Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

water on air filter

869 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  guardian560 
#1 ·
The Tiburon I am about to purchase lost power at the higher RPMs when I drove it at first. Then it went away. It felt almost like cloged fuel injectors or bad gas. The repair shop said it was most likely due to all the rain we have had and that it gets into the uncovered air filter. Is this true and how do I prevent it.

#2 ·
Is it a stock intake or SRI/CAI?

If stock, I doubt it's your issue.

#3 ·
I think he's got a cold air intake on there so depending on the amount of water that made it through the filter that could be your problem. The MAF sensors don't like to get wet! ;) Too much water will also hydrolock your engine so if you live somewhere that rains a lot make your CAI into a Short Ram Intake to keep it alive.

#4 ·
Injen also makes a "hydrosheild" for about $20 that is suppose to block water from going through your CAI filter. No personal experience from it but online test videos and such show good results.

#5 ·
Typically, water splashing on an air filter will not affect performance at all. Submerging a filter in water is a different story and you usually know real fast when that happens (and cry as you look for a new engine).
I have driven through plenty of rain storms with my AEM cold air intake behind the massive mesh opening in the warrior bumper and never felt any decrease in power while dodging puddles like a champ. If you drove into a puddle real fast and pushed a bunch of water through the filter it might be enough to mess with the MAF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.