DIY: Fuel Filters - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

Go Back   New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums > Information > Do It Yourself > DIY Engine
NewTiburon.com is the premier Hyundai Tiburon Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

Sex: Male
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
peachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nice

Old Fuel Filters 01-23-2010 , 12:18 PM

So after all the questions about where our fuel filters are, how many there are etc etc I decided to make this DIY while replacing mine. My car is an 05 V6, so there may be slight differences, especially with 2003-2004 Tibs with the returnless fuel system (I believe the main filter is different). In my owner's manual it says to replace the fuel filter every 37,500 miles (strange interval I know). I checked hmaservice for an 08 and it says the same thing. For an 04 it says every 52,500. Follow your specific manual.

So let's get started. Tools: 12mm socket with extension; 8mm socket with extension (phillips screwdriver might work); pliers; flathead screwdriver; bucket (recommended)

Parts: 2 filters--31911-2D000 for the main one (2C000 for 2003 Tibs) and 31090-2D050 for the suction filter. Check with your dealer if you have a 4-cyl. I think the parts are still the same for the 4-cyl, but I haven't confirmed that. The main filter I got for about $31 and the sock one $9 (this was at list price though, dealers may vary).

First, you need to remove the rear seat cushion. There are 2 bolts holding the back end in, one in the middle of either seating position as shown here:

Once you have those out, there are 2 tabs holding the front of the cushion, just push in on them to release the clips:

Pull the seat cushion out (watch for the foam catching on the seatbelts) and you'll see the black cover we need to remove next (there was also a felt piece around my seatbelt catches, just pull that out). Just pry up one edge of the cover and pull it off (held on with black adhesive):

Now you'll see the top of the fuel pump assembly:

First disconnect the electrical connector. Once you've done so you'll want to start the car and let it idle until it stalls (took a few minutes in my case--note that your fuel gauge will show empty as the electrical signal is gone, don't worry about it). This will take some of the pressure out of the fuel lines. You can also disconnect the negative battery terminal for more security if you want. Put a towel or paper towels aroung the hoses, then disconnect the 2 hoses marked #2 in the pic. The top one has a clamp, use your pliers. it also has a 2nd clamp where the arrow points, I ended up removing both and taking the hose completely off to give more clearance. The bottom one has 2 buttons you push in while pulling the hose off--be ready for a fair amount of fuel to spray out of this one.

Once you have the hoses off, remove all the screws around the edge of the assembly (9 in all). A phillips might work, but I used an 8mm socket to get a better grip on them. Once you have them out, grab the assembly and slowly lift it out of the tank. I had to tilt mine towards the driver's side to get the top part out, but go slowly since before it's all the way out you need to tip it towards the rear of the car to give clearance to the fuel level gauge.

I'd recommend covering the gas tank opening so no debris gets in there--I just used a large towel folded a couple of times. Once the assembly out of the car I highly recommend putting it down in a bucket. Take a close look at how everything lines up too. If you want you can push the little red button on the bottom and drain the fuel out. Mine had a good pint or so of fuel in it. Next, there are 3 large tabs holding the "lid" part on. Start pulling it upwards and push the tabs in to release it. In my case I also found it much easier to also pop the cap off of the fuel filter to let the hose come out better (see arrow below).

The circles show the electrical connectors. The black/yellow one goes from the lid to the fuel pump, I disconnected this one at the fuel pump. The brown/black one goes down to the fuel level gauge, I disconnected this one at the lid end. Once you have both off, set the lid part aside.

Now you need to remove the hose from the fuel filter, to do so there is a metal bracket you need to pry off--it's held on by plastic tabs shown here (bottom arrow). Then pull the hose out of the fuel filter (top arrow).

Now to pull the fuel filter out there are 2 clips holding it in. Work it out and compare it to the new filter to make sure they match. At this point you'll want to transfer all the parts from the old one that aren't supplied with the new one. Some of mine came off when removing the lid assembly (the cap I removed to make it easier for example). On the top of the filter there are 4 pieces plus a cap--white washer, black gasket, white washer, black gasket (in that order). Put all these on the new filter and the cap as well. Then, up under the filter there is another gasket (in my case it stayed in the fuel filter as shown here:

That bottom one can be tricky to get out, I ended up using an l-shaped hex key to get at it from the top edge. Make sure you move all these pieces to the new filter or your car won't start. Once you have everything moved over it's time to get the second filter done.

To get to this one, you need to take the fuel pump and housing out of the assembly. There are 3 small tabs below the larger tabs we took the lid off with:

You may have to pry from the inside edge to get them loose. Once you get that assembly out you'll see the sock filter at the very bottom. I was able to get a flathead in the space between the fuel pump and the plastic connector of the sock filter and pry it off:

Once it's off, again compare it to the new one and make sure they match. My new one had a blue plastic cap, just throw that away:

You can see how dirty this is (my car had 37,400 miles when I did this). I can't imagine how those of you who wait 100k miles will be. Push the new filter onto the bottom of the fuel pump like the old one was. Not easy at all in my case, but I got it pretty well after plenty of pushing.

Now you're at the end of the disassembly, so just start reversing everything. Put the fuel pump housing back in, then the new fuel filter, connect the hose and bracket, reconnect the electrical connectors and put the lid part back on (note that there are 2 springs that go on it). Put the assembly back into the gas tank, replace the 9 screws and both hoses, and connect the electrical connector (and put the cover back on where it goes). At this point I recommend starting the engine to make sure the pump is working correctly (and the correct fuel level is shown). You may have to cycle the key from off to on a couple of times before cranking the engine. If it doesn't start after 2 or 3 tries you probably missed something. If everything works properly, put the seat cushion back on and you're good to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 SE V6 6sp Injen SRI; SSA Cat-back; Basstib STS; Mussa Front Strut Bar; Eibach Rear Sway Bar; VIS Cyber CF Hood SOLD
2006 Pontiac GTO LS2 6-speed Stock for now...

Last edited by peachferrari; 10-21-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

peachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nicepeachferrari is just really nice

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 01-23-2010 , 12:21 PM

And if you're curious like I was, this is what the inside of the main filter looks like:

And here are a couple of shots of the filter media removed and spread out. Pics were taken on ordinary dirty concrete, so you can see how dark the filter got:

The white specks are just from cutting the filter in half (plastic shavings)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 SE V6 6sp Injen SRI; SSA Cat-back; Basstib STS; Mussa Front Strut Bar; Eibach Rear Sway Bar; VIS Cyber CF Hood SOLD

Last edited by peachferrari; 10-21-2011 at 09:09 PM.

SteelTown
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SteelTown is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 01-23-2010 , 12:33 PM

good DIY. Thanks man.

GeneralDuke
Luke: NT's Skywalker

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
GeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another levelGeneralDuke is on another level

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 01-25-2010 , 01:55 AM

I went ahead and approved and moved this DIY, if you would like to me to move it back to submission to modify it, please feel free to notify me via PM and I'll take care of it.

- Rota/Ark/UltraRacing/Moog/NGM/G-Games/Injen/KJBMotorsports/Mishimoto/Ingalls/Zefiro/Fujita/GT Tech/Tomato A&P/FFF/Midnight Wolf/ZMR/RRM/Fatmat/NRG/MOMO/RAYS/WORK/Greddy/Pioneer/Infinity/Streetwires/Falken/Aerocatch/EXLED/Glowshift/ATI/Optima/EXOS/SFR/Kickxtc/EvasiveMotorsports/Diode Dynamics/Wilwood

2011 4.6L Titanium Hyundai Genesis

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 01-25-2010 , 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalduke View Post
I went ahead and approved and moved this DIY, if you would like to me to move it back to submission to modify it, please feel free to notify me via PM and I'll take care of it.
Cool, thanks man.

rblcori7
NewTiburon.com God

rblcori7

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-13-2010 , 01:04 AM

hey so im going to be doing this very soon..... you wanna come down and help

Amongthechosenx
NewTiburon.com Expert

Amongthechosenx is infamous around these parts

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-13-2010 , 02:10 AM

did you see any enhancements to the engine after doing this?

Smoother idle? Better take off? Better MPG?

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-13-2010 , 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amongthechosenx View Post
did you see any enhancements to the engine after doing this?

Smoother idle? Better take off? Better MPG?
Not really, but I wasn't having any problems before doing it either. It's routine maintenance (like changing your oil etc) so you'll probably not notice a huge difference. You'll be preventing problems that could be caused by not doing it though.

ptycoupe
NewTiburon.com God

ptycoupe will become famous soon enough

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-13-2010 , 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachferrari View Post
Not really, but I wasn't having any problems before doing it either. It's routine maintenance (like changing your oil etc) so you'll probably not notice a huge difference. You'll be preventing problems that could be caused by not doing it though.
You will experience a TERRIBLE MPG... the response will be kinda crappy... and a dirty filter will cause you injectos to die eventually...

so it is a preventive maintenance... but one filter prevents A LOT of stuff..

Cheers!

ptycoupe
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-14-2010 , 04:21 PM

Ok, my fuel pump assembly is a bit different.... here's a pic.... any suggestions on how to proceed with this one?!?!?!?!?! ?

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-14-2010 , 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptycoupe View Post
Ok, my fuel pump assembly is a bit different.... here's a pic.... any suggestions on how to proceed with this one?!?!?!?!?! ?
Hmm, not sure on that one. There's got to be some way to get that out of the tank, but it doesn't look like yours is held in with screws or bolts. There must be some way to get that black housing off of there, maybe it's held on with clips or something?

Good luck, hope you can figure it out.

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-14-2010 , 08:52 PM

I realized that I didn't really post a good pic of just the main fuel filter. Here's one showing new and old filters with the cap and washers that need to be moved to the new one as mentioned in my steps above. (pic was from Elantraxd.com forums). If you're doing fuel filters, make sure your replacement looks similar to these:

ptycoupe
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-19-2010 , 09:00 AM

ok, question... I got a totally different looking suction filter... here are some pics.

any idea is this thing would work... I have not taken the pump apart because I don't wanna put it back together with the same old suction filter...

When I called the dealer to ask for the suction filter this is what they said they had... and basically it was "the same" ...

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-19-2010 , 09:16 PM

Yeah I don't think that one ^^^ is going to work. As you can see in my pics the suction filter is basically the same round shape as the fuel pump assembly. It has a big hole that fits on the bottom of the fuel pump, and the small hole has a washer inside that grips a metal post on the bottom of the fuel pump. I can't tell from your pics if yours has the same setup. If it does you might be able to attach it, but you'd have to bend it up the side of the fuel pump or something to get it back in.

ptycoupe
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-19-2010 , 09:24 PM

ok... seems that this filter is out of stock in the whole freaking country... would it be really bad if I just change the "filter assembly -fuel intake" filter and leave this one on while it is back in stock?

My A/F mix is VERY rich... I can smell the fuel on the exhaust... and I think this could be one of the main reasons...

I checked the O2 sensors with the OBDII and they seemed to be fine.

Cheers!

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-20-2010 , 10:48 AM

Well you can't do any damage just changing the main filter and not the suction one--obviously it's easier to do both at the same time while you're in there but you won't hurt anything.

I would think though that if you have a clogged or dirty fuel filter it would cause you to get less fuel than you need in the engine, and therefore run lean, not rich. And if you don't have a check engine light on then your mixture is within the proper range anyway.

shaggyinaredpete
NewTiburon.com Expert

shaggyinaredpete can only hope to improve

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 03-20-2010 , 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptycoupe View Post
ok... seems that this filter is out of stock in the whole freaking country... would it be really bad if I just change the "filter assembly -fuel intake" filter and leave this one on while it is back in stock?

My A/F mix is VERY rich... I can smell the fuel on the exhaust... and I think this could be one of the main reasons...

I checked the O2 sensors with the OBDII and they seemed to be fine.

Cheers!
The sock filter is just a screen. Not really much of a filter. It does keep the larger junk from going in to the real filter, the one that catches all the little things. So yes you will be fine by not replacing the sock. and if you want you could always just shake off the sock to get those larger particles off. If you see lots a junk on that sock its likely you have more in your tank.
Good Luck.

550HP, 1800Ft Lbs torque, 18 speed

firstascent
NewTiburon.com Novice

firstascent

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 05-27-2010 , 01:08 PM

Thanks for the DIY, im in the middle of this now but the dealer gave me the wrong filter, they gave me one like yours but mine is a little different, I don't have the the green thing you have in this picture below that you posted.

Also I want to add, my filter sock is a little different and according to the dealer mine doesn't use one, but I have my filter out right now so I know it does so it's been a pain trying to track down the correct part. So just FYI for anyone else that might run into the same issues.

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 05-27-2010 , 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstascent View Post
Thanks for the DIY, im in the middle of this now but the dealer gave me the wrong filter, they gave me one like yours but mine is a little different, I don't have the the green thing you have in this picture below that you posted.

Also I want to add, my filter sock is a little different and according to the dealer mine doesn't use one, but I have my filter out right now so I know it does so it's been a pain trying to track down the correct part. So just FYI for anyone else that might run into the same issues.
What year is your Tib? I mentioned that the 03-04 is probably different because it had a returnless fuel system and in 2005 they switched to a return-type system. That's probably the difference, and if so the filter would be different as well.

firstascent
NewTiburon.com Novice

firstascent

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 05-27-2010 , 05:18 PM

yup, thats it, Mine is an 03. I ordered what I think is the correct filter but so far they have got me the wrong part 2 times even though they had my VIN

peachferrari
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 05-28-2010 , 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstascent View Post
yup, thats it, Mine is an 03. I ordered what I think is the correct filter but so far they have got me the wrong part 2 times even though they had my VIN
Yeah, if you look at my post a few up ^^ showing the old and new filters yours probably only has one open "port" on top instead of two. I'm not sure what the part # is though. If you can get the right one post up the part # and I'll update the DIY.

Hurdler5280
NewTiburon.com God

Hurdler5280

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 06-05-2010 , 04:47 PM

Try part number 31911 2C000 for an 04 or 03.

Going back to stock
Someone buy my Stage IV, Ark Exhaust, mafterburner, new SFR headers with Jet hot coat and more!!.

miky22
NewTiburon.com Newbie

miky22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 06-08-2010 , 11:26 AM

How to open this??

firstascent
NewTiburon.com Novice

firstascent

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 06-08-2010 , 11:37 AM

what are you trying to open? The pics above are pretty good pics to start.

Hurdler5280 - thanks, yes I believe that is the part # I used for mine.

Swimmerboy2112
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Swimmerboy2112 has a spectacular aura aboutSwimmerboy2112 has a spectacular aura about

Old Re: DIY: Fuel Filters 06-08-2010 , 11:52 AM

Good write-up i was planning on changing my fuel filter soon.

Quote:
if you came to my door and said, "I'm gonna have rape for dinner," I'd probably not be able to say no...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.