Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Short Ram Intake Install For 08 Tiburon 2.0

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  lemonsauce 
#1 ·
Hello all

I just purchase a DC Sports Short Ram Intake for my 08 Tiburon GS. I have no experience at all nore do I know what I'm doing. The install looks simple enough for me, but I don't know anything about the "tune". Can I put it on without a tune? If not, how do I do it?

And also, does tuning your car to burn higher octane fuel do anything? Or help with this Short Ram Intake I am installing?

I appreciate any and all replies, thanks guys!

#3 ·
A short ram is very simple, just a matter of finding all of the fasteners in the stock intake and then installing your intake making sure you orient the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) in the correct direction (there should be an arrow pointing in the direction of the airflow). You might want to unplug your battery after installation for ~10mins which will allow for the ECU to relearn after your mod, no tune needed.

Reactions: 08TiburonSE
#5 ·
Stock intake --> best balance of performance and sound reduction through the use of plastic pipe as opposed to metal. It draws air from the **lower** compartment of the engine bay through a small-ish opening, which hyundai engineers apparently found adequate. Safest option in terms of preventing water from entering from the intake. This will draw cooler air in comparison to a Short Ram intake (depending if you have the super short one or the one that extends to the stock air filter location, the one that draws air from the stock airbox location will obviously draw the same temp. air).

The logic behind a short ram intake --> air has a shorter distance to travel into the engine, and the filter is said to be less restrictive compared to stock so theoretically you would see an increased throttle response, and a small horsepower gain. But in reality you are sucking up hot air which is less dense leading to less efficient combustion so all you might get from using this is a decrease in power, and a cool sound.

The logic behind a cold air intake --> colder air gathered from behind the front bumper basically at curb level is colder than what is in the engine bay, the air is more dense, leading to more efficient combustion. This claims to result in an increase in throttle response and power. It also makes cool sounds in the upper rev range from my experience.

#7 ·
You can get a waterproof filter sock that goes over the filter and/or a bypass valve. Neither of these will 100% prevent hydrolocking, but they certainly can help prevent it. The risk of hydrolocking is something you have to live with when you have a CAI.

#8 · (Edited)
If you do get a CAI, NEVER go through a car wash again, even with the waterproof filter. I killed a brand new MAF thinking the sock would be able to hold back the water, I was wrong. at least with the type that goes into the bumper. also, bypass valves only really do anything when the filter is completely submerged, it wont stop water coming through the main filter on a rainy day.

#9 ·
Thanks for the help CoolCow! Appreciate the response and advice The_Evenger!

I might just leave it stock, that seems to be the best things to do. I will look at some exhaust parts instead.

Any other performance suggestions? I know there isn't much I can do to a 4 cylinder.

#12 ·
You would be pushing into CAI territory by extending the tubing. You should be fine with the short ram running through car washes etc because it sits protected under hood and in the engine well. my injen CAI sits behind the front bumper by the driver wheel, hence the worry about sucking water. Your short ram will work perfect for your current setup.

#14 ·
Looks like it, upper right corner by the flange. The pipe bulges a bit where the resonator is.

A resonator is sorta like a muffler, usually takes some of the rasp out of the exhaust note.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.