Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Finishing my automatic to manual conversion

21K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Theron92 
#1 ·
Well after years and years with my Tiburon (back in 03, and being turbo'd since 04), I'm converting my tranmission to manual. I have obtained a totaled 03 5 speed Tiburon in which im swapping all the parts I need directly to my car (tranny, wireharness, all accessories related to the tranny). I'm about half done, considering it was a pain removing an engine/tranmission out of a front ended Tiburon whose body was wrapped around the engine.

I will be including pictures and build notes... should be a nice addition to my turbo setup.

#8 · (Edited)
Yesterday I removed the engine and tranny from the car. This is a picture of what it looked like before I took the hood off to get the lift in place to pull the motor.

11/28/2001:

* Remove firewall from 5 speed car (dont feel like gashing up and cutting the firewall I have now... wouldnt look nice).

* Remove both dashes.

* Disconnect both main engine harnesses.

* Trace mounting holes for the clutch pedal and obtain coils to allow me to stud the firewall so I can use the oem bolts to mount up.

#10 ·
auto--->manual=WIN! cant wait to see the finished product.

#14 ·
Is this going to be a daily driver for you, or a track runner? Cause something strong like a 6-puck clutch is going to be tough for daily driveability but will handle your power.

#20 ·
just curious ... if you have a solstice GXP ... why bother? Its far easier and will be much more fun on a Solstice

Second is ... if your hp goals are 400+ why would you switch to manual? The auto will handle the power for less $ and be faster

I am not knocking the manual, i have a 6sp in my new car, but on the tib when you go over 300whp auto>manual by a lot

#22 ·
1.) I like a challenge, and I always wanted to have a manual 5 speed Tiburon for my Turbo setup (7 years with my automatic boosted, time for a change). Also I changed from my Solstice to a 2011 2SS Camaro 6 speed; wanted a new everyday driver. Need to upgrade my signature.

2.) The automatic does not handle power for less because of the extensive upgrades between the torque converter change, to tranny valve body pump, and stronger clutch packs, to dual coolers... I have done it all since 2003 and spent a lot of $$$ experimenting and proving theories right and wrong to myself.

#26 ·
This project is very exciting.

#34 ·
I know I am going to get booed for this, but I actually want to go the other way, lol sick of driving stick, and want to swap to auto so my wife can drive it while I take the truck. The tib is just too small for all my work gear.
Doubt the swap would be worth the price, would love to see a final tally on this.
Good luck with the project!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.