Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

a/c not working, were to start?

891 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Delmarosalinda 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am a college international student and i just got a 2003 Tiburon GT that my friend sold me. He has gone back to his(our) home country, Nepal for good.
I put all my savings and even my tuition on it and got it for $3000. It has 110,000 miles on it and is well maintained. This is my first car and i know very little about cars to be honest.

Here is my problem:
I hit the ac button and turn the temperature dial to cold. The ac button lights up, the rpm goes up a little but there is no cold air at all. What could be wrong with it? Do i have to add any type of refrigerant?
I don't have money to pay for the mechanic so its either do it myself or live without it in this Iowa heat. I drive 45 min to college.
I looked around the newbie section of the forum for ac related problems but did not understand most of it as i don't have much idea of the parts involved.
I do want to learn about my car as much as possible so i thought i would give it a try. Seems like a/c related problems are one of the toughest to solve and needs more knowledge.
Please let me know what i should do? Should i leave it and not try it or start somewhere and learn something?

Thanks to everyone who views/replies to my post.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you electrical systems are functioning, including the clutch on your AC compressor. IMO this points to no refrigerant (freon gas) in your system. Now I know you don't want to get a mechanic involved but without their test equipment to inject a dye into the system you are going to be hard pressed to identify what parts need fixed or replaced.

A cheap and dirty way to at least check for system pressure is to remove a cap from either the high or low pressure lines and depress on the check valve with something like a screwdriver tip and see if any gas releases. NEVER ATTEMPT TO DISCHARGE PRESSURIZED GASES WITH YOUR FINGERTIPS!! And of course do this with the car off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
If the system is low on gas, the AC clutch won't engage.

I would get a refill kit (one that has a gauge on it) and refill the system. It may help out for now.

#4 ·
Thank you very much for the reply.
Should i add freon gas?
I was thinking of buying the recharge kit and using it. Is that a good idea? It goes to the lower port that has L written on it right? I don't exactly know where it is on my tiburon but i will find out.
The engine is kind of dirty. I need to clean it as well. Any suggestions on how i might do that? I cant post the picture because of my post count
Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
your a/c has two fittings. A high side and a low side. Your gauge will only fit one of them. (low side) The high side fitting it bigger and your gauge won't go on it. I don't like the kind where the gauge is on the can. Empty the can and the gauge is done also.

I prefer the recharge kit with the gauge in the middle of the line. It is pretty accurate.

#6 ·
I believe the low pressure side is sorta behind the engine on the passengers side, yes, they are 2 different sizes.

The gas is R134a. The kit I use has the gauge on the hose, so you can buy refills which is only the can.
I would get 2, 1 gets you up close, the 2nd finishes it off.
Next recharge, start with the can that is mostly used, then swap the hose over to the better can.

The kit is a tall (10" high?) white can, not the short ones.

As to cleaning the engine, get it warm and spray it down with "Gunk Foamy engine brite". Let it sit ~15 minutes, then hose off.
Spray easy on plug boots & electrical connections, spray harder on just plain old metal.
May take 2 tries to get it clean.

#7 ·
OK, I looked at what I use.

It's the "Easy Chill R-134a" gas + oil & leak sealer. As I stated before, I would get a "kit" and a
refill".
Fill from the 1st can until either the system looks good or the pressure stops going up.
Then (if need be) move the hose/gauge to the 2nd can and top it off.

Save the 1st can to do the initial fill next time as needed. As you use it, the can pressure drops (Duh...) and may go below required system pressure. Thus the 2nd can that is ONLY used to finish off the charge.

Amazon page.... link

Specific kit I use.... link:nerd2:

#8 ·
OK, I looked at what I use.

It's the "Easy Chill R-134a" gas + oil & leak sealer. As I stated before, I would get a "kit" and a
refill".
Fill from the 1st can until either the system looks good or the pressure stops going up.
Then (if need be) move the hose/gauge to the 2nd can and top it off.

Save the 1st can to do the initial fill next time as needed. As you use it, the can pressure drops (Duh...) and may go below required system pressure. Thus the 2nd can that is ONLY used to finish off the charge.

Amazon page.... link

Specific kit I use.... link:nerd2:
I never used this type myself. Seems the hose and gauge is a one time use. There is no way to pierce a can.
I like this type Amazon.com: R134a with SubZero Synthetic A/C Booster, Reusable Recharge Hose and Inline Gauge, 19 oz. (345): Automotive

Then all you need is the smaller cans that cost about 10 dollars each.

#9 ·
The "valve" is part of the refill can. You unscrew the gauge & hose from one trigger and attach to a new can (that has a pre-installed valve/trigger).

BTW, the cans are 18oz, a bit more than a lot of others.

I just liked the fact that it was oil & sealer along with the R-134a.

#10 ·
Thank you every one for the replies.
I actually have to save some money to get the a/c charger, so my next paycheck will go to buying that.
But yesterday i found another problem that just came on, the fan seems to run very slowly and there is a humming noise(probably of the motor) as i turn the fan on.
Any suggestions? I am not frustrated by this problem but rather excited that i can get to learn more about the functioning of the car and hopefully with everyone's help here, fix the problem!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.