My Custom Bypass Valve - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

Go Back   New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums > GK Performance (03+) > V6 - Naturally Aspirated
NewTiburon.com is the premier Hyundai Tiburon Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Tibutrauma
NewTiburon.com God

Sex: Male
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tibutrauma has a spectacular aura aboutTibutrauma has a spectacular aura about

Old My Custom Bypass Valve 04-22-2012 , 10:44 AM

I wanted to share In idea I had with everyone to see what they think. I had an idea to make a Bypass Valve from simple items from the hardware store for under $15. I designed one yesterday and made an valve operation gif. The valve will plug into a tee connector before the MAF sensor as opposed to an inline bypass valve sold on the market. Im also working out an idea to add a sensor so that when the valve opens even alittle, it will trigger an audible tone and illuminate an LED on the dash. I need some input. Ideas? Concerns? Tell me what you think...

Edit: I appologise if I came off as trying to make a "DIY: Bypass Valve" Thread. What I meant was I was designing a BP valve and I could make a NON-Operational concept from items bought at the hardware store, which I did. It's assembled and works in theory. I just needed to have a physical concept to see what could be done to improve the design.

Last edited by Tibutrauma; 04-26-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tibutrauma
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-24-2012 , 07:27 PM

Nobody wants to elaborate on this idea??

mvpcougar07
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
mvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-24-2012 , 07:49 PM

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this? If you are trying to make a fake BOV, it won't work. Your NA engine isn't making boost so there won't be anything to push your "valve" out. Remember, when an engine is naturally aspirated, it runs under vacuum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spartacus
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Spartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-24-2012 , 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpcougar07 View Post
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this? If you are trying to make a fake BOV, it won't work. Your NA engine isn't making boost so there won't be anything to push your "valve" out. Remember, when an engine is naturally aspirated, it runs under vacuum.
I think he's referring to a CAI bypass valve to prevent hydrolock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bluerd2
NewTiburon.com Professional

Bluerd2 will become famous soon enough

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-24-2012 , 10:30 PM

My problem with bypass valves are, what is the point of having a cold are when air will be taken from the path with the least resistance, being the bypass valve. but that is just my view on bypass valves in general.

My suggestion would be build it with good materials, like some sort of spring maybe instead of a rubber band.

mvpcougar07
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
mvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of lightmvpcougar07 is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-24-2012 , 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
I think he's referring to a CAI bypass valve to prevent hydrolock.
Ah, I guess that makes sense. This part makes me think otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibutrauma View Post
Im also working out an idea to add a sensor so that when the valve opens even alittle, it will trigger an audible tone and illuminate an LED on the dash.
Guess I'll wait for the OP to clarify.

Tibutrauma
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-25-2012 , 07:20 PM

The idea is for a bypass on a CAI system. The design is an initial idea (concept). A spring would be a better idea but you would have to know what the engine produces in terms of vacuum ( which I believe is measured in Hg) and what that translates to in spring tension. From my boost/Vac gauge, I know my intake produces about a 19-20 Hg vacuum. Obviously if the vacuum increases to say 25 or 30, something is wrong. The problem is that I know very little about the acual numbers when it comes to hydrolocking. I if I decide to get serious about this idea I will take a standard tibby intake and hook a shop vac to it and produce a "typical" vacuum with a filter and work out what acually happens during a hydrolock. Any ideas, advise, experiences would be helpful.

breeechan
Dedication to Thai Cuisine

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
breeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud of

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-25-2012 , 07:54 PM

the pressure in the intake piping will be essentially 1 atm. The pressure you want to determine is that in the pipe whilst the engine is trying to ingest water. You must find if this hydrolocking can occur from large amounts of water mingled with air, or by a column of water trying to move up the intake. In the latter case, you could say that the engine will soon deplete the air in the piping and cause a 0 vacuum condition which would draw the water up, as long as the intake piping is not 22 ft deep . To be safe, you could find the spring that will open under 0.7 or so atm, of course finding a suitable value may require some trial and error.

Lightest DD tib? 2593 lbs and falling

Quote:
I wish I had 5 Guys inside of me right now...
Quote:
That is pretty much how I felt the first time I had Five Guys...

Tibutrauma
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-25-2012 , 10:53 PM

Thats my concern. The question is, what amount of water in the cylinder constitutes the term "hydrolocking"? A droplet? A teaspoon? At what point, does any amount of water, start causing damage to the engine.

I thought of another idea just now. What if you had a moisture sensor downstream of the MAF that when too much water accumulates on the sensor, a circuit trips an emergency open valve to the bypass valve.

Doomsday Postcard
Banned

Doomsday Postcard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-25-2012 , 11:09 PM

Quote:
Thats my concern. The question is, what amount of water in the cylinder constitutes the term "hydrolocking"? A droplet? A teaspoon? At what point, does any amount of water, start causing damage to the engine.

I thought of another idea just now. What if you had a moisture sensor downstream of the MAF that when too much water accumulates on the sensor, a circuit trips an emergency open valve to the bypass valve.
Soda fountains @ fast food restaurants have those liquid sensors that stop the flow of soda...

Chuckie
Swim away fishes...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Chuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another levelChuckie is on another level

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-26-2012 , 02:52 AM

Hydrolock is when the engine locks up because it tried to compress water. If it gets that far into the engine, one drop is enough. I question the preciseness of your rubberband. You should buy a bag of them just in case.

Oh, is the aem valve not sufficient. It's pretty damn cheap and already made. You won't have to buy sodas, coffee filters, or rubberbands....all things that don't belong in an engine bay unless you're reenacting a scene from MacGyver, the A-team, Survivorman, etc.

Chuckie
2009 Mazda 6 GT - Rotora, Ksport, TSW, Injen | 2012 Gen Coupe 2.0T - ARK, HKS, K&N, PA, RMR, Sequence, Stillen
-> PSN = NT_c-man

Regina
Lost in Oklahomo

Sex: Female
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Regina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another levelRegina is on another level

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-26-2012 , 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-man View Post
Hydrolock is when the engine locks up because it tried to compress water. If it gets that far into the engine, one drop is enough. I question the preciseness of your rubberband. You should buy a bag of them just in case.

Oh, is the aem valve not sufficient. It's pretty damn cheap and already made. You won't have to buy sodas, coffee filters, or rubberbands....all things that don't belong in an engine bay unless you're reenacting a scene from MacGyver, the A-team, Survivorman, etc.
^^^ That bolded part. Why reinvent the wheel. One is already made.

Last edited by Regina; 04-26-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Doomsday Postcard
Banned

Doomsday Postcard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-26-2012 , 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-man View Post

I literally spit my coffee out when reading your last sentence mwahahaha kudos!

jovanie
NewTiburon.com God

jovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of lightjovanie is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-26-2012 , 07:59 AM

I still dont get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkare
the trifecta of tiburon groups:

NT
HHOP
Puerto Rico

and none of them seem to get along with each other

Tweaked Tay

Tweaked Tay has a spectacular aura aboutTweaked Tay has a spectacular aura about

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-26-2012 , 08:04 AM

This is...in general...a BAD idea.

Good theory, and good try, but hit this too low quality to even hold together. Doesn't the pressure get quite high in a bypass valve?

Bye Bye Tib, Hello Renesis!

Tibutrauma
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-26-2012 , 08:21 PM

As I said before, the idea is concept. Obviously, the acual product is not going to have rubberbands but rather an extension spring. There will be safties in place in the event that the spring fails. Though it is unlikely, if it does fail, there will be a screen to catch the valve. It's not going to be made of paper coffe filters and rubberbands. Those are there to demonstrate the mechanisim in action. I'm working on a design of what the product may look like. When I'm done I'll post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerd2 View Post
My problem with bypass valves are, what is the point of having a cold are when air will be taken from the path with the least resistance, being the bypass valve. but that is just my view on bypass valves in general.

My suggestion would be build it with good materials, like some sort of spring maybe instead of a rubber band.
That path of least resistance will be the filter. Breechan pointed out that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeechan View Post
the pressure in the intake piping will be essentially 1 atm. The pressure you want to determine is that in the pipe whilst the engine is trying to ingest water. You must find if this hydrolocking can occur from large amounts of water mingled with air, or by a column of water trying to move up the intake. In the latter case, you could say that the engine will soon deplete the air in the piping and cause a 0 vacuum condition which would draw the water up, as long as the intake piping is not 22 ft deep . To be safe, you could find the spring that will open under 0.7 or so atm, of course finding a suitable value may require some trial and error.
...which is invaluable advise. There is a spring out there with the right tension that will keep the valve closed until water starts coming in. Perhaps the tension will have to be calibrated for each persons engine. Meaning that, if say I get a maximum vac. of 21 inHg when coming down from a high RPM, water starts making its way up the intake and the vacuum hits 24 inHg, I want to make sure that the bypass valve opens at 22 inHg and the water wont reach the TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked Tay View Post
This is...in general...a BAD idea.

Good theory, and good try, but hit this too low quality to even hold together. Doesn't the pressure get quite high in a bypass valve?
Bypass valves are a bad idea or my design is a bad idea? What pressure? The BP valves are designed to open under vacuum....

Tibutrauma
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-26-2012 , 10:05 PM

Here is an idea for a basic water sensor design...

The blue spots represent water vapor or mist into the engine. The senosr is placed inline with the air intake before the MAF sensor. The sensor is sandwiched between two non-conductive screens that will concentrate water mist into water droplets. Should one of these droplets contact and bridge a red and black wire, it will trip a circuit that first lights an in-dash indicator, then trips an action such as opening a bypass valve or a circuit that cuts ignition to all cylinders in an extreme situation.

Tibanator
NewTiburon.com God

Tibanator has a spectacular aura aboutTibanator has a spectacular aura about

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-26-2012 , 10:16 PM

just run a short ram intake or stay away from puddles, simple as that lol

Albuquerque Tiburon club web page

<ShakesBEER> ahaha "Tibanator" "I come from the future to change the past. I need to kill all Subaru!"
<Tibanator> my nick name came from my friend when my tib beat a wrx turbo, he said damn this is the terminator so ill call it the tibanator.

walkthetorque
NewTiburon.com Rookie

walkthetorque is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-26-2012 , 11:32 PM

The heat in the engine bay means the rubber band & cheap plastics won't last long.

Tweaked Tay

Tweaked Tay has a spectacular aura aboutTweaked Tay has a spectacular aura about

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-27-2012 , 08:20 AM

Quote:
Bypass valves are a bad idea or my design is a bad idea? What pressure? The BP valves are designed to open under vacuum....
Bypass valve's are a fine idea, it's the negative pressure generated by the vaccume. Ever seen how easy it is to crush a pop can with suction?

And putting a rubber band anywhere neer heat is a bad idea. Not to mention they dry out and crack quite quickly.

Bye Bye Tib, Hello Renesis!

Last edited by Tweaked Tay; 04-27-2012 at 08:21 AM.

andbudzi
NewTiburon.com God

andbudzi has a spectacular aura aboutandbudzi has a spectacular aura aboutandbudzi has a spectacular aura about

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-27-2012 , 08:36 AM

cut your intake tube so that filter sits up high - right up against the hole where the pipe comes from engine bay (just like ebay cai does ) and no hudrolocking....unless you are in the 2 feet of water.

Or if you that paranoid - cut your intake pipe right before it makes a turn to go into the fender-well - intake will sit right behind the headlight.

03 GT 6spd. t3/t4+:
CAI, SSA H/E, Stg3 Lower & Upper IM, 60mm TB, Mafterburner, Cams, Stg.3 SB clutch, Spec Flywheel, spacer, Eibach rear sway bar, strut bar, motor mounts, Megan Racing springs, EBC brakes.
06 RX8 Shinka 6sd.
"A wise man once told me, racing a honda is like being in the special olympics... you may win but you're still a retard."

Last edited by andbudzi; 04-27-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Tibutrauma
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-27-2012 , 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked Tay View Post
Bypass valve's are a fine idea, it's the negative pressure generated by the vaccume. Ever seen how easy it is to crush a pop can with suction?

And putting a rubber band anywhere neer heat is a bad idea. Not to mention they dry out and crack quite quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkthetorque View Post
The heat in the engine bay means the rubber band & cheap plastics won't last long.
For the third time.....the rubber band and soda can bottom is a CONCEPT. I'm not saying to put those in your engine. I made that as a visual so people can understand the design and its mechanics. Please go back and read the first post lol!

Spartacus
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Spartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of lightSpartacus is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-27-2012 , 08:03 PM

Quote:
Here is an idea for a basic water sensor design...

The blue spots represent water vapor or mist into the engine. The senosr is placed inline with the air intake before the MAF sensor. The sensor is sandwiched between two non-conductive screens that will concentrate water mist into water droplets. Should one of these droplets contact and bridge a red and black wire, it will trip a circuit that first lights an in-dash indicator, then trips an action such as opening a bypass valve or a circuit that cuts ignition to all cylinders in an extreme situation.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were already inline air pipe water sensors that are proven to work. If you're going to try this, I at least wouldn't reinvent the wheel and just try to find a premanufactured sensor, or if you can't find one for sale, just copy an existing design.

Tibutrauma
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: My Custom Bypass Valve 04-27-2012 , 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there were already inline air pipe water sensors that are proven to work. If you're going to try this, I at least wouldn't reinvent the wheel and just try to find a premanufactured sensor, or if you can't find one for sale, just copy an existing design.
I'm sure there is, I've not seen any for automotive applications though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.