So your engine is ticking - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 269 Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
NT's Death Knight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
So your engine is ticking

So your engine is ticking...

That is your valve lash adjusters making that noise - they are supplied oil by the oil pump, and are at the top of the engine, and get oil last.. If you use the proper weight oil, and a hyundai filter, you most likely will not get this noise. Using cheap oil filters bought from the store ( fram, penz, quaker) will cause this noise because the spring pressures are not correct and will allow oil to leak back from the filter and not allow full pressure to the top of the engine.. sitting for long periods of time compound this problem. Always use the proper weight oil and a Genuine Hyundai filter - if you car will be sitting for long periods of time, make sure to start the car and let it come up to operating temps every 3-4 days - Use 5W20 for winter use and 5W30 for summer use

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Racer View Post
Um i use a fram oil filter and full synthetic oil? My car rus fine? I thought fram makes good quality oil filters, there like the biggest brand out there lol
Oh i change my oil+filter every 3,000 miles =) I like to race alot at the track so yea kinda calls for it
Fram is the biggest brand because they make the cheapest filter.. it is also rated the worst filter on the market.. If you go to a "fast food" oil change place, that's what you get, a Fram or a generic Fram... The bypass valve springs are so weak, they cannot maintain oil pressure in the top of any engine. If your motor is important to you, run a OEM filter.. it is designed and built to work properly with the stock oiling system.. There is a Hyundai TSB that calls for not honoring warranties on oil related engine failures because of "cheap" filters. and describes the VLA ticking as the main cause of running "cheap" filters
The OEM filter is actually made by Hyundai, and is rated one of the best filters manufactured - the design is by Mann of Germany..

The TSB in question is 05-20-002, issued in July, 2005, titled "USE OF AFTERMARKET ENGINE OIL FILTERS CAUSING ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE", with an applicability of "ALL MODELS".

Here is the text of the TSB:

DESCRIPTION:
Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine, thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.

VEHICLES AFFECTED:
All Models

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Perform an oil change on the vehicle and replace the aftermarket oil filter with a genuine Hyundai oil filter.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:
Normal warranty procedures apply. This is not a warranty repair.

Read This - http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...html#fram-ph8a

Here is a snippet from a Oil filter test...

Filters To Avoid

The following list of filters have known problems. You will see well-known names here and will probably be disappointed. This is because many of these brands have stopped making their own filters and buy from a common manufacturer.

Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard

Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure relief valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.

Penzoil
This filter is a Fram! It is the exact same design as the Fram Extra Guard filter and it is junk. On the up side, it costs $1 less than the Fram version.

Quaker State
This is another Fram Extra Guard that I have seen at K-mart. It used to be a Purolator, but Quaker State is now owned/controlled by Penzoil...

Best filters: AC Delco, Baldwin, Amsoil, Mobil 1, K&N, Mann (OEM on BMWs, Porsche, Audi, some Volvos. Hyundai etc)

Medium: AC Delco, Napa, Wix, PureOne(?)

Crap filters: Fram, Bosch, Penzzoil & Quaker (made by Fram)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You Are Only As Good As Your Last Idea! /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UnHolyTib; 02-12-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 269 Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 PM
ERMAHGERD, ERM AH MERD!

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
brooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud of
Re: So your engine is ticking

omg i saw you post in the newbie section and about shat myself....
good info though

post #3 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:19 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
caconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud of

vote for sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caconman424
I search my user-name for threads that I havent replied to, just to see who is talking about me
JP for President 2012!!

post #4 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:28 AM
NT's Rapid PrototypIsT...sort of

MaliceFox will become famous soon enoughMaliceFox will become famous soon enough

i vote for sticky too, good info for sure!
post #5 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

L-ski will become famous soon enoughL-ski will become famous soon enough

so what does this OEM hyundai filter cost? I'm guessing $50 a filter and from my experience with my tib, the hyundai filter will probably ef somthing up with my car's electronics or somthing stupid, its the hyundai way. Just save all your money from buying wal mart filters and when your first engine blows up, buy a second one for like 700 bucks shipped on ebay... haha.

but this is very interesting info none the less.

Stance in my pants

Raceland Coilovers~~~17x9 +24~~~ 205/40~~~25mm rear adapters~~~18 wheeler shift extension~~~Fart cans n stuff
post #6 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

papercut825 will become famous soon enough

sticky!! !! this is good info thanks wyatt i'll remember this next time i change the oil.
post #7 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Luke: NT's Skywalker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
GeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another level
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-ski View Post
so what does this OEM hyundai filter cost? I'm guessing $50 a filter and from my experience with my tib, the hyundai filter will probably ef somthing up with my car's electronics or somthing stupid, its the hyundai way. Just save all your money from buying wal mart filters and when your first engine blows up, buy a second one for like 700 bucks shipped on ebay... haha.

I think I pay 7 bucks... And no, it does nothing but good things for your car.

2011 4.6L Titanium Hyundai Genesis(TOTALED)
2015 2.5l Fully Loaded Ice Silver Subaru Legacy
post #8 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:34 AM
NewTiburon.com God

CarrRyanE has a spectacular aura aboutCarrRyanE has a spectacular aura aboutCarrRyanE has a spectacular aura about

whats your take on Mobile?

I personally have never used OEM and since day one ran Mobile1s 5w30 with a Mobile1s filter... have never had any issues and my tib sits durring the winter.

Wyatt any info on them or personal opinion...? The Dealership is further away and harder to get into so I had no choice but to find an alternative. So I went with my personal preference and known quality in the past.

Last edited by CarrRyanE; 02-13-2010 at 12:36 AM.
post #9 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:42 AM

L-ski will become famous soon enoughL-ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalduke View Post
I think I pay 7 bucks... And no, it does nothing but good things for your car.
7 is surprisingly reasonable. You'll have to excuse my hate toward anything related to hyundai dealers, I've had terrible experiences in Southern MI. Do you have to buy them through the dealer or can you pick them up online?

Stance in my pants

Raceland Coilovers~~~17x9 +24~~~ 205/40~~~25mm rear adapters~~~18 wheeler shift extension~~~Fart cans n stuff
post #10 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:43 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Tuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond reputeTuscani Joe GT has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry wyatt although i do appreciate your post i am closing this thread right now and you are receiving a 10 point infraction for useless sticky... please exit out the left hand door ..

Jk bud good write up i vote for sticky!!

MY OTHER RIDE PULLS YOURS OVER.
And my other ride is a Tree Fiddy Z
post #11 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Luke: NT's Skywalker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
GeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another level
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscani Joe GT View Post
Sorry wyatt although i do appreciate your post i am closing this thread right now and you are receiving a 10 point infraction for useless sticky... please exit out the left hand door ..

I didn't know post master's had that ability.

EDIT: Stickied

2011 4.6L Titanium Hyundai Genesis(TOTALED)
2015 2.5l Fully Loaded Ice Silver Subaru Legacy
post #12 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 AM
NewTiburon.com God

CarrRyanE has a spectacular aura aboutCarrRyanE has a spectacular aura aboutCarrRyanE has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I demand you change your avatar back now... I almost didnt recognize you... until I read the retarded post....lol

post #13 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 01:27 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
07se has a spectacular aura about07se has a spectacular aura about07se has a spectacular aura about

i just want to add my .02 and say my first oil change (i bought the car about 8 months ago) i used a cheap fram filter and noticed the ticking got louder......and sure enough the next oil change used a hyundai OEM filter and the ticking is still there but no where near as bad as with the fram. moral of the story: buy hyundai oil filters
post #14 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

huskrzfan24

and if you dont have a local stealership here is a link http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0 i did some searchin, i nvr ordered threw em but id assume its a hyundai oem filter since its the hyundai oem part store

1st assassin setup of its kind in the making. hopefully more to follow, stock block FTW
post #15 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 10:38 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Ark Angel114

This is a very helpful post, I did my first oil change by myself around the 23rd of January, I had a pretty loud ticking problem and the car had been sitting. So I bought the OEM filter and now the ticking noise is gone. I had a Valvoline filter in it before, not sure about the quality of it though.
post #16 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 10:59 AM

jeih332003 will become famous soon enough

i use k&n filters i know they work great everytime i change my oil when i take the filter off it is completely full of oil being held back by the check valves and ive never had valve tick using them .

post #17 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
NewTiburon.com God

TuscaniGTFL has a spectacular aura aboutTuscaniGTFL has a spectacular aura about

So since Ill switch to the OEM filter, which is a good but cheap is price brand of oil to use? And whats the proper weight?

The old Tib, 03 GT 6-speed (we all know the clutch problems that had lol)

On the lookout for a new tib...maybe...
post #18 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:28 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mjs182004 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TibbyGuy View Post
So since Ill switch to the OEM filter, which is a good but cheap is price brand of oil to use? And whats the proper weight?
Hyundai recommends Quaker State 5W20

1991 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance & A 2006 Cadillac STS-V

post #19 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ontariotibv6 will become famous soon enough

OK so what does everyone suggest I do when I first start my car after sitting all winter. Last spring it ticked for the first five minutes of driving even though I warmed it up at Idle first? Any way to help the valve lash adjusters pump up easily?

05 Tib Tuscani: AEM CAI, Injen SES, Megan SS coils, Poly MM, B&M STS, TWM bushings, RRM strutbar, Clutch Slave Mod, Black RR eyelines, 6K HID, Pioneer->MTX->JL10".
post #20 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:48 PM
NewTiburon.com God

alpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nicealpinewhite is just really nice

this is 100% accurate info. i used to go to valvoine IOC and i noticed the ticking right after a change... started bringing it to hyundai for oil changes afterwards to get the OEM filter. it was cheaper too. bought mobil 1 5w30 jugs at the auto parts store and brought it with me. it was about $10- $15 for the filter and labor. still do this with my accent. i would do it myself but i have no place to store or dispose of waste oil. my accent was ticking like crazy when i bought it used, had no idea what filter was on there and it quieted down significantly after the 1st change, now all i hear is injector tick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontariotibv6 View Post
OK so what does everyone suggest I do when I first start my car after sitting all winter. Last spring it ticked for the first five minutes of driving even though I warmed it up at Idle first? Any way to help the valve lash adjusters pump up easily?
dont let it sit all winter would be the 1st step, lol. at least start it and idle it once a week.

~~2007 Volkswagen GTI DSG~~ Neuspeed Intake, blackout sidemarkers, bicycle rack.

post #21 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Fallen Aquila is just really niceFallen Aquila is just really niceFallen Aquila is just really niceFallen Aquila is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-ski View Post
so what does this OEM hyundai filter cost? I'm guessing $50 a filter and from my experience with my tib, me installing the hyundai filter will probably ef somthing up with my car's electronics or somthing stupid, its my way. Just save all your money from buying wal mart filters and when your first engine blows up, buy a second one for like 700 bucks shipped on ebay... haha.

fixed.

Buy the parts from my tib:
post #22 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 12:56 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

djhowiec is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post and great information. Thanks

post #23 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
NewTiburon.com God

mbradley2020 will become famous soon enoughmbradley2020 will become famous soon enough

Great sticky. Not like anyone will ever search and find it but still, great sticky.

Quote:
I PHUCKING LOVE YOU !~!!!!

2003 Rally Red GT, T Badged, CIW Wheels, Custom Exhaust, Poly MMs, Nightshaded Tails, STS, Spec / Findanza Combo.
post #24 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 01:23 PM
NewTiburon.com God

TuscaniGTFL has a spectacular aura aboutTuscaniGTFL has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjs182004 View Post
Hyundai recommends Quaker State 5W20
Great thats already what I use so then Ill just stay with that and get the OEM filter.

The old Tib, 03 GT 6-speed (we all know the clutch problems that had lol)

On the lookout for a new tib...maybe...
post #25 of 269 Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 PM
NewTiburon.com God

shark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of lightshark tales is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TibbyGuy View Post
Great thats already what I use so then Ill just stay with that and get the OEM filter.
is that for the 4 cylinder bc the v6 uses 10w 30 guys

///SHARK TALES\\\

Tib is gone, but not forgotten. Tumbler and Clean status awaits the new project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.