Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

Go Back   New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums > GK Performance (03+) > V6 - Naturally Aspirated
NewTiburon.com is the premier Hyundai Tiburon Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Anthonyc77
NewTiburon.com Professional

Sex: Male
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anthonyc77 will become famous soon enough

Old Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 07:59 PM

So yah my head gasket is leaking oil onto my headers, and it needs to be changed, but im wondering, i this something I can do myself (how difficult is it?) or should I just pay a mechanic to do it even though they charge ALOT of money.

11 Forte Koup EX
Visual Mods: "K" badges, tint
Performance Mods: None yet
Wishlist: Intake, rims,exhaust
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

markstibbyspot
NewTiburon.com Post Master

markstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of lightmarkstibbyspot is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:08 PM

are you sure its the head gasket

Work in progress

Anthonyc77

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:21 PM

Well after pushing it a little hard, i poped the hood and saw the oil drip down off the head between the cracks onto the exhaust manifold, so im prettty sure its the gasket.

11 Forte Koup EX

dlanes
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:25 PM

I bet you mean valve cover gasket...If it was your head gasket and you would have more problems than oil on your headers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.

Anthonyc77

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanes View Post
I bet you mean valve cover gasket...If it was your head gasket and you would have more problems than oil on your headers.
Yah i think that is what i mean, because other then that the car seems to run fine, its just leaking oil out. But about the difficulty on changing this, is it easy or difficult or what? Is it as easy as just taking the head apart and changing the gasket or what?

11 Forte Koup EX

Will51
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Will51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another level

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:33 PM

Could be pushing oil externally and be a head gasket but more than likely it would be pushing coolant as well. I would put my money on piston rings/ valve seals letting oil into your combustion chamber, look for smokey exhaust, and pull your spark plugs and look for oil on them. Also have a shop use a "sniffer" on your coolant reservoir to look for combustion gases and pull your dipstick and look for milky/chunky substances. If you have combustion gases in the coolant or stuff on your dipstick or overheating or unexplained loss of coolant its your head gasket. If neither of these are present I would lean toward piston rings or valve seals.

For quickest response regarding ZMR Mods please email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Will51
Retired Staff

Will51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another level

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyc77 View Post
Yah i think that is what i mean, because other then that the car seems to run fine, its just leaking oil out. But about the difficulty on changing this, is it easy or difficult or what? Is it as easy as just taking the head apart and changing the gasket or what?
Post pics and we can tell if its a valve cover gasket.

iplayapearl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iplayapearl

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:44 PM

head gaskets suck...got to taking everything in the head apart, clean everything perfectly, you have to take it to a machine shop to get shaved (at least thats the right way to do it)...its a handful if you dont know how to do it or never done something like that before...but if you do it do the timing belt and water pump and thank me later

Garrett–ARK–AutoMeter–HKS–ExtremePSI–AEM-Fidanza-ACT–TriNET Motorsports– Koni–OBX-R–DropZone
Black Cat Customs–DS Motorsports–OTTO-R–KENWOOD–JL AUDIO–Xentec–Kemmerer Graphics–KONIG-Nankang

UnHolyTib
NT's Death Knight

UnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond reputeUnHolyTib has a reputation beyond repute

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will51 View Post
Could be pushing oil externally and be a head gasket but more than likely it would be pushing coolant as well. I would put my money on piston rings/ valve seals letting oil into your combustion chamber, look for smokey exhaust, and pull your spark plugs and look for oil on them. Also have a shop use a "sniffer" on your coolant reservoir to look for combustion gases and pull your dipstick and look for milky/chunky substances. If you have combustion gases in the coolant or stuff on your dipstick or overheating or unexplained loss of coolant its your head gasket. If neither of these are present I would lean toward piston rings or valve seals.
Come on bro... grim reaper much?... it's the kids valve cover gasket...

OP, the valve cover gasket normally doesn't need to be replaced, they are made of rubber, remove the valve cover, remove all the sealant the factory used, clean everything up, coat everything with hi temp RTV and put it back together.. no more leak

You Are Only As Good As Your Last Idea! /

nwsfoto
NewTiburon.com God

nwsfoto will become famous soon enough

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholytib View Post
come on bro... Grim reaper much?... It's the kids valve cover gasket...

Op, the valve cover gasket normally doesn't need to be replaced, they are made of rubber, remove the valve cover, remove all the sealant the factory used, clean everything up, coat everything with hi temp rtv and put it back together.. No more leak
+1.

NT's TV Guy (ABC)

Will51
Retired Staff

Old Re: Head Gasket (can i change it myself?) 03-30-2010 , 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnHolyTib View Post
Come on bro... grim reaper much?... it's the kids valve cover gasket...

OP, the valve cover gasket normally doesn't need to be replaced, they are made of rubber, remove the valve cover, remove all the sealant the factory used, clean everything up, coat everything with hi temp RTV and put it back together.. no more leak
LOL No, just the things he could do to diagnose before tearing into it. It sounded to me like he was saying it was pushing oil out of the manifolds, in my experience the rings are usually what causes this it wasnt until after I posted and then saw his second post about them dripping onto them from above . Thats why I asked him to post pics to see if he was talking about the valve cover gasket after I read his second post..

Last edited by Will51; 03-30-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.