Brakes locked up - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

Go Back   New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums > GK Performance (03+) > Wheel, Tire, & Suspension
NewTiburon.com is the premier Hyundai Tiburon Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

xalexmaximovx
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Sex: Male
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
xalexmaximovx is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Brakes locked up 01-02-2008 , 11:29 AM

Ok so the ghost in my car is at it again, this morning when I was driving to work I noticed that the car was not pulling too well, when I stopped for coffee literally 2 mins from my house and looked at my back breaks they were smoking. If I take the e brake off and leave it on neutral even on a hill the car wont roll, back brakes are completely locked. Drove the car back to my house to get into my old daily driver, when I pulled into the driveway I didn’t see smoke…so I decided to touch the caliper…what a BAD idea =(

Any ghost busters ideas on what i should do?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

bms231
Former CIO

bms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another level

Old Re: Brakes locked up 01-02-2008 , 11:49 AM

e-brake cable frozen? it got pretty cold last night. sometimes water gets in the rubber line of the ebrake and freezes it.

one thing i have always wonder about hyundai is how exactly their ebrake system works. i always thought it was an additional piece of metal inside the rotor on the right rear brake. kinda making it a psuedo drum brake.

yea it is i just checked. so i aint smoking crack.

I am no longer an admin. Please do not PM me with site issues. Use the report post button.

xalexmaximovx
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Old Re: Brakes locked up 01-02-2008 , 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms231 View Post
e-brake cable frozen? it got pretty cold last night. sometimes water gets in the rubber line of the ebrake and freezes it.

one thing i have always wonder about hyundai is how exactly their ebrake system works. i always thought it was an additional piece of metal inside the rotor on the right rear brake. kinda making it a psuedo drum brake.

yea it is i just checked. so i aint smoking crack.

It was cold, but the car has seen colder. How can I prevent this from happening if thats the case? brake bleed?

timmy_mpls
NewTiburon.com God

timmy_mpls

Old Re: Brakes locked up 01-02-2008 , 12:03 PM

my right rear is locked up too, but the outer pad is worn down to the metal, so i dont think it's the "pseudo drum" thing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- i know my brake light is out -

paxx
Banned

paxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: Brakes locked up 01-02-2008 , 12:04 PM

Do you have tension in your e-brake line? If not, frozen or snagged line. You can take off the rear wheels and manually disengage the e-brake by pulling the lever the line is connected to towards the rear of the car. Its not easy, but possible. Try defrosting the line with a hair dryer. If that doesn't do it your line may have snagged. If thats the case, just cut the line and have the dealer do a warranty repair.
If you do have tension in your e-brake line when you release the lever you probably have a stuck caliper. In which case you would have to get a caliper removal tool attach it to a good C clamp and compress the caliper back into its housing.

---
Edit:
How cold is it in virginia? I don't ever remeber it getting below freezing when I lived there

Last edited by paxx; 01-02-2008 at 12:06 PM.

xalexmaximovx
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Old Re: Brakes locked up 01-02-2008 , 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxx View Post
Do you have tension in your e-brake line? If not, frozen or snagged line. You can take off the rear wheels and manually disengage the e-brake by pulling the lever the line is connected to towards the rear of the car. Its not easy, but possible. Try defrosting the line with a hair dryer. If that doesn't do it your line may have snagged. If thats the case, just cut the line and have the dealer do a warranty repair.
If you do have tension in your e-brake line when you release the lever you probably have a stuck caliper. In which case you would have to get a caliper removal tool attach it to a good C clamp and compress the caliper back into its housing.

---
Edit:
How cold is it in virginia? I don't ever remeber it getting below freezing when I lived there

Thanks for the info, two questions. Hows me cutting the break line warranty covered? Is the caliper removal part under warranty?

Its not that cold, but the wind kicks your butt

bms231
Former CIO

bms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another levelbms231 is on another level

Old Re: Brakes locked up 01-02-2008 , 12:36 PM

if u cut the brake line u just say it snapped. hence, warranty coverage. not sure if it is a 'wearable' item though. if ur still under warranty just take it to them and say they locked up.

I am no longer an admin. Please do not PM me with site issues. Use the report post button.

paxx
Banned

paxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: Brakes locked up 01-02-2008 , 12:53 PM

It's not a wearable item. I had to do the same to mine due to a snagged line. They had no problem replacing it under warranty. If you do cut it, just tell them it snapped.
It's possible but difficult to remove the pin from the e brake lever, but its a pain in the ***. Try that route if your uncomfortable cutting the line, but if it already has tension it can be a nightmare.

If its in fact the caliper you can free it using the method I posted earlier. I would then bring it to the dealer and have them replace the caliper.

Edit:

BTW you most likely warped your rotors due to the heat. They will need to be reground, or replaced.

Last edited by paxx; 01-02-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.