User Tag List

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SpeedCheeser has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedCheeser has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedCheeser has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
How English Works...

Well, sometimes I just get tired of seeing so many misused words on a daily basis all over the interweb, so I decided I'd provide this helpful little guide for all of those among us that should probably head back to intermediate English classes and try again.

A - used before a consonant; "A car"
An - used before a vowel; "An exhaust system"
note: for acronyms (SRI), either "a" or "an" can be correct, depending on how you say it when you read it; "An S-R-I" or "A short ram intake"

A lot - the word "alot" does not exist in the English language

Are - to be; the plural form of is; "We are on newtiburon.com"
Hour - a measure of time (60 minutes)
Our -plural for showing possession; "Our home"

Brake - either a noun for the part of your car that stops you, or a verb meaning to apply the brakes
Break - to destroy

By - near; via; "The car is by the flag pole"; "We travel by car"
Buy - to purchase; "I need to buy a super charger"
Bye - what you say when you leave; "I'm leaving now. Bye."

Do - to carry out; "I need to do my homework."
Due - something owed; "My car payment is due the 20th."

Hear - what your ears do, "I can hear your exhaust a mile away"
Here - a location; "Let's stop here"

Loose - the opposite of tight
Lose - the opposite of win

One - a number; 1
Won - past tense of win; "I won the race"

Passed - verb, past tense of pass; "I was passed by a Civic".
Past - a point in time; "What happened happened; I can't do anything about that now because it's in the past".

Right - a direction; correct
Write - what you do with a pencil/pen

Sense - noun: sight, taste, touch, etc.; verb: to perceive; "I sense you might be learning something by reading this"
Since - from the past until now; "I haven't been to the track since then"

Than - a comparison - "My car is faster than yours"
Then - a period in time "I went to the track back then"

Their - showing 3rd person possession; "Their home"
There - a location; "Over there"
They're - a contraction of they are; "They're going to race"

To - "We are driving to lunch" (not sure how to define without confusing you more)
Too - can be used to mean also, or as a form of exaggeration or being over the top; "We want to race too"; "He was making too much power for his clutch"
Two - a number; 2

Were - similar to was; past tense; "We were going to race"
We're - a contraction of we are; present tense; "We are going to race"
Where - used in a question addressing a location; "Where is the car?"

Please read this over however many times it takes you to figure it out and quit sucking at English. You may now return to posting.

Note: This is obviously no where near complete, but I'll try to update it as more comes to mind or my attention. You may also feel free to leave suggestions for other screw ups you see around the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymikeygt View Post
NT ftw. where a post can go from rep to anal.......

Last edited by SpeedCheeser; 07-01-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Rool : Pron Spammer

hotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another level
Re: How English works...

YAY!!! Someone else that realizes the English languages has been destroyed by life on the internet.

My biggest pet peeve, people not knowing when to use "then" or "than".

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, R00l made God. Then, God made Earth."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

SpeedCheeser has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedCheeser has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedCheeser has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotWheelz View Post
YAY!!! Someone else that realizes the English language has been destroyed by life on the internet.
LOL, yes. Sometimes, I actually think that I may be getting stupider ( ) because of time spent on the internet.

Quote:

post #4 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 PM
NewTiburon.com God

alpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nice

+1... well done. now if i can only start using capital letters to begin my sentences, and using the apostrophe correctly, ill be getting somewhere, hahahahhah!

~~2007 Volkswagen GTI DSG~~ Neuspeed Intake, blackout sidemarkers, bicycle rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

JENGA

A similar phenomenon occurs in text messaging. I cannot understand a single thing my younger sister says to me via text message. I have to call her and explain that I don't understand why she has to use the letter "i" when she's talking about the human eye.

I have disabled all texting features due to these annoyances that I experience.

This post should be stickied in my opinion.

R.I.P. 03 Tiburon GT
AEM CAI, SSA Cat-back, SSA headers, APEXi SAFC 2, Ripp motor mount, Tein springs, IPOD integration

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg
post #6 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 05:38 PM
NewTiburon.com God

JPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to all

the only one that may not belong is the Lose Loose definitions. That can easily be a typo. aAt least its not like some of the first posts in the newb section where its all gibberish.

yeah, capital letters. I was sent to remedial english or special help with writing in second grade because i didn't use capital letters or punctuation. However, that same year I scored in the 99th percentile on a state exam... lol... nobody ever explained why capitals and punctuation were important. I knew what I wrote... lol

I givz u post count bak. hW
thank u. It was hell being a newb again....
post #7 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 05:39 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Nocturn is just really niceNocturn is just really niceNocturn is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENGA View Post
A similar phenomenon occurs in text messaging. I cannot understand a single thing my younger sister says to me via text message. I have to call her and explain that I don't understand why she has to use the letter "i" when she's talking about the human eye.

I have disabled all texting features due to these annoyances that I experience.

Because in texting space is a premium, thus the letter I, sounds just like the word, but uses two less letters...It is also easier to type out on a phone pad. FYI anyways...

But yes, much of the internets are destroyed due to laziness and simple apathy of being wrong, or not caring to find out the correct way to spell words.

That said, english is a particularly obtuse language to learn.

"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking, it's nothing to brag about, and those who preach faith and enable and elevate it are intellectual slave holders, keeping mankind in a bondage, to fantasy and nonsense, that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction. " - Bill Maher

"There are lies, there are damnable lies, and then there's reporting on the domestic auto industry."
post #8 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENGA View Post
It would be nice, wouldn't it? Then we can refer newbies to not only the rules, but this as well.

Quote:
post #9 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM
NewTiburon.com God

InkTheFlesh will become famous soon enough

OMG. WTF u talkin bout? R U serious?

'09 Silverado Crew Cab
post #10 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 PM
NewTiburon.com Unemployed

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
staw512 is just really nicestaw512 is just really nicestaw512 is just really nicestaw512 is just really nice

my biggest pet peeve is when ppl dont use any grammar i dont care it if always in the right place but for god sakes please put commas and periods here and there without them it feels like my head is going to explode
post #11 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM
NT's master gardener

spldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another level

a friggin men.

my biggest pet peeves are the their/there/they're, and to/too/two...with an emphasis on the word "too"...no one seems to remember it exists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Power of Dreams View Post
We on this forum all know Kyle's the worst person in the world.
post #12 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM

hotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another level

We'll see if I feel like stickying this.

Oh, and my comment on "loose" and "lose" - you can tell when someone doesn't know how to use the correct word when the wrong word shows up consistently where the other one should. I have seen that happen a lot.

post #13 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:07 PM
NT's master gardener

spldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another levelspldominator is on another level

Quote:
Originally Posted by staw512 View Post
my biggest pet peeve is when ppl dont use any grammar i dont care it if always in the right place but for god sakes please put commas and periods here and there without them it feels like my head is going to explode

ooo ya i know what you mean its like theyre sentences just keeping going on and on and never end then the subjects just don't make sense and they go on tangents two where the beginning idea doesnt make any sense with the first idea omg Ive been in class all day and im so ready to go home but anyway SRI or CAI my buddy said that CAI will make my car get water in it but i dunno i think hes wack oh and i dont think grammer is important on the internet cause im not righting a paper so get over it.

Quote:
post #14 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 PM

staw512 is just really nicestaw512 is just really nicestaw512 is just really nicestaw512 is just really nice

^^ nail on the head
post #15 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM

Here's my theory on the bastardization of "than". I have noticed that most of the posts where "then" is substituted for "than" are those from people in the south. I think it has to do with putting a southern drawl on the word "than", it comes out pretty close to "then". So, in school and everywhere else in the south, they hear "then" even though the other person is saying "than". Basically, in the south, there is no "than", it's just "then" and "then".

post #16 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 PM

i blame the south for everything else... sounds good to me
post #17 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I agree. It's Jen's fault.

post #18 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Fix It Jen!..
post #19 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
NewTiburon.com God

alpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldominator View Post
righting a paper
LOLOL.

another thing people from the south do is say "what all". like "what all is involved in installing my SRI?"

~~2007 Volkswagen GTI DSG~~ Neuspeed Intake, blackout sidemarkers, bicycle rack.

post #20 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 07:06 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mekana's_Deuce

I can't stand "a" vs. "an". Please use it correctly.correct way, "A car moves fast." "An car moves fast". Seriously?! Did that just happen? And the funny part bout this one is it takes more time to type the all important "n".
MNtiburonGT likes this.
post #21 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Zaion is a glorious beacon of lightZaion is a glorious beacon of lightZaion is a glorious beacon of lightZaion is a glorious beacon of lightZaion is a glorious beacon of light

i prefer spanish lol

english is too straight forward

Back and built!

"On the island of Boost, officially known as Puerto Rico"
-Turbo Magazine
post #22 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com God

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spldominator View Post
ooo ya i know what you mean its like theyre sentences just keeping going on and on and never end then the subjects just don't make sense and they go on tangents two where the beginning idea doesnt make any sense with the first idea omg Ive been in class all day and im so ready to go home but anyway SRI or CAI my buddy said that CAI will make my car get water in it but i dunno i think hes wack oh and i dont think grammer is important on the internet cause im not righting a paper so get over it.
I agree. I don't even care if it's right or not, but at least attempt to use punctuation to seperate ideas and/or sentences

Quote:
Hey, no fair. I'm about as south as you can get and I created the damn thread, lol.

Quote:
post #23 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 PM
NT's master gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotWheelz View Post
Here's my theory on the bastardization of "than". I have noticed that most of the posts where "then" is substituted for "than" are those from people in the south. I think it has to do with putting a southern drawl on the word "than", it comes out pretty close to "then". So, in school and everywhere else in the south, they hear "then" even though the other person is saying "than". Basically, in the south, there is no "than", it's just "then" and "then".
WHY IS IT MY FAULT!? I'll show you bastardization...

lol. anyway...i dont really know...when i say "than" real southern, its "thaaayyaaan". not much "e" in it. then the word then...hmm. sounds just like "thiiin" sorta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite View Post
LOLOL.

another thing people from the south do is say "what all". like "what all is involved in installing my SRI?"
lol i never knew that was weird! I say that all the time.

people get mad about "i'm fixin to..." I say that all the time too. lol

I got the greatest sentence then..."yaller fixin to start installin that SRI, right? what all is involved in that? Ima gon grab a beerrrr"

i've been told its weird we say "18-wheeler" here too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post

Hey, no fair. I'm about as south as you can get and I created the damn thread, lol.
southern*??

hehehehhehe

Quote:
post #24 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
Speaking of TX, most of the people I IM with in TX have a problem with "then" and "than". LOL

post #25 of 162 Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Nocturn is just really niceNocturn is just really niceNocturn is just really nice

Hey don't hate on Texas, it's big enough to be its own country.

One random Houston saying is apparently calling it a "feeder" road. Apparently that is a northern thing...or so I have heard I say 18 wheeler, also. I'm surprised though, that no one has mentioned "Yall", although I defend it as English needs a past tense plural possessive word other than "yous guys".

I love the "what all" though, I use it all the time.

"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking, it's nothing to brag about, and those who preach faith and enable and elevate it are intellectual slave holders, keeping mankind in a bondage, to fantasy and nonsense, that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction. " - Bill Maher

"There are lies, there are damnable lies, and then there's reporting on the domestic auto industry."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.