So my Tib won't start... - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

Go Back   New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums > General Forums > Tiburon General Discussion
NewTiburon.com is the premier Hyundai Tiburon Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

squirtbrnr
NewTiburon.com Novice

Sex: Male
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
squirtbrnr

Old So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 10:10 AM

Woke up this morning, headed to work.
Get in my car using Key fob to unlock doors.
Put key in and some dash lights come on.
Turn key to start car... nothing, not even a click.
Go to get roommate to jump my car.
Jumper wires connected, nothing new, still won't start.
Noticed the hood was popped open, but still latched
Also noticed the clock was reset to 1:00am.

When I turn the key it just clicks like it's trying to engage the started solenoid.
When I put the key in and turn, my dash lights fade in and out and blink with the clicking.
When I hit my key fob to lock or unlock it blinks my hazards really fast.
When I hit my horn it sounds like a sick duck.

This isn't a battery dead issue, otherwise the jump wouldve started it. Any ideas?

2013 Nissan Juke SL - Gun Metallic - I4 1.6L Turbo - CVT AWD - Injen CAI - Mine
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT - Black - V6 2.7L NA - A/T - K&N CAI - LED Angel Eyes - Mine - *SOLD*
2010 Mini Cooper Convertible - Silver - I4 1.6L NA - A/T - Stock - Fiancé

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BramptonTib
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
BramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of lightBramptonTib is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 10:24 AM

the fact that the lights are fading and the horn sounds strange makes me think it's a bad/dead battery. How did you hook up the jumper cables?

Also, you mentioned the hood was open. Did anything seem out of place under the hood, maybe someone is playing a bad joke on you. Hopefully not.

Takahashi240
Hater With No Friends

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtbrnr View Post
Woke up this morning, headed to work.
Get in my car using Key fob to unlock doors.
Put key in and some dash lights come on.
Turn key to start car... nothing, not even a click.
Go to get roommate to jump my car.
Jumper wires connected, nothing new, still won't start.
Noticed the hood was popped open, but still latched
Also noticed the clock was reset to 1:00am.

When I turn the key it just clicks like it's trying to engage the started solenoid.
When I put the key in and turn, my dash lights fade in and out and blink with the clicking.
When I hit my key fob to lock or unlock it blinks my hazards really fast.
When I hit my horn it sounds like a sick duck.

This isn't a battery dead issue, otherwise the jump wouldve started it. Any ideas?
That's not necessarily true. A battery can be so low on health that it won't charge up. Think of it like a laptop. You have an initial charge where you can charge it up and use it down, but then you also have the battery health, which will determine how long the battery holds a charge.

However, if you are getting lights to blink and locks to unlock, the battery isn't necessarily the issue. Check the connections on the battery and make sure they are corrosion-free. How old is the battery?

Mr Köppen is so like the fat woman full of vitality. ! !

squirtbrnr
NewTiburon.com Novice

squirtbrnr

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 10:45 AM

Hooked the batteries up positive to positive and negative to chasis. Also tried direct terminal to terminal. Neither started the car. The battery has not been replaced for at least 2 years. The terminals are a bit corroded but were cleaned about a year ago. The last time my car was in the shop (about 3 months ago) they tested the alternator and battery. The alternator was good and the battery was producing about 600 CCA.

As for the hood, nothing out of the ordinary. I park underground in a locked basement and I pull as far forward to the wall that I can. It might've been open from the night before though, I don't know.

I'm in the tow truck now and they're going to take a look at it. Also I'm getting a rental for a few days. I hope it's something good.

2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT - Black - V6 2.7L NA - A/T - K&N CAI - LED Angel Eyes - Mine - *SOLD*

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Shark2005
NewTiburon.com God

Shark2005 is a glorious beacon of lightShark2005 is a glorious beacon of lightShark2005 is a glorious beacon of lightShark2005 is a glorious beacon of lightShark2005 is a glorious beacon of lightShark2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takahashi240 View Post
That's not necessarily true. A battery can be so low on health that it won't charge up. Think of it like a laptop. You have an initial charge where you can charge it up and use it down, but then you also have the battery health, which will determine how long the battery holds a charge.

However, if you are getting lights to blink and locks to unlock, the battery isn't necessarily the issue. Check the connections on the battery and make sure they are corrosion-free. How old is the battery?
Yes, a battery can still read 12 volts across the +/- terminals and be unable to hold a charge to start the vehicle. This just indicates that there are no open or closed cells in the battery. I believe that internally a battery can open, but has protection from shorting across the cells.
Corrosion on the battery terminals will definately cause the issue that you are having. Batteries need a good clean ground to operate properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delecroix
NewTiburon.com Expert

Delecroix is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 11:39 AM

I had a similar issue and it was a dead battery, although I was able to start the car with a boost. If you're unable to start the car even with a boost, it sounds like it could be a battery/alternator issue. As once the car is running the alternator should provide power for the car systems. Clean the terminals and try another boost. If you're unable to start the car still but still getting engagement sounds, go get the battery checked and possibly the alternator just to be on the safe side.

Edit: I think our car needs a 650CCA battery as well.

2003 5Spd 2.7L V6
Current Mods: Enkei GW8 17" rims w/ red trim, AEM SRI, Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion spark plugs, Bosch Magneto ignition wires, slit turn signals, Ralco STS, Greddy Evo2 exhaust
Soon to come: SSA V2 headers & Crower Cams
Future Mods: Red AE headlights w/ 4300K HID, M&S Carart Warrior wide body kit, black/red pearlescent paint, shaved antenna

Last edited by Delecroix; 05-09-2011 at 11:40 AM.

squirtbrnr
NewTiburon.com Novice

squirtbrnr

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 11:54 AM

Car is in the shop now. Before I left they checked the battery. It's not the battery, it's producing 610 CCA. They're thinking it's a voltage regulator, starter/solenoid, BCM, ECU in that order of replacement.

In the meantime I have a Nissan Versa to drive around in.

breeechan
Dedication to Thai Cuisine

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
breeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud ofbreeechan has much to be proud of

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 11:58 AM

ECU has nothing to do with the starter... I've (accidentally ) cranked over my engine without the ECU plugged in and was quite worried why it wouldn't fire. It could be a shorted or damaged starter, if it is shorting to ground it could discharge all the power the battery sends to it and make the dash lights dim. However, if your horn is weak it points to low current flow from the battery to the electrical system. It is probably a ground or connection issue, if the battery is ok.

Lightest DD tib? 2593 lbs and falling

Quote:
I wish I had 5 Guys inside of me right now...
Quote:
That is pretty much how I felt the first time I had Five Guys...

squirtbrnr
NewTiburon.com Novice

squirtbrnr

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 01:25 PM

I'll wait to hear from the shop what's wrong, but I do believe there is an issue with the starter. In the past 6 months ive noticed increasingly longer times to crank over the engine.

As for the battery, I'm getting it replaced today regardless if it's good or bad. I've owned the car for 2 years and never replaced the battery. It looks like a Hyundai factory battery cause it says "Hyundai" on it, but someone forgot to mark the replacement date on it. I have no records from the previous owner of ever replacing it, but it's always checked out fine.

squirtbrnr
NewTiburon.com Novice

squirtbrnr

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 04:30 PM

Ok, so i apologize for being somewhat of a hard-a** and stickler.

Shop called:
-charging circuit ok
-alternator ok
-ECU and BCM ok

It was the freaking battery... they couldnt even jump start the car it was so dead. and not just dead as in drained, there is something physically wrong internally to the battery that killed it. I don't know why they told me it was ok before I left, but if they truly did test it, then something really funky happened with the battery.

That was the most expensive diagnostic, battery replacement, and oil change I've ever had...

I know, people will say I should've tried so much more before calling a shop, but it's the time factor... I didn't have the time nor a spare battery to do my own troubleshooting, so I gave up after trying to jump start it.

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions... now I know. And the more you know...

Last edited by squirtbrnr; 05-09-2011 at 04:35 PM.

fixer
NewTiburon.com Post Master

fixer is just really nicefixer is just really nicefixer is just really nice

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 04:38 PM

if you had a dead cell in the battery then jumping it may not work...

sounds like your on the right track with it at the shop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Platinum Certified Hyundai Tech - since '99

Takahashi240
Hater With No Friends

Takahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another levelTakahashi240 is on another level

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer View Post
if you had a dead cell in the battery then jumping it may not work...

sounds like your on the right track with it at the shop.
Hey there, fixer.... didn't read the thread? lol It was the battery, he got it fixed.

fixer
NewTiburon.com Post Master

fixer is just really nicefixer is just really nicefixer is just really nice

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 04:52 PM

I was commenting on this part....its being a dead cell.

"It was the freaking battery... they couldnt even jump start the car it was so dead. and not just dead as in drained, there is something physically wrong internally to the battery that killed it. I don't know why they told me it was ok before I left, but if they truly did test it, then something really funky happened with the battery."

glad you got it fixed.... its nap time.

Platinum Certified Hyundai Tech - since '99

Takahashi240
Hater With No Friends

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 04:58 PM

Quote:
I was commenting on this part....its being a dead cell.

"It was the freaking battery... they couldnt even jump start the car it was so dead. and not just dead as in drained, there is something physically wrong internally to the battery that killed it. I don't know why they told me it was ok before I left, but if they truly did test it, then something really funky happened with the battery."

Haha, touché. Yes, it is nap time for me as well. I have to be up in 3 and a half hours for work. Goodnap NT.

squirtbrnr
NewTiburon.com Novice

squirtbrnr

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 05-09-2011 , 05:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Have a good nap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takahashi240 View Post
Haha, touché. Yes, it is nap time for me as well. I have to be up in 3 and a half hours for work. Goodnap NT.
I wish I could take a nap cause it's been a stressful day for me, but alas I am stuck at work for another hour. Then I have to return the rental, pick up my car, and then get home.

Deaconbluetr8
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Deaconbluetr8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 01-22-2014 , 09:32 AM

I've come across this thread while having the same starting problem with my son's '03 Tiburon; Car was just fine until all of the sudden - try to start the car and all we get is a "CLICK". The battery is new as of August of this year and checks out in every way to be good. Since the starting problem we have replaced the starter, which did not cure it. We checked the clutch switch and is appearing to be ok and we were able to get it to start once and after running a code scan and getting an error for the camshaft position sensor we replaced that. Still only get a "CLICK" when trying to start the car. I'm out of ideas and it's now time to consult the crowd, what else could it be? I've seen comments that the 'crankshaft position sensor' is a possible culprit also but it doesn't pop up on the code scanner.

Charlie-III
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Charlie-III is just really niceCharlie-III is just really niceCharlie-III is just really niceCharlie-III is just really nice

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 01-22-2014 , 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaconbluetr8 View Post
I've come across this thread while having the same starting problem with my son's '03 Tiburon; Car was just fine until all of the sudden - try to start the car and all we get is a "CLICK". The battery is new as of August of this year and checks out in every way to be good. Since the starting problem we have replaced the starter, which did not cure it. We checked the clutch switch and is appearing to be ok and we were able to get it to start once and after running a code scan and getting an error for the camshaft position sensor we replaced that. Still only get a "CLICK" when trying to start the car. I'm out of ideas and it's now time to consult the crowd, what else could it be? I've seen comments that the 'crankshaft position sensor' is a possible culprit also but it doesn't pop up on the code scanner.
Welcome to NewTib.

Forum rules frown on bumping threads over 1-2 months old, this is years old.

A bad/failing CPS may keep the car from firing, but not cranking.

Does anything else (electrical) die when the starter goes "click" but no crank?? Just trying to see what may be involved.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 148K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Like my help/advice? "rep points" keeps me going.
Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .

Deaconbluetr8
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Deaconbluetr8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 01-23-2014 , 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Welcome to NewTib.

Forum rules frown on bumping threads over 1-2 months old, this is years old.

A bad/failing CPS may keep the car from firing, but not cranking.

Does anything else (electrical) die when the starter goes "click" but no crank?? Just trying to see what may be involved.
I appreciate your reply even though this thread is old, when you refer to the "CPS" do you mean the crankshaft or camshaft?

Nothing else electrical is affected that we can tell.

MindHacker
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
MindHacker is just really niceMindHacker is just really niceMindHacker is just really niceMindHacker is just really nice

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 01-23-2014 , 03:43 PM

The click happens from a dead battery too, but if it won't jump-start it could also be the starter relay/solenoid? The classic shade-tree fix/diagnosis for that is to hit it with a wrench while someone turns the key, but I've never tried it on the tib. Have you tried rolling it down hill and popping the clutch? (Welcome to NT, thanks for searching, and please feel welcome to start new threads if you have a problem).

Edit: Solenoid is usually replaced with the starter, could still be the relay though (and sometimes you can fix them by banging, but i'd slap it on a table instead of hitting it with a wrench).

Go: Alpine m62 @ 5psi strut/sway/room/lower bars, DTPs, koyo rad, LW fly, +clutch, xg350 bbk, 18x8+35
Show: Lambo's, CF Hatch/hood/trim, diffuser, tint, fenders, volt stabilizer, strobes, AE's, underglow, gilllglow, custom tails
Interior: Integrated radar/eeepc/cb, dynamat, 300w sub, marble & leather, glow, sills, door plates + 2nd handles, Starlight headliner, analog clock, passenger horn
In progress: fixing these.

Last edited by MindHacker; 01-23-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Charlie-III
NewTiburon.com God

Charlie-III is just really niceCharlie-III is just really niceCharlie-III is just really niceCharlie-III is just really nice

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 01-23-2014 , 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaconbluetr8 View Post
I appreciate your reply even though this thread is old, when you refer to the "CPS" do you mean the crankshaft or camshaft?

Nothing else electrical is affected that we can tell.
CPS = "Crankshaft Position Sensor" typically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindHacker View Post
The click happens from a dead battery too, but if it won't jump-start it could also be the starter relay/solenoid? The classic shade-tree fix/diagnosis for that is to hit it with a wrench while someone turns the key, but I've never tried it on the Tib. Have you tried rolling it down hill and popping the clutch? (Welcome to NT, thanks for searching, and please feel welcome to start new threads if you have a problem).

Edit: Solenoid is usually replaced with the starter, could still be the relay though (and sometimes you can fix them by banging, but I'd slap it on a table instead of hitting it with a wrench).
A bad/failing battery will usually drop the voltage so low, everything electrical dies with the "click". Sounds like everything is working (electrically) even after the click.

Checking the starter &/or the starter solenoid is a start (no pun intended).

Also check voltage at the starter when attempting a start (to see if it's a bad cable to it).

If you're on a slight hill when it "clicks" again, yes, a rolling bump start may help figure out what's happening.

My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .

Tubbsy
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Tubbsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 01-27-2014 , 09:21 PM

I have a similar problem but didn't want to start a new thread so I will post it here. Two days ago when I went to go start my car the lights flicked on when I put the key in the ignition, then I tried to turn it over and nothing, no cranking or anything, no dash lights or any lights to speak of in the car, power locks don't work or anything. So I thought maybe it had something to do with the battery, not being very electrically inclined, but then after waiting a few minutes and trying to turn it over, over and over again it starts and voila everything's fine. Then it worked for the next few times I started it up.

Today, comes the really odd part. My car unlocks with the key fob as I am leaving class, but then once I get in the car it fails to start, all the lights are nonfunctioning, etc again. I get out and look at the battery this time, notice a little corrosion but not much, not having anything on me to clean it off, I get back in and try to start it again and it works. Worked the rest of the day. SO, is this something wrong with a fuse, or some loose wiring? What's going on?

Charlie-III
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 01-27-2014 , 09:31 PM

Could be a bad/loose connection at the battery.

Best is to check battery voltage. At rest (engine off) it should be ~12.7 volts to 13.5 volts. When starting, it may drop, a little is fine, a lot is bad.
Engine running, battery should be ~13.8-14.5 volts.

How old is the battery?
If ~4+ years old, it may be time to replace, but checking charging voltage 1st.
Short trips can drop battery voltage since it never gets fully charged before the next start. Cold makes this worse.

MindHacker
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
MindHacker is just really niceMindHacker is just really niceMindHacker is just really niceMindHacker is just really nice

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 01-29-2014 , 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbsy View Post
I have a similar problem but didn't want to start a new thread so I will post it here. Two days ago when I went to go start my car the lights flicked on when I put the key in the ignition, then I tried to turn it over and nothing, no cranking or anything, no dash lights or any lights to speak of in the car, power locks don't work or anything. So I thought maybe it had something to do with the battery, not being very electrically inclined, but then after waiting a few minutes and trying to turn it over, over and over again it starts and voila everything's fine. Then it worked for the next few times I started it up.

Today, comes the really odd part. My car unlocks with the key fob as I am leaving class, but then once I get in the car it fails to start, all the lights are nonfunctioning, etc again. I get out and look at the battery this time, notice a little corrosion but not much, not having anything on me to clean it off, I get back in and try to start it again and it works. Worked the rest of the day. SO, is this something wrong with a fuse, or some loose wiring? What's going on?
My tib did that too last week, (starts perfectly fine sometimes, had no power others) I'm guessing the bitter cold is causing a relay to stick. Just a guess though. Seems to have gone away.

Go: Alpine m62 @ 5psi strut/sway/room/lower bars, DTPs, koyo rad, LW fly, +clutch, xg350 bbk, 18x8+35
Show: Lambo's, CF Hatch/hood/trim, diffuser, tint, fenders, volt stabilizer, strobes, AE's, underglow, gilllglow, custom tails
Interior: Integrated radar/eeepc/cb, dynamat, 300w sub, marble & leather, glow, sills, door plates + 2nd handles, Starlight headliner, analog clock, passenger horn
In progress: fixing these.

Charlie-III
NewTiburon.com God

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 01-30-2014 , 07:13 AM

Keep in mind, pulling power out of any battery is a chemical process. Most chemical processes work better when warm.
A cold battery does not work as well as a warm battery, but, when you try to start an old & cold battery you warm it up internally.
This may be part of why you tried to start, and nothing, then try a minute later (the warmth has spread a bit) and it works a little better. Just enough to get it to crank & start.

Still, you need to make sure the battery connections are clean & tight, grounds are good (especially the engine to firewall braid) and avoid real short trips.

tibs80
NewTiburon.com Newbie

tibs80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Re: So my Tib won't start... 02-01-2014 , 11:46 AM

I have an 03 Tiburon, when I turn the key I hear the starter relay click but no cranking, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.