Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Just purchased

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  guardian560 
#1 ·
Just put a down payment on a 2006 Tiburon SE. It was hard to find a 6 speed anywhere nearby. 135000 miles, 1 owner, clean carfax, belt changed. Looks like original paint. I took it to a full service Firestone Center and had them go through it. The AC is not working and most likely needs at least a compressor, horn not working and both lower controle bushings are cracking. Other than that, they said it was fine. After market pipes put in without the catilitic converters along with new mufflers. All the Tecs said that is was done correctly, although maybe not legal. Sounds really good. Many mechanics looked at it (mostly kids) and said that it was in really good shape. Drove a little rough at first on the way to the Firestone center and then the mechanic took us for a ride and it was fine? It has been raing for the past 24 hrs and they said that since the air filter is exposed, it gets wet? Any way it runs great and I am getting it for $ 4300.00.

How did I do?

#3 ·
Re: Catalytic converter

Welcome to NT.

I believe VA has emissions testing, so I would say you will have issues getting inspected. Check your state DMV vehicle inspection rules. You likely also have a CEL which will fail you in most states.

#5 ·
Dave, I merged 2 of your threads to keep info together.
@dmdicks, OP lives in VA.

#7 ·
I just looked up Virginia Emissions laws and your screwed. They do both a visual for stock cat converters and also run an OBD 2 test that checks for emissions monitor readiness. You will fail on both counts, as well as you most likely have a malfunction indicator code or 5 which in VA looks to be also a fail.

VA Emissions Regs

#8 ·
Well we thought that might be the case when we bought it, but the inspection was new so I had a year to either add the cats or find someone that would let it go. It was changed out correctly, clean and sounds good so we will keep it for now. Can anyone tell me what that does for horsepower and how else it changes the car.

#9 ·
The Cat converter will add a little bit of restriction to your exhaust which will reduce your HP ever so slightly. While you would see a few numbers on a dyno, you will not notice a huge difference in driving. I am actually in the process of having a cat welded into my 04 headers as I get ready to sell the car. It is costing me about $300.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.