LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 114 Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DropZero is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation How a Turbo Works - Newbie Version

i found this link to a great readup and it should be stickied for future use and it answers ALOT of questions lol

www.turbobygarrett.com

http://driftjapan.com/blog/car-parts/turbochargers/

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Turbocharger Turbocharger

see searching works input from others also works

or i can post it here

Turbochargers

HKS Turbocharger:
A turbocharger, short for turbine driven supercharger, is an exhaust gas driven forced induction device used to improve engine performance by forcing compressed air into the engine. This compressed air allows more fuel to be burned resulting in more horsepower. Using a compressor to increase pressure at the point of cylinder air intake is referred to as forced induction vs. a non-turbo engine that is known as naturally aspirated.

A turbocharger consists of a turbine and a compressor linked by a shared axle. The turbine inlet receives exhaust gases from the engine’s exhaust manifold causing the turbine wheel to spin. This rotation drives the compressor, compressing air and delivering it to the air intake of the engine.

Superchargers operate in the same fashion as a turbo except the energy used to spin the compressor on a supercharger is taken from the rotation of the engine’s crankshaft as opposed to its exhaust gas. For this reason turbochargers are more efficient, since their turbines convert some of the thermal energy from the exhaust gas, that would otherwise be wasted, into useful work. Nevertheless, this is not totally free energy, as it always creates some amount of exhaust backpressure that the engine must overcome. Since superchargers use output energy from the engine to achieve their power, some of the engine’s total output is lost.

Turbocharger Diagram

Turbocharged engines operating at wide open throttle and high rpm require a large volume of air to flow between the turbo and the inlet of the engine. When the throttle is closed compressed air will continue to flow to the throttle valve without an exit. This causes a pressure surge that can be destructive to the engine. To prevent this from happening, a valve is fitted between the turbo and air intake that vents the excess air pressure. These valves are known as anti-surge, dump or blowoff valves. They are normally operated by engine vacuum or by electronic control.

A wastegate is the most common mechanical speed control system used to protect the engine. The main function of a wastegate is to allow some of the exhaust gasses to bypass the turbocharger when the desired intake pressure, or boost, is achieved. Often times a wastegate is further augmented by an electronic boost controller.

Boost refers to the increase in manifold pressure that is generated by the turbocharger. The maximum possible boost depends on the fuel’s octane rating. Typically, engines running on pump gas cannot sustain a boost above 12 psi.

Turbo lag refers to the delay between pushing the accelerator pedal and feeling the turbo kick-in. This happens because it takes the turbocharger’s turbines a moment to spin and build up boost. Turbo lag can be reduced by a properly tuned wastegate, higher quality bearings, lighter ceramic turbine, or by reducing the surface area of the turbine’s rotating blades. Note: The directly-driven compressor in a supercharger does NOT suffer from lag.

An intercooler can be added to a turbocharged system to further increase horsepower. Intercoolers take the hot compressed gases from the turbo and pass them through a radiator to lower their temperature and increase their density before they reenter the engine. The cooler dense air allows more air and fuel to be combusted per engine cycle, increasing the horsepower output of the engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First 2008 i4 in BC to be Turbocharged
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R.I.P

1984 Honda Magna V30 VF500C
yes its a stick no you cant play with it
1982 f150 i6 soon to be 4x4
Borgwarner t18 4spd np208 tcase 9"rear solid d44 geared 4.10s
Rebuilt and possibly boosted 300 i6 fords most torqu friendly motor

Owner of DropShop customs. For all your fabrication needs.

Last edited by DropZero; 12-26-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
cmanzi77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how a Turbo Works

That's a good article. Here's another from howstuffworks.com to complement that.

Forced Induction =

How Turbochargers Work: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Also how Superchargers Work: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm

Current Mods:
Sylvania SilverStar Foglights, Slave Cylinder Mod, Silver Interior Door Handles & Catches
Future Plans with car:
Front Plate Delete, Redline Tranny Fluid, Clean headlights

Last edited by cmanzi77; 11-06-2009 at 04:32 PM.
post #3 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

+ 1 for sticky

R.I.P

post #4 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
caconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud of

sticky this for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caconman424
I search my user-name for threads that I havent replied to, just to see who is talking about me
JP for President 2012!!
post #5 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

plus on the rep for a good sticky!

R.I.P

post #6 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Tuscani77777

not to bad//little bit of good info there

perfect for the noobs lol

Last edited by Tuscani77777; 11-06-2009 at 07:03 PM.
post #7 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 PM
NewTiburon.com God

JPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropZero View Post
Superchargers operate in the same fashion as a turbo except the energy used to spin the compressor on a supercharger is taken from the rotation of the engine’s crankshaft as opposed to its exhaust gas. For this reason turbochargers are more efficient, since their turbines convert some of the thermal energy from the exhaust gas, that would otherwise be wasted, into useful work. Nevertheless, this is not totally free energy, as it always creates some amount of exhaust backpressure that the engine must overcome. Since superchargers use output energy from the engine to achieve their power, some of the engine’s total output is lost.
Wait, is that right? I mean, know how a turbo works, but I would have thought it was the kinetic energy of the moving exhaust, not its thermal energy that runs the turbo.

I givz u post count bak. hW
thank u. It was hell being a newb again....
post #8 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

hmmm from what i understand that is correct but their again i could be wrong but i figured it would SAVE ALOT of time in the F/C section with noob questions every little bit helps us out, especaily for the noobs here lol

and ty for the positive feed back on this, it was just a random google search lol

Dropzero

R.I.P

post #9 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

valkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond repute

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+turbocharger

Now we can sticky this.... jesus eff people are lazy.

2007 e92 space gray 328i w/ dakota gray interior
post #10 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Tuscani77777

I never noticed that part. Let me find out lol

Edit: ^ above post...........................man, who the eff cares. He found some stuff for turbochargers and he decided to share. It's not a big deal. Yes we all know how google works. Thanks alot

Last edited by Tuscani77777; 11-06-2009 at 07:20 PM.
post #11 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

valkare that was interesting seems like the same thing i did but your comment was not needed seeing is how this is a noob forum and any help to them is a help to the vets on here unless u would like to ask the question 99x over be my guess, but i guess u want to keep telling people to google it

no problem

R.I.P

post #12 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 PM
NewTiburon.com God

JPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to all

DropZero, you're quickly becoming an awesome noob for bumping old info. Now, not only can we bash noobs who ask stupid questions, we also have one that has proven that searching works... lol

I just pointed that out the thermal thing cause it sounded odd, not that it really matters for application, just was curious.

I mean, an example of thermal energy powering something is a steam engine. The thermal energy from the fire boils the water, which, the kinetic energy from the boiled water runs the engine.

I would think that the Thermal energy from the exhaust actually hinders everything since heat is generally a destructive force in engines.

I givz u post count bak. hW
thank u. It was hell being a newb again....
post #13 of 114 Old 11-06-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

ty yes searching works VERY well heh make that clear, i have answerd so many stupid questions on here and when i had my supra lol the answer is right their just use it but hey i get a couple messages every other day about my turbo and what i did and it gets annoying lol so by just reffering to this thread makes life easier and if they still dont understand they wernt destind for boost lol

just my 2c but hey soon ill have 4k+ posts lol and either by this weekend or next my turbo will be installed YAY happy dance lol

R.I.P

post #14 of 114 Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

andrew-coupe is an unknown quantity at this point

that is verry helpful, thanks.
post #15 of 114 Old 11-08-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

bump for sticky!

R.I.P

post #16 of 114 Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 PM

JGresch is a splendid one to beholdJGresch is a splendid one to beholdJGresch is a splendid one to beholdJGresch is a splendid one to beholdJGresch is a splendid one to beholdJGresch is a splendid one to behold

if you want to request something to be stickied just pm a mod cuz they don't read every single thread.

lolwut
post #17 of 114 Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)
Re: How a Turbo Works - Newbie Version

thankyou to the admins and moids on NT for making this a sticky and i hope this helps all the noobs out their
feel free if u have any new information to let me know and i will add it, i will also be adding links to information site about turbos andd super chargers

R.I.P

post #18 of 114 Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Glassball will become famous soon enough

Another good post Gary. *Thumbs up*

And yeah, i don't think it's thermal energy. Pretty sure its the kinetic energy.

NGM Stage 2 Iced Supercharger
Injen SRI -- SSA exhaust -- 360cc injectors -- 2.75" pulley -- SMT6 tuned
S L E E P E R
post #19 of 114 Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

will5122 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Turbo is a good way to shorten your engines life and get you lots of speeding tickets.
post #20 of 114 Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Newo is just really niceNewo is just really niceNewo is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by will5122 View Post
Turbo is a good way to shorten your engines life and get you lots of speeding tickets.
yeah, if youre an idiot, and i mean that in both aspects. you seriously made no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGresch View Post
promosaywhat
post #21 of 114 Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

so dose that mean factory turbocharged cars have shortened lifespans? i think its more driver error then car failure. The quest for more power takes advantage of are wallets and and are lives. for someone with no positive feed back is one of those people that shouldn't post on NT, that also means u shouldn't touch your car in any way because u could "shorten" its life span

just food for thought
next time i wouldn't suggest posting a comment like that

R.I.P

post #22 of 114 Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

and to add to that someone with only 50 post counts sure makes u high and mighty to post somthing like that...... mind u im one to talk but i atleast have owned and drivin turbocharged cars and currently turboing my 08 tib

R.I.P

post #23 of 114 Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 AM

Newo is just really niceNewo is just really niceNewo is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzero View Post
so dose that mean factory turbocharged cars have shortened lifespans? I think its more driver error then car failure. The quest for more power takes advantage of are wallets and and are lives. For someone with no positive feed back is one of those people that shouldn't post on nt, that also means u shouldn't touch your car in any way because u could "shorten" its life span

just food for thought
next time i wouldn't suggest posting a comment like that
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGresch View Post
promosaywhat
post #24 of 114 Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

jman4888 can only hope to improve

wow i never knew that
post #25 of 114 Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

jman4888 can only hope to improve

you guys are great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.