Official Army recruiting/ Military Info thread - Page 2 - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #26 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Pete: The Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ready2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another level
(Thread Starter)
Re: Official Army recruiting/ Military info thread

And to state a fact....more people die of murders in large city's like LA than in the desert. So statistically, it's safer to be there than some places in the states.

And ANYBODY can make it through basic training. It's mostly a mind-game. Yes, there are a lot of physical aspects to it as well, but they TRAIN you for it, they don't just expect you to be able to do everything right away.

Military Moderator Syndicate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FIRST DUAL SUPERCHARGED HYUNDAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Ready2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another levelReady2Play is on another level
(Thread Starter)

bump............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 10:54 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

AADA Driver has a spectacular aura aboutAADA Driver has a spectacular aura aboutAADA Driver has a spectacular aura about

How about JAG corps? Curious if you have any info on the process other than the standard "fill out the forms, interview, go to JAG school" that the websites show. It's a lot different than the enlistment process, I assume. If you don't know, it's no big deal. Also, what role do JAGs play in the regular business of the armed forces? I mean, they are officers, but do they lead troops or is that left up to normal officers?

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of.....'
government except all the others that have been tried.",

-- Sir Winston Churchill...............
post #29 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADA Driver
How about JAG corps? Curious if you have any info on the process other than the standard "fill out the forms, interview, go to JAG school" that the websites show. It's a lot different than the enlistment process, I assume. If you don't know, it's no big deal. Also, what role do JAGs play in the regular business of the armed forces? I mean, they are officers, but do they lead troops or is that left up to normal officers?

Officers don't really LEAD troops at all. They direct and are put in charge of LARGE numbers of troops, but enlisted soldiers lead troops. The JAG corps plays a role in everything in the military. It is definately a busy job. You would need to get your commision to do that, so you'd be going to college...military paid of coarse. But you would end up being in charge of JAG troops, say as a JAG Commander or something. Does this help at all?

post #30 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 11:14 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

AADA Driver has a spectacular aura aboutAADA Driver has a spectacular aura aboutAADA Driver has a spectacular aura about

I'm graduating in May. I guess my question is more like what role do they play in the military, aside from courts martial and providing advice on things like breaking an apartment lease when someone gets deployed. I understand that kind of thing because it's the same stuff that civilians do. I really don't know a whole lot about how the military functions, like in how decisions are made and who leads troops, and how JAGs fall into that.

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of.....'
government except all the others that have been tried.",

-- Sir Winston Churchill...............
post #31 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Well, there are soldiers who work in JAG too, so you wouldn't necessarily need to be an officer. Your schooling will get you a better bonus either way. JAG does a lot of stuff outside of courts. Everything from Wills to Powers of Attorney. Anything and everything on the legal side of the house that you would see in the outside world, they deal with. They are like the city counsel, courts, taxes, customs, city hall, and records keeping all rolled up into one. Their role is one of the largest in the military, as they hold together our legal structure. You'd still get to do normal Army stuff, especially if you go in as an enlisted soldier. Your primary job and focus would just be the legal side of the house.

post #32 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

And you can be an attorney for JAG, a Judge, or anything else thath you would see in the civilian world in the same sector.

post #33 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 11:26 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Deweey is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should add onto the first post that if you're not willing to fight and DIE for our country, then dont bother joining.
post #34 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweey
I think you should add onto the first post that if you're not willing to fight and DIE for our country, then dont bother joining.

Well....that should pretty much be a given. But as I have already stated...what is seen in the news is WAY overstated. Statistically, more people are lost in the streets of LA to murder.

Last edited by Ready2Play; 11-25-2006 at 11:32 PM.
post #35 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 11:35 PM
NewTiburon.com God

InkTheFlesh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic_Assassin
I debated posting in this thread but feel for it to fair that I should. First let me preface my comments by saying I have the utmost respect for everyone in our armed forces and certainly appreciate the work, risk, etc involved. That being said, however I would like to add a few points.

While the money, training, and perks are great it is not fair to say that in most cases the military is just a normal 9 to 5 job. I have had many friends in numerous branches that would certainly not agree with that. You never know when your unit will be sent to the DMZ in Korea for instance. I had two friends who ended up there. They worked 16 hour days 6 days a week on average.

While it is true that just enlisting doesn't guarantee you a trip to Afghanistan or Iraq the odds are certainly high as the wars there stand currently. That may change in the near future but anyone enlisting now should be well aware that they might spend an indefinate amount of time in the Middle East.

I get sick days at my job. From my understanding of military "sick time" if you aren't vomiting wildly or delusional with 105 degree fever they more or less give you the walk it off attitude.

Also, the time off is ok, but there is little chance that you will get Christmas or Thanksgiving or your birthday off. Sometimes maybe, but don't count on it being a regular tradition.

Some people don't realize how much discipline, physical work, etc it takes to get through basic training and further. 6 inch squares and sheets you can bounce a quarter off of simply isn't realistic for some people. Now I understand things have changed over the years. There are stress cards and such, drill seargents are nicer, etc. but still it's not like a civilian job much of the time.

I could go on but people need to research for themselves. I just don't want someone looking at the military through rose colored glasses then getting to basic and realizing they made a huge mistake. I remember the recruiters that wouldn't leave me alone when I was a senior in high school back in the stone age. They could always list all the positives but you would never hear them say anything about some of the negatives. It was a sales job on their part. All they want is for you to sign the dotted line so their numbers look better. They don't care what happens after that. I'm not saying that is what you are doing Ready2PLay, just speaking from my experience.

But again, I greatly appreciate all of you in the military and your hard work, dedication, etc. Many people have the best time of their lives in the military, meet lifelong friends, greatly improve their future, etc. Some people get stationed in Germany and get to tear up the Autobahn. Some people get stationed in places like Hawaii. I know that happens and I don't want to take away from it, but a lot of folks end up in some craphole desert, or tundra, or stuck in a guard tower 16 hours a day, or get a limb blown off. The rewards are great, but as with any great reward there is pontentially great risk.

I won't post anything else. I don't want to turn your thread into a debate over joining the military. I just wanted to make sure that people consider all the facts. Thanks!
Ok, where do i start. First, I was in Korea, but not the DMZ. I'll tell you, it was probably one of the best years of my life. I won't go into details, but I enjoyed just about every day of my 365 days in country. And For the most part, Korea is a great assignment, except for the very small few who pull DMZ duty.

Little chance of getting Thanksgiving/XMas/BDays off? What are you talking about? Unless you are deployed, all major federal holidays are days off. There is the chance of pulling 24 hour duty that day, but that only happens once in a while. In my 6 years in, I never once had 24 hour duty on a holiday.

Sheets you can bounce a quarter off of? That's pretty much a myth/legend of the military. Yea, the beds need to be made to a high standard while in basic training, but it's not hard to accomplish. You'd be suprised what you are capable of when it boils down to it. Basic training is pretty much just a mind fu(k. As long as you are mentally prepared, you will be fine. When I went in, I was one of the most undisciplined, unathletis persons out there. but BT whipped me into shape, both mentally and phisically. That's what it is for. It is designed to take any type of person and mold them into a soldier.

As a finishing note, I've been out of the service for a little over a year now. There are friendships and bond I made there that I would NEVER have been able to make had I just been a civilian. It's hard to describe the type of friendships you make in the service if you've never served before. There are days I miss it. But then there are days where I wish I would have taken a different route in life. Like others have said, it's all in what you make it.

'09 Silverado Crew Cab
post #36 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 11:35 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Deweey is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea its a given, but I think thats the main reason why you should join the military. To offer your life in servitude of this country, not for bonuses or free education. What annoys me are those servicemen nowadays that joined the military for all the wrong reasons.
post #37 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Well put CarbonBluetiful. I'm glad I have some back up on the boards so these folks know I'm not talkin out of my a**. Most people seriously have a misunderstanding of the military, and the life you lead while in it. That is one of the main reasons I started this thread.

post #38 of 202 Old 11-25-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweey
Yea its a given, but I think thats the main reason why you should join the military. To offer your life in servitude of this country, not for bonuses or free education. What annoys me are those servicemen nowadays that joined the military for all the wrong reasons.
Yeah, you're right. It annoys me too if that is a persons sole reason for joining. I am just trying to show what the military CAN offer them in return for their selfles service. Hell, I didn't get a dime when I signed up, and hardly got paid **** either for the first year or so. But it does take heart to actually do this job.

post #39 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 01:38 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

peter8d9 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Play
Officers don't really LEAD troops at all. They direct and are put in charge of LARGE numbers of troops, but enlisted soldiers lead troops. The JAG corps plays a role in everything in the military. It is definately a busy job. You would need to get your commision to do that, so you'd be going to college...military paid of coarse. But you would end up being in charge of JAG troops, say as a JAG Commander or something. Does this help at all?

Officers don't really LEAD troops? I'm sorry but if you haven't had any officers which were leaders first, managers second then you got the short end of the stick on your share. Officer's first duty is to be a leader. I'm not for one second taking away what the enlisted corps do, or the NCOs. They are invaluable leaders and supervisors as well.

To answer the other person's question, JAG, or JA in the AF go through a program called COT. Commissioned Officer Training which is a shortened maybe 4 week course (can't remember the exact length of time) program which is sort of like Basic training but for doctors, lawyers and chaplains. You are automatically promoted to O-2 and within 6 months are promoted again to O-3. It is the incentive for having an advanced degree in those prospective fields.

The military is a great option for some people but just realize less than 1% of the US population is in the military. Good luck to anyone wanting to serve in the military but just make sure it's something you really want to do.

Just curious R2R, (I'm not accussing you of anything) are there any bonuses for recruiting people?
post #40 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter8d9
Officers don't really LEAD troops? I'm sorry but if you haven't had any officers which were leaders first, managers second then you got the short end of the stick on your share. Officer's first duty is to be a leader. I'm not for one second taking away what the enlisted corps do, or the NCOs. They are invaluable leaders and supervisors as well.....
Just curious R2R, (I'm not accussing you of anything) are there any bonuses for recruiting people?
As I said, yes the officers are in Leadership roles, but it is the enlisted who actually lead the troops. The NCO's are given guidance by officers, and told what needs to be done; but ultimately it is NCO's (enlisted) who hold the job of leadership. However, it is true that all higher ups, whether enlisted or officer, need to maintain the focus that they ARE leaders first. It just always ends up that the enlisted are the ones doing the major part of it.

And on the second question, yes, there is currently an incentive program open to recruit soldiers.

Edit...And by no means am I demeaning officers and the role that they play. They are just not put into a direct role over individual soldiers, which is what I mean by leading troops. They are not put in DIRECT leadership of small groups of enlisted soldiers. But I do understand and agree that their primary duty is to be a leader.

Last edited by Ready2Play; 11-26-2006 at 02:03 AM.
post #41 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 05:56 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

scftw is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed that a lot of the bonuses you were talking about were if you enlisted. I, however, plan to go to college after I graduate high school, and go through Army ROTC. I then want to fly OH-58D's, or maybe Apaches. I eventually want to fly the Little Bird gunships with the 160th. I figured with the OH-58's similarity to Little Birds, that would be my best bet. However, the OH-58 is being replaced soon, which is why I considered Apaches. I know people that have flown Apaches and switched to flying Little Birds.

Anyway, I got side-tracked. My question was, would those bonuses still apply to me even though I'd be going into the Army as an officer, or do they only apply to enlisted?

post #42 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 06:15 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

flatblackstrat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As I said, yes the officers are in Leadership roles, but it is the enlisted who actually lead the troops. The NCO's are given guidance by officers, and told what needs to be done; but ultimately it is NCO's (enlisted) who hold the job of leadership. However, it is true that all higher ups, whether enlisted or officer, need to maintain the focus that they ARE leaders first. It just always ends up that the enlisted are the ones doing the major part of it.

And on the second question, yes, there is currently an incentive program open to recruit soldiers.

Edit...And by no means am I demeaning officers and the role that they play. They are just not put into a direct role over individual soldiers, which is what I mean by leading troops. They are not put in DIRECT leadership of small groups of enlisted soldiers. But I do understand and agree that their primary duty is to be a leader.
I just wanted to point out that recruiters do not receive any money for putting people in the army, but there is an incentive for soldier currently enlisted that are not recruiting and they were also talking about an incentive for civilians before I left the recruiting trail. Another thing that is offered through the army right now is a program that lets you study before you begin your service time, I forgot the exact details but one of the recruiters in my office used it for a high school senior I believe. Just more stuff to ask your recruiter about, try to get all you can when you go in that office.

My tibbys for sale.
post #43 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scftw
I noticed that a lot of the bonuses you were talking about were if you enlisted. I, however, plan to go to college after I graduate high school, and go through Army ROTC. I then want to fly OH-58D's, or maybe Apaches. I eventually want to fly the Little Bird gunships with the 160th. I figured with the OH-58's similarity to Little Birds, that would be my best bet. However, the OH-58 is being replaced soon, which is why I considered Apaches. I know people that have flown Apaches and switched to flying Little Birds.

Anyway, I got side-tracked. My question was, would those bonuses still apply to me even though I'd be going into the Army as an officer, or do they only apply to enlisted?

Look at the bonuses listed....and go doen to the Warrent Officer section. That is what you would want to go into to fly those birds. THere are still bonuses no matter what, not just for enlisted.

post #44 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 07:07 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

scftw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Look at the bonuses listed....and go doen to the Warrent Officer section. That is what you would want to go into to fly those birds. THere are still bonuses no matter what, not just for enlisted.
I don't want to be a warrant officer, though. I'm going in as a 2LT. I'm not sure if you were saying I should be a WO if I want to fly, or were just saying that their bonuses/whatever applied to commissioned officers, as well.

post #45 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 08:49 AM
NewTiburon.com God

GOFISCH is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciated Eratic Assasin's post its good to have another perspective. The best thing he said and I said it also. RESEARCH, know what you want to do in the Service and in civilian life and you won't be sorry. If you aren't sure but feel like you need some direction go for it also.

Pete, I was in for only 3 years and I was an MP.
post #46 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scftw
I don't want to be a warrant officer, though. I'm going in as a 2LT. I'm not sure if you were saying I should be a WO if I want to fly, or were just saying that their bonuses/whatever applied to commissioned officers, as well.

Oh, OK. Yeah, I was suggesting WO because usually that is what people go into when they want to fly. But yes, they have bonuses for officers as well.

post #47 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 12:32 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

kasper22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow the Army has a lot of bonus. Love the Marines thou, reenlisting next month.

2007 GMC SIERRA STEALTH GRAY(2005 SE GONE) myspace.com/kasper1984
post #48 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Good on ya man. I just re-upped back in March for another 4.

post #49 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 05:09 PM
How do you change this?

deez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another leveldeez337 is on another level

I wanted to be a fighter pilot for the longest time, tried to do it but sadly my vision failed the requirements set by the USAF.....

ARK : NGM : MSR : B&G : Top Speed : Lunati : Pioneer : KRD : Apexi : MTX : SFR : Bosch : MidNight Wolfe
post #50 of 202 Old 11-26-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

That's the AF...they have more strict regulations on that sort of thing. You may be able to get into it in the Army. How bad is your vision?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.