Money Tips! - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level
(Thread Starter)
Money Tips!

I was inspired by a few members to make a thread dedicated to managing your money while you mod your car. It is also a method you can use in your daily life expenditures.

Step one: Set a goal for your bank account

If you are modding your car, buying your parts online requires some form of online payment. Most of the time it will be a checking account. So set a goal for your checking account. A bottom line. A set amount of money that you aspire your bank account to never go under, ever (exception: emergency situations).

Step two: Reach that goal and maintain account

Pretty simple, if you set your bank account goal to be $5000 (the example I'll use throughout this write-up), reach that goal before buying unnecessarily. That being said, if you want to purchase anything for leisurely use, make sure you have that cost plus $5000. A new video game, $60. Have at least $5060 in your account.

Step three: Paying for car mods

This is where slightly impatient people will fail. When modding your car, this is my rule of thumb: save up for twice what the mod is worth, just in case of any issues during install. If you are buying a $150 intake, save up $300 MORE THAN YOUR MINIMUM SET GOAL ($5000). If you are buying a $1500 set of coilovers, save up $3000 more than your minimum set goal, etc. This step also allows you to prepare for any emergency repairs (example: if you get springs and use the stock struts and blow the struts out). This does two things: ensures you won't go into debt if there are any issues with install (or if you have someone else install) and if you don't end up using that extra saved money, you can apply it to your next job or continue to save up.

Step four: Don't spend unnecessarily

Fairly broad, but this explanation should clear it up. Again, going with the impatience thing, I've noticed recently that people want to buy something when they have other goals in mind for the car, just to hold them over. For example, if you want coilovers on your car, don't buy springs. It is money and time wasted on installing a part you don't ultimately want. Buying a set of $300 springs will set you back that much more from buying the coilovers you truly aspire to have. My phrase: if you have to do it more than once, you've done it incorrectly to start with. Don't get springs if you want coilovers. If you need to replace your clutch and intend on going aftermarket a few months later, just go aftermarket to begin with (more of an emergency purchase, if it is need-based, but will prevent you from paying for the same thing twice).

Final note:

I know many of the members here are young and might not have a large income, so, if you set your goal low in the first step ($1000-$2000), consider waiting until you have 2.5 to 3 times as much money saved up as the mod costs. Sometimes emergency funds need to be dipped into for unexpected repairs if the install goes bad.
David Duran and J. Buchanan like this.

Mr Köppen is so like the fat woman full of vitality. ! !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 03:54 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Octane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud ofOctane has much to be proud of
Re: Money Tips!

Good write up xD

AEM CAI, SSA v2 Headers, DC Cat-back exhaust, TEIN S-Tech springs, KYB GR2's, 8000k Xentec HID's, DD 6 LED Dome Lights
post #3 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 04:03 PM
AWD-swapped Troll

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
ShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another levelShamanKJM is on another level

kudos... .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 04:06 PM
ERMAHGERD, ERM AH MERD!

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
brooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud of

I like what you say. Also if your acct minimum is let's say 1500. you dont have to keep all that in checking throw some of it in savings that way you make money towards future mods.

Any advice on future investiing?

post #5 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooni23 View Post
I like what you say. Also if your acct minimum is let's say 1500. you dont have to keep all that in checking throw some of it in savings that way you make money towards future mods.

Any advice on future investiing?
Actually, I would disagree. I'm talking strictly on spending money. Don't let your primary spending account fall below your set goal. You should have investments elsewhere which should remain untouched (besides adding to it).

Future investing can be a discussion for another place. This is primarily for new modders to help them maintain their money.

post #6 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 04:38 PM
ERMAHGERD, ERM AH MERD!

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
brooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud ofbrooni23 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takahashi240 View Post
Actually, I would disagree. I'm talking strictly on spending money. Don't let your primary spending account fall below your set goal. You should have investments elsewhere which should remain untouched (besides adding to it).

Future investing can be a discussion for another place. This is primarily for new modders to help them maintain their money.
ahh my bad you can delete me from your thread

post #7 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
poundit will become famous soon enoughpoundit will become famous soon enough

Haha you wasnt kidding about making this thread. Good Job mate

post #8 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 PM
NewTiburon.com God

dj_lujan will become famous soon enoughdj_lujan will become famous soon enough

Great write up. This is definately something a married man with children need to follow! lol

Wrong Fitment crew #1671
post #9 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
RetfirDMX has a spectacular aura aboutRetfirDMX has a spectacular aura about
Garage

doing this exactly right now. working my account up 250 past where it needs to be for a 175 dollar intake

Weapon-R | ARK NII | Raceland Coilovers | UltraRacing | FFF badges | DDM HID's | FTKD4LF Carbon Wing | NIA | NRG QR/Wheel/FRP-310 | XXR 527 17x9.75" +25

post #10 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poundit View Post
Haha you wasnt kidding about making this thread. Good Job mate
This is the internet.... it's srs bsns. lol

post #11 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Dedication to Thai Cuisine

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
breeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud of

good job for the money making~~~~~~~~~~~

Lightest DD tib? 2593 lbs
Don't beat me GK27V6

IS-F 3723 lbs
400 WHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Blue View Post
I wish I had 5 Guys inside of me right now...
Quote:
That is pretty much how I felt the first time I had Five Guys...
post #12 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Sneak is just really niceSneak is just really niceSneak is just really nice

Bravo. Nice job.

Takahashi warm welcome count: 34,146
post #13 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM
NewTiburon.com God

ALPiNE_MULiSHA will become famous soon enoughALPiNE_MULiSHA will become famous soon enough

You mean it's not wise to over-draft checking accounts or to rack up debt on credit cards paying the minimum balance each month so you pay an incredible amount of interest to mod a car one probably won't keep longer than the loan is for and eat all that money in mods to the eventual partout because local buyers won't give you what you want or dealers won't give more than 1/2 the BlueBook Value?

lol Good write up though.

PAST *Heavily Modded* 2003 Alpine White Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7L V6
PAST *Modded* 2007 Mineral Gray Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Regular Cab 5.7L Hemi V8 4x4
PRESENT 2012 SageBrush Pearlcoat Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi V8 4x4 w/ RamBox Storage System
post #14 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPiNE_MULiSHA View Post
You mean it's not wise to over-draft checking accounts or to rack up debt on credit cards paying the minimum balance each month so you pay an incredible amount of interest to mod a car one probably won't keep longer than the loan is for and eat all that money in mods to the eventual partout because local buyers won't give you what you want or dealers won't give more than 1/2 the BlueBook Value?

lol Good write up though.
NO WAI!!!! lol

Thanks, anything to teach these rambunctious kids

post #15 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 PM
NewTiburon.com God

ALPiNE_MULiSHA will become famous soon enoughALPiNE_MULiSHA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
NO WAI!!!! lol

Thanks, anything to teach these rambunctious kids
Lol You didn't know? They're smarter than we are because they know everything..........

damn kids....... haha

PAST *Heavily Modded* 2003 Alpine White Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7L V6
PAST *Modded* 2007 Mineral Gray Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Regular Cab 5.7L Hemi V8 4x4
PRESENT 2012 SageBrush Pearlcoat Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi V8 4x4 w/ RamBox Storage System
post #16 of 185 Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
NewTiburon.com Expert

clemu93

You sir are the re-incarnation of my father, one of the men that spent a dollar only when need be and when he had a bit left over, saved it then he would spend....just a little lol. Very good write up +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
Yeah if only I could get rear ended...this would make my life complete.
Edit: omfg that post makes me ghey.
post #17 of 185 Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

foxxkiller18 has a spectacular aura aboutfoxxkiller18 has a spectacular aura aboutfoxxkiller18 has a spectacular aura about

more + rep for you for actually writing this up i will def be taking all of this into effect to stop myself from messing myself up money wise in the future
post #18 of 185 Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 AM
G~$
NewTiburon.com God

G~$ has a spectacular aura aboutG~$ has a spectacular aura aboutG~$ has a spectacular aura about

This should be stickied.

BMW CCA Oregon Chapter - Marketing Director

post #19 of 185 Old 04-30-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Hater With No Friends

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G~$ View Post
This should be stickied.
It's been stuck since I made the thread. lol

post #20 of 185 Old 04-30-2011, 04:47 AM
NewTiburon.com God

FuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to behold
Garage

I have $3, can I buy a turbo kit?

2006 Tiburon GT - traded in for
2005 GTO - Sold
2001 Regal GS - traded in for
2004 GTO
post #21 of 185 Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Zenrael

Definitely for the Newbie forum.

Nice write up.

07 V6 Hid Tibby with CAI, and exhaust
post #22 of 185 Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Nmersing is an unknown quantity at this point

Very good advice!
post #23 of 185 Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

jeffrey will become famous soon enough

My header paint cost $9.11. What should I have in my account if I get in in my eyes and have to go to the ER? That would be a very bad installing emergency! D: haha jk. But this actually taught me about being responsible with my money. Thank you
post #24 of 185 Old 05-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Retired NT Staff

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Regina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another level

Any tips for getting a job to obtain said money?!
post #25 of 185 Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Neonfever has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm changing out the newtiburon main page with this page. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.