Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Removing Trim Parts and Painting Tips!

DIY: 
128K views 328 replies 149 participants last post by  NickLAudio 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, here we go. By popular demand, a DIY for removing the trim pieces in your interior and the painting tips I used.
First things first, Removal!

A screw driver is ALL you need to get these pieces apart. A smaller, thinner flat head screwdriver works great!

We'll start here with the door handle. Get your flathead in the small gap on the front side of the door handle. You'll see it if you look in front of the handle. The gap is bigger than the dividing line of the 2 pieces. Place it in, twist and pull a little, you'll see it start to seperate. Dont be affraid to get forcefull, you'll have to! Work your way down as it pulls apart. Once you feel like its loose enough, place your flathead in the starting spot and PULL! PULL HARD! -POP!!!-

To remove the trim behind the door lever, you'll see the screw there in the open AND there is a screw behind the handle. Once you pop off the handle, the 2nd screw will be exposed. Take those 2 out, and the trim can now be removed.

Now, for the window control panel plates. Take your flathead, and place it under the piece in the middle. There are 3 large tabs keeping this part in place, 2 on the front side, one on the back. Just pry up a little (be careful not to gouge your door) working the screwdriver top to bottom, it will pop off once you clear the tabs. As you seperate it from the door, youll be able to see the tabs. EASY!

Now, for the round vents ONTOP of the dash, this was simple. There are 2 tabs (a big one and a small one) holding this down. The tabs are aprox. at 5 and 11 oclock. Just get your flat head under the vent in any location where there is NO tab, and lift. They pop right off.

For the center fascia, no tools are needed. Just pop open the ash tray, get your fingers underneath the fascia, and pull. Again, just tabs all around this piece are holding it on.

If youre interested in doing the trim where your dome light and sunglass slot is, start with the 2 screws you see when you open the sunglass door. Next you'll need to get the plastic part off where the light is.

Now, to get your shifter trim piece off (THIS IS FOR MANUAL TRANS ONLY) remove the shift nob and the spring underneath it. Once you get those off, simply grab hold, and pull up. Just tabs holding this on as well. Now, if you have the Auto-Trans, use JackMcNasty's AutoBoot DIY. Here's the thread. http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8369

For the round AC vents, here is what you do...
-Take out the center console and disconnect all the wires.
-Remove the radio.
-The left vent has three screws, one on the left, one on the right and one on the bottom.
-The right vent only has two, one on each side.
-Take out the vents once unscrewed.
-Unclip the vent rings from the vent, there should be four clips on the vent.
-Take off rings, clip on new rings.
-Put everything back together.

Or, you can just cut them off. If you don't plan on using them again, you can hack them! Get yourself one of those really short screw drivers and that will help you along easier!

If you want to paint the gauge bezel, here's what you need to do. Under the topside of the gauge bezel, youll see 2 screws, take those out. When those are out, grab hold and pull down and out at the same time. It will be tuff to pull, but it will come off. Its only held in there by a few tabs and some insulation. Piece of cake!

Now that you have all of your pieces off, wash them with warm soap and water. NOTHING ABRASIVE!

Now, for the painting tips, here is what I used. Dupli-Color Primer, Paint, AND Clear Coat. If you want to use the same color I did, here are the numbers. Look on the UPC lable...

DS FM 226 SILVER (M)
0 26916 1226 1
Its a 5oz can of Dupli-Color Auto Spray.

OK, Several LIGHT coats of a good filler primer. Here's why. You dont really notice scratches and gouges on your black trim. Trust me, as soon as you lighten it up, every little crinkle, ding, or hack is noticable. The filler primer will help fix this. You may need to sand A LITTLE to fill in or reduce a scratch. The filler primer helps that to be accomplished with better results. Allow 10-15 between coats then a good 30 min before you paint especially if you did any touch up.

Now same thing with the paint. Several LIGHT coats of paint, almost like a dusting. You dont want paint to pool up in your corners. Again, 10-15 between coats. Now you want to let the paint sit for about an hour before you clear coat.

Clear coat is a little different. The first app should be very light, getting a little heavier with each application. Clear coat to me is the key! This is going to make your work shine and also provide protection. I did lots and lots of clear coat on all my pieces. This to me is the most important. And Wa-Laaa! There you'll have it!

Now, what I did for the door handles is a very patient tape job. It took me about 20-30 min for each handle. Lay a long piece of tape along the long dividing line of the handle allowing it to overlap into the smooth part just a little. Then I took a real thin screw driver and pressed the overlapping tape into the crack. Get it all in there. If it looks like its a little sloppy, it WILL be sloppy when you pull the tape. Also, its a good idea to put at least two layers of tape on so it wont leak through, you know, just incase you get a little TOO heavy with the spray. Finally, dont pull the tape until it is good and dry!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! ENJOY PEOPLE! GOOD LUCK!

See less See more
#29 · (Edited)
Re: DIY For Removing Trim Parts and Painting Tips!

There we go, everything plastic in the front of my car is now silver! I did everything you did + the guage cassing, or whatever u wanna call it. Looks great, i used "Radiant Silver" from motomaster, its like the exact color of the car down to the little sparkles in the paint, looks awesome. Thanks for the DIY!

Damn, forgot the sunglass holder...national holiday tomorow...good thing :D

#30 ·

Johns03Tib
Sorry man it this point i hate u for showing this DIY because it made me want to do it ...... and well i hate that i started to do it............. but i know when im done i will love u for posting it, thanks i will post the pics when im done.

#307 ·

Wal-Mart! :pineapple
I have to say prep work is key. I took all the trim out of my tiburon and sanded the scratches and marks down with a fine sand block and then went over it with a drone sand block and then wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and hit it with rust oleum primer and then rust oleum titanium silver paint. It is drying in my garage right now and it looks amazing!

#36 ·

and it did not make it darker, cause mine looked great until i clear coated it and it made it darker, and clear coat is suppost to make the base paint shine, and even then 2 days later when i touched it left a finger print, and when clear coat is dry (u can run your nail in it and it will not scratch it) "like car paint".

#37 ·

Tuscanishark007 said:
and it did not make it darker, cause mine looked great until i clear coated it and it made it darker, and clear coat is suppost to make the base paint shine, and even then 2 days later when i touched it left a finger print, and when clear coat is dry (u can run your nail in it and it will not scratch it) "like car paint".
Im not following you here...

You're saying your clear coat wasnt dry after 2 days? :3_confuse

#40 ·

The exact type of clear coat I used is in the first post. I sprayed mine in the garage, then let them sit for a while. But just an hour or so, definetly not 3 or 4 or 5 days. I cant think of ANYTHING that coudnt dry in a day or so. Very odd....

You sure its clear coat? If so, what type are you using?

#42 ·

Tuscanishark007 said:
yea, 5oz can of clear coat Dupli-Color Auto Spray, why did it not make yours darker, i know clear coat should make it just shiny. what type did u use.
Everything youre saying is just not making any sense to me. I mean, I understand what you are saying, but I cant figure out why your clear coat darkened your finish. And also why it is taking a year to dry. Im confused! The only thing I can even think might have happened is that your can of clear coat was defective somehow.

#50 ·

just did mine.

pretty easy for the time spent.

cost me about 30 bucks.

and thats because i'm between houses and needed masking tape, exacto knife, primer, aluminum paint, and alchol, and rags for prep.

could have been cheaper if I was sporting any of that in the house already.

awesome DIY! I like it! :3_winkthu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.