How To Search Effectively - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level
(Thread Starter)
How To Search Effectively

Okay, I've gotten sick of people claiming to have searched and then ask a common question. Either they lied to us or they suck at searching. So I promised awhile ago, that when I get time, I would make a thread of how to search effectively. That time has come. I'm going to ask that this is stickied in this forum, in hopes that newbies will see it and read through it. I will make all of the font in this thread larger to make it easier to read.

In this example, let's say we need to find what is the best 6-speed short throw shifter.

You will notice on the home page, a search that will look like this:

So it's pretty simple... let's start our search with a basic "Short Throw Shifter".

You'll see that we get a hell of a lot of irrelevant results, many of which are regional forums. That's not going to help much.

So let's delve a little deeper. If it is a very commonly discussed topic, you will notice that a lot of the newer threads consist of a lot of flaming and little information. This is a skill I picked up when searching: Try going to the last page where you start seeing threads from the beginning of the forum. There will be real answers with little-to-no flaming. **NOTE** DO NOT POST IN THESE OLD THREADS!!!!!! IT IS AGAINST THE RULES OF THE SITE AND BECOMES VERY ANNOYING!!!! **NOTE**

Now time to get more narrow and begin to develop your searching skills. On the top bar, just under the title, you will see a drop down, "Search" that has an option in it to "Advanced Search" (highlighted as my mouse is on it). Click on it.

Now, type in what you want to search. Again, we are still searching "Short Throw Shifter". To narrow it down, on the right side, you can say exactly which forums to search. You can select more by holding Control and clicking (Command and clicking on a Mac). In this case, I selected Tib General Discussion, V6 N/A, V6 F/I, and Transmissions (I selected the V6, as only the V6 will have a 6-speed).

And we are led to this page... a more narrow search result, which will keep you from sifting through some garbage.

Still searching the same words, "Short Throw Shifter," you can narrow it down even more, by knowing generally the forum where you will find most of your information and only selecting that.

And yet again, we find a more narrowed search of ONLY the forum you selected to search. Be sure to utilize the prior skills I have already taught you, such as going to the very last page of the search forum with the oldest results.

If you don't find what you need on the first page of searching, don't give up. The search will provide up to 300 threads of what you searched. Be sure to keep going through more pages. You will find your information.

If you are still having trouble finding information you need. Try revising the searched terms. There are plenty of names and alternate terms you can search or add on. (Notice the search term changes in the pictures)

Reminder: Everybody was a newbie at one point. It is possible that the best information will be found in the newbie forum. Be sure to search in that forum.

Browsing is just as important as searching. If you browse through the forums, you can find information, as well. Again, DO NOT POST IN THREADS WITH A LAST POST OLDER THAN A MONTH!

While browsing the forum, if you are having troubles, we have provided you with a quick way to search only that forum. Up on the top right of the thread listing, you have a drop down to search the forum.

Many times, we have threads that contain very valuable information that is so valuable that we sticky it. Be sure to read through stickies. Nothing is more embarrassing than asking a question that was answered in a sticky of the forum you are asking. It also leads to extreme flame. This is what a stickied thread will have to signify that it is, indeed, a sticky. (Thumbtack)

If for some reason, you are STILL having problems on NT finding your information, try expanding your search. There are other Tiburon forums and Hyundai forums that can help you out. Google is your friend, which also offers an advanced search. (The day of posting this is Pi Day for those of you who read this later and are confused by the strange Google title.)

Be sure to quickly skim/read through threads before deciding they are unhelpful. Even if they seem unhelpful at first, something may come up later in the thread.

Searching for tags, quite honestly, will rarely find what you need. This is a somewhat recent addition to the site and many of the older, helpful threads will not offer tags. There are probably more tags about promo than anything else. My opinion, don't bother searching tags.

You have now successfully learned how to search very effectively. If you 100% honestly cannot find the information you are looking for, there is a chance... a very slim chance that it has not been discussed. This is when you can finally post a thread asking your question. Good luck with your searches and I hope this example could help you.

Mr Köppen is so like the fat woman full of vitality. ! !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level
(Thread Starter)
How To Search Effectively

It has come to my attention that some members are having problems searching on their iPhone or iPod Touch. I am posting this to help alleviate that problem.... mainly because I'm sick of it being used as an excuse to not search.

When using NewTiburon on your mobile device, keep in mind that you can use two different versions of the site. Richard offers the full site and the mobile site.

If you are on the full site, on a mobile device, some claim to be having issues with the drop-down search bar. There are a few simple remedies for that:

On the home page, there is still the search bar on the right hand side.

You can also click on the "Advanced Search" below the search bar on there, to take you to the advanced search screen.

If you are not on the home page and want to make a search, you can still use the drop-down. Just drop down the "Search" on the top bar and click on "Advanced Search"

ALTERNATELY...

If you are using NT Mobile, you can still search.

At the very top of NT Mobile, there is a bar of links, containing the Search link

Upon clicking that, you will be directed to the search feature, where you can search normally.

I hope this helps you mobile users (particularly the iPhone/iPod Touch users) with your search problems.

Last edited by optimummind; 10-12-2010 at 04:40 AM.
post #3 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
promo123 is infamous around these partspromo123 is infamous around these partspromo123 is infamous around these partspromo123 is infamous around these partspromo123 is infamous around these partspromo123 is infamous around these partspromo123 is infamous around these partspromo123 is infamous around these parts
Re: How To Search Effectively

Eric.....you are my Internet Hero

post #4 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Will51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another level

Vote for sticky as well.

For quickest response regarding ZMR Mods please email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:03 PM
NewTiburon.com God

FuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to behold
Garage

Very nice Eric. I also vote for this to be a sticky.

2006 Tiburon GT - traded in for
2005 GTO - Sold
2001 Regal GS - traded in for
2004 GTO
post #6 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:03 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

pigman02 is an unknown quantity at this point

this, is amazing..
post #7 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Technique is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely sticky-worthy. Very good job, sir!
post #8 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:19 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Montmont has a spectacular aura aboutMontmont has a spectacular aura aboutMontmont has a spectacular aura about

A suggestion I would add is the use of the drop down menu under where you enter your search text (when using the advanced search). There are two options here: "search entire posts" and "search titles only". I often use the "search titles only" option when looking for DIYs simply because they are titled specifically what they are for the vast majority of the time. Just like narrowing what forums you search in, this also cuts down on the number of "junk" threads that don't contain whatever you are looking for.

Just for example, when I was looking for the DIY for replacing the exterior door handles I went to the advanced search (of course) and simply typed in "door" for my keyword. I then select the "Do It Yourself" forum for the search in forums selection. NOW...If I use "Search All Posts", the DIY I'm looking for is located on the 3rd page. If I use "Search Titles Only", the DIY is on the FIRST page. That cut my search down by 1/3.

Great writeup. Feel free to add in my suggestion. I use that option all the time.
post #9 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

Doomsday Postcard is an unknown quantity at this point

i vote for it to be a sticky. plus my name is Eric as well and my username is in one of your screen captures which makes me like it even more!
post #10 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
nolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to all

I Vote for making this a sticky
Very informative ,awaiting how to spell thread ...and complete sentences thread. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NEW RIDE :2012 Sonata
SOLD2007 Vivivd Blue SE
long gone 2003 6spd Tib
post #11 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Montmont has a spectacular aura aboutMontmont has a spectacular aura aboutMontmont has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletron View Post
i vote for it to be a sticky. plus my name is Eric as well and my username is in one of your screen captures which makes me like it even more!
HAHA I just looked up at the screen caps and I'm in one too. Woot!
post #12 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
caconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud ofcaconman424 has much to be proud of

You have to much damn time lol

Sticky for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caconman424
I search my user-name for threads that I havent replied to, just to see who is talking about me
JP for President 2012!!
post #13 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montmont View Post
A suggestion I would add is the use of the drop down menu under where you enter your search text (when using the advanced search). There are two options here: "search entire posts" and "search titles only". I often use the "search titles only" option when looking for DIYs simply because they are titled specifically what they are for the vast majority of the time. Just like narrowing what forums you search in, this also cuts down on the number of "junk" threads that don't contain whatever you are looking for.

Just for example, when I was looking for the DIY for replacing the exterior door handles I went to the advanced search (of course) and simply typed in "door" for my keyword. I then select the "Do It Yourself" forum for the search in forums selection. NOW...If I use "Search All Posts", the DIY I'm looking for is located on the 3rd page. If I use "Search Titles Only", the DIY is on the FIRST page. That cut my search down by 1/3.

Great writeup. Feel free to add in my suggestion. I use that option all the time.
Definitely a good suggestion. There is a problem that lies in that because sometimes threads are named incorrectly. If you know where to search, though, this suggestion certainly expedites the process. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfol View Post
I Vote for making this a sticky
Very informative ,awaiting how to spell thread ...and complete sentences thread. lol
Good job searching! How English Works... It's even a sticky in this forum. lmao The irony is too much!

post #14 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonman424 View Post
You have to much damn time lol

Sticky for sure
Haha, I'm on spring break and procrastinating from cleaning my house, going shopping and washing my car. lol

post #15 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:46 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

imprttuner2 will become famous soon enoughimprttuner2 will become famous soon enough

Eric you are a God among Men. Thank you so much. This needs a sticky. Amazing work man!

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
post #16 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

badtib04 will become famous soon enoughbadtib04 will become famous soon enough

Lul. Epic. Very good thread I even learned some :] sticky worthy.
post #17 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

WCKDTIB

Sticky!!!! VERY NICE JOB!
post #18 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Dave: NT Admin

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Rushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another level

Thread is officially stuck...Thanks for the work and dedication Eric.

post #19 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 03:10 PM
NewTiburon.com God

nemesis4 has a spectacular aura aboutnemesis4 has a spectacular aura about

If i could give you more posi rep i would have for this post, thank you sooooo much!

post #20 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushr View Post
Thread is officially stuck...Thanks for the work and dedication Eric.
Thank you, Dave! I'm glad I could provide help to members, new and old.

post #21 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Dave: NT Admin

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Rushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another levelRushr is on another level

It definitely gets old...I just hope this actually helps a little. Time will tell. Oh, and not that you needed it real bad but I gave you posi rep too.

post #22 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushr View Post
It definitely gets old...I just hope this actually helps a little. Time will tell. Oh, and not that you needed it real bad but I gave you posi rep too.
Thank you, my man! Even a little help for members is enough.

post #23 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

msTT0WN is just really nicemsTT0WN is just really nicemsTT0WN is just really nice

eric can haz win!?
post #24 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
nolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to allnolfol is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03redTuscani View Post
Good job searching! How English Works... It's even a sticky in this forum. lmao The irony is too much!
See i never thought of searching this ,cause well i was awaiting your version Eric... but good to know .

NEW RIDE :2012 Sonata
SOLD2007 Vivivd Blue SE
long gone 2003 6spd Tib
post #25 of 100 Old 03-14-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfol View Post
See i never thought of searching this ,cause well i was awaiting your version Eric... but good to know .
Haha, that thread got derailed anyway, that's why it's closed. I'm not going to write up a version for this. I'm just going to keep flaming people who use simple words incorrectly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ericforpres, ericsahoe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.