by the way

And some progress pics.
Before:

(Hello)

After:

Requiem Alderon likes this.

post #6 of 96 Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
NitrousTibby
Loven every bit of your post! Mighty Car Mods is the best thing I could had ever come across.. Great show and cars! Keep up the great work look forward to seeing more of it.
post #7 of 96 Old 05-19-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrousTibby View Post
Loven every bit of your post! Mighty Car Mods is the best thing I could had ever come across.. Great show and cars! Keep up the great work look forward to seeing more of it.
Cheers! Yes and same, if I hadn't started watching them I doubt I would have ever got into cars and mods...

post #8 of 96 Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
meotjaengi is just really nicemeotjaengi is just really nicemeotjaengi is just really nice

The wheels transform the whole look of the car (for the better)! I think you have a real talent for photography. Keep those pictures coming!

I smell blood...
post #9 of 96 Old 05-19-2015, 06:31 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
TiburonGT03

Looks really nice! love that interior also. Really makes the painted pieces pop out. Jealous of the LED switchbacks also. I want to get myself some of those. What are your future plans for the car?

Turbo V6!
Checkout My Member Profile
post #10 of 96 Old 05-19-2015, 10:01 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Flying__Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! That is a pretty nice car, mate. I especially love what you've done with the headlights! Keep up the good work.
post #11 of 96 Old 05-20-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meotjaengi View Post
The wheels transform the whole look of the car (for the better)! I think you have a real talent for photography. Keep those pictures coming!
Thank you. I know, wheels are so important haha. I must admit I'm a fan of the simple five spoke design, looks OEM yet not at the same time. That's very kind of you, at the moment I'm using a basic crossover camera, I'd love to get a DSLR to start taking something professional but it's either that or mods, and guess what comes first, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiburonGT03 View Post
Looks really nice! love that interior also. Really makes the painted pieces pop out. Jealous of the LED switchbacks also. I want to get myself some of those. What are your future plans for the car?
Thanks dude, yes I love the white and black haha I think I saw Drummer's car a while back and thought it looked great. I think he had the wheels you were interested in getting so that might be worth having a look at too. As for the switchbacks yes I love them, had to splice into the sidelights on one side and then run a wire across to the other as UK spec have 1156 bulbs rather than 1157. I think all you guys have to do is get the bulb from DD and then swap it. Jealous.

Future plans are smaller tyres (these are 235 and rub with one person in the back, ouch) a guard roll and springs/coilovers depending on what the car looks like at that point. Also planning to shave the numberplate mount, plug up all the holes in the boot, repair every dent on the car and then have it resprayed in white, partly inspired by your good self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying__Fox View Post
Wow! That is a pretty nice car, mate. I especially love what you've done with the headlights! Keep up the good work.
Thank you, nothing special I guess although it was slightly more challenging on a UK spec car (see above haha) Definitely improves the look of the car though.

One cheeky post for everyone... UK spec trumps you on one aspect though - we get clear corner headlights from the factory! HAHA!

post #12 of 96 Old 05-31-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Did some interior and exterior painting (curbed one of my newly painted wheels *sniff*, spent an afternoon getting that fixed up). I'm fairly happy with how the interior is now.

The grey, English weather seemed to abate just at the end of the evening, and Wiltshire was left with a wonderful golden hour. Only got a few a photos I liked. It's hard to believe this is same road on which I took those dark, broody pictures only a few months ago.

Finally, a sort of before and after thing...

Last edited by InspectorPoirot; 06-01-2015 at 03:14 PM.
post #13 of 96 Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Aaand back to typical English weather... though as I type the sun's just come out again, haha.

post #14 of 96 Old 06-04-2015, 10:11 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
tibJohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

Beautiful, do you have any plans for performance mods or are you focused on maintaining the aesthetic appeal and keeping her cruisin on the road?
post #15 of 96 Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibJohnson View Post
Beautiful, do you have any plans for performance mods or are you focused on maintaining the aesthetic appeal and keeping her cruisin on the road?

Need a fully working engine first haha but I would be interested in turbocharging her but that's years down the road when i can actually afford the insurance (on top of everything else). Plenty fast enough at the moment though

post #16 of 96 Old 06-07-2015, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Bought an engine!!! According to the ad it has 28k miles but there's no way of knowing how good it is until it's in the car and running... it's compressing on all cylinders and turns over, that's all I know for now. It's going in on Tuesday.

Also went to a barbecue at a forest park with some friends yesterday, was asked to bring my car round to use to play music, haha, felt pretty proud - compliments from friends and people walking by, believe it or not!

post #17 of 96 Old 06-10-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

So, work has happened over the past two days! As mentioned I bought an engine from a scrapyard for £500 plus delivery which was advertised as having only 28,000 miles on it (from a 2008 Coupe).

Here it is in typical scrapyard fashion with a tyre to be disposed of:

My local mechanic had already removed the clutch that was on there and fitted a new one. Here is a picture of the plate. It doesn't look like it's done only 28,000 miles...

So as of now I am sending stern emails asking for £150 refunded to me. I'm not giving in until I get it. Sending the clutch away to have a lecturer at an automotive college confirm it's mileage tomorrow. But nonetheless I decided to risk using this engine and see how things turned out. A bit risky, I know.

I should mention once again I am a complete newbie to the world of mechanics, but would like to think that the experience of helping my mechanic swap the engines has really broadened my knowledge. The driveshafts had to come out from underneath, the radiator, manifold, air filter etc plus of course all the engine mounts and electronics. The scrapyard had just sliced all the wires from the engine and broken two of the injectors so we were using the ones from my old engine as well as the manifold and a couple of bits that weren't on the 'full engine'. Did a lot of passing tools but in doing so have learnt a great deal about what to use and how to use it, so all in all I'm very happy, helped guide the engines in and out, was running around removing bits off the old engine and putting on the new bits. We also had to move the gearbox over to the new engine and I was given the joyous task of cleaning out the bell housing Here is a photo of the old engine ready to be lifted:

And a quick shot of the engine I'd bought, on it's way to it's new home. (just taking a quick pause to let it steady itself).

Reconnected the driveshafts, got the wheels back on, reconnected most of the electronics and the manifold so we could test her. Had a couple of tries and nothing happened, but after plugging in a few loose wires, 'VRROOOOMM', the deafening sound of an engine with only half an exhaust, lol. But there was no clanking, no smoke, and it sounded extremely smooth, which when considering it had been moved around for nearly a week and had a load of old oil in it, was brilliant to hear. My mechanic was really pleased. So that was two days work and we finished there.

I will be back tomorrow morning to fit in the last few bits, fluids etc, plus unfortunately needs a new compressor for the AC, which is falling apart, also a manifold gasket wouldn't be a bad shout either. But all in all, despite a bit of false advertising, I am still very happy and in high hopes for tomorrow - with any luck it all goes well and I will be driving around in a happy car!

Plus, according to the engine code, we should be seeing another 10HP or so. Whoopie!

post #18 of 96 Old 06-10-2015, 06:19 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Flying__Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Its great to see that everything is coming along with your Tib. I hope you had fun helping with the engine change!

Awesome job on being the life of the party, by the way. Woot!
post #19 of 96 Old 06-11-2015, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying__Fox View Post
Awesome job on being the life of the party, by the way. Woot!
I did have alot of fun and so did my mechanic which is always good haha. And yep life of the party haha, I'm happy to post away regardless of how few people take any notice!

post #20 of 96 Old 06-11-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

I now have a working car. Last few bits added this morning, engine tested, then took it home after a test drive about midday. I realised that one of the wheels got a chunk taken out of it in the garage, so restored that for a few hours.

Later in the evening I went for a 30 mile drive around the rolling Wiltshire countryside. The new engine seems to be quieter and smoother, and of course the clutch and gearbox feel very light

Had a couple of appreciative looks on the way back, i guess driving at this time in the evening brings out the best in the car. Going back one last time tomorrow to change the oil, although this engine seems to have been recently serviced and the oil in there is pristine - but best to do it anyway. And finally.... the bill.....

post #21 of 96 Old 06-12-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Trying to find an emoticon to suit my mood today...

and

For new parts, labour, fluids and VAT... £627.49!! Plus the engine of course and hopefully I'm getting some money back on that!

So I'm going for the MOT on Tuesday and hopefully everything should be good.

Finally, if anyone's reading this... Even if you don't give a monkey's bottom I'd still like someone to say I'm doing a sort of good thing haha

post #22 of 96 Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
KelConquer will become famous soon enoughKelConquer will become famous soon enough
Garage

Nice updates! Looks like you've done a lot of work lately. What type of clutch did you replace the one from the new engine with? Sorry if I missed that part. That's a good looking new engine, I hope it serves you well! Your barbecue pictures got me excited to go camping this weekend

"Broken things break other things."
post #23 of 96 Old 06-12-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelConquer View Post
Nice updates! Looks like you've done a lot of work lately. What type of clutch did you replace the one from the new engine with? Sorry if I missed that part. That's a good looking new engine, I hope it serves you well! Your barbecue pictures got me excited to go camping this weekend
Thank you dude, hopefully now with this work out the way and if it keeps going nicely I can get back to doing some more mods to make the car mine

It's a Valeo clutch and so far it's feeling very nice. Considering doing the slave cylinder restrictor valve removal, just wish the pics were still on that thread.

Hope you enjoy yourself! Yes the barbecue was fun I managed to get three good burgers despite it being not being a very hot bbq - and what with sunshine, trees and having my car parked on the grass a few feet away blaring out music I felt like it was something out of Forza Horizon. Is that sad? haha

post #24 of 96 Old 06-12-2015, 11:58 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
KelConquer will become famous soon enoughKelConquer will become famous soon enough
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorPoirot View Post
Thank you dude, hopefully now with this work out the way and if it keeps going nicely I can get back to doing some more mods to make the car mine

It's a Valeo clutch and so far it's feeling very nice. Considering doing the slave cylinder restrictor valve removal, just wish the pics were still on that thread.

Hope you enjoy yourself! Yes the barbecue was fun I managed to get three good burgers despite it being not being a very hot bbq - and what with sunshine, trees and having my car parked on the grass a few feet away blaring out music I felt like it was something out of Forza Horizon. Is that sad? haha
Well I've done the delay valve mod myself and it's super easy to do. I give it a 2/10, it's just about as easy as changing the air filter in an OEM airbox. I found a picture on google of the slave cylinder, I'd have used one of my own and photoshopped the steps onto it but our firewall at work blocks imgur/photobucket/etc - so I have to use a picture that's already hosted somewhere.

Tiburon slave cylinder^

First some notes, this is a hydraulic system so once you open it you will lose brake fluid, probably most of it depending on whether or not you decide to find a way to plug the line while you work on the cylinder itself. It's just basic dot3 brake fluid, so I took the opportunity to drain mine out and replace with fresh fluid. You may want to stuff rugs/papertowels below the cylinder to protect the trans/surrounding area from being soaked in brake fluid (spilling some wont hurt much, but keep it away from rubber and ESPECIALLY paint!)

Next note is if you have the oem intake, you'll need to remove most of that to make the job easier. If you have a CAI/SRI no worries, you can work around it (sorry, I'm in advanced reply mode so can't see your mods right now)

Let me explain some things in the picture above - there's a small yellow "HEL" tag on the hydraulic clutch line, right behind that just barely visible is a "banjo" bolt at the very rear of the slave cylinder which mounts it. This is what the delay valve will come out of when this bolt is removed (the delay valve is a tiny spring with a small metal "crown" on the end, the assembly is about the size of a finger nail) The rest of the picture is self explanatory - a rod which connects to the clutch fork via a simple cotter pin, and two bolts that mount the slave cylinder to trans. Then a bleed valve sticking out on bottom right.

1- Crack open the banjo bolt just enough so that you can loosen it easily later, keep it tight enough to retain fluid for now.

2- Remove the cotter pin from the cylinder rod/clutch fork.

3- Loosen the 2 bolts mounting the cylinder, leave them tight enough to keep the cylinder in place for now.

4- Prepare for brake fluid leakage (quick note - a turkey baster makes it easy to remove fluid from the reservoir - less to spill out and make a mess, and if it's dirty it wont gunk up the system this way) then completely remove the banjo bolt. The hydraulic line should come right off.

5- Completely remove the 2 bolts mounting the cylinder.

6- You should now be able to pick the cylinder up to hold in your hand. Slowly push the rod inward, keep an eye out for the delay valve which will fall out through the hole where the banjo bolt was. I saved mine just in case, but trust me you'll never want to put it back in.

7- Re-assemble in reverse but don't hook the cotter pin back up to the rod/clutch fork yet, we'll need this undone for now. Mount the cylinder via 2 bolts, then attach the hydraulic line and banjo bolt. Now all you have left to do is bleed the system.

8- Open the bleed valve a tiny bit, fill the reservoir with new brake fluid, and allow the fluid to refill the hydraulic line as air is pushed out through the open bleed valve. This is called "gravity bleeding". Once you see fluid coming out of the valve close it up tight, we're done with that.

9- Since you didn't put the cotter pin back on the rod and clutch fork yet, we're gonna pump that slave cylinder rod in full, slow, strokes inward. Keep an eye on the clutch fluid reservoir (cap must be off for this process), you should see bubbles being pumped through the line into the reservoir. This is called "reverse bleeding" and only requires one person to do, and also much easier than the traditional --2 person job, 1 pump the clutch pedal, while the other opens and closes the bleed screw-- Pump that rod a few times just to make sure all of the air has been expelled through the system, and you should be good to go! Put that cotter pin back on and ensure all bolts are tight, take her for a nice ride with crisp and defined engagement.

It looks like a long process but should take you no longer than half an hour including the bleed process. And I wouldn't have take the time to write up the process if it wasn't 100% WORTH IT! You'll love the new clutch feel. Good luck and feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

"Broken things break other things."
post #25 of 96 Old 06-12-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

InspectorPoirot
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelConquer View Post
Well I've done the delay valve mod myself and it's super easy to do. Good luck and feel free to let me know if you have any questions!
Dude you are a legend. I was just unsure of a couple of things and also wanted to check that the US spec car has the same kind of thing as the UK (silly to think it would be different, but you know, just in case) but that was an awesome walkthrough. And yes haha it looks straightforward, after the work I've helped do on the car it doesn't intimidate me in the slightest. As soon as I get a spare afternoon I will be doing this. Thanks again
KelConquer likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coupe, england, marcus, poirot, warner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.