Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

05 Tiburon GT V6 issue

779 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tibby05jeff 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am new to the board and just started having a problem with my Tiburon. I do not know much about cars so please don't laugh. lol

My car for the past several months has been idling at stoplights around 2000 plus RPM's. Sometimes the car will idol normal. Basically, I have been ignoring it because it has not really affected the car that I know of in any way.

Friday I loaded the car up to go out of town. The car drove fine the first 20 miles and then all of a sudden when changing gears, the car started bucking really bad. While changing gears...the rpm's would rev up really high, then while driving at say 60 mph the car would just constantly buck every 2 or 3 seconds. it was so annoying (and bad) I turned the car around to take it home. Once I would get up to speed I would pop it into neutral and idle just to stop the bucking.

What do you guys think it could be? Is it somehow related to the idling issue I stated first or separate? I need my Tibby back and running strong again!

#2 ·
AT or MT?

Any CEL's? If so, what are the codes? Autozone can pull the codes for free if you don't have a OBD-II scanner.

How many miles on it?

When were the plugs last changed? It may be due to old plugs & wires.

Did you fill up with gas from a different place shortly before the bucking issue? It could be a tank of poor gas.

As to the idling, it could be the ground braid connection between the intake & the firewall. It could also be an intake leak, failing MAF or an issue with the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) or the throttle cable is a little tight (simple adjustment).

Where are you located, there may be a local forum member that can help out.:wink2:

#3 · (Edited)
From the way you described it, it sounds like it could possibly be a vacc leak. You could use the search on here to further educate yourself on those. Do you have a CAI? (Cold air intake) My intake separated very slightly and it caused the type of issue you are experiencing, although I imagine you could also have a leak in the stock intake (as @Charlie-III mentioned) It could also be a faulty MAF sensor. Those are the first things that I would check! Some more info on the car might help as well as letting us know if there is a CEL (which a Vacc leak would usually trigger)

Reactions: Charlie-III
#4 ·
Mine is a manual...84,000 miles. I am in Raleigh, NC. I had the timing belt changed at 64,000 miles. Not sure about the spark plugs. I am the 2nd owner. If the problem happens to be any of the following things u guys described, what kind of repair charges am I looking at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.