jacking the car up - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

Go Back   New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums > General Forums > Tiburon General Discussion
NewTiburon.com is the premier Hyundai Tiburon Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

palmpalm
NewTiburon.com Novice

Sex: Male
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
palmpalm is an unknown quantity at this point

Old jacking the car up 06-24-2010 , 01:21 AM

So I bought a nice little trolley jack from Wal-Mart along with some axle stands (this is the jack
Amazon Amazon
). Long story short, I position the jack where the manual shows to position a jack. and I start lifting the car and to my absolute horror the metal lip of the car bends. I lower the car and inspect the damage, sure enough, the jack totally screwed-up that spot on the car. Looking around the car, I couldn't find a decent place to use the jack. Am I just missing something here, or is it simply not possible to use a jack on this car (03 GT) without causing some damage?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ColtCannonFan
NewTiburon.com Rookie

ColtCannonFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-24-2010 , 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCannonFan View Post
right behind each wheel there should be like rusty orange metal plate type thing it should be pretty noticeable but it is kind of far under for a usual jack spot

mockg
NewTiburon.com God

mockg is just really nicemockg is just really nicemockg is just really nicemockg is just really nice

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-24-2010 , 01:26 AM

theres a spot with a little loop/hook looking thing coming off of it. That is the spot I have used every time when doing oil changes and its never hurt the car.

Proof searching does work.

Quote:
soory guys, ill admit i didn't search, but when i did i found a lot of stuff
so thanks
Find out more here >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The_Mo
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to behold

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-24-2010 , 01:27 AM

lol colt cannon fan... why is your post in quotes? lol

coming soon:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparks Fails
NewTiburon.com Professional

Sparks Fails is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-24-2010 , 01:32 AM

This is why you consult your manual for the correct position. The correct position, for ANY jack with the Tiburon is basically on the side skirt, close to the tire you'll see past the sideskirt(heading towards middle of the car) there is a little gap where there is no, well, side-skirt.

That is where the jack is supposed to be. It doesn't seem like a stable position, but its the only one that I've used that has worked 100% of the time. I tried it on the bar that runs through the middle of the car from front to back, and the jack gave out and caused a huge dent under the side-skirt.. I learned my lesson, and you obviously have to.

Takahashi240
Hater With No Friends

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-24-2010 , 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks Fails View Post
This is why you consult your manual for the correct position. The correct position, for ANY jack with the Tiburon is basically on the side skirt, close to the tire you'll see past the sideskirt(heading towards middle of the car) there is a little gap where there is no, well, side-skirt.

That is where the jack is supposed to be. It doesn't seem like a stable position, but its the only one that I've used that has worked 100% of the time. I tried it on the bar that runs through the middle of the car from front to back, and the jack gave out and caused a huge dent under the side-skirt.. I learned my lesson, and you obviously have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmpalm View Post
I position the jack where the manual shows to position a jack...

Mr Köppen is so like the fat woman full of vitality. ! !

FuelMJ
NewTiburon.com God

FuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to behold

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-24-2010 , 01:44 AM

hahahaha, fail

palmpalm
NewTiburon.com Novice

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 08:27 PM

Hmm.. I don't have anything like that.

kumdo0770
NewTiburon.com God

kumdo0770 will become famous soon enoughkumdo0770 will become famous soon enough

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 09:08 PM

go to the shop, have them work on the car for you and see where they put the things on (as long as the lift isnt a ramp type). My drivers side side skirt is screwed up =_= oh well lol

Alright Meow, Lisuns and Registration

'07 Tibby

Sparks Fails

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 09:22 PM

Did you read his post? He SAID he used the manual, but obviously didn't.

Takahashi240
Hater With No Friends

Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 09:29 PM

Quote:
Did you read his post? He SAID he used the manual, but obviously didn't.
Yeah... I didn't read his post... that's why I lectured him on using the manual when he said he did. You simply look like you are covering up the fact that you didn't pay attention. That pinch rail has good spots and bad spots. The manual says to use the pinch rail, he put it where the manual said. It isn't a hard concept.

It is possible to read things and not understand exactly what they mean. This could be how you wound up in this predicament.

03tibsc
NewTiburon.com God

03tibsc

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 09:44 PM

Unless I am missing something....The guy bought a non factory jack and jackstands. He tried to use the new jack in the factory location. Seeing as how the factory jack has a groove that goes around the seam @ the rocker panel and the new jack does not the factory location is useless and will result in the bending of that area. I always use the tow hook in the front to get both front wheels off the ground and then place the jackstands on the cross bar of the subframe.

Sparks Fails

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 09:44 PM

Without pictures, how exactly is anyone to know where he put it? But, I've used the same spot more than 4x now, and had NO problems. So when he tells me that the "metal lip" bent, "to his horror", its hard to discern wether we're talking about the same spot. You'd be suprised how confused some people can get from a simple picture.

Takahashi240
Hater With No Friends

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 09:48 PM

Without pictures, how can we be sure that you have done it right every time? Now you are aware at how bad that argument is. That is the argument people use when they are backed into a corner.

Sparks Fails

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 10:12 PM

LOL. You start arguments with me specifically, its pretty entertaining. Don't you have Bleach episodes to be catching up on? Get over yourself.

The_Mo
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mo is a splendid one to behold

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 10:16 PM

just buy a shop lift and end this tom foolery..

coming soon:

breeechan
Dedication to Thai Cuisine

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
breeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud of

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-25-2010 , 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mo View Post
just buy a shop lift and end this tom foolery..
fooling tom with a lifted shop

Lightest DD tib? 2593 lbs and falling

Quote:
I wish I had 5 Guys inside of me right now...
Quote:
That is pretty much how I felt the first time I had Five Guys...

Takahashi240
Hater With No Friends

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-26-2010 , 04:48 AM

Quote:
LOL. You start arguments with me specifically, its pretty entertaining. Don't you have Bleach episodes to be catching up on? Get over yourself.
No, I don't start arguments with you specifically. If you think that I do only pick on you, sounds to me like someone else is the one whom truly must get over himself. I point out mistakes of everyone on here and the fact that you told someone to do what they did and said they did in their post is a pretty worthless mistake, if you ask me. If you don't believe me that I talk like this to everyone, click just that username to the left, there... on the drop down, click "Find More Posts by..." and take a read for yourself. You have clearly displayed how well you read in this thread.

Other note: I haven't heard of or seen Bleach, but I checked it out. So far it has a good ratings and the synopsis isn't so bad. Maybe I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the recommendation on your two-handed comment, in what seems to be a feeble attempt to insult me.

Chammy
NewTiburon.com Novice

Chammy has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-26-2010 , 05:16 AM

sounds like he jacked the rad support

Takahashi240
Hater With No Friends

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-26-2010 , 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chammy View Post
sounds like he jacked the rad support
No it doesn't. It just sounds like he wasn't in the correct location on the pinch rail.

hotWheelz
Rool : Pron Spammer

hotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another levelhotWheelz is on another level

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-26-2010 , 06:58 AM

Basically, he used a floor jack without a pinch rail adapter and crunched the pinch rail.

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, R00l made God. Then, God made Earth."

palmpalm
NewTiburon.com Novice

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-26-2010 , 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tibsc View Post
Unless I am missing something....The guy bought a non factory jack and jackstands. He tried to use the new jack in the factory location. Seeing as how the factory jack has a groove that goes around the seam @ the rocker panel and the new jack does not the factory location is useless and will result in the bending of that area. I always use the tow hook in the front to get both front wheels off the ground and then place the jackstands on the cross bar of the subframe.

Yup. I'm gonna ignore people who think I am incapable of using the manual.

FuelMJ
NewTiburon.com God

FuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to beholdFuelMJ is a splendid one to behold

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-26-2010 , 08:31 PM

Quote:
lol just stop

JPGreco
NewTiburon.com God

JPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to allJPGreco is a name known to all

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-26-2010 , 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotWheelz View Post
Basically, he used a floor jack without a pinch rail adapter and crunched the pinch rail.
It really took 21 posts for someone to have the right answer? Really people? Well, I guess some of those was trying to point out stupidity to the stupid, which just seems like a waste of time to me.

Hotwheelz hit the nail on the head. You bent the pinch rail. A standard floor jack should be positioned under a frame rail or other solid bar. Generally, anything a tow hook is welded to is a solid point to put a jack under.

I don't put my jack right on the tow hook, but jack up the front of the car by that cross member and then place the jack stands under it as well at either side.

However, OP, sadly, you are incapable of using a manual because you failed to realize that the stock location for jacking up the car is for use with the stock jack only (or other jack with a pinch rail adapter). I will say that I contemplated placing my floor jack there, but thought better of it because the idea of trying to flat lift that spot seemed like a bad idea to me. About 6 inches beyond that point is another rail that a floor jack can lift the entire side of the car from.

I givz u post count bak. hW
thank u. It was hell being a newb again....

Will51
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Will51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another levelWill51 is on another level

Old Re: jacking the car up 06-26-2010 , 08:37 PM

I use a bigger floor jack than that, the contact surface is much bigger, I hate using those little ones. Anyway like JPgreco said use the inner frame rail looking thing to jack up on. Although I now have to use my hyundai screw type jack to lift my car enough to fit a regular jack underneath it lol.

For quickest response regarding ZMR Mods please email me at

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.