Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

Go Back   New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums > Information > Hyundai Tech
NewTiburon.com is the premier Hyundai Tiburon Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

geekguy
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Sex: Male
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
geekguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 03:45 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have this problem with my car, whenever I go to the gas station and pump fuel into my car, my car has got the hardest time starting. When I am done pumping gas I go to turn the car on and it turns off on me. The way I get it started is as I go to turn on the car I have to press down on the gas pedal while in park for about 10 seconds and quickly change into drive to get my car moving.

This problem does not occur again after it has been turned off. My car starts up normally after turning it on and off randomly. I only have the problem where it wont start after pumping fuel.

Another problem with the car is that my RPM's keep on shifting every ones in a while, it constantly moves from 2000 to 1000 to 1500 to 500 RPM while it is in stall over a period of less than 30 seconds.

I have had my car looked at and got my fuel injectors changed and my oxygen sensor cleaned up due to a build up of carbon. Now I am not sure what to do with it. I may believe that it could be a fuel sensor or something.

If anyone out there has got any idea of how to fix this I would be greatly appreciated, I have dealt with this for the past six months and may believe the problem could get worse.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

hotWheelz
Rool : Pron Spammer

hotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another level

Old Re: Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 03:55 AM

If you're topping off the tank, don't.

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, R00l made God. Then, God made Earth."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BurnsvilleTib08
Banned

BurnsvilleTib08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 03:58 AM

Could be a few things, are you clicking the gas cap a few times to seal and pressurize the tank?

Newo
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Newo is just really niceNewo is just really niceNewo is just really nice

Old Re: Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotWheelz View Post
If you're topping off the tank, don't.
what does that mean?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

geekguy
NewTiburon.com Newbie

geekguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsvilleTib08 View Post
Could be a few things, are you clicking the gas cap a few times to seal and pressurize the tank?
yes i am turning the gas cap three times which is the recommended amount of turns. If i were not my engine light would go on. My engine light only goes on when my car turns off and so does my brake light, but after turning it on, both lights turn off and runs normally, except for the RPM situation

hotWheelz

hotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another level

Old Re: Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewoIkkin View Post
what does that mean?
Like when you fill up your tank and the nozzle clicks off, some people continue to try pumping gas after that. That's topping off the tank.

Anyway, the reason why it's not good for our cars (or most cars, in general) is that the extra gas may get into the vapor recovery system and clog it up. I think this has happened to other people and it has caused their cars not to start.

hotWheelz

Old Re: Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 04:54 AM

Have your idle actuator looked at. Maybe it's toast.

InkTheFlesh
NewTiburon.com God

InkTheFlesh will become famous soon enough

Old Re: Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 04:20 PM

Sound like a purge valve problem, or a problem with the vent valve on the charcoal canister.

'09 Silverado Crew Cab

tibby007
NewTiburon.com God

tibby007

Old Re: Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 04:57 PM

wtf? I've been topping off my tank since day one and never had this problem before....and forgive the noob question, but what and where is the charcoal canister and purge valve? Is that only on the manual tranny Tibs?

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT, Auto. Apexcone 55W 6000K HIDs, F/L Headlights, LED Taillights (Stop, Turn & Backup), 30% Tinted Windows, Injen SRI, Borla Catback Exhaust, White LED Gauges, Ark Racing Shorty Antenna, Midnight Wolf Custom Tuscani Single DIN Head Unit Plate, Midnight Wolf Tuscani Mission Plate.

InkTheFlesh
NewTiburon.com God

InkTheFlesh will become famous soon enough

Old Re: Problems getting a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Automatic to start after pumping fuel? 02-15-2009 , 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby007 View Post
wtf? I've been topping off my tank since day one and never had this problem before....and forgive the noob question, but what and where is the charcoal canister and purge valve? Is that only on the manual tranny Tibs?
Charcoal canister filters the fuel vapors that evaporate in the gas tank, every car in the US has one. On the Tib, it's in the rear under the car, and usually the purge valve is somewhere up in the engine bay hooked up to a vacuum source.

'09 Silverado Crew Cab

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.