2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT idle problems - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
#1 Old 09-19-2013, 01:07 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LilViper is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Angry 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT idle problems

I have a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT it starts ok but, it does not idle correctly. When you rev the engine it takes a little while for it to return to idle. Then when it does it does not drop all the way down. It idles at about 1000 RPMs . Sometimes it wants to stay at or above 1500 PLEASE help, just looking for suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

SWIFT MAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT idle problems

you might want to try taking off the Throttle Position Sensor and cleaning the contacts.
#3 Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIFT MAN View Post
you might want to try taking off the Throttle Position Sensor and cleaning the contacts.
Thanks
#4 Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 AM
Captain Québec

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
NewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud of

Clean the MAF sensor. Happened to me this summer.

I bought MAF sensor cleaner and throttle body cleaner, cleaned both, and problem was solved.

Community Voted Best Staff Member Of 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 GS Sport Charcoal Grey Tiburon -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Stock Elantra - Sold
2008 GS Sport Tidal Wave Blue Tiburon - Actual
#5 Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTibOwner2011 View Post
Clean the MAF sensor. Happened to me this summer.

I bought MAF sensor cleaner and throttle body cleaner, cleaned both, and problem was solved.
I cleaned rhe MAF sensor, it seemed to help but it is still not quite right.the RPM still do not drop down correctly

Last edited by LilViper; 09-20-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add an explanation
#6 Old 09-20-2013, 03:17 AM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

SWIFT MAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried cleaning the idle air control valve? That, or you could have a vacuum leak.
#7 Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Captain Québec

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
NewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud ofNewTibOwner2011 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper View Post
I cleaned rhe MAF sensor, it seemed to help but it is still not quite right.the RPM still do not drop down correctly

Clean it again and again. I had to do it 2-3 times over a week. I probably had a lkt of dirt in my intake system.

If that doesn't help, we will have to dig deeper.

Community Voted Best Staff Member Of 2013

2007 GS Sport Charcoal Grey Tiburon -

2002 Stock Elantra - Sold
2008 GS Sport Tidal Wave Blue Tiburon - Actual
#8 Old 09-20-2013, 10:02 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tibutrauma has a spectacular aura aboutTibutrauma has a spectacular aura aboutTibutrauma has a spectacular aura about

At startup, your idle should be at about 1k rpms. This is to warm up the engine faster and get the oil moving. If it's not dropping back down after a couple of minutes try this.....Check your Idle speed control actuator. It controls your idle. They commonly get gum and dirt buildup and the valve can no longer move. Take some carb cleaner or MAF sensor cleaner and spray out both of the holes.

Are you getting a CEL or having any drivability issues?

SRI, OBX Catback Exhaust w/ HushPower 2 Resonator, GlowShifts Oil Temp, Trans Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost/Vac, Volts gauges. Custom 3 gauge center fascia.

Shop Manuals:

#9 Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibutrauma View Post
At startup, your idle should be at about 1k rpms. This is to warm up the engine faster and get the oil moving. If it's not dropping back down after a couple of minutes try this.....Check your Idle speed control actuator. It controls your idle. They commonly get gum and dirt buildup and the valve can no longer move. Take some carb cleaner or MAF sensor cleaner and spray out both of the holes.

Are you getting a CEL or having any drivability issues?
Yes I do get a CEL but it takes a couple of hours driving time. But now all it is doing is hanging at 1500 sometimes. If I bog it down below 1000 RPMs it will stay there.

Last edited by LilViper; 09-20-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: wording
#10 Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tibutrauma has a spectacular aura aboutTibutrauma has a spectacular aura aboutTibutrauma has a spectacular aura about

Ok, get the codes read from someplace like autozone. In the mean time, clean out that ISCA. Also, check the tension on your throttle cable, it should have a little bit of slack.

SRI, OBX Catback Exhaust w/ HushPower 2 Resonator, GlowShifts Oil Temp, Trans Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost/Vac, Volts gauges. Custom 3 gauge center fascia.

Shop Manuals:

#11 Old 09-20-2013, 10:33 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

The cable does have some slack in it.The last time I hadthe codes read, it was something about the efficiency of the Catalytic converter

Last edited by LilViper; 09-20-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: wording
#12 Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

StreetShark00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try cleaning the throttle body butterfly I know I had **** built up and it was getting caught open I cleaned it it and now idles under 1

03 6 spd. cai, blacked out tails, 12% tint, OBX catback, racelands, blue dd domes and license plate
#13 Old 09-20-2013, 10:10 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

This is where I am at, since I cleaned the MAF my car is running much better. If I stay in gear until it is below 1500 RPMs it drops just like it is supposed to. The only time it hangs, is when you push the clutch in above 2000 RPMs when coming to a stop.

Last edited by LilViper; 09-20-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: to complete the content
#14 Old 09-20-2013, 10:16 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Thanks everyone for all your help.
#15 Old 10-10-2013, 07:45 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RHamill

Catalyst effiency is code p0420, usually the case with that code is a plugged cat, plugging could come from a broken honey comb inside blocking the exhaust partially, or lots of carbon build up plugging the honey comb. Usually a loss if power and crazy shifting points is a result of that code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.