Car will turn over but won't stay running.. - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quiet Storm
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Car will turn over but won't stay running..

Hello..kinda need some help on figuring out what this could be??

My car was recently in an accident in April (front end damage). Surprisingly, the only things that needed replacing was the radiator, the 2 fans up front and the A/C compressor.

I got my car back last Sunday. It ran great, it started up and I drove away fine. Until the next day I ran some errands, washed the car, and went to get something to eat on my way back home.

I stopped to get something to eat by walking inside when I came back out..I tried starting my car like normal it would turned over but wouldn't stay running..every thing came on on the inside but the car wouldn't stay running.

My bro came up to give a jump just in case..that didn't work. I tried starting my car 10 times at least..on the last I smelt fuel. So, I just left it to have it towed the next day.

Tow truck came out the following morning. The guy asked what was wrong, said "will turn over but won't stay running"..he got in and it started right away??

My mechanic looked and got back to me a couple of days later..said everything was fine. Said he saw a couple of things on the screen but cleared them and reset my comp I'm guessin?? Said car was running fine the whole day he had it. Couldn't find the problem.

Got my car back Thursday..been starting up with no problem until this morning after I filled it up with gas..it's doing the same thing again.

What could it be?? Fuel pump? Fuel Filter..both haven't been changed. My Tiburon is a 2004 with 76K...the only other thing I've added to my car is a AEM cold air intake.

2004, 112K. AEM CAI, 18" XXR 527 wheels, 225/35/18 Yokohama S Drive, Red Demon eyes, F/L Headlights w/ Demon eyes, shorty antenna. JVC DVD/SD/USB 7" touchscreen. Painted emblems black. Door handles painted black.
Had her since 5 miles.

Last edited by Quiet Storm; 06-16-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 02:31 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tibutrauma has a spectacular aura aboutTibutrauma has a spectacular aura aboutTibutrauma has a spectacular aura about
Re: Car will turn over but won't stay running..

Does it stall out like it's out of fuel? Like, it tries to stay alive....

2006 Tiburon GT V6 Limited:

Mods-OBX Catback Exhaust w/ HushPower 2 Resonator, GlowShifts Oil Temp, Trans Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost/Vac, Volts gauges. Custom 3 gauge center fascia.

Shop Manuals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quiet Storm
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Yeah..on some turns it will go as if its going to run but just dies and other turns..it just does nothing.

2004, 112K. AEM CAI, 18" XXR 527 wheels, 225/35/18 Yokohama S Drive, Red Demon eyes, F/L Headlights w/ Demon eyes, shorty antenna. JVC DVD/SD/USB 7" touchscreen. Painted emblems black. Door handles painted black.
Had her since 5 miles.

Last edited by Quiet Storm; 06-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 02:52 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

lowtidefin25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the fuel filter. Check it and if u need to replace it.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quiet Storm
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtidefin25 View Post
Maybe the fuel filter. Check it and if u need to replace it.
Yeah, I know for a fact that hasn't been changed. I'd even replace the Fuel pump if I have to..just to single things out.

Had her since 5 miles.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 03:17 PM

I'm sure it's not the pump. Once the pump goes its gone. Here is a DIY for it
Fuel Filters
Before u do this u could check the fuel pressure first to see if the filter is obstructing or restricting the fuel flow.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quiet Storm
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtidefin25 View Post
I'm sure it's not the pump. Once the pump goes its gone. Here is a DIY for it
Fuel Filters
Before u do this u could check the fuel pressure first to see if the filter is obstructing or restricting the fuel flow.
Thanks for the link...so a fuel filter would make my car act like this? Anything else..cause other than this my car runs fine..seems to eat more gas tho..

Had her since 5 miles.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 04:10 PM

Poor gas deliver could cause bad fuel economy. If u are unsure of where to start a good starting point would be to check the fuel pressure when it acts up, or before doing the fuel filter replacement.

Just out of curiosity. Do you happen to have a spare key that may not be chipped? A spare key with no chip could possibly turn over the car but once you try to drive, it will kill the engine as a security measure.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quiet Storm
Garage
(Thread Starter)

I do have a spare key but I've never used it before..been using the original since day one.

Had her since 5 miles.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all

Wow no one reads do they.

Quote:
until this morning after I filled it up with gas..it's doing the same thing again.
Bet you it's the purge valve under the TB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Nov - COTM - Best Regional Tiburon (Canada)

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
post #11 of 16 Old 06-18-2013, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quiet Storm
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Yeah, what's been weird about my car is that it will start and run fine..actually runs better than it did before the accident..but it's as if I can only shut it off and start it only so many times before it decides it doesn't want to start again..

Like the last time it happened..I was able to start up and leave work, get something to eat, and before I got home I got gas..tried starting and it wouldn't start. Since my car was only 2 streets away..I walked home and went back up at 8pm and it started up.

I work overnite so when this last incident happened it was around 730am -8am.

When this happens I'll let it rest for a few hours (usually 8+ hours never tried anytime earlier) and I can go back up to where I left it and it will start again..very confusing on what it's doing.

Had her since 5 miles.

Last edited by Quiet Storm; 06-18-2013 at 02:52 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
BramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of light

Does it start and then die? Have you tried pressing the gas pedal down a bit to hold the revs up and keep it from dying? Does it only happen after you get gas? You said your mechanic cleared a code in the computer, what was the code?

My bet would also be on the purge valve
post #13 of 16 Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quiet Storm
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonTib View Post
Does it start and then die? Have you tried pressing the gas pedal down a bit to hold the revs up and keep it from dying? Does it only happen after you get gas? You said your mechanic cleared a code in the computer, what was the code?

My bet would also be on the purge valve
First time it happened..I had walked inside to get my food and came back out and it didn't start..what it was doing then was turning over but it was almost like it didn't have enough juice to stay running..I did on some try's pressing on the pedal to keep it going but once I let go it would shut off..on some starts I couldn't get anything.

The next time it did it was after filling up gas. It seems to just pick and choose when it acts like this..keep in mind when this does happen I'll let the car rest til later on in the evening or the next day and I'll go back and it will start right up. After that I'm able to drive and go places whenever for a couple of days.

UPDATE:

So today (6/1 I decided to take it back to my mechanic since it had did this incident again this past Sunday..my plan was to drive it around, shut it off and start it up to hope it would do it for him in his parking area..from 8am to Noon..it never did anything..started up everytime.

We decided to call it quits cause he wouldn't be able to figure out what it's doing if it wasn't doing it to him..so I went to go home. On my way home I figured I might as well get my wheels re-torqued like Discount wanted me to after 50 to 100 miles.

Once I got back in my car from Discount doing their job my Check Engine light was on..I know I don't ever want to see that but maybe this is finally the problem being exposed..or it could just my gas cap or my cold air intake..which I hope it's not cause I just went 90 miles today on a quarter tank..that's the best my car has done in awhile.

I'm no car expert or anything, the only thing I know how to do is keep it clean and pop off my headlights and taillights..but what's been happening almost seems electrical..like there's a short or something with a sensor. Doesn't make sense for my car to run and start perfectly fine for a few days and then not start all of a sudden. Although, this check engine light does bother me now..cause I've never had it come on before. (well, once but that was my gas cap the first year I had it..I just turned it a few more clicks and that turned off).

Would a purge valve make my car act like this?

Thanks for ur guys help..this is a mystery...

Had her since 5 miles.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all

Yes it can. Get the code read before it goes away so we can try and help diagnose it. I still think it's the purge valve though.

2012 Nov - COTM - Best Regional Tiburon (Canada)

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
post #15 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quiet Storm
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Sorry I didn't get on here yesterday..the mechanic still has my car, he never called me back yesterday. So, I don't know what the code was..he wasn't going to be able to get to my car til Wednesday..so I hope the "check engine" light was still on by the time he got to it..

Otherwise, he won't replace anything with me just saying so..he doesn't want me spending money on something that isn't the problem. Like at first, I was just telling him to replace the fuel filter (which I need anyway) but he wouldn't do it cause he said that's not why it's not starting.

Hopefully, I get an answer for u soon..

Knew I got on this site for a reason besides wanting to show off my Tibby and talk to fellow shark owners..

Wish I knew more about cars cause then I'd be able to post more, gotta get to 25, lol

Had her since 5 miles.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quiet Storm
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Ok, well, my mechanic had it for 3 days and nothing came about. Except for a couple codes P1167 and P1166..he check these both out and they were fine.

But what I've been reading is that both these codes are a link to a evap/ purge going bad causing the computer confusion on what's really going on or having a leak somewhere or the evap is not mixing right..so it sends out these codes..I've also read it could be a O2 sensor.

I almost wanna do a process of elimination..get these replaced and if my car doesn't start again, I'll know it's something else. Frustrating..

Had her since 5 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.