How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

Go Back   New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums > GK Performance (03+) > V6 - Naturally Aspirated
NewTiburon.com is the premier Hyundai Tiburon Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Closed Thread

GaTo
NewTiburon.com God

Sex: Male
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GaTo is an unknown quantity at this point

Old How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-17-2008 , 03:42 PM

Hey guys like it says I have a radiator leak.

(on a side note for the past two days I have been smelling a sweet smell similar to pancake syrup don't know if its the same thing)

Anyway so I was driving the tib and I noticed the A/C wasn't as cold as it should it be. Looked at my guages and noticed the thermostat was getting hotter. I also realized when I was driving the A/C got cooler and when I stopped at a light it pretty much got warm. So I turned off the A/C and drove the rest of the way with windows down.

Popped my hood open and noticed that there was coolant spewed everywhere in the engine bay. Located the source and its a tiny 2 inch crack on the top of my radiator.

Can I fix this? What can I use to plug this crack up? Don't think silicone will work because it gets hot as hell in that spot.

Should I buy one of those radiator stop leak bottles? Will this work if the leak is on top of the radiator?

What is the radiator made of? Metal?

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

De Pinga - adj/. literal meaning 'of co ck; to be used in situations of frustration, annoyance, and boredom

Quick reply to this message  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

yloshrk
NewTiburon.com Expert

yloshrk has a spectacular aura aboutyloshrk has a spectacular aura aboutyloshrk has a spectacular aura about

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-17-2008 , 03:48 PM

New radiator time.....

Garage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^then....NOW: 2010 GENESIS COUPE 3.8 TRACK
I'D RATHER HAVE A BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME THAN A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY!!!

"GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY/GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL"

valkare
NewTiburon.com God

valkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond repute

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-17-2008 , 03:57 PM

try to avoid the stop leak and temporary solutions, it's like putting a bandage on something that needs stitches. Just pony up and do it right by getting a new one. Your a/c naturally gets cooler when driving because you're slamming air into it, helping it cool.

Regarding the pancake smell, I had that in one of my old cars with a radiator problem whenever i turned on the heater, although i don't think that my radiator smelled like pancakes when it was leaking..... coolant has a very distinct smell, which is certainly not sweet.

2007 e92 space gray 328i w/ dakota gray interior

draper84
NewTiburon.com Expert

draper84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-17-2008 , 04:02 PM

Coolant has a sweet smell, i had three blown headgaskets on my supra, and everytime it would smell sweet. It is almost maple syrup like

and like previous posters have said do it right the first time. get a radiator.

BTG CAI. LED interior lights, Custom under axle 2.5" exhaust, 1Watt city lights, 6000k HID, Powder coated aluminum mesh grille.

valkare
NewTiburon.com God

valkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond reputevalkare has a reputation beyond repute

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-17-2008 , 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draper84 View Post
Coolant has a sweet smell, i had three blown headgaskets on my supra, and everytime it would smell sweet. It is almost maple syrup like
yea probably is like that in the system, but i think we can all agree it smells like paste... or balls... or just unpleasant at all other times.

If you're leaking a lot try to just constantly refill it with water constantly when going to a mechanic (if you are taking it there). It's illegal to be spilling coolant all over the place.

2007 e92 space gray 328i w/ dakota gray interior

Last edited by valkare; 07-17-2008 at 04:05 PM.

timmy_mpls
NewTiburon.com God

timmy_mpls

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-17-2008 , 04:07 PM

it's prolly fixable, but replace it.

- i know my brake light is out -

915_TUSCANI
NewTiburon.com Novice

915_TUSCANI is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-17-2008 , 04:25 PM

dont wast your money fixing it i bought a new one i had a crack on the top all the way across i got one for $40 brand new in the box , and its a oem part

915_TUSCANI
CAI, 2.50 Exh. W/ Megan tip, DZ Lowering Springs, B&M STS, Painted Diffuser, Multi Gauges, Blue LED City Lights, S2K antenna, Test Pipe, Clear Corners, Fog light Mod.

OriginalJerseyBoy
NewTiburon.com God

OriginalJerseyBoy will become famous soon enough

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-17-2008 , 04:41 PM

yeah i just replaced my radiator tuesday. very easy to do and only took two hours. however i paid 150 from napa.

My sedan is faster than your Tib...

915_TUSCANI
NewTiburon.com Novice

915_TUSCANI is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-17-2008 , 04:46 PM

wow thats alot of mula you should jave tried some junk yards cause somtimes they but aftermarket and oem parts like headlights radiators and more like i said i only got mine for $40

915_TUSCANI
CAI, 2.50 Exh. W/ Megan tip, DZ Lowering Springs, B&M STS, Painted Diffuser, Multi Gauges, Blue LED City Lights, S2K antenna, Test Pipe, Clear Corners, Fog light Mod.

GaTo
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-18-2008 , 02:58 AM

thanks for the info guys... i can't afford a new radiator right now so looks like i'll be using good old JB Weld on the crack and hope for the best

De Pinga - adj/. literal meaning 'of co ck; to be used in situations of frustration, annoyance, and boredom

OriginalJerseyBoy
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-18-2008 , 08:23 AM

good luck but i tried JB weld and it didn't work at all. it didn't even stick to the radiator.

GaTo
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-18-2008 , 10:13 AM

what was the problem with yours?

OriginalJerseyBoy
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-18-2008 , 10:18 AM

i had a stress crack on the top plastic portion.

GaTo
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-18-2008 , 10:36 AM

that's exactly what i have

did u clean the area before placing the weld? also thinking about melting the plastic to seal the crack

Fullblowntib
NewTiburon.com God

Fullblowntib is a glorious beacon of lightFullblowntib is a glorious beacon of lightFullblowntib is a glorious beacon of lightFullblowntib is a glorious beacon of lightFullblowntib is a glorious beacon of lightFullblowntib is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-18-2008 , 12:12 PM

JBweld will not work....it doesnt expand with the tank, and it will go right back to leaking that day. and the stop leak stuff will not work either as it will just plug up the cores and you'll be worse offyou could actually take the radiator out and go to the radiator shop and they can put a new tank on it. But for that money I would just go to the salvage yard and get one used till you can get a new one

[/SIGPIC]NGM Stg4 fully built race blk w/fully P&P & flowed heads,Stg2 cams,Fidanza adjstbl sprckts & adjstble cam gears,1mm over Stainless steel valves,NGM Assassin S/C w/icebox & ht exchngr,NGM alky kit,7.5 in lower pully & 2.9 upper,ported lower intake,90mm throttlebody,Map ecu2,460cc injctrs,Zex 190Lph fuel pmp,Zex 150 shot,APE traction bars,Fidanza alum flywl, w/stg4 CM 6puc clutch,Phantom grip LSD,Espilar susp kit,custom SRI,Prosport boostgauge & Innovate w/b

iwb
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-18-2008 , 08:58 PM

REPLACE!!!

Stuff like Barsleak or any other stop leak product will do nothing to repair the problem. I tried to use that stuff on my old Mazda and learned the hard way.

Spend the money, your cooling system is one of the most important components for your cars engine. If you don't, your next post might be in search for a new cylinder head to replace your warped one PLUS a radiator!!! (Which was the exact reason why I had to get rid of my MX-6...)

. I . W a n t . B o o s t .

Former Stage 2 Sniped Tib - Forever a GK enthusiast

Last edited by iwb; 07-18-2008 at 08:59 PM.

The Power of Dreams
NewTiburon.com Post Master

The Power of Dreams will become famous soon enough

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-22-2008 , 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaTo View Post
thanks for the info guys... i can't afford a new radiator right now so looks like i'll be using good old JB Weld on the crack and hope for the best
Not very smart. I'd try to find the cash or a cheaper radiator, but whatever you have to do, I'd replace it.

Better to replace a radiator than a warped cylinder head because you overheated.

HONDA: The Power of Dreams
2008 Honda Civic Si Taffeta White Sedan

iwb
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of lightiwb is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 07-22-2008 , 01:02 PM

You can get a good deal here

Brand New For $120 including shipping.

Much cheaper than a $175.00+ used head and $100.00 + gasket kit

. I . W a n t . B o o s t .

Former Stage 2 Sniped Tib - Forever a GK enthusiast

idrivetuscani
NewTiburon.com God

idrivetuscani is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 08-04-2008 , 10:04 AM

I just found out I have the same problem...there's a 4 inch crack on top of my radiator and my coolant would be splashed all over my engine bay and when it's sitting you can see coolant sipping out from the crack....I stuffed a shop paper towel in that gap for now to stop it fro splashing but I guess I'd need to replace the radiator.
Do you have to remove the front bumper to make room for removing the radiator? and where do you dispose the old radiator (since it's will have some coolant in it even if drained)....thanks

- 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec Karussel White

- 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Wicked White

- 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 Obsidian Black

Aqua Cow
NewTiburon.com Novice

Aqua Cow

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 08-04-2008 , 11:13 AM

03tibsc
NewTiburon.com God

03tibsc

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 08-04-2008 , 12:48 PM

A shop might be able to braze it....basically weld the area, its kinda like soldering.

GaTo
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 08-16-2008 , 02:35 PM

just ended up buying a new one thanks guys

TaRawr
NewTiburon.com Novice

Sex: Female
TaRawr

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 09-16-2008 , 01:54 PM

GaTo THATS EXACTLY what i was going to post. The exact same thing happened today, i looked and when i was accelerating my temp went up as fast as i was accelerating.. ifilled it all the way back up so i cant drive on it for a little while till i can get a new one..

dangg sucksss

TaRawr
NewTiburon.com Novice

Sex: Female
TaRawr

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 09-16-2008 , 01:58 PM

is there a DIY on replacing a radiator?

Pay8ack
NewTiburon.com Novice

Pay8ack is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: How to fix radiator leak? Crack on top of radiator. 08-30-2009 , 02:53 AM

Im going through the exact same right now. My radiator cracked in the same place too. Every time my car is warmed up, the pressure from the heat forces all of my radiator fluid out. Im going to buy a new high performance unit. I think you should do the same!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.